Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sakurazuka posted:

The Secret of Mana guy :mad:

he only composed secret of mana while he literally came up with the idea to make koudelka, thus i will know him as the koudelka guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Phantasium posted:

also i figured that's the kind of esoteric thing you'd already know colonel, i'm disappointed

kikuta has been real friendly with indie crowdfunded games, they composed some tracks for a goon-made game too, iirc.

i read up on old esoteric things, you can't expect me to always be following new ones

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Colonel posted:

he only composed secret of mana while he literally came up with the idea to make koudelka, thus i will know him as the koudelka guy
Also the Koudelka OST is rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPk215ynth4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP-lXk57coo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eVouDu6HTc

Kinda sucks they never got him back to do any of the Shadow Hearts soundtracks, seeing is that they were still kind of his creations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I might be wrong on this but I think he left the series specifically because Shadow Hearts went more in the JRPG direction rather than the Horror direction.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Endorph posted:

I might be wrong on this but I think he left the series specifically because Shadow Hearts went more in the JRPG direction rather than the Horror direction.
He just left before that because Koudelka's development was such a clusterfuck, if I'm not mistaken. Like Kikuta wanted the game to be a survival horror RPG akin to Parasite Eve but the rest of team insisted on the messy turned based tile system.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 5, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oh yeah, I got my wires crossed on when he left.

Also, on an unrelated note, apparently Atelier Ryza barely has any actual fanservicey bits and the only real fanservice elements are Ryza and Lila's designs, which, lol. About what I expected but puts some of the handwringing into perspective.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
Is This Japanese Game TOO Horny??? is always a thought to take with a grain of salt

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thats a great name for my new dating sim though

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

three routes:

girl that says 'yes, it's too horny.' glasses. student council president. strict.

girl that says 'maybe?' lazy. sleepy. likes to eat.

girl that says 'no, it needs to be hornier.' excitable. artist. secretly depressed.

true route where you find the artist who drew the characters and it's also a high school girl.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

but first you must find a way past the Gatekeepers of Horny

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

the op strat is to respond to any flirts with 'im gay'

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

He just left before that because Koudelka's development was such a clusterfuck, if I'm not mistaken. Like Kikuta wanted the game to be a survival horror RPG akin to Parasite Eve but the rest of team insisted on the messy turned based tile system.

Here's the non-answer he gave a while back. He might still not like talking about it?

question posed in an AMA a few years back posted:

I'm curious about the history of Sacnoth. What was the experience of making Koudelka like? Can you tell us a bit about the internal struggles during the development of that title? Would you ever want to do game development again?

Also, how do you feel about the way the Shadow Hearts series evolved from that title?

Kikuta posted:

Koudelka was a game that had the world, characters and themes I wanted to create and I really liked it. For me, the important factors in RPGs is the world, characters and story. It's great when these three factors come together well. I think it's not right if you can't create a title that you can remember five years, or even ten years from now.

I don't want to go too much into details into what happened on Koudelka but regarding game development if the chance came up I would definitely try it again.

When it comes to characters and story, I am simple. Some people say that games and movies are different. I disagree. They are very much of the same if nothing else that they are often sold in the same places. In order to create a successful game, it must be able to best a movie. If a movie is interesting, people will buy or watch it. This is the same for video games. When it comes to video games, movies or even TV shows, the characters and the story are utmost important.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

doki doki gamedev club

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Koudelka is better than Secret of Mana, tbh.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

i'll forever always remember Kikuta for SoM+

That man makes music with *telephone beeps*

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I know this isn't very descriptive or helpful or anything but does anyone know this character? All I can remember is that she had one of those weird impossible designs where like, her ribbon was tied into her hair and they were kinda merged somehow.

Everyone, I'm sorry I cursed you all with a riddle with no answer but I'm glad to say that I've figured it out.

https://youtu.be/49j2FLAHMgA

About 7:30 minutes into this video is what I was thinking of. And even then I could've swore she had a big ol ribbon on the back of her head too like Charlotte in Fe:Fates.

Anyway, mystery solved if anyone has other crazy examples, please do share.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

that's a really rad hairstyle, i want to play with using hair extensions and ribbons to get that look one day

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
That kind of look where the ribbon is done up as part of the hairdo isn't that uncommon. Elise from Fire Emblem Fates has it too.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

three routes:

girl that says 'no, it needs to be hornier.' excitable. artist. secretly depressed.

But I'm not an artist.

cheetah7071 posted:

That kind of look where the ribbon is done up as part of the hairdo isn't that uncommon. Elise from Fire Emblem Fates has it too.

It's also kind of a pain to deal with, though I suppose that's not uncommon with stylish hair. :v:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Whoever made 16 bit mode in DQ11, possibly a vengeful servant of the designer of DQ7's opening dungeon, really really didnt want it to be snappy or fast.

Im nearing what in a great game would be the end but is obviously the first half at best of this one and come on game lets just drop this Mordegon farce. We both know he wont be the final villain so why not introduce him in some capacity earlier than 20 something hours into your game.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah I couldn't stand playing in the 16 bit mode for too long. It just feels so much slower than the already pretty relaxed normal game.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah I couldn't stand playing in the 16 bit mode for too long. It just feels so much slower than the already pretty relaxed normal game.

Also they didn't include the enemy attack sprites which saps some of the charm out of the excellent monster designs.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Thank you Jimmy, I needed that laugh after finding the hidden boss that was in the cave behind the giant's legs. It's great because you even come to it after seeing some brain-eating monstrosity too.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Whoever made 16 bit mode in DQ11, possibly a vengeful servant of the designer of DQ7's opening dungeon, really really didnt want it to be snappy or fast.

Im nearing what in a great game would be the end but is obviously the first half at best of this one and come on game lets just drop this Mordegon farce. We both know he wont be the final villain so why not introduce him in some capacity earlier than 20 something hours into your game.

So where are you in the game?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nemo2342 posted:

So where are you in the game?

On my way with 6 orbs to reach yggdrasil. I feel like theres no way Im actually reaching yggdrasil at this point be because I dont feel like the devs would build a totally new second map

Edit: Just finished that and lmao, of course. I got to the next section and Im calling it right now the black tockle that was sitting on the bench in gondolia but is now gone in the world of ruin is the real final boss of the game

Barudak fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 6, 2019

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Crowetron posted:

Koudelka is better than Secret of Mana, tbh.

Secret of Mana < Koudelka < Legend of Mana

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DQ11 - this story is totally gonna pull a grandia 2 isnt it. The hero of light lost and just contained the final boss rather than defeating it outright

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Someone did a graphical update of the convoy scene in Lisa the Hopeful, which I thought was kinda neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPScu8mOn6E

The remix of Heartburn is good too.

Phantasium posted:

Thank you Jimmy, I needed that laugh after finding the hidden boss that was in the cave behind the giant's legs. It's great because you even come to it after seeing some brain-eating monstrosity too.

Which one was that, the imaginary numbers in the asymmetical cavern?

I love the bonus bosses and dungeons in that game. Grimclaw is such a fantastic fight.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 6, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
lisa the pointless was in some ways better than the original game and it's a shame that it will never see completion

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The Monster update is comin', just you wait!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

Which one was that, the imaginary numbers in the asymmetical cavern?

I love the bonus bosses and dungeons in that game. Grimclaw is such a fantastic fight.

Yeah, that one, having the vague context of these things being things Jimmy fears (right?) just made me laugh in a "aww poor jimmy" way.

Also agreed, Grimclaw was why I didn't want to continue the main game until today, because I just knew I had the tools for it and just needed to figure out where to use them and it was such a satisfying win. I already outleveled two other hidden bosses I completely missed because I was treating the game as far more linear than it actually is and didn't want to do it with anything I actually found, because I think I missed out on some fun fights that way.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Phantasium posted:

Yeah, that one, having the vague context of these things being things Jimmy fears (right?) just made me laugh in a "aww poor jimmy" way.

Also agreed, Grimclaw was why I didn't want to continue the main game until today, because I just knew I had the tools for it and just needed to figure out where to use them and it was such a satisfying win. I already outleveled two other hidden bosses I completely missed because I was treating the game as far more linear than it actually is and didn't want to do it with anything I actually found, because I think I missed out on some fun fights that way.

I think there's something like 20 optional bosses.

There's a ton of content and they're all pretty memorable.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I mean I'm actually looking for them now so I'm not too worried about it anymore. Though I have your thread to thank since I briefly peeked in to find out I was missing stuff.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

GrandmaParty posted:

I think there's something like 20 optional bosses.

There's a ton of content and they're all pretty memorable.

Are you counting the final post game dungeon as more than one optional boss? I know there's a bunch but all I can think of is Slither, Ebeezil, Turnbuckle, Grimclaw, Mr. Cat, Imaginary Numbers, Mad Queen, Gold King, Black Prophet, Pheonix and the last one in the heart prison.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
[quote="Barudak" post="498892268"]
DQ11 - this story is totally gonna pull a grandia 2 isnt it. The hero of light lost and just contained the final boss rather than defeating it outright
[quote]

That's like 50% true, maybe? You gently caress the final boss up pretty hard in the second act.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

Are you counting the final post game dungeon as more than one optional boss? I know there's a bunch but all I can think of is Slither, Ebeezil, Turnbuckle, Grimclaw, Mr. Cat, Imaginary Numbers, Mad Queen, Gold King, Black Prophet, Pheonix and the last one in the heart prison.

You forgot Mr. Grouse, the undead Beach Babe, and Whisper Weaver. That's all I can think of, but I might be missing a few too.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Oxxidation posted:

lisa the pointless was in some ways better than the original game and it's a shame that it will never see completion

I like Lisa the hopeful more than pointless and way more than Joyful.

It might even be better than painful IMO, at least on painful difficulty.

Zinkraptor posted:

You forgot Mr. Grouse, the undead Beach Babe, and Whisper Weaver. That's all I can think of, but I might be missing a few too.

Also the arena has a lot of optional unique bosses.

Like Johnny Katana

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 6, 2019

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Zinkraptor posted:

You forgot [spoiler]Mr. Goose

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I like Lisa the hopeful more than pointless and way more than Joyful.

It might even be better than painful IMO, at least on painful difficulty.

hopeful has better combat and the valuable advantage of actually being finished but the writing imo is weaker by a good margin

pointless manages the thematic coherence and grim tone of painful while somehow still keeping an optimistic edge, and the dialogue manages to copy the original game's clipped terseness but with a more poetic bent. hopeful's dialogue is too naturalistic for my taste, lots of ellipses and repeating words. the dinner scene in pointless outstrips anything else in any of the lisa games for me, fan-made or otherwise

i also liked how pointless broadened the original games' nihilist pursuit of gratification into all forms of spiritual and bodily denigration instead of just carnal ones - the presence of buddy is whispered about in downtown olathe, but for everyone in the game she's just one more hopeless rumor among many, and i find the infinity franchise a way better thematic match for their plot than hart and his merry band of rapists

lisa the joyful was a mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DQ11 conversation below

[quote="Azathoth256" post=""498895130"]
That's like 50% true, maybe? You gently caress the final boss up pretty hard in the second act.
[/quote]

No no, I mean the previous hero of light. The game is like Oh he went to the sky to become a star. And then the first dude I talk to in Gondolia says the star is bright red and glows brighter and is getting bigger now mordegon won. So now Im assuming erdwin or whatever the first heroes name is actually lost