Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Jebediah posted:

What's better, wow classic or archeage?

ArcheAge with Kimsemus planning a raid on people fishing peacefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Tempus Thales posted:

I have all the guild crests we used in the previous game:
You missed this one:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I feel like Bill Pullman's character from Independence Day II, watching this poo poo come back to haunt us.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe

quote:

Character Reservation for customers who purchased Chainbreaker Founders packs will begin at the following times:

EUROPEAN REGION: Saturday, October 5th, 2019 at 10:00 AM UTC

NORTH AMERICAN REGION: Saturday, October 5th, 2019 at 10:00 AM PDT

The Shadows Revealed game client will be available for pre-download 24 hours prior to the times announced above.

The character reservation is supposed to be tomorrow so we need to pick a faction now. My vote is for east.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Necrosaro posted:

The character reservation is supposed to be tomorrow so we need to pick a faction now. My vote is for east.

Everyone in the discord seems to be planning around going West.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Necrosaro posted:

Yeah, I'm going east with some other friends. If you guys go west, I guess I'll see you on the high seas. :black101:

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

Looks like the vote so far is 18 east to 20 west. East is really coming outta nowhere.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe

Raioner posted:

Looks like the vote so far is 18 east to 20 west. East is really coming outta nowhere.

I think it's the other way around right now. 20 east, 18 west, according to the pic you posted in Discord.

I changed my mind, I'll go west. Subtract one from east to west.

Necrosaro fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 5, 2019

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

O poo poo it is my bad.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
We should end the polls tonight since character reservation is tomorrow. The issue now is there seems to be some goons that only want to play west or on east and want to roll separately if we pick the side they don't want to play on. Also since we figured out a place for goons to set up their houses on west already, if we go east we'll need to find a new place.

Omarmarious
Jan 21, 2012

Velveteen posted:

We should end the polls tonight since character reservation is tomorrow. The issue now is there seems to be some goons that only want to play west or on east and want to roll separately if we pick the side they don't want to play on. Also since we figured out a place for goons to set up their houses on west already, if we go east we'll need to find a new place.

Agreed! I'll be posting the final count of the poll. I apologize, I had planned to keep the poll up longer, forgot to take into consideration the reservation of names.

Omarmarious
Jan 21, 2012
WEST IT IS!

I would like to go ahead and thank the individual who posted 4 separate responses from the same IP for EAST, I admire your dedication and love for the EAST!

For those of you whom wish to go EAST, and have no desire to come west, please let us know, having allies across the sea can prove to be beneficial, as well, I would like to see that those who wish to play on the east form a group for other SA members also not interested in rolling with the main body on WEST.

So we will be going WEST, we have been scouting out some areas for housing, a guide will follow shortly with recommended housing areas, as well as starting to form groups/families to the specific interest of guild members, IE Fishing, Farming/Trade, PVP etc etc. Please if you have not already done so, get on the Discord, even if you do not have a mic, jump in and join the conversation! we are doing a TON of discussion in the Archeage Discussion channel, and we have some open VOIP channels to talk back an forth on and get to know your future guild members, so please come and join the fun! Additionally, anyone with interest in helping the guild grow as far as direction goes, or has a wealth of knowledge of in-game mechanics, please let us know, looking to get more people interested in being active/involved in progressing and organizing this hurd of cats.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm curious to hear a post action report of how many of you manage to snatch land and where after that 5 day buildup.

Omarmarious
Jan 21, 2012

DancingShade posted:

I'm curious to hear a post action report of how many of you manage to snatch land and where after that 5 day buildup.

You and me both, if the PST was a testament to how many people we should expect to see during launch week, the Ques are going to suck! However, looking to the positive, that means that a thriving community is eager to play this once great game, which excites me even more!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Omarmarious posted:

You and me both, if the PST was a testament to how many people we should expect to see during launch week, the Ques are going to suck! However, looking to the positive, that means that a thriving community is eager to play this once great game, which excites me even more!

It's a little vintage now but I hope people are braced for this:

That wasn't bugged by the way.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
There's no way I'm touching any of this ever again but let me know about any pacts, things not happening in America, what the hottest age turns out to be and wool production statistics.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe

quote:

Character Name Reservation - Notice of Delay
The ArcheAge: Unchained team regrets to announce the delay of the Character Name Reservation process for the European and North American regions. As you know, our dedicated teams have been working around the clock to address outstanding issues on the Public Test Server. We made great progress over the last week and as we prepared to make the Unchained client available for pre-download some critical issues were identified during our Quality Assurance pass.

