Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm a huge Dune nerd.

A true dune nerd would have a thumper :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Slavvy posted:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

:drat:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
don't name your bike, dorks

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jazzzzz posted:

don't name your bike, dorks

Isabelle is pissed at you now

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

But that would attract the worm! Haven't you read Fatboy Slim's treatise on the subject?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
My leathers smell like a moisture suit. Halp.

Being a Freman isn't easy.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

mewse posted:

Isabelle is pissed at you now

Morrigan disapproves

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Isolationist posted:

But that would attract the worm! Haven't you read Fatboy Slim's treatise on the subject?

"Fat Boy" Slim? Sounds like a Harley guy and I don't listen to Harley guys

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

MetaJew posted:

My leathers smell like a moisture suit. Halp.

Being a Freman isn't easy.

It's called a stillsuit, you Museum Fremen!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Phy posted:

"Fat Boy" Slim? Sounds like a Harley guy and I don't listen to Harley guys

Fat boy slim is what you get when you put fat bob rims on a softail slim AFAIK.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Ok. Fess up.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Please tell me that’s a Buell

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Slavvy posted:

Thanks guys, this whole exchange made me chuckle but this one is a winner.

Revvik posted:

Ok. Fess up.

this guy fucks

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mister Speaker posted:

this guy fucks

Oh this guy is well past mere pedestrian concerns like loving

mewse posted:

Please tell me that’s a Buell

It's a Buell Blast, which I've had the great fortune to never ride but I'm told vibrate like a Parkinson's patient in a paint shaker

Also underpowered and uncomfortable

Phy fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 5, 2019

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I look at that guy and see a cenobite with a bike license

mewse
May 2, 2006

Phy posted:

It's a Buell Blast, which I've had the great fortune to never ride but I'm told vibrate like a Parkinson's patient in a paint shaker

Also underpowered and uncomfortable

Beautiful. I rode one in a learners course and hated it

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

It's a Blast! Never forget the exclamation point.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Wouldn't that be like Extremely Bad in a crash? Or is it so massive that the straps would snap and it departs like the space shuttle fuel tank before it has a chance to break the dude's back in half

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I’m glad I caught this because I keep noticing little things. Like the chaps. Or the sneakers tied off on the backpack.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

FBS posted:

Wouldn't that be like Extremely Bad in a crash? Or is it so massive that the straps would snap and it departs like the space shuttle fuel tank before it has a chance to break the dude's back in half
It's terrible in a gentle turn, forget about the crash.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

FBS posted:

I think it wraps around and actually keeps his spine unmoving and safe! The bit at the top helps with whiplash too. It's a big safety upgrade for the Buell TBH

Edit: ALL the gear all the time.

Alpha Phoenix fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Oct 6, 2019

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

mewse posted:

Beautiful. I rode one in a learners course and hated it

I rode one for years and loved it. It wasn’t as abused as a learner course bike so that might have had something to do with it, but it was a fun little thumper. I do have Stockholm syndrome with Buell though, as I’ve owned several...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I rode one for years and loved it. It wasn’t as abused as a learner course bike so that might have had something to do with it, but it was a fun little thumper. I do have Stockholm syndrome with Buell though, as I’ve owned several...

:psyduck:

'Half a sportster engine' is right up there with 'Italian v-twin motard' on the list of theoretically great but practically miserable ideas.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I owned one and loved it until I tried literally any other motorcycle.

It's really not a bad bike until you realize it's a terrible bike.

It's what you'd get if you tried to order a motorcycle from SharperImage or HammacherSchlemmer.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
RedBull sponsored WESS (World Enduro Super Series) at HawkStone park in the UK.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRRT_JSnqHY

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

:psyduck:

'Half a sportster engine' is right up there with 'Italian v-twin motard' on the list of theoretically great but practically miserable ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fUjn7wSoG0

:colbert:

(Unless you mean the Hypermotoard in which case I agree, any supermoto with more than 600cc is just a dadbike trying to squeeze into it's kids' clothes)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

No I meant the SXV, they are notoriously terrible bikes when you aren't riding one.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

Slavvy posted:

No I meant the SXV, they are notoriously terrible bikes when you aren't riding one.

