Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sky islands and solving the problem of moving between them to secure resources is still infinitely more interesting than Yet More Sieving.

Was thinking a little bit about the Artificer mini-pack I have (literally just mods cobbled together with no integration), and I'm beginning to think that IE is totally superfluous for it and out of scope for the concept of the class. It sounds cool to merge old 1800s electric tech into magical artifice, but I'm probably going to remove it, especially since guns and drills are outclassed by Tinkers. IE is also bloated as gently caress.

Edit: Does anyone else think that Actually Additions needs to be broken up further? It's got way too much poo poo in it and its scope is all over the place.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

Edit: Does anyone else think that Actually Additions needs to be broken up further? It's got way too much poo poo in it and its scope is all over the place.
Yeah. It has some cool vanilla++ blocks. Then it has fps-destroyers like canola. Then it has infinite free ores in your first few hours with lens of the miner. It's all over the place with no unified theme or internal consistency. Some stuff is real expensive for no apparent reason and the strongest things border on free.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

AA should definitely be split up, but then half the mod wouldn't be used. Like, it adds the Powered Furnace and the Double Crusher, but who the hell uses the Double Crusher in any pack unless there's one specific item that you can't get out of a faster, cheaper machine to build? In any pack that uses it, I pretty much just make a drill, set up some item/energy/fluid lasers, and rely heavily on the small storage crates until I have an AE type system set up.

My ideal AA mod would pretty much have the AIOTs, drills, (non quarry) lasers, crates, the empowerer/reconstructor, batteries, and then some of the functional tools and poo poo from dead mods, like Aura Cascade's Amulet of the Angel's Wing.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Whalley posted:

AA should definitely be split up, but then half the mod wouldn't be used. Like, it adds the Powered Furnace and the Double Crusher, but who the hell uses the Double Crusher in any pack unless there's one specific item that you can't get out of a faster, cheaper machine to build? In any pack that uses it, I pretty much just make a drill, set up some item/energy/fluid lasers, and rely heavily on the small storage crates until I have an AE type system set up.

My ideal AA mod would pretty much have the AIOTs, drills, (non quarry) lasers, crates, the empowerer/reconstructor, batteries, and then some of the functional tools and poo poo from dead mods, like Aura Cascade's Amulet of the Angel's Wing.

Mods usually design themselves to be used in a vacuum. The reason the double crusher is there is so you can get ore doubling if AA is the only mod you've installed. It's not necessarily there to add value in a modpack environment.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Also Seablock: Rustic Waters should be out tomorrow so that'll be a nice distraction.

anyone know when, at all? and also how, i guess - is this gonna be on the twitch launcher?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Amnesia is good for a laugh or two, but it isn't actually all that fun to play. Skip.

Whalley posted:

Khorne posted:

Yeah. It has some cool vanilla++ blocks. Then it has fps-destroyers like canola. Then it has infinite free ores in your first few hours with lens of the miner. It's all over the place with no unified theme or internal consistency. Some stuff is real expensive for no apparent reason and the strongest things border on free.

Hah, I haven't even looked that far into it. Kinda lame, honestly - I'd love to just break that thing up.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Mods usually design themselves to be used in a vacuum. The reason the double crusher is there is so you can get ore doubling if AA is the only mod you've installed. It's not necessarily there to add value in a modpack environment.

Why does AA have to provide ore doubling? Why not just use...something else?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hey, guess who's an idiot and doesn't know the difference between the woods and a village?

http://lifeinthewoods.ca/

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/life-in-the-village

:goleft:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Ambaire posted:

Or minimize the launch window and also have it load really fast. Just wait for the menu music to reopen it. Works for all modpacks, by the way. Something about doing window refreshes to update what it's doing slows the load way down.

:eyepop: whaaaaaaattt

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Pollyanna posted:

Why does AA have to provide ore doubling? Why not just use...something else?

Because it's designed to not require anything else. To put it in reverse, why is it bad that it has an ore doubler? You can ignore it freely and nothing bad happens.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Nearly every mod is designed in a vacuum. While everyone knows modpacks are the standard for modded Minecraft, you can't know what the end user is going to have in their pack except the mod you're making. So anything with any degree of progression includes an ore doubler mechanic, presumably so you spend more time interacting with the mod itself and less time with vanilla Minecraft mining mechanics.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

"Waiting Time"

Screw this mod...I almost gave up on PO3 when I saw they added it unironically. I remember OG or Caz defending it when the pack was first released too. And it's still in the pack! Ugh..

Anyways, annoyances aside, been playing Titan mode and it's forced me to finally play Astral Sorcery and Blood Magic. Gotta say, Astral is amazing!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

DawnOfMinstrel posted:

Being a bit tired of skyblocks myself, I'm trying to roll my own small modpack on the Twitch app with the Biome Bundle for the OTG+ mod, but I'm running into a compatibility problem: the terrain generation seems to go nuts when combined with Thermal Expansion mods (I think CoFH World specifically).

I couldn't find anything on how to resolve this on a short Google search. Will I have to dive into the OTG+ wiki to find a solution? Or, alternatively, can anyone recommend a worldgen mod they enjoy that won't have these issues?
I am begging you from one player to another not to use the OTG+ Biome Bundle. Only after I'd finally gotten a couple hours into a server set up with friends did I realize the biome generation is hosed up (and according to the page's bug reports, has been for years) and all the leaf blocks on all the trees in all the generated biomes are incorrectly generated. They're marked as player-placed and thus will never decay on their own.
If you play Biome Bundle with OTG+, you will have to manually break or burn every single leaf block in your world.

I had to scrap that world and start over. Just save yourself the hassle and use Biomes O'Plenty instead.

Pollyanna posted:

Was thinking a little bit about the Artificer mini-pack I have (literally just mods cobbled together with no integration), and I'm beginning to think that IE is totally superfluous for it and out of scope for the concept of the class. It sounds cool to merge old 1800s electric tech into magical artifice, but I'm probably going to remove it, especially since guns and drills are outclassed by Tinkers. IE is also bloated as gently caress.
I had this feeling myself when assembling a pack of light QoL, some magic, and minimal tech. Eventually I realized the tech didn't really help at all and ended up scrapping Thermal Expansion and its suite from the pack because who really cares, especially if that's all it's got. Less is usually more here, especially if you already have Tinkers Construct for ore doubling and tools. Personally I passed on TC and just used Pulvus for convenience of ore doubling and misc processing (like wool to string).

Pollyanna posted:

Amnesia is good for a laugh or two, but it isn't actually all that fun to play. Skip.
Tried it myself this morning and while it's not at all what I'm looking for in a pack, myself, it's kind of amazing. The fact that things like processing recipes and fuel processing don't change means traditionally valuable items still can be, and the random nature of the pack doesn't just make every item interchangeable. Finding I could turn a single sugarcane into a 64k storage module was a hell of a boon.
It also benefits from the crafters that can save a recipe between amnesia waves, and the expensive anti-amnesia potions that can permanently reset an item to its normal recipes. Combine those all and you could get some very interesting farming operations going. In practice, though, yeah, you're probably going to spend half an hour searching for a way to make chests and a crafting table, then break the game over your knee by just cycling log types every wave and seeing which one gives you an endgame sword/chestplate or what have you.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 4, 2019

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Xun posted:

:eyepop: whaaaaaaattt

I discovered that a year or two ago and it works with all modpacks, from 1.7.10 to 1.12. GTNH in particular speeds up a bunch.

edit: to reiterate for those who cba to follow the quote chain:

After launching a modpack, while it does its loading thing, minimize the window and it will load significantly faster. I wait for the menu music to start before reopening it.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 4, 2019

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Vib Rib posted:

I am begging you from one player to another not to use the OTG+ Biome Bundle. Only after I'd finally gotten a couple hours into a server set up with friends did I realize the biome generation is hosed up (and according to the page's bug reports, has been for years) and all the leaf blocks on all the trees in all the generated biomes are incorrectly generated. They're marked as player-placed and thus will never decay on their own.
If you play Biome Bundle with OTG+, you will have to manually break or burn every single leaf block in your world.

Other problems with Biome Bundle I've discovered while running a modpack with it:

- very few of the 440 biomes have Biome Dictionary IDs in their configs, so modded mobs or trees tied to biome tags will not spawn. You need to fix this yourself before generating the world, because the biome dictionary tags will not populate retroactively. If you want to skip the hassle, just copy the biome bundle files from the Jebcraft modpack in PGS, I've done the work for you.
- some biome IDs conflict with the twilight forest, causing, e.g., fire swamps to spawn in the overworld. Again, I've fixed that and you can copy the files out of my modpack
- it uses a bespoke mob spawner, which conflicts with Multimob/Primitive Mobs's bespoke spawner. I think both mods are at fault here, there's no need for that crap.
- some biomes added by mods, such as Thaumcraft's Magical Forest, just don't ever generate.