The build we intended to deliver was still affected by issues related to the “server is busy” error and a crash to desktop issue within the 32-bit client. It was highly likely that we could have resolved the issues in the EU region and still be on target for the 10am UTC release, but the NA region would have missed the PDT deadline even after the time difference is considered. Additionally, the client would not have been pre-downloadable and that’s something we committed to delivering. We want to ensure that players are able to log in and access the game correctly so they can create their character in a more stable and fair manner for everyone participating. Our teams continue to work on the outstanding issues as this message is posted.

New Character Reservation Times:

EUROPEAN REGION: Saturday, October 12th, 2019 at 10:00 AM UTC
NORTH AMERICAN REGION: Saturday, October 12th, 2019 at 10:00 AM PDT

Please know that this decision was made to preserve our approach to delivering Unchained. We acknowledge the various delays we’ve had: some due to establishing an optimal time to release, and others due to technical issues. This is one of the latter and is not related to changes requested by the community.

At this time, there is no change to the official release date on October 15, 2019, allowing a three day period for name reservation. It’s very important for us to offer name reservation on a weekend and given the circumstances, we targeted the next available window. We’re committed to continuing our open, transparent dialogue and will immediately take into consideration any feedback resulting from this delay. Thanks for reading.

-The ArcheAge Team

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
Probably a launch delay as well?

Huckert
Aug 1, 2007

For the love of the game
They're still in denial about that. They seem to be behind schedule on everything, and that's after postponing release once already.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
If it gets delayed again I'll probably never get around to playing it and just stick with going through the ArcheRage server for a while, which I only used to get a feel for the game since I didn't really play ArcheAge originally.

Huckert
Aug 1, 2007

For the love of the game
Some people are spending their PTS time very wisely.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

The Spookmaster
Sep 9, 2002

*Free MinicumdumpJamal*

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Lurgy posted:

Some people are spending their PTS time very wisely.

Ouch this is why I didn't try and uproot that illegal tree farm I found. I rather not spend the rest of the PTS in prison.

This would last me until next year!

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

You can escape prison from what I've heard.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm a land owner now! So I scouted around sandeep and its a really pretty zone. I decided to plop it on the island because of the ocean. This zone is where we're planning on building right? Which section are we going to pick? The island or the hills? I'm probably done with PTS now as I was just going to do the lv 30 building quest and scout out sandeep before launch starts.

It seems tax certs are fairly easy to get too. Only 300 labour for a pack of 5. You can plop down a farm and craft enough for a house instantly.

Velveteen fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Oct 6, 2019

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Ideally, if we're going Sanddeep, we'd want water access for the quickest way to get across the ocean to get the new charcoal replacement - Onyx Archeum. It's much easier to spawn a boat and load it up on the coast, vs having to haul packs via vehicles to the coast. If the coastal spots all get nabbed, it's just a little extra time needed to haul packs to the boat from inland :shrug:

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Also, I'm about to head out for a bit, but wanted to plop down a high-level overview of what to do for newbies at launch. I'll expand on this later. A lot has changed since 2014 when this initially launched, so I'll try to be brief and to the point.

• There is a 4-5 day landlock at launch, so during this time you'll want to get the following in preparation:
    • Follow the green (Main Story Quest) markers to 30. Along the way, you'll want to get your glider, mount, donkey, and battlepet.
      • These 4 quests are not a part of the MSQ and are yellow markers. Each of these locations are dependent on race choice.
    • Both the 8x8 scarecrow and initial 16x16 farm are both level and quest gated.
      • Get to level 30 (2-4 hours depending on quest gates/starting race choice) and start the scarecrow quest (Blue Salt Brotherhood, green plant icon above NPC) in Solisa, Halcyona.
      • At this point, I advise grouping up as 30+ leveling zones are PvP zones.
      • Get to 50 so you can start the farm questline in Marianople.
    • For those that are only able to get to 30 and a scarecrow, here's an alternate route for you.
      • You will have plenty of Gilda by 30 to purchase 2 16x16 house plans (15 Gilda each).
      • You are limited to 2x unbuilt pieces of property before you can place more. This will help with the land grab.
      • Place down your scarecrow, build it with the supplied lumber & tax certs, generate 70 tax certs*, and place down both 16x16 houses next to your scarecrow.
      • *The trick here is that you are only able to generate tax certs on a built piece of property (yours or someone else's, so you need to build your scarecrow to craft certs) and need at least 4200 labor for both houses. Placing your first house down will require 30 tax certs (1800 labor), and the second house will require 40 tax certs (2400 labor). So, 70 tax certs/5 per craft * 300 labor is 4200.

