Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Gimme an electric Mazda 3 already :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Mazdaspeed3 EV (MazdaspeedEV?)

I want a fast, electric hatch.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq0AYseEUQA

No info, just October 23 at Tokyo Auto Show.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MetaJew posted:

Mazdaspeed3 EV (MazdaspeedEV?)

I want a fast, electric hatch.

I'm sure it'll sell dozens. You could buy an e-tron?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Yeah yeah. I know. I'll probably just end up with a dual motor, long range Model 3 whenever I buy a new car, but it's fun to dream.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

In the Philippines the fourth gen Mazda 3 hit the market with five different trim levels. The top trim is the "Mazda 3 Speed" with the NA 2.0L Skyactiv engine :troll:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Charles posted:

No wagon here in North America. :-/

I guess the extra length of the sedan is less of an issue then (it’s just too long to park in my part of the world)

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I filled my gen3 Mazda3 up for a drive from Chicago to upper Michigan to meet up with the in-laws at a cabin on the lake. The car reported 500mi to an empty tank and we rode exactly 450mi there and back. My wife opted to take her new(er) Prius hybrid, but it only gets 350mi on a full tank.
We drove all the way out, made two pit-stops and a detour and I didn't have to refill the tank until after that weekend when we got back. Anyways that's my Mazda story thanks for asking.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Video Nasty posted:

I filled my gen3 Mazda3 up for a drive from Chicago to upper Michigan to meet up with the in-laws at a cabin on the lake. The car reported 500mi to an empty tank and we rode exactly 450mi there and back. My wife opted to take her new(er) Prius hybrid, but it only gets 350mi on a full tank.
We drove all the way out, made two pit-stops and a detour and I didn't have to refill the tank until after that weekend when we got back. Anyways that's my Mazda story thanks for asking.

I took a first gen and later a third gen from Washington to Minnesota during summer. The third gen got pretty decent mileage the whole way even after it packed on a few pounds worth of bug butter:

I think that was somewhere in South Dakota? Also had to stop in Western Montana after hitting a bug cloud so thick I had to pull over to clean my windshield because I could no longer see out of it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

dissss posted:

I guess the extra length of the sedan is less of an issue then (it’s just too long to park in my part of the world)

Ha, my dad had an Opel Insignia wagon in Brussels, it was just way too big for a Euro city. It was so long you had to go up the steep driveway at the perfect angle.

But on topic, I fixed the skid pan that was dragging after I bottomed out on a steep road. The bumper is kind of messed up, but oh well. Also I just ripped off the dangling side skirt. I should take off the other side for symmetry :v:

I love my Mazda 3 and it's also transported precious cargo, many doggies and kitties, and plowed through the snow to help some of those animals too when everything was shut down here. But a lot of the plastic and rubber stuff is degrading :'( At least it's not rusty (well, the sway bar and some other stuff is a bit brown, but it'd be about a 0.1 on the Sockington scale).

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Hadn’t realized the numbers were so bad: https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2019/09/the-new-mazda-3-is-tanking-can-more-equipment-and-a-higher-base-price-change-that-in-2020/

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

No one wants to buy our car, better make it cost more!

What the gently caress Mazda.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Fabulousity posted:

I took a first gen and later a third gen from Washington to Minnesota during summer. The third gen got pretty decent mileage the whole way even after it packed on a few pounds worth of bug butter:

I think that was somewhere in South Dakota? Also had to stop in Western Montana after hitting a bug cloud so thick I had to pull over to clean my windshield because I could no longer see out of it.

Don't have a pic but I appreciate good Montana bug culling.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Mazda 3 TCR announced for racing type stuff: https://jalopnik.com/the-mazda-3-tcr-race-car-has-the-attitude-and-fender-fl-1838681176

Dunno about that wing but the rest of the body kit looks not bad?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Fabulousity posted:

Mazda 3 TCR announced for racing type stuff: https://jalopnik.com/the-mazda-3-tcr-race-car-has-the-attitude-and-fender-fl-1838681176

Dunno about that wing but the rest of the body kit looks not bad?

