Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Onmi posted:

Okay, at what point in CF does Edelgard say she's only invading to get Rhea? Tell me when she says that Rhea is her goal and not the subjugation of the other nations.

You know Rhea is de facto running the Kingdom's war effort on CF right?

You literally see Dimitri taking orders from her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Cuntellectual posted:

Having played all four, which one is that

The one I mentioned in the rest of my post

(crimson flower)

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Onmi posted:

That's what I thought.

I dont think you get it

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Zore posted:

You know Rhea is de facto running the Kingdom on CF right?

I do, still explain to me where her decision is that she only wants to invade the Kingdom to get Rhea. She declares war on both the Alliance and Kingdom and the only difference CF brings over the other routes is that due to Byleth's absence she is hesitant to move forward with her war efforts.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Onmi posted:

I do, still explain to me where her decision is that she only wants to invade the Kingdom to get Rhea. She declares war on both the Alliance and Kingdom and the only difference CF brings over the other routes is that due to Byleth's absence she is hesitant to move forward with her war efforts.

She also needs to rely less on slitherer backing, hence not using demonic beasts (and the kingdom does because uhhhhh dedue thought it would work out (Narrator: It did not work out))

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Onmi posted:

Okay, at what point in CF does Edelgard say she's only invading to get Rhea? Tell me when she says that Rhea is her goal and not the subjugation of the other nations.

She might have had the intention of doing that, but we'll never know because IIRC the order of events in CF, as presented by the narrator, goes "Edelgard declares war on Church > pushes Rhea out of Garreg > Rhea flees to Kingdom > Dimitri instantly swears fealty (which means specific things, and none of them good in this situation) in order to get a better chance of killing Edelgard himself > Kingdom declares War on Empire."

Edit:

Onmi posted:

In CF, the now-Rhea-lead (because Dimitri swears fealty to Rhea for personal and insane-blaming-child-for-massacre reasons) Kingdom declares war on the Empire before Edelgard gets the chance to declare war on the Kingdom so not quite.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 5, 2019

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

The most unambiguously wrong thing edelgard does in CF is invading the alliance tbh

She however did nothing wrong so the only logical conclusion is that those chapters arent canon

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I mean the Alliance is waiting to jump in once either of the other powers gets beaten up so it makes 100% tactical sense why they do it. Like that's Claude's explicit plan and exactly what he does on his route.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Her literal stated war dec, even on non CF routes is declaring war on the Church of Seiros and it's followers and presumably the Alliance and Kingdom both support the Church. Like in BL this is her declaring war. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVWDg2pI8GE&t=302s

We don't know what would've happened if say the Alliance or whatever stayed neutral or not, well depending on how CF plays out. It is confused if the Empire and Alliance are already at war or not.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Junpei Hyde posted:

The most unambiguously wrong thing edelgard does in CF is invading the alliance tbh

She however did nothing wrong so the only logical conclusion is that those chapters arent canon

a compelling argument

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Zore posted:

I mean the Alliance is waiting to jump in once either of the other powers gets beaten up so it makes 100% tactical sense why they do it. Like that's Claude's explicit plan and exactly what he does on his route.

yes but my argument is more that doing something because its tactically sound rather than 100% morally good is probably the worst thing you ultimately do from a moral perspective

E: Also, as mentioned, you dont actually invade the alliance

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Also the route split should have been on deer and been claude deciding what side to pick, I M O

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Junpei Hyde posted:

Certainly the most morally suspect, though it kinda makes sense as given how the Alliance was split 50/50 and could join either side, if it had waited for Edel to focus entirely on the Kingdom and then gotten the jump on the distracted-and-out-of-position Empire that would have been...bad, as opposed to just rushing down the leader of the anti-Empire coalition