As a side note, you could theoretically wait (or if you are a little behind due to queue/life obligations) for someone else to build their scarecrow, craft your taxes via their property, and place down both 16x16 houses without going through the BSB questline to get your scarecrow. If you plan on your house to be in a hostile zone, you will most likely be fighting for the chance to craft taxes & place your house plot, unless you find someone's scarecrow in a non-hostile zone first.

kloa fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 6, 2019

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

kloa posted:

As a side note, you could theoretically wait (or if you are a little behind due to queue/life obligations) for someone else to build their scarecrow, craft your taxes via their property, and place down both 16x16 houses without going through the BSB questline to get your scarecrow. If you plan on your house to be in a hostile zone, you will most likely be fighting for the chance to craft taxes & place your house plot, unless you find someone's scarecrow in a non-hostile zone first.

Which is why we should all build together so during the opening of land grabs we can attack and kill everyone and kick them off goon island or whatever place we've chosen.

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

I've posted up in the north of sandeep, theres merchants up there and a well for watering plants. It's near song spinner. We need to come to a consensus on where we are all going to live.

Mercury
Apr 6, 2002

*honk*
Make sure to upgrade your starting gear as you level or mobs will seem unbeatable by level 20. Other than that, it’s fast to 30. The PTS has been useful just to learn to play for me. We do need to pick a spot to settle now as a priority.

Omarmarious
Jan 21, 2012
Came across this video today, GREAT guide for those of you who like to binge-watch Youtube Guides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke6bnV-6ODU

Great conversation here thus far, I am digging the insights, and also enjoying the PTS when I can get in. Really excited for the launch, hope that they have worked out some of the bugs during this PTS sessions

HotBobaloo
Jun 19, 2002
I've never played Archeage before and I'm thinking about picking this up. Is there a skill combo that's considered easiest for leveling? I don't mind either mage type or melee.

Also are there effective support classes that can solo? I enjoy being a force multiplier, but only if I can solo as well.

HotBobaloo fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 7, 2019

Huckert
Aug 1, 2007

For the love of the game

Raioner posted:

I've posted up in the north of sandeep, theres merchants up there and a well for watering plants. It's near song spinner. We need to come to a consensus on where we are all going to live.

I still think you guys are being overly optimistic about this whole thing. When land unlocks, every single player is gonna have at least one building ready and waiting, spamming macros to place before the others. And that's before taking into account that we've picked the most popular server with several try hard pvp guilds, no doubt happy to flag up for faction kills two minutes before the unlock.

I don't mean to be a party pooper or anything, but some of yall might wanna consider a plan b.

Edit: sorry that was not very constructive. I would suggest splitting up goons over two or three spots and rather try to block off extra land where we can, and move others in when possible. There was talk of Lilyut hills earlier, which is likely a safer bet to get some land than sanddeep at least.

Huckert fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Oct 7, 2019

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Lurgy posted:

I still think you guys are being overly optimistic about this whole thing. When land unlocks, every single player is gonna have at least one building ready and waiting, spamming macros to place before the others. And that's before taking into account that we've picked the most popular server with several try hard pvp guilds, no doubt happy to flag up for faction kills two minutes before the unlock.

I don't mean to be a party pooper or anything, but some of yall might wanna consider a plan b.

Edit: sorry that was not very constructive. I would suggest splitting up goons over two or three spots and rather try to block off extra land where we can, and move others in when possible. There was talk of Lilyut hills earlier, which is likely a safer bet to get some land than sanddeep at least.

What I'm most afraid of is the login. Is it going to be like a maintenance before the land lock opens? Are people going to mass login and whoever gets in wins. Or will the server be up and everyone will be sitting in the jury to avoid afk timers and no one can log in before. Since everyone will be on during like 10am pst saturday.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
PTS is down for 3 hours. http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?355067-PTS-Maintenance-October-7-2PM-PDT-9PM-UTC

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

kloa posted:

Also, I'm about to head out for a bit, but wanted to plop down a high-level overview of what to do for newbies at launch. I'll expand on this later. A lot has changed since 2014 when this initially launched, so I'll try to be brief and to the point.

this was helpful btw, im going in completely blind and any resources that help explain the game will help me a lot

if you could briefly explain pvp/labor/class/equipment that would help too

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Lurgy posted:

And that's before taking into account that we've picked the most popular server with several try hard pvp guilds, no doubt happy to flag up for faction kills two minutes before the unlock.

look at this guy who doesn't understand how aa works

you don't need the best land to do well, hth

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

succ posted:

this was helpful btw, im going in completely blind and any resources that help explain the game will help me a lot

if you could briefly explain pvp/labor/class/equipment that would help too

Sure thing. I'll bold any takeaways/main points.

