Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I looked it up a while ago and apparently it's neither really obfuscation nor a type of DRM. It's a weird Microsoft-homegrown content delivery solution called Universal Windows Platform that uses a weird packaging system and which nobody else really cares to use. Probably an attempt to push the product more than to protect the content.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Windows_Platform

Apparently not all games on PC Game Pass even use it, just the ones with weirdly inaccessible folders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Zipperelli. posted:

R* has a not-terrible launcher. I'll probably grab it from there and enjoy playing on November 5th.

No matter what storefront you get it from, you'll still be able to play with anyone wont you? I really don't get the hate for multiple launchers, it's not like the launcher costs you money, unlike console exclusives do.

I just don't want a few dozen launchers sitting in the background taking up space and resources. I have a better computer now than when I first made that choice, but habits die hard, and there's more launchers now. I tried Origin without having it start at launch, but then every time I decided to play an Origin game I'd have to sit around and wait for it to do a bunch of updates and eventually I got sick of it.

Anyways, I'm baffled at this launch plan, but I've been interested in this. Will it require the Rockstar Launcher if you buy it on Steam? I don't want a Uplay situation.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cardiovorax posted:

I looked it up a while ago and apparently it's neither really obfuscation nor a type of DRM. It's a weird Microsoft-homegrown content delivery solution called Universal Windows Platform that uses a weird packaging system and which nobody else really cares to use. Probably an attempt to push the product more than to protect the content.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Windows_Platform

Apparently not all games on PC Game Pass even use it, just the ones with weirdly inaccessible folders.

Their recent/future games are Win32 applications, because Microsoft is mostly abandoning UWP :v:

Maybe I get to play Forza again one day.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Well, that clearly worked out well for them, lol.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Doesn’t GTA V on Steam now use the Rockstar launcher?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

orcane posted:

Their recent/future games are Win32 applications, because Microsoft is mostly abandoning UWP :v:

Maybe I get to play Forza again one day.

Oh thank God. When I was doing IT work a few years ago, the way they were trying to ape app stores as a replacement to our agreed upon programs was a loving nightmare.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Barry Convex posted:

lol at RDR2 PC being exclusive to EGS for all of one month. dunno how much Epic paid for that but can't imagine they'll get many sales with that narrow an exclusivity window

https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/61153/Red-Dead-Redemption-2-Coming-to-PC-November-5th

But the general rule is that a game makes the majority of its revenue in the first two weeks? One month to snap up the people who want to buy immediately and at full price is something worth paying something for.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mill Village posted:

Doesn’t GTA V on Steam now use the Rockstar launcher?

Yup.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Well that kills any chance of me ever buying any of their games again. Just kidding, that died with GTA online.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Seems like a good time for anyone who owns games on Epic to start making hard backups.

Make backups and look for cracks if Shakedown Hawaii is an example of the norm.

I bet Epic went to Rockstar with an offer number on a piece of paper and the Rockstar guy just wrote a zero at the end of it.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

A good poster posted:

Make backups and look for cracks if Shakedown Hawaii is an example of the norm.

I bet Epic went to Rockstar with an offer number on a piece of paper and the Rockstar guy just wrote a zero at the end of it.
Then they crossed out the 2 in twelve months and handed it back.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Alchenar posted:

But the general rule is that a game makes the majority of its revenue in the first two weeks? One month to snap up the people who want to buy immediately and at full price is something worth paying something for.

GTA:V still gets shitloads of sales from idiots re-buying it after getting banned from online. RDR2 shouldn't be any different.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
How friendly is the EGS to modding? I figured that'd be one reason for a lot of folks wanting RDR2 on PC.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It has no Workshop equivalent, but the files aren't encrypted, so it's basically as friendly to modding as the architecture of the game is natively.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Yeah, but the game has been out for a year already so now they're selling it to people who didn't buy it 'cause it wasn't available on their preferred platform.

It'll be an interesting test

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Cardiovorax posted:

It has no Workshop equivalent, but the files aren't encrypted, so it's basically as friendly to modding as the architecture of the game is natively.

Ah, shouldn't be too much of an issue then. Should still be some time before the first mods are ready though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Ah, shouldn't be too much of an issue then. Should still be some time before the first mods are ready though.
Well, there are apparently already a few console mods and while the executable will certainly be different, I don't think the structure of the packaged data files will change a lot, or even at all. Those should be fairly easy to move over to PC, so I think there will be a decent number of ready-made day 1 mods.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im gonna pick up RDR2 on the Rockstar Launcher probs

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

How friendly is the EGS to modding? I figured that'd be one reason for a lot of folks wanting RDR2 on PC.

Uhh... agnostic? EGS won't do anything for or against modding.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Turin Turambar posted:

Uhh... agnostic? EGS won't do anything for or against modding.

cool av username combo

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

EGS does support modding in a small way but hides it under its bad shop UI. Basically when you scroll the shop page all the way down there's a section with available modding dev kits that you can download from within the client. If RDR2 offered one it would be there, hidden, used by nobody. There's also no way to browse other people's mods, it's no Steam Workshop.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I’m curious how big the PC version of RDR2 will be, considering the console version came on two discs.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

According to Google, installing it on your PS4 hard drive takes 99 to 150 gigabytes, depending on version. I do not doubt that the PC version will be on the upper end of that.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Cardiovorax posted:

According to Google, installing it on your PS4 hard drive takes 99 to 150 gigabytes, depending on version.

The gently caress are they doing with all that? Full, big rear end MMOs don't even take up that much space. Does it download uncompressed voice files for every single language option or something?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Hell if I know, but it's entirely possible. The two biggest factors in game size as a rule are textures and audio files, in that order. RDR2 is a ginormous game with a ton of highly varied environments, outfits and optional skins to put on basically anything and everything, on top of having NPC chatter and cutscenes out the rear end, so I'm not really surprised that it would clock in pretty high in that regard.

Better compression could probably slim it down to a degree, but if you go too far with that you get problems like CPU bottlenecking, because that kind of decompression tends to be expensive either in CPU time (if the package files themselves need to be decompressed) or GPU time (when the textures are loaded into memory in a compressed format and only decompressed wherever they are needed.)

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Bungie said Destiny 2 has 30 gb of audio because console manufacturers demand all the audio be available to change whenever.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Schubalts posted:

The gently caress are they doing with all that? Full, big rear end MMOs don't even take up that much space. Does it download uncompressed voice files for every single language option or something?
HD textures and uncompressed audio with a touch of redundant art assets so you can reduce your HDD seek time by just enough to matter.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Cardiovorax posted:

Better compression could probably slim it down to a degree, but if you go too far with that you get problems like CPU bottlenecking, because that kind of decompression tends to be expensive either in CPU time (if the package files themselves need to be decompressed) or GPU time (when the textures are loaded into memory in a compressed format and only decompressed wherever they are needed.)

It can be surprising how much it can make a difference. Simply using Windows folder compression for ARK Survival Evolved and the DLC reduces its size by over half. And off a hard drive, reduces the loading time.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I’m sure PCs can handle that but current consoles cannot. Apparently the PS5 can do some magic with SSDs that may make some compression practical again. Spider-Man PS4 takes about 8 seconds to load on PS4 Pro. It takes 0.8 seconds on PS5.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gamesradar.com/amp/ps5-gameplay-reveal/

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, it's a trade-off. Better compression means lower read times, but higher calculation overhead. There tends to be a sweet spot that depends on both hardware and compression method. They're not all equally mathematically demanding, even when they're equally effective.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Are there any games let you split installs across SSD/Hard drives?

While SSDs are slowly getting bigger, so are the games.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Buy more SSDs

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

There are ways to make your computer treat multiple drives as a single storage device. It's not recommended, though, because you can lose substantial amounts of data if just one drive fails. Using symbolic link trickery is another option. That is much safer.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Croccers posted:

Buy more SSDs

Buy enough RAM to install your OS and game onto it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Largepotato posted:

Are there any games let you split installs across SSD/Hard drives?

While SSDs are slowly getting bigger, so are the games.

I don't think so.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Mill Village posted:

I’m sure PCs can handle that but current consoles cannot. Apparently the PS5 can do some magic with SSDs that may make some compression practical again. Spider-Man PS4 takes about 8 seconds to load on PS4 Pro. It takes 0.8 seconds on PS5.

Decompression at the speed of spinning rust is old hat, especially even on consoles. The PS4 uses a Jaguar CPU, being essentially an AMD Sempron, so it has all the right bits for for SIMD style decompression.

Decompressing LZ4 can be as efficient as 1 byte/cycle on modern CPU instruction sets, and you can happily implement LZ4 decompression on embedded cores without much RAM usage, there's really no excuse. In any case, the PS4 has zlib decompression in silicon, so it's all moot anyway. Not compressing the assets at publish time is a dumb idea.

That a PS4 with a disk drive is slower than a PS5 with what's probably NVMe, should be no surprise. There's a reason I move my most played games to flash, rather than leaving them on disk.

Gotta be first to the count down timer while waiting for game. It's a matter of pride.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

BexGu posted:

Buy enough RAM to install your OS and game onto it.

This is basically Intel Optane and it's not the worst idea if it had actually taken off.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Console games (and their ports to PC) have been caught using 20gb+ of uncompressed audio and that seems particularly silly. I understand that there's a lot of overhead associated with decompressing 4k textures or whatever but a dang MP3!?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

GTA Online for the PC with all the useless content is easily a 200gb game, they don't know what the word compression means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Fallom posted:

Console games (and their ports to PC) have been caught using 20gb+ of uncompressed audio and that seems particularly silly. I understand that there's a lot of overhead associated with decompressing 4k textures or whatever but a dang MP3!?

That's really silly. If they don't want to use lossy MP3s there's always FLAC or something. Maybe the Xbox and PS4 don't have native support to help with that, though?