Dorsoduro 1200, checkmate

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Yeah, but if you aren't the poor bastard maintaining it/fixing it, the SXV is loving awesome. The Blast can't make any such claim

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Isn’t there some Italian guy in the Bay Area who is basically THE guy who keeps all the SXVs in California running?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Jazzzzz posted:

Yeah, but if you aren't the poor bastard maintaining it/fixing it, the SXV is loving awesome. The Blast can't make any such claim

But you are the poor guy paying some other poor soul to maintain it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Right I get it, it's like a 2 wheel Alfa. Fantastic when your mate's got one.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The best use for an SXV is to keep the fantastic chassis, scrap the garbage motor and put something Japanese in its place

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I thought the motor was the core of it's charm? You are just wanting to turn it into a KTM.

Edit: gimme an sxv with a raced up hawk motor

Coydog fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 8, 2019

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you stick with similar displacement, the Husky FS450 makes a little more horsepower(63 vs 60) and weighs over 40 lbs less than the sxv450(227 w/o fuel vs 268 dry). The 550 is claiming around 70 at 282 lbs. I think the new KTMs are pretty similar, as it's all KTMs and Huskys at the front of the pack in the local open class sumo races.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

What makes the SXV engine so bad? 60hr service intervals seemed reasonable for a dirt bike, or those wildly optimistic?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The best use for an SXV is to keep the fantastic chassis, scrap the garbage motor and put something Japanese in its place

:italy: vafanculo, sei pazzo *gesticulates wildly* :italy:

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Isn’t there some Italian guy in the Bay Area who is basically THE guy who keeps all the SXVs in California running?

There were like 3 guys in the US making a living off of keeping SXVs and RXVs alive - there's one in Maryland (Allen Noland), there is or used to be a guy at AF1 in Austin, and a dude on the west coast (not sure if he's in the Bay area or not).

MomJeans420 posted:

What makes the SXV engine so bad? 60hr service intervals seemed reasonable for a dirt bike, or those wildly optimistic?

The '07 models came from the factory with bad sealant that let coolant into your oil and resulted in your motor eating itself (orange sealant vs black, I forget which is the good and which is bad). They're notorious for eating starters, not sure what else they chew through on the regular but they were designed to be high strung race bikes. Bad start out of the gate, people treating them like street bikes and doing maintenance accordingly, plus loooong waits for parts from Italy when poo poo eventually broke, and it's gonna break = bad reputation

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 8, 2019

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
e: ^^^ this.

MomJeans420 posted:

Just my understanding, but I think the initial run of engines had a serious run of issues with some (I forget which) sealant/gaskets and maybe the shape of the engine case? So a lot of ads will say "gaskets done by Allen Noland." Maybe there was some other issue?

With that fixed, I think they're about as reliable as any highly strung italian v-twin race bike (Betas are good though).

Slim Pickens posted:

If you stick with similar displacement, the Husky FS450 makes a little more horsepower(63 vs 60) and weighs over 40 lbs less than the sxv450(227 w/o fuel vs 268 dry). The 550 is claiming around 70 at 282 lbs. I think the new KTMs are pretty similar, as it's all KTMs and Huskys at the front of the pack in the local open class sumo races.

Yeah, but these are modern thumpers vs. v twins from 2007. The '07 KTM 450 was 56 hp and weighed 250 dry which makes the aprilia look a bit better, particularly as the 500 wasn't introduced until 2012. Then there's thumper power delivery (aka the best) vs. v twin power delivery (also the best, but second best).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

builds character posted:

Then there's thumper power delivery (aka the best) vs. v twin power delivery (also the best, but second best).

I don't even know what to say to this.