PvP
  • There are peaceful and hostile leveling zones on all continents.
  • Hostile zones do become Peaceful after a War period for a little over an hour. No PvP can take place during this time period, and is when most people plan to run tradepacks through the zone, or wrap up any quests needed to move on to the next zone.
  • Hostile zones allow any player to potentially murder any other player. By default, western races are only hostile to eastern races & pirates.
  • You can, however, flag up as a western race and kill another western race. You will be free game to any player to kill without gaining infamy points.
  • If you kill your own race, you will gain infamy points. After 50 infamy points, your next death with send you straight to jail, where you can plead your case in front of other players (one of the best things in this game imo), or just accept your time and wait it out.
  • Once in jail, you may spend labor to reduce your sentenced time. You may also break out of jail, albeit with a Wanted debuff that prevents a lot of actions.
  • You also receive honor points, and lose some upon a PvP death, which are useful for purchasing/crafting various things like gems and reduced PvP damage necklaces.

Labor
  • Labor is one of the most important things that you generate automatically, both online and offline. Currently in PTS, you generate 20 per 5 minutes.
  • You are capped to 5000 labor per account - your labor is shared between ALL of your characters.
  • You use labor to craft, harvest plants/fruits/trees, mine, fish, husbandry, upgrade gear, create certs to pay taxes on your property, run tradepacks, and some other things.
  • You receive a static %XP per labor spent, so it's always worth it to log in to spend it. If you can only play for a few minutes one day, it's worth burning labor to get XP if nothing else, rather than it capping and going to waste. Buy a bunch of cheap stone/logs/ore and resell the made craft on the Auction House, even if you're just breaking even.

Class
  • Classes are combinations of 3 different skillsets. You can change any skillset for a small fee at a shrine, but you will need to level it from where you left off, or level 10 if it's something you haven't leveled yet. Leveling other skillsets is real easy once you hit 55 and can farm mobs.
  • There are 12 skillsets to choose from. https://archeagecodex.com/us/calc/ has 11 to look at, as the 12th skillset is still pretty new and I cannot find any calculators that have it available to play with yet.
  • There are, of course, "meta" classes, but this is highly subjective and very dependent on what you are doing. Shadowplay is one of the most useful skillsets due to having Stealth for tradepacks/PvP, but you don't need stealth in a dungeon, when you could bring something more useful instead.
  • It's recommended to pick 3 skillsets and stick with them to 55, then swap 1 or 2 out and level them up via farming mobs/dungeons. You could also swap all 3 and burn a ton of labor to level them up.

Equipment
  • You will have a choice of 2x 1-hand weapons (shield included), or 1x box of 2-hand weapons at the start of the Main Story Questline. Some classes are better suited to various weapon types/combinations.
  • You will also have a choice of Plate/Leather/Cloth boxes of armor to choose from as you progress the MSQ.
  • They all have their pros and cons depending on what type of class you are playing, and opinions on what to go with on each class is highly subjective.
  • You will receive infusions and awakening scrolls from the MSQ quest rewards to upgrade your armor as you level. You will want to keep up with these, or you will be slower to kill things/easier to kill as you attempt to fight mobs/players to get your quests done.
  • You can retrieve any infusions/scrolls put into any piece of upgraded armor or weapon. Don't like cloth as a mage? Go break down all your cloth pieces and buy a set of Plate for a pittance and be back to leveling in a few minutes. It only costs labor and some money to upgrade your gear again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll
I'm probably going to let this game sucker me back in, at least for a little bit. I put a month or two in the first time goons gave this a shot, and while the overall experience was extremely negative, between the prolific hacking/botting, insane guild meltdown (even by SA standards), and just general greedy incompetence of the people in charge...there DID seem to be a decent game in there, somewhere. Maybe???

The class system was so loving cool. I want to play as a Thaumaturge again, because the idea of a plate-wearing shield-bearing self-healing fire comet-throwing wizard is just too cool even if it isn't one of the four insane PVP classes (which it certainly wasn't back then).