Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Groovelord Neato posted:

i like how you can tell the fake accuser is juicing because of how lovely his skin is.

Probably why he got kicked out of the army tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scopes
Jun 5, 2004

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I used to work with a guy who got a "Too dumb for the Corps" discharge and he was one of the least useful humans I have ever met.

At two years most of us were barely useful as Marines, much less humans. Minimum enlistment for non-tech MOSs was (is?) 4 years, and at minimum the first 6-12 months get eaten up by boot camp & MOS schools. The dude is - and I think current events support this hypothesis - probably an impressively spectacular dumbass, getting the boot after only 1-1.5 years at his first duty station. I'm betting dumb crimes or drugs (it's drugs).

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

random question. let's say the dems win in 2020 and take over the trade negotiations with china, and are trying to negotiate but there's no deal yet so tariffs remain in place

does china shift their tariffs from the "gently caress the trump base" tariffs to ones that target democratic voters or just leave them as-is?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Mooseontheloose posted:

That's what happens when you pray to a horse god.

"Horse god, save me from impeachment!"

N͉̮̥̱e͈̜̫̹̞̥i͕͖̱͔̟͚̬g̙h͍̟̺̮͇̟ͅ

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Mind_Taker posted:

Why is Jacob Wohl not in prison yet?

Same reason why Trump isn't in prison, this timeline is stupid.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

evilweasel posted:

random question. let's say the dems win in 2020 and take over the trade negotiations with china, and are trying to negotiate but there's no deal yet so tariffs remain in place

does china shift their tariffs from the "gently caress the trump base" tariffs to ones that target democratic voters or just leave them as-is?

I mean, isn't the point of a trade war is that literally no one benefits? If you are China, you ask for a negotiating team to reset trade relations and maybe can get a concession or two out of it but I thought China wants our goods too, so palm slam that reset button.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I used to work with a guy who got a "Too dumb for the Corps" discharge and he was one of the least useful humans I have ever met.

Oof, I was a marine and never even met one, they're like unicorns who can best serve their country through fulfilling the fatherly 'you can help by watching' role.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

evilweasel posted:

They'd probably leave them as is, assuming the intent of the negotiations are to end the trade war.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

"Horse god, save me from impeachment!"

N͉̮̥̱e͈̜̫̹̞̥i͕͖̱͔̟͚̬g̙h͍̟̺̮͇̟ͅ

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Y’all the double dare guy is a ‘it was just a joke’ chud and it’s wild.

https://twitter.com/realmarcsummers/status/1180158562510819328?s=21

https://twitter.com/realmarcsummers/status/1180196537239916544?s=21

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mooseontheloose posted:

I mean, isn't the point of a trade war is that literally no one benefits? If you are China, you ask for a negotiating team to reset trade relations and maybe can get a concession or two out of it but I thought China wants our goods too, so palm slam that reset button.

there's been bipartisan agreement that china is not "playing by the rules" on trade for some time so a democratic president would have every incentive to keep the trade war on given they can blame trump for the pain and can try to collect the win

they would potentially be able to get to a deal, while trump no longer can, because they'd probably be trusted to implement a deal if one was reached and everyone realizes trump won't

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I hope someone goes and coughs on Marc Summers then, gently caress that.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

evilweasel posted:

there's been bipartisan agreement that china is not "playing by the rules" on trade for some time so a democratic president would have every incentive to keep the trade war on given they can blame trump for the pain and can try to collect the win

they would potentially be able to get to a deal, while trump no longer can, because they'd probably be trusted to implement a deal if one was reached and everyone realizes trump won't

I wonder if there is a trade of IP stealing in exchange for us not caring about currency manipulation?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lmao - we had to wait in this case until Wednesday for Barr's DOJ to file a first-ever-in-history brief in support of Trumps immunity from all investigation, and now his private lawyers demand immediate rulings in their favor before a strict deadline of Monday at 9am or else they appeal

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1180216434124820485

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

skylined! posted:

Trump keeping his options for non extradition countries open I guess.

https://twitter.com/time/status/1180199624566562816?s=21

Maybe Kim can bribe Trump to make the DPRK his presidency-in-exile despotic regime of choice by offering to brand the Ryugyong Hotel as a Trump International.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

eke out posted:

lmao - we had to wait in this case until Wednesday for Barr's DOJ to file a first-ever-in-history brief in support of Trumps immunity from all investigation, and now his private lawyers demand immediate rulings in their favor before a strict deadline of Monday at 9am or else they appeal

Is that even a thing?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
A thought occurred to me - what if Barr or Trump were to announce a special counsel to investigate the whole Ukraine thing? It'd take the immediate heat off of Trump/impeachment, while giving Barr the power to curtail any serious investigation.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

eke out posted:

If there's one thing judges love, it's taking orders.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Also if you were in Normandy maybe take it up with the French, you idiot.

I'm sure someone will say "it's just a joke, get a sense of humor" after giving Marc Summers an OCD attack by sneezing on him.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

eke out posted:

They can thank NY state court’s stupid-rear end practice of immediate interlocutory appeals for that

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mooseontheloose posted:

I wonder if there is a trade of IP stealing in exchange for us not caring about currency manipulation?

i believe there is widespread expert agreement they stopped the currency manipulation, it just hasn't filtered down to people who heard they were doing it a while back. that's why the treasury department never followed through on trump's promise to label them a currency manipulator until he got mad and did it on twitter.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Do we have to post every tweet by chudfucking z list celebrities?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

The Glumslinger posted:

Is that even a thing?

the idea is that if an event that will cause you irreparable harm is going to happen if a judge refuses to rule on your motion in time, you can appeal to try to save your chances of getting that relief before the harm is done

but here, Mazars isn't going to just produce trump's tax info to the Manhattan DA if the judge hasn't ruled by Monday

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

If there's one thing judges love, it's taking orders.

Yeah I don't see how this doesn't end in the judge going "Motion denied".

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

The Iranians targeted Trump's email servers.
https://twitter.com/nicoleperlroth/status/1180210937908711424?s=20

However, Trump is nearly the only candidate who uses Microsoft for email, so it's possible they targeted other candidates and Google just hasn't discussed it publicly.
https://twitter.com/zackwhittaker/status/1180180930738081792?s=20

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/byyourlogic/status/1180217845155876865?s=21

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
So if aliens were real Trump would have blurted it out at some point, right?

Kind of a bummer. Unless that is in the season finale.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Glumslinger posted:

Is that even a thing?

it makes sense to me that doctrine exists. the idea being that a preliminary injunction is something you need right now (or you face "irreparable harm"). if one gets denied and you have a right to appeal, you can do an emergency appeal - but if the lower court just sits on their hands until it's too late and you had no remedy, that would be bad.

but of course "i don't want the public and state prosecutors and congress to find out i'm a crook" is not irreparable harm

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

He's not actually a CHUD afaik, just an old.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Angry_Ed posted:

Yeah I don't see how this doesn't end in the judge going "Motion denied".

trump's legal team (including the DOJ) don't care because they expect to lose at lower courts and then have the supreme court rule in their favor "because gently caress you liberals, thats why" and are trying to get it in front of the supreme court asap as a result

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

If he only served two years because of something other than a debilitating injury, he did something reeeealy stupid.

Well, he did work with Wohl. So I think that speaks for itself.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

funny but there's nobody shifting from "no" to "yes", it's just one guy who has no idea what trump did so he has no idea if the house should impeach but figures if it's good enough for the house it's good enough for him

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

DaveWoo posted:

A thought occurred to me - what if Barr or Trump were to announce a special counsel to investigate the whole Ukraine thing? It'd take the immediate heat off of Trump/impeachment, while giving Barr the power to curtail any serious investigation.
And what, the House Dems would just go along with it? Regardless, "I'm hand-picking a special counsel to investigate me" isn't exactly a good look and everyone would see it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DaveWoo posted:

trump would immediately fire barr if barr did anything of the sort

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Marc Summers was once in a car accident when he was sitting in the back of a taxi and it stopped short, propelling him forward and breaking every bone in his face on the credit card reader. I think of that every time I'm in a taxi and now you will too!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1180219937329225728

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I thought we knew this last week, and we knew Bill Barr had immediately shut it down without asking anyone anything.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Slowpoke! posted:

Honest to God he's the dumbest and least intellectually curious person on the entire planet. There are two scenarios for this.

1) They're smart enough to know how to keep it from him

Or, and honestly this feels way more likely,

2) he's never even asked.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Riptor posted:

Marc Summers was once in a car accident when he was sitting in the back of a taxi and it stopped short, propelling him forward and breaking every bone in his face on the credit card reader. I think of that every time I'm in a taxi and now you will too!

Did someone double dare him to not wear his seat belt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Slowpoke! posted:

I expect there’s a LOT of info that the IC is keeping from Trump.