Still, Biome Bundle worlds are loving gorgeous. BoP is trash by comparison. And the problem with tree leaves (which only applies to the custom trees spawned at worldgen) isn't such a big deal if your modpack includes veinminer or similar. If I were going to start over from scratch, I might replace BB with the (recently updated) Realistic Terrain Gen, but it would be a close call.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

anyone know when, at all? and also how, i guess - is this gonna be on the twitch launcher?

It's supposed to be out today and as far as I can tell should be on twitch or just downloadable through curse site.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

Still, Biome Bundle worlds are loving gorgeous. BoP is trash by comparison. And the problem with tree leaves (which only applies to the custom trees spawned at worldgen) isn't such a big deal if your modpack includes veinminer or similar. If I were going to start over from scratch, I might replace BB with the (recently updated) Realistic Terrain Gen, but it would be a close call.
They're pretty, but I wasn't remotely impressed enough to deal with the leaves thing. That's an absolute dealbreaker, especially as some of the trees are humongous. How the hell could this bug exist for years and nobody on their team bothered to fixed it?

OgNar posted:

It's supposed to be out today and as far as I can tell should be on twitch or just downloadable through curse site.
According to the pack creator they're just waiting on approval at this point and it'll be live.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Maguoob posted:

Yes you will have to move between the various islands, so if you play it I hope you like building dirt bridges. There is a glider thing you can make, but it doesn’t go up. Though that may change as it is still being worked on and obviously no eta for release.

I’d imagine the astral sorcery perk for flight is going to be rather popular for anyone that actually plays and knows how astral sorcery works, but iirc AS was an age 3 thing.

If they move around some of the progression this could work real well. In normal SevTech you have a quest to make an airship, but it comes when you both don't need to explore and you already have close enough to flight from AS. Make that a WAY earlier tech and this could be a major improvement.

Arkitektbmw posted:

Anyways, annoyances aside, been playing Titan mode and it's forced me to finally play Astral Sorcery and Blood Magic. Gotta say, Astral is amazing!

My only gripe with AS remains "how do I make a cool build of this without doing floating islands, uh again?"

DawnOfMinstrel
Jun 27, 2013

Vib Rib posted:

I had to scrap that world and start over. Just save yourself the hassle and use Biomes O'Plenty instead.

Yeesh, that sounds bad. No loss though, something added a "realistic" terrain generation option (not actual RTG though I think), and the smooth transitions along with nice flat areas are currently pleasing enough. Especially after spending so much time in Stoneblock.

Also, I mostly wanted just the basic Thermal Expansion mod to get more ores for TiCon build variety. I love how bronze allows me to save iron for all the other mods, which are always iron-hungry.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

DawnOfMinstrel posted:

Yeesh, that sounds bad. No loss though, something added a "realistic" terrain generation option (not actual RTG though I think), and the smooth transitions along with nice flat areas are currently pleasing enough. Especially after spending so much time in Stoneblock.
That's probably Quark doing that! It's very nice and manages a sort of Vanilla+ terrain gen that doesn't require new useless blocks like BoP does. Always a reliable standby.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Trying to load up a 1.14.4 modpack, but I've added a few mods and for some reason when all are in the mods folder 0 mods load, so going through the new mods one by one and loading to see which is causing the problem.
I'm guess one is a Fabric mod and isn't labeled correctly.

Now mods on curse are just labeled forge and not the version, so if the modmaker hasnt put the version in the filename it can be hit or miss on finding the right version.

e: poo poo that was my fault, missed a library.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 4, 2019

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
oh man rustic waters looks so fun i watched a couple videos on the youtubes

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pollyanna posted:

Hey, guess who's an idiot and doesn't know the difference between the woods and a village?

http://lifeinthewoods.ca/

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/life-in-the-village

:goleft:
Oh lol I thought that was just a slip of the tongue fingers, didn't realize there was another thing actually called that :v:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

It's out.

