Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

OwlFancier posted:

Nice seared steak and pasta with... mushroom sauce?

What's wrong with it?

Yeah, it's one of those "this is probably delicious but why did you take a photo of it that's depressing" meals.

Okay, the steak may be ruined depending on if that's seared or Very Well Done. But, like. nah it's fine, urgent update this probably did taste great.

This, on the other hand. When pizza's in your roadkill there's still no pizza rules.

KataraniSword has a new favorite as of 14:37 on Oct 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thats a lovely calzone that is undercooked. the dough looks seriously raw

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

My MIL makes these at Christmas and I eat 8000 of them every year

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Sauerkraut is disgusting, change my mind :colbert:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Zipperelli. posted:

No. I won't.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Zipperelli. posted:

Hey, you do you, more for me

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I was afraid of sauerkraut for a long time because my dad trash talked it my entire life. Now I have a German roommate, and I like sauerkraut now.

The thing for me about sauerkraut is I like it sparingly, a little here, a little there, it's aliright, but it needs to be drained. I also like it when it's a little bit toasted

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sauerkraut is just super vinegary cole slaw

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Tashilicious posted:

Stop you're making me hungry

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zipperelli. posted:

My German ancestors are outraged :colbert:

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Tashilicious posted:

failing to see a problem here

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I'll eat a few of these

and like half a jar of kraut for dinner sometimes

life without vinegar would be a barren hellscape

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Tashilicious posted:

You're not helping sauerkraut's case. Cole slaw also sucks.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pastry of the Year posted:

I'll eat a few of these

and like half a jar of kraut for dinner sometimes

life without vinegar would be a barren hellscape

Please tell me where I can buy these? :randvince:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

Please tell me where I can buy these? :randvince:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

quote:

We are very sorry. This Fischer's product is not available in your area.

:smith:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Hit up a grody gas station and get these, they're great in a really trashy way

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Croatoan posted:

That's what I usually do, I just want a big jar full of them.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Iron Crowned posted:

That's what I usually do, I just want a big jar full of them.

https://www.amazon.com/Fischers-Red-Hots-Sausage-9oz/dp/B07D6WCQQF

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Croatoan posted:

300% hotter than Big Mama!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Tashilicious posted:

Sauerkraut shouldn’t have vinegar in it. Good sauerkraut is all about the fermentation. :colbert:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Vinegar forms by fermentation...?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah, it's one of those "this is probably delicious but why did you take a photo of it that's depressing" meals.

The origin post of that said it's macaroni and cheese with the basting butter mixed in with the cheese sauce, hence why it's so brownish and wet. I'm sure it tasted fine but yeah it is definitely not a photo i'd share with food snobs on the internet.

skrapp mettle
Mar 17, 2007

Scarodactyl posted:

Vinegar forms by fermentation...?

Fermentation is the process, but there are a ton of ferments. Different bacteria and microbes; sauerkraut and naturally fermented pickles all rely on lactic acid producing bacteria and are mostly anaerobic. Vinegar ferments are aerobic and turn alcohol into acetic acid, which is why you see wine vinegars and malt vinegar usually. Then there are all the alcoholic ferments that use yeast, and stuff like sake that uses molds.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Pickling any vegetable is basically done by preserving it in acid. I'm pretty sure pickled meats are done in the same manner, but I've never pickled meat, so I'll stick with vegetables. You can do it one tasty way by making acetic acid by fermenting sugars of grapes or grain or other fruits until it becomes acetic acid and then adding that to a brine solution to make pickles. You can do it the tastier way by adding vegetables, salt, and water and letting the lactobacilli that are all over the vegetables ferment the sugars inherent in the vegetables into lactic acid. Good pickled vegetables are made with whatever acid is at hand that can preserve vegetables. Really good pickles are fermented in their own funk. Think good sauerkraut, barrel pickles, village made kimchi, etc.

I brought up this question before and was corrected by someone, I think in this thread, but I think I've got it right now. Someone please correct me if I'm still wrong.

What I'm not wrong about, though, is that there are no bad pickles. Virtually anything can be made better by pickling.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Croatoan posted:

It's so weird they can legally sell a food to you that will 100 percent make you poo poo your pants while driving.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
Pickled Red Hots are just bologna/hot dogs suspended in vinegar and red pepper flakes. If you can't get them by the jar where you live (you can), you can absolutely make your own.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LifeSunDeath posted:

It's so weird they can legally sell a food to you that will 100 percent make you poo poo your pants while driving.

I shat my pants just looking at the picture

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I've never had sauerkraut, but the memory of the smell when my friend's mom microwaved a giant fuckoff bowl of it for a snack will forever haunt me.

I like all sorts of other pickled and vinegary foods, so maybe someday, but not now.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Sauerkraut is usually fine as long as it's eaten with something like a bratwurst. The vinegary german food that can gently caress off though is red cabbage. That stuff is borderline inedible to me, and in german restaurants it's the side dish on basically everything that isn't served with sauerkraut.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Croatoan posted:

one of our grocery stores started carrying a 6 pack of the big mama sausages :yum: almost half the price of buying them at a convenience store

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Should be New England Clam Nog

e:

LifeSunDeath has a new favorite as of 00:39 on Oct 5, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Not gonna lie, that sounds tasty

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

If this was real and had meat and cheese (product) in it, I'd buy it guilt free as a horrible drinking snack like pizza flavor Combos. *insert fat Randaconda "would" .gif here*

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

skrapp mettle posted:

Fermentation is the process, but there are a ton of ferments. Different bacteria and microbes; sauerkraut and naturally fermented pickles all rely on lactic acid producing bacteria and are mostly anaerobic. Vinegar ferments are aerobic and turn alcohol into acetic acid, which is why you see wine vinegars and malt vinegar usually. Then there are all the alcoholic ferments that use yeast, and stuff like sake that uses molds.

Yep!

Sauerkraut shouldn’t have any vinegar in it, full stop. I know lactic acid tastes vinegary to some people, though. :shrug:

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
why so yellow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Plinkey posted: