Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Can you make a VB scented candle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Can you make a shoe smell?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Professor Gary Martin, CEO the Australian Institute of Management, joins Luke Grant to discuss baby boomers forming part of a new and growing movement… and it’s putting traditional retirement plans into a spin.

Baby boomers, whose current ages fall within the 55 to 75 bracket, are happily outing themselves as failed retirees and forming part of a new and growing movement – variously called the unretirement, re-wirement, re-aspirement or the re-hirement bandwagon – by denoting a return to the workforce in some shape or form.

Generation Unretired, Generation U or just Gen U’ers are taking a newer and fresher perspective and revisiting, reimagining and reinventing that third and final phase of their lives.

Just as our day-to-day pre-retirement life can no longer be divided into work and personal because they blur into one, Gen U’ers take the view that retirement no longer simply means you have to stop work.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

What's with the fucken pleonasm

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Send em off to pick fruit

e: actually send me a couple, council is giving out free trees tomorrow and I got a lot of holes that need to be dug in exchange for (sun) exposure

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 4, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I have an ethical meat idea that could use them

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

JBP posted:

Professor Gary Martin, CEO the Australian Institute of Management, joins Luke Grant to discuss baby boomers forming part of a new and growing movement… and it’s putting traditional retirement plans into a spin.

Baby boomers, whose current ages fall within the 55 to 75 bracket, are happily outing themselves as failed retirees and forming part of a new and growing movement – variously called the unretirement, re-wirement, re-aspirement or the re-hirement bandwagon – by denoting a return to the workforce in some shape or form.

Generation Unretired, Generation U or just Gen U’ers are taking a newer and fresher perspective and revisiting, reimagining and reinventing that third and final phase of their lives.

Just as our day-to-day pre-retirement life can no longer be divided into work and personal because they blur into one, Gen U’ers take the view that retirement no longer simply means you have to stop work.

i have a VIC-20 that says otherwise

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Do they talk about why they are doing this?

Lot of people about that age get made redundant and just often don't get hired again which sucks.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

lol

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/oct/05/qanon-conspiracy-theorist-friends-australian-prime-minister-scott-morrison

quote:

A significant Australian proponent of the QAnon conspiracy theory is a family friend of Scott Morrison, and his wife is on the prime minister’s staff.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

quote:

“If you want to do your research into the US context, the red shoes are purported to be very much a paedophilia shout out,”

Good pope burn.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Just a coincidence, I'm sure.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Oh for shits sake :doh:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Zenithe posted:

Good pope burn.

Ronald knew! :ohdear:

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

So guys, gonna rethink your positions about the 'ok' gesture thing with Scummo's wife?:mmmhmm:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Xerxes17 posted:

So guys, gonna rethink your positions about the 'ok' gesture thing with Scummo's wife?:mmmhmm:

no

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Also no, because it was always real.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I have some friends who work in real estate, and a whole bunch of them have been laid off in recent times

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Recoome posted:

I have some friends who work in real estate, and a whole bunch of them have been laid off in recent times

That bodes well, going into busy season...

I've been house hunting for about a year now, and in Melbourne (west side) at least, it's loving dire. The vast majority of stuff is two (sometimes three) bedroom subdivided townhouses, not bad quality but not good. The prices are pretty fair, but there's just not a lot going into market, which is the real killer - the lack of volume. I saw a report a couple of weeks ago saying that there are like 7000 fewer properties on the market in Melbourne now compared to same time last year, which was down from the year before. Basically the only people selling now are people who absolutely have to while anyone who can afford to wait is, whether that means sitting on it or renting out or whatever. Tl;dr market hosed.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Whitlam posted:

That bodes well, going into busy season...

I've been house hunting for about a year now, and in Melbourne (west side) at least, it's loving dire. The vast majority of stuff is two (sometimes three) bedroom subdivided townhouses, not bad quality but not good. The prices are pretty fair, but there's just not a lot going into market, which is the real killer - the lack of volume. I saw a report a couple of weeks ago saying that there are like 7000 fewer properties on the market in Melbourne now compared to same time last year, which was down from the year before. Basically the only people selling now are people who absolutely have to while anyone who can afford to wait is, whether that means sitting on it or renting out or whatever. Tl;dr market hosed.