:same:

I was gonna post this but wasn’t sure if anyone was interested.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Just got the front body control module recall notice for my 2016 3 - guess it takes a while for the local Mazda distributor to catch up on these things.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Lol I got that done in May. Wow.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hey thread. Is this a good deal on a high mileage mazda 6 GLX 2014? Nz fun bucks, but an equivalent price for a lower mileage (say, 120000km) car looks like $18-$22k. Is there anything to know about the 2014 glx?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

GLX has the 2l engine which isn’t much to tote around a 6 in New Zealand. The GSX and up have the 2.5 which is a much better bet.

You should be able to get a higher mileage facelift (2015+) GSX for around $15k - check Turners.

Avoid diesels - they have expensive potential issues and make no economic sense with how taxes work here.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Question: does paint seriously affect resale/trade value? I can get my roof/hood/spoiler redone for about $900, but I may just cave and trade in soonish. The catalytic conv is obviously more serious but that doesn’t seem to make sense given the age, etc. if I’m just pouring money away I won’t remotely get back, might just wait. Texas so winter rust isn’t a real concern.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Hi, I have a question about my new (to me) Mazda CX-5: can I install a 17'' winter tires (on appropriate size rims) if it came with 19'' all season tires? Or if I do that there would need to be an adjustment in the computer to tell the car that now I have 17'' tires? The manual gives both dimensions (P225/65R17 100H and P225/55R19 99V) but it does say: When replacing tires, Mazda recommends that you replace tires of the same type originally fitted to your vehicle. For details, contact an Authorized Mazda Dealer.

I will ask the dealer next week when I'll have Android Auto installed, but I would sleep easier if the answer is yes and I find it earlier. The 17'' are quite a bit cheaper than the 19''.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

You’re fine so long as the overall diameter is close to original (which it will be if you’re switching to another tyre size that was a factory option).

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

dissss posted:

You’re fine so long as the overall diameter is close to original (which it will be if you’re switching to another tyre size that was a factory option).

Thanks. So the 17'' tire is essentially just "taller" than the 19'' one to keep the same diameter?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Volguus posted:

Thanks. So the 17'' tire is essentially just "taller" than the 19'' one to keep the same diameter?

Yes, the second number is the ratio of the sidewall to width.

Looking on the website, the GTR & Signature trims have slightly larger front brakes (12.6in vs 11.7in). Would that cause trouble clearing the brakes? They all have the same 16" spare tire size.

Also looking on the website, I discovered there is actual inventory of the mythical CX-5 diesel near me. They were supposed to email me when it came out.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I'm going to look at this car https://www.superiormazda.com/inventory/certified-used-2018-mazda-mazda6-touring-fwd-4dr-car-jm1gl1vm1j1312752 this weekend. Is that a good price and how much room for negotiation do dealers have for certified pre-owned cars?

If I can get them down to 16.8 or so OTD (less trade) I'll drive it off the lot. But that seems low vs. other listings.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

They had sold the 2018 by the time I got there but I was talked into a low miles 2015 in Soul Red. Posted a picture in the what did you do to your ride today thread but you've all seen a Mazda6 before.

Outside of the dated infotainment pretty sweet car. Coming from owning manuals in my last....4 cars the skyactiv transmission takes a little getting used to and feels a bit sluggish off the line but seems responsive enough when you get into it. Add to that the floor mounted gas pedal that seems to have a long travel that you have to really push into doesn't help.

Overall I'm satisfied and it feels like a great step up from my 2011 3.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
What are the odds that a rear endlink I bought was DOA? This clunk in my rear end is driving me crazy. :|

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Check your swaybar bushings.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
The endlinks were either doa or destroyed immediately. I put the moogs back on, greased them heavily and fastened em gütentite and no clunk.

What a car.

I'm going to replace the LCAs next. I'm debating replacing the trans mount and PMM with the Damond ones. Not sure if I'll regret the NVH, but at 95k miles and ten years it couldn't hurt to replace the trans mount, and go ahead and use the Damon pmm at the same time since I think it's slightly discounted to buy both.

Alternatively, my brother has a 2015 FiST with 39k miles, and he is considering buying a Model 3. Hypothetically, I could instead, fix the LCAs and sell my MS3 privately and buy the FiST off of him.

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
I’ve been running all three Damond mounts for a little over a year and have no regrets. Definitely increased NVH, but it’s not overbearing in my opinion (and I DD in LA traffic). I actually prefer them to the stock mounts because I can feel what the engine is doing. Makes it easier to upshift/downshift in traffic IMO.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

MX-30 announced at Tokyo Auto Show

No specifics on the drive train, range, etc.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

hattersmad posted:

I’ve been running all three Damond mounts for a little over a year and have no regrets. Definitely increased NVH, but it’s not overbearing in my opinion (and I DD in LA traffic). I actually prefer them to the stock mounts because I can feel what the engine is doing. Makes it easier to upshift/downshift in traffic IMO.

I ordered some new LCAs to hopefully resolve the front end clunk that I think is a result of torn "rear" bushings on at least the passenger side. They should arrive before the weekend. It seems like other than having to loosen the PMM and/or RMM to reminder the passenger side forward bolt, it shouldn't be /that difficult.

Should I just rent a pickle fork tool from AutoZone to separate the ball joint from the knuckle? I've got a 4 lbs sledge to do some smashing if needed.

I think I'm going to wait until black Friday to see if a deal shows up for the Damond motor mounts and then grab those, too.

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
I haven’t done the LCAs on this car yet so I don’t have any great advice to give there, but that sounds like the right approach generally.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

During dashboard reassembly when I replaced the bay harness I plugged one of the Speed6's body harness connectors into the PCM. The plugs are the exact same shape. It is amazing that the car started and ran, what a durable piece of equipment. :vsuicide:

Now that I've removed the deprecated Unichip setup, the PCM is pissed as gently caress that there's a big garrett turbo on it, hopefully a tune will help the CEL situation so I can finally get it stickered now that I have an AP. I am really glad to be back in this car, though, I forgot how nice the seats felt when driving it around, and it's soooooooo comfy compared to my old RS Coupe that I put on cheap coilovers.

I REALLY do not regret putting the Indy 500s on this thing, either, WOW these are loving sticky.

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 24, 2019

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

All the monitors set within ~70 miles of driving, and it didn’t even need a tune...? Is the stock ECU on this really that tolerant?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I replaced the LCAs today. I was honestly surprised with how easy it was to remove them. The videos for the MZR 2.0 and Mazda 3 both showed that the AC compressor got in the way and I had never really considered where it was located on the MZR 2.3.

Anyway, to make a long story short, removing both LCAs is easy; only a couple of minutes for each side depending on how fast you move. Reinstalling the LCAs is a huge pain in the rear end if you're working on your back and don't have a second pair of hands to help you align all of the bolts.

I think my steering feels tighter, and my rear bushings were definitely shot. That being said, I still hear a clunk, so now I'm thinking it's the trans mount that has failed, perhaps. I'm going to pickup the Damond TMM and PMM (maybe there will be a sale on Black Friday?)

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Oct 27, 2019

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Do the NA 2.5 skyactiv motors get any benefit from running a higher octane fuel? I just put my first tank of gas in the 6 and was curious.

Really digging this boring dad car.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I haven’t noticed any difference between 91, 95 and 98 (RON) - it runs just fine on any and if there is a power or economy difference it’s imperceptible.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Previa_fun posted:

Do the NA 2.5 skyactiv motors get any benefit from running a higher octane fuel? I just put my first tank of gas in the 6 and was curious.

Really digging this boring dad car.

I'm high altitude which skews things a bit - octane ratings are 2 lower than at sea level (we have 85, 87, and 89 available). Googling it says that running the lower octane is equivalent to the higher sea level equivalent. So, I feel like in my 2016 3s GT I get about 1-1.5 mpg better with the mid-grade. I drive the same 150 mile round trip 1-2 times per week so in theory it should be very replicable. And it's about 37.5 mpg with 85 and 39ish with 87. (Note that fuel economy is also higher at high altitude. But you lose about 22% of your horsepower at 6500 feet).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Year old cabin air filter:

The car ate part of a bird and a cat toy at some point? :confused: