Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Sintered pads going that quick (and not with track use) suggests you might have never actually bedded them in properly. Did you do the proper heat-cycling thing?

Where do you guys go to bed your pads-- either on a car or bike? None of the roads around me ever seem to be low enough traffic to do repeated high speed braking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeneticWeapon
May 13, 2007

MetaJew posted:

Where do you guys go to bed your pads-- either on a car or bike? None of the roads around me ever seem to be low enough traffic to do repeated high speed braking.

I've never once done that to any of my vehicles.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

GeneticWeapon posted:

I've never once done that to any of my vehicles.
Me neither. Never had anything like that happen

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:
Yeah, sorry, bed in what say what?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Redvenom posted:

You're supposed to sleep with your brake pads beneath your pillow for one night before you put them on the bike. This is pretty common knowledge.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

MetaJew posted:

I drive out of town to a lonely stretch of highway late at night.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

MetaJew posted:

Car park, or the industrial estates around the edge of London.

Nitrox posted:

Me neither. Never had anything like that happen

Have you been using sintered pads though? Organics just need a couple of quick dabs on the brake to get them bedded in, but sintered pads absolutely do need to be heat cycled (the degree of cycling varying depending on the compound of course).

Redvenom posted:

Sintered brake pads have metal particles baked into an organic base. The idea is that the metal gives them structural strength and much better heat transfer, letting you use a much softer organic compound without sacrificing brake life.

The thing is, because brake disks aren't perfectly flat, you need to bed them in first (this applies to all brakes) by using them a few times so they wear away to perfectly match the disk surface. You couldn't do that if the metal in the sintered pads was already baked in at the factory (well you could, but it would take forever because you're effectively trying to grind metal with your disks), so once they're bedded in you need to get the pads up to the temperature the metal particles sinter - you then want to cool them off nice and quickly to stop the pads "glazing" (where too much of the metal melts at the same time, giving the friction surface a hard (and slippery) metal coating).

The standard way of doing this is - once you're happy the brakes are properly bedded, and you can normally feel that really easily - to get up to about 60mph, brake as hard as you can down to 5-10mph, then accelerate back up to 60 and repeat a few times.

With softer sintered pads (like you get with a lot of OEM fitments) you end up doing this the first time you brake properly in anger so you might not be aware of it, but the harder ones (anything marked for sport or race use) might need 5 or even 10 cycles to really properly settle - just like with the initial bed in you can definitely feel the difference through the lever, although it's much less dramatic (it's an increase in initial bite rather than in outright power like bedding is).

Depending on the compound not doing this might just result in vastly increased pad wear, the brakes not reaching full power, or glazing and loving up your disks.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Yeah, but glazed pads would do the exact opposite of what happened to his brakes.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Elviscat posted:

Yeah, but glazed pads would do the exact opposite of what happened to his brakes.

Yeah, I was talking about that as a general thing that can happen if you overheat them - if he's never got them up to temp at all (which as "light commuting" was mentioned seemed possible) then that kinf od fast wear also seems plausible.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I ride in the wet a lot and never particularly fast, so I just buy organics.

It is a happy coincidence that organic pads are slightly cheaper than sintered ones.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fifty Three posted:

I drive out of town to a lonely stretch of highway late at night.

This comes with the side opportunity of trading your soul for musical talent.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://streamable.com/eltjz

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

This too me a second.

What is the clip of the guys sliding in the rain? Or is that a river, where he grabs the other, unconscious (?) guy?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Dude was riding in pouring rain with his girlfriend, crashed, and pulled her in as they slid for what seemed like 100 meters.

E: it was thailand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmacZXkfk6o

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

The streamable link is confusing as it's multiple crashes with no "down time" between the crashing/sliding part

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

That's the point. It's much better with sound.

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 27, 2019

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Ahhh, that explains the shark at the end

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Slim Pickens posted:

Dude was riding in pouring rain with his girlfriend, crashed, and pulled her in as they slid for what seemed like 100 meters.

E: it was thailand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmacZXkfk6o

That makes me feel better because she definitely looked like she was dead in the other video. :barf:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Is it just me, or her helmet is three sizes larger than it needs to be? Also, it looks like she actually hit the concrete barrier, possibly because he grabbed her and twisted her body forward. "Saved"my rear end.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Remember kids, immediately after someone suffers a nasty motorcycle accident, you want to grab their helmet by the chinbar and violently shake it to-and-fro.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Elviscat posted:

Remember kids, immediately after someone suffers a nasty motorcycle accident, you want to grab their helmet by the chinbar and violently shake it to-and-fro.

It's fine as long as your girlfriend is wearing your old helmet that can spin around while on her head.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Sorry to post a reddit link because I truly hate their UI, but I don't know how to link to just the video. A bike and car accident that ends with surprising damage. I could see exactly what was going to happen, but didn't think the bike would win.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Looks like he juuuust missed the wheel and snagged the bodywork on his engine guards. Messy, but not really serious.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://twitter.com/one_t_matt/status/1179857290096250890?s=21

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 3, 2019

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
hell yes

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:perfect:

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Extremely my poo poo

e:

ought ten fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 4, 2019

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

https://youtu.be/ZX9sqb5JayI

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Quite possibly the most boring ad I've ever seen. They need to hire whoever does KTM's ads.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Your ad has failed when I was more drawn to the fun windsurfer in the background than the... thing.

So another v8 motorcycle, ok. FWD, RWD?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Do people like trikes? :confused:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Its so WIDE

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Eww, a trike.

:chloe:

Does it have four loving wheels?

Edit: yes it does, that's not a trike at all, it's a lovely illegal ATV/car.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

When you need that extra cooling

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Ha YouTube’s top suggested video for me is “How to pick up a fallen motorcycle”

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Xpost from the Toronto LAN thread. Nothing special, just a couple of phone pics of my baby around town... just enjoying the last bit of warmth before I have to put Shai-Hulud away for the winter. Took her down to the sexiest place in Canada, the Toronto Harbourfront! the new season of Big Mouth has a couple of quality nods to Canada and that's one of them

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Xpost from the Toronto LAN thread. Nothing special, just a couple of phone pics of my baby around town... just enjoying the last bit of warmth before I have to put Shai-Hulud away for the winter. Took her down to the sexiest place in Canada, the Toronto Harbourfront! the new season of Big Mouth has a couple of quality nods to Canada and that's one of them

God I hope that's sarcasm.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
What's shai-hulud?

I mean:

Shai Hulud - Wikipedia

Shai Hulud is an American metalcore band formed in Pompano Beach, Florida, in 1995 then later moved to Poughkeepsie, New York. The band is named after the giant sandworms in Frank Herbert's novel Dune.

Members: Matt Fox; "Mad" Matt Fletcher; Matt Mazzali

Genres: Metalcore, heavy hardcore

Origin: Pompano Beach, Florida, U.S

Also known as: The Warmth of Red Blood, the Worm, Harkonnen

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 5, 2019

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Finger Prince posted:

God I hope that's sarcasm.

Like I said, watch the new season of Big Mouth.

Nitrox posted:

What's shai-hulud?

It's the Fremen name of the sandworms in the Dune universe. I was going to call her Rocinante but it'd be a bit disingenuous as I've never actually read Don Quixote so it would really just be a Rush reference. I'm a huge Dune nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mister Speaker posted:

Like I said, watch the new season of Big Mouth.

It's the Fremen name of the sandworms in the Dune universe. I was going to call her Rocinante but it'd be a bit disingenuous as I've never actually read Don Quixote so it would really just be a Rush reference. I'm a huge Dune nerd.

Take your gsxr in the doonz then, coward