Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zurui posted:

Exactly this. They do nothing to bring people into the larger world of tabletop gaming and the "community" is roughly as toxic and obnoxious as Rick & Morty's. The fans are absolutely rabid and will show up in droves to attack anyone who says anything even mildly unflattering about the show or D&D. Plus, Matt Mercer is every smarmy, smug, overbearing DM you've ever had rolled into one with the added bonus of being a minor celebrity so his ego is disastrously inflated.

jesus christ did Matt shoot your dog? Of all the complaints you're the first one to get all 'Matt Mercer is personally the bane of D&D'

Rogue 7 posted:

Didn't their recent Call of Cthulhu stream cause the company to co completely sell out of the book?

And everything I've seen of Matt Mercer tells me that he's as far away from having an overinflated ego as you can get.

also this, didn't they also bring a major uptick in sales for Honey Heist after running that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Rogue 7 posted:

Didn't their recent Call of Cthulhu stream cause the company to co completely sell out of the book?

And everything I've seen of Matt Mercer tells me that he's as far away from having an overinflated ego as you can get.

Yes

And

Yes

I see a lot of 'I'm a better GM than him, so why does he...'stuff, but he seems to be incredibly humble and self-critical at times, so...yeah, anyone saying he's egotistical is lying or projecting.

sexpig by night posted:

also this, didn't they also bring a major uptick in sales for Honey Heist after running that?

Also yes

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

PST posted:

Apart from the times they run non-D&D games, and promote other companies and products on their social media accounts.

This is part of the reason I'm severely turned off by the Wendy's one-shot; if they're the biggest gateway to games beyond 5e, what's the value to the community in promoting some tossed-off corporate tie-in by a company that doesn't care about the tabletop community beyond hoping to sell them more hamburgers?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

The Chairman posted:

This is part of the reason I'm severely turned off by the Wendy's one-shot; if they're the biggest gateway to games beyond 5e, what's the value to the community in promoting some tossed-off corporate tie-in by a company that doesn't care about the tabletop community beyond hoping to sell them more hamburgers?

Because they wanted to take a chill week playing an absurd 1-shot for fun?

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Also, they probably got paid, which is nice.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
It’s sponsored content. They didn’t just pick up the game at random because it was goofy, they cut a contract to play it as an extended commercial for Wendy’s. It’s entirely appropriate to question and critique who they choose to do business with.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Toshimo posted:

Because they wanted to take a chill week playing an absurd 1-shot for fun?

"Being paid to advertise the only fast food franchise publicly saying they prefer exploiting their workers while also donating to Donald Trump is just a chill week" is certainly a pretty hot take.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Chairman posted:

A) they got money, which can be exchanged for goods and services

B) like 90% of the cast was out at a con I think

C) they wanted something dumb and fun and there was literally no better time to do the dumb meme burger RPG than when it literally just came out and everyone was talking about it

D) Sam Riegel had a deep craving for chaos

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Comrade Gorbash posted:

It’s sponsored content. They didn’t just pick up the game at random because it was goofy, they cut a contract to play it as an extended commercial for Wendy’s. It’s entirely appropriate to question and critique who they choose to do business with.

I mean, I agree with this 100%, I think it's a bad move worthy of criticism. I'm just not to the point where I stop supporting them for it. Critical Role is still really awesome! But they've done something I don't support and I really hope they don't repeat.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I'm pretty sure CR has a standing invitation by basically Every Single TTRPG to feature their work, because holy gently caress that's basically a ticket to Big Piles of Cash. So, when they pick something for an off-week, it's probably more up to what they feel like doing, and less up to Fellating the Brands. Sure, they got paid. And sure, Wendy's is pretty poo poo and they should have vetted that better. But, I don't really ascribe malice here.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Sure but it's lopsided. Maybe they're getting more pushback because some of the people reacting had thought they were better than this, but i'm seeing a lot of people who've been hating on them since the time of the kickstarter, or before, going to great lengths to do so. Who haven't been attacking D&D for promotions in anti-union Target, or a gazillion other 'there is nothing ethical in capitalism' examples.

D&D Beyond is ultimately owned by, I think, Amazon, but they don't get the same pushback for promoting that every week, despite Amazon being a far shittier company. And yes this was more of a blatant 'here's a 3 hour advert'. And if this becomes more of a thing, then there's more examples to say 'this is not cool'. And I think they probably got approached, thought 'wow, Wendy's wants to do a big thing' and didn't delve into the less cool and lovely bits of Wendy's (whose social media team are clearly pretty good at their jobs).

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Toshimo posted:

I'm pretty sure CR has a standing invitation by basically Every Single TTRPG to feature their work, because holy gently caress that's basically a ticket to Big Piles of Cash. So, when they pick something for an off-week, it's probably more up to what they feel like doing, and less up to Fellating the Brands. Sure, they got paid. And sure, Wendy's is pretty poo poo and they should have vetted that better. But, I don't really ascribe malice here.

also this, I really doubt Wendys threw a briefcase full of cash at them and demanded they serve their corporate masters, it's more that I think basically anyone who's trying to brand themselves as nerdy and poo poo or in the RPG world has a standing offer of 'yes we'll pay you cash money to put our game on one of the biggest platforms possible for your crowd'

Like, they've run Crash Pandas and a My Little Pony game, I really doubt there's any real 'corporate agenda' at play here and it's just more 'hah, beef wizard'

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Critical Role causing CoC 7th to sell out is probably not that impressive because it's Chaosium and they probably printed a smaller than average run to deal with the costs of their past colossal mistakes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Critical Role causing CoC 7th to sell out is probably not that impressive because it's Chaosium and they probably printed a smaller than average run to deal with the costs of their past colossal mistakes.

I doubt they were selling massive pallets of books over it but even with Chaosium's past I doubt they're understocking their supplies by that much, especially of CoC when that's their big thing.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

lmao i knew there'd be some hot take champions in here saying "it's fine they played the burger campaign; good even"

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
I think I'm becoming some sort of new wave grog or something, because the way "the D&D community" is just casually synonymous with "people who watch Critical Role" now is... ugh, no sir, I don't like it.

Which is a minor aside from the main point, really. Yeah Wendy's sounds bad (we don't have a Wendy's in the Netherlands, I don't know 'em) and I don't begrudge anyone who actually sticks to his principles like that.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

moths posted:

Agreed, but calling Critical Role a beacon of love and equality as they're pocketing 5e money to promote 5e comes across as ill-informed at best.

The Wendy's thing already came up in the chat thread but it looks like that thread is moving back into dice math chat and that's fine, so I'll just reiterate my point here:

Nuns with Guns posted:

The real answer to this is that it's not a line in the sand for people who know of and believe in all the poo poo history related to D&D or other tabletop RPG companies (aka most people invested enough to post here regularly).

It's a line in the sand for people who thought Critical Role would Do Better because they've made gestures at progessive stuff in the past and that's enough to help feed the parasocial side of fans that want the Critical Role team to be good leftist people. Maybe that's some people on SA as a whole but I haven't seen anyone here act shocked about them doing Wendy's product promotion.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Chaosium had a huge cash injection with the takeover, at least as a loan, and have been doing good numbers since, and are now one of the biggest companies in the industry in terms of total number of full-time staff, actually bigger than Wizards (D&D side) in that regard.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

moths posted:

Agreed, but calling Critical Role a beacon of love and equality as they're pocketing 5e money to promote 5e comes across as ill-informed at best.
After the Wendy's episode last night, they are more like a bacon of love and equality, amirite?!?!?!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

dwarf74 posted:

After the Wendy's episode last night, they are more like a bacon of love and equality, amirite?!?!?!
:dadjoke:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm not convinced it's a positive for the industry.

It absolutely isn't, because not only is it pushing people towards a bad game that's already seen as the only game in town by a lot of people, it's also the edition of that game that actively tries to make the game design as bad as possible and which is headed by Mearls.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Man and nobody's even brought up yet that Wendy's is HUGE into anti-abortion lobbying. They kinda spin that by focusing on adoption with their charitable work but they're a big anti-choice donor.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

PST posted:

I see a lot of 'I'm a better GM than him, so why does he...'stuff, but he seems to be incredibly humble and self-critical at times, so...yeah, anyone saying he's egotistical is lying or projecting.

I'm pretty sure it's literally impossible to succeed in podcasting or general showbusiness without having an overinflated ego (after all at some point you have to be an unknown who thinks other people would really want to listen to/watch you), so he's just good at acting like he doesn't have one.

hyphz fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 4, 2019

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Toshimo posted:

I'm pretty sure CR has a standing invitation by basically Every Single TTRPG to feature their work, because holy gently caress that's basically a ticket to Big Piles of Cash. So, when they pick something for an off-week, it's probably more up to what they feel like doing, and less up to Fellating the Brands.