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/seablock-rustic-waters

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Ah, rustic waters doesn't have toasts disabled. Is there any drawback to using "/recipe give @p *" to clear out all the recipe notifications?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Tip
In Rustic waters, cobblegen = Creosote/Cobble/purified water.
For those that didnt watch the LP.

e: this actually runs fairly decent on my old laptop

OgNar fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 4, 2019

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

oh nice i didn't realise that

it's pretty good so far but yikes at multiple different crafting tables with fluid requirements. not too painful, though

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

OgNar posted:

e: this actually runs fairly decent on my old laptop
Really? It's running very poorly for me, even by Minecraft modpack standards.
It took a long time to get stabilized after worldgen and I was getting a lot of block lag, but eventually it evened out. Now it's pretty okay but every time I open my inventory (or a container/UI) the game freezes/chugs for about a half a second.

Also, I can't seem to harvest mature Harvestcraft fruit, like the apples growing at the start, by right-clicking them. Isn't that how that's supposed to work? Problem on my end, or do they expect you to harvest them some other way?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

Really? It's running very poorly for me, even by Minecraft modpack standards.
It took a long time to get stabilized after worldgen and I was getting a lot of block lag, but eventually it evened out. Now it's pretty okay but every time I open my inventory (or a container/UI) the game freezes/chugs for about a half a second.

Also, I can't seem to harvest mature Harvestcraft fruit, like the apples growing at the start, by right-clicking them. Isn't that how that's supposed to work? Problem on my end, or do they expect you to harvest them some other way?

Just break the apples, they will drop more sprouts to replant than you will ever need.

In general I have a hard time running big packs, but this has not given me any problems.
I am running Optifine in it though, only change I've made besides turning a few things down in video settings.

Overall, Rustic Waters is a pretty decent pack....so far.
It is a little grindy with multiple crafting tables needing multiple liquids (for someone like me who hates even the tiniest grind) but not so bad that i'll stop.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Started playing the Rustic Waters pack. How do I hide the registry/oredict tooltips? Not sure why the pack dev enabled them by default.. guess they forgot to disable em again

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I did a fresh install and it's running better for me now, though I can't imagine what of the few small mods I'd added that would've tanked performance and added that inventory lag. It actually seems to run better for me without Optifine than with, but I wonder if it's more to blame on something else.

Also Pam's Harvestcraft apples don't seem to drop sprouts, that must be the Cyclic ones.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I'm just waiting a million years for the string I need for fabric mesh right now. Got both my hopping bonsais on spider tree duty.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

taiyoko posted:

I'm just waiting a million years for the string I need for fabric mesh right now. Got both my hopping bonsais on spider tree duty.

Make string with leaves>vines>string

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

so is rustic waters even remotely comparable to blightfall

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Johnny Joestar posted:

No. I'm only really interested in it for Better Diving, because that sounds cool.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Johnny Joestar posted:

No.
It's more like Skyblock, Craft of the Titans, and a tiny bit of Subnautica (mostly the aesthetics and options). It's not a handmade world and while exploration is a significant part it's not comparable, no.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i figured most things wouldn't have the handcrafted world but the comparison to subnautica at least made me hope it mostly focused on finding neat stuff and fleshing out your base than endlessly grinding certain things

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

I heard modded minecraft was a big inspiration for factorio so I'm giving it a shot. I'm playing FTB ultimate reloaded because its light-weight enough to run well on my laptop, and because I imagine the old-school mods are closer to what the factorio devs probably played. Anyway, before I get too far I was wondering if anyone can recommend mods that overhaul cave generation to be more interesting, without tanking performance?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
This isn't really what you're asking for, but I just wanna throw out there that Omnifactory is probably the best processing-heavy modpack I've played that's explicitly about building up a big factory and gradually turning every complex step of production into something fully automated that's just pumping out nonstop resources. That said, while it does have a great questbook to guide you through it, you may need some familiarity with mods in general before you hop in, since it's far from a beginner's pack.

As for caves though, Worley's Caves makes cave structures much bigger and more open/branching, as opposed to a cluster of tiny, narrow tunnels with no real variation. I'd strongly recommend it.
Additionally, Quark adds a few underground microbiomes and stalactites/stalagmites, plus reorganizes rare rock structures (diorite, andesite, and granite) into huge clusters. Good convenience mod to begin with and it's a start for what you want.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

That looks perfect, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
Rustic Waters having the Artisan workbenches killed my desire to ever give it a try. When playing minecraft with dumb extended crafted recipes all I could think was, "man I wish I could make this even more stupid by requiring a loving fluid as well!" Thanks to DDSS for at least showing me another mod to hate.