That is really interesting. I've been following the market up in Brisbane and it definitely is following a pattern where the only people who are selling are absolutely desperate to sell, and while there's been some movement in the market on the southside, this has been driven by people trying to buy cheap, renovate, and sell, and there's concern among agents (and my own analysis) that the margins are starting to become a bit too tight. It's bad enough that houses have actually started to come off the market, and potential buyers are tentative at best (trying to get cooling-off periods of 90 days +).

The squeeze seems to be both selling agents and property managers, and I know that at least one property group did a hiring round earlier this year. Unfortunately, everyone in that round was let go, so clearly forecasts were much more positive earlier this year, but have been revised downwards significantly. Places like Domain and elsewhere always like spruiking how good the market is, but turnaround/layoffs are also an excellent indicator of the health of the market (although it's a more difficult indicator to check out).

Of course, it's really going to hurt smaller, family-level outfits which rely on the previously-available large margins.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

oh god

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Recoome posted:

Property analysis

I've noticed houses coming off the market as well, sometimes with renovations, and places go under offer and then back on the market. I'm sure that always is gonna happen from time to time, but I've definitely seen it happen not infrequently. I've had a couple of agents offer me 90 day settlements as well, to try and encourage me to buy.

I'm lucky compared to a lot of people in that I can wait (mostly - living at home has pros and cons), but if I was in a position where I had to buy, I'd be feeling pressure to start making sacrifices and compromises. There's some truth in it being a buyer's market if you're just going by prices, but imo it's an oversimplification that disregards the lack of volume and quality on the market. It seems to me like it's closer to a Mexican stand-off market, at least from what I've seen over the last year or so.

I definitely don't know enough about interest rates to say whether the latest cut will ultimately be a good or bad thing, but I've seen an article on ABC recently discussing the implications and repercussions of negative interest rates, and I'm pretty sure that can't be good.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

but there were two periods of housing growth, so property recession is over you guys...

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

Can you make a shoe smell?

yeah i just wear it for a few days

gotta poo
Mar 14, 2019

by VideoGames
All booze is just fermented garbage water.

Smoke weed instead, losers.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Whitlam posted:

I definitely don't know enough about interest rates to say whether the latest cut will ultimately be a good or bad thing, but I've seen an article on ABC recently discussing the implications and repercussions of negative interest rates, and I'm pretty sure that can't be good.

There's definitely been better analysis but also there's only so low rates can go now. We are all collectively getting gravel rash on our asses because the government has thus far neglected it's economic responsibilities.

If the rate cuts are indeed helping, it's only staving off the inevitable because nothing else has currently changed.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

gotta poo posted:

hops and weed are the same family, so by the transitive property, both are good.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

gotta poo posted:

Yeah right I’m just gonna heat up some plants period in my bong

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Well..

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/1180231105775054854

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Tokamak posted:

hops and weed are the same family, so by the transitive property, both are good.

By the same transitive property, beer is bong water.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/oct/05/questions-about-sexual-orientation-and-gender-identity-dumped-from-census

quote:

The Australian Bureau of Statistics has ditched preparations to ask about sexual orientation and gender identity in the 2021 census, although a question whether people are male, female or non-binary is still under consideration.

An ABS spokesman attributed the decision to a desire to keep “the burden we placed on responding households to a minimum, and being able to test our processes”.
In a further statement a spokesman said that the final decision on questions for the 2021 census is one for government, which has not yet advised the ABS of its decision.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Yeah. Imagine.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

hooman posted:

By the same transitive property, beer is bong water.

this is violence

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

There's no way this would horribly go wrong

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Recoome posted:

There's definitely been better analysis but also there's only so low rates can go now. We are all collectively getting gravel rash on our asses because the government has thus far neglected it's economic responsibilities.

If the rate cuts are indeed helping, it's only staving off the inevitable because nothing else has currently changed.

At the end of the day if they keep wages flat the market isn't going anywhere.
It also means that existing loans wont be deleveraging as quickly as they anticipated sapping all the spending from the economy.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

It takes a special kind of ideological fuckwit to look at the American health care system and that "hrrm yes that is good and effective"

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

NPR Journalizard posted:

It takes a special kind of ideological fuckwit to look at the American health care system and that "hrrm yes that is good and effective"

Who was that insurance executive who came out with some bizarre poo poo like "medicare is like Bambi and we have to shoot it"

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

What if we took markets and simply applied them to being alive? Cut out the middle man as they say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

The Peccadillo posted:

Who was that insurance executive who came out with some bizarre poo poo like "medicare is like Bambi and we have to shoot it"

NIB