So your argument is that they could have done anything but they deliberately chose the game that's all about fellating a brand and this is good and cool actually, because ??????????????

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Also everybody talking about the wendy's game like it's a "sudden line in the sand" on the Something Awful Traditional Games subforum of all places is extremely fuckin weird considering this place has never actually shied away from talking about how extremely hosed up things like Mike Mearls' relationship with Zak S is, or the Vampire 5E debacle, terrible wages, endemic harassment, etc etc. You can in fact go back through this very thread and find copious examples of all those things, or hit the World of Darkness thread or the Shadowrun thread or the D&D thread(s). "Why is everyone talking about this thing that happened yesterday and is therefore immediately topical instead of all the other things they've brought up in the past" is an exceptionally stupid take.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I wish we just knew how much they got paid. Because that'd give the indie writers a goal to set on the "raise enough money to pay for play" kickstarters that are likely the next step here.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Way to invent your own narrative by misquoting people and inventing bullshit. Get your bullshit out of here.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Toshimo posted:

Way to invent your own narrative by misquoting people and inventing bullshit. Get your bullshit out of here.

don't sign you're poasts!

Warthur
May 2, 2004

PST posted:

Chaosium had a huge cash injection with the takeover, at least as a loan, and have been doing good numbers since, and are now one of the biggest companies in the industry in terms of total number of full-time staff, actually bigger than Wizards (D&D side) in that regard.
Also the specific product which sold out was the starter set for their biggest game line, so it's not like it's a niche supplement or something - it's the sort of product which they'd expect to be promoting for the entire lifetime of the current edition (if not longer, if it's compatible with the next edition), the sort of thing they'd print in large-ish numbers because it's meant to be a point of entry into the game.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

https://twitter.com/CriticalRole/status/1180219441247703040

To me, what this says is 'oh poo poo, we had no idea what Wendy's is like.'

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
yeah that's pretty much the best thing they could have done, apart from not getting into this position in the first place

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Mors Rattus posted:

https://twitter.com/CriticalRole/status/1180219441247703040

To me, what this says is 'oh poo poo, we had no idea what Wendy's is like.'

everyone in the comments acting like this is some 12th dimension chess that they'd planned all along

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, no, this is very clearly 'oh poo poo we hosed up we need to fix this.'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea there's no way that was the plan before, but good for them.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah donating their profits doesn't change that they just promoted a lovely company, but it at least shows that they're becoming aware that doing so might not have been such a good look for them.

Note that "profits" means earnings after paying all expenses, including their own wages.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah, no, this is very clearly 'oh poo poo we hosed up we need to fix this.'

Who cares?

Like, seriously, whether it was planned in advance, or not, does that make a loving difference to it being a good thing?

It's less than 24 hours after, sure maybe they saw the backlash and then did a good thing. Compared to most companies we criticse here, that's lightning speed.

This is not frog god games defending an abuser, this is not paizo firing employees for saying they're not okay with sexual harassment, this isn't publishing child abuse=magical powers.

Yeah, they could have done a better job of screening or thinking about it, but they didn't, and then they did a good thing with it, and yet somehow that's still getting criticised.

Get some loving perspective.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I have no idea why you are mad at me, I agree with you. I'm just saying 'this is not 12d chess.'

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Toshimo posted:

Sir this is a Wendy's drive thru.

I wonder if they spoke to whoever setup this marketing crap about what they were going to do it just did it, and whether Wendy's will say anything.

(they won't)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah donating their profits doesn't change that they just promoted a lovely company, but it at least shows that they're becoming aware that doing so might not have been such a good look for them.

Note that "profits" means earnings after paying all expenses, including their own wages.

I really don't think this is their big cash cow so I kinda don't care about them not giving up their wages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

PST posted:

Who cares?

Like, seriously, whether it was planned in advance, or not, does that make a loving difference to it being a good thing?

It's less than 24 hours after, sure maybe they saw the backlash and then did a good thing. Compared to most companies we criticse here, that's lightning speed.

This is not frog god games defending an abuser, this is not paizo firing employees for saying they're not okay with sexual harassment, this isn't publishing child abuse=magical powers.

Yeah, they could have done a better job of screening or thinking about it, but they didn't, and then they did a good thing with it, and yet somehow that's still getting criticised.

Get some loving perspective.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Sir this is a Wendy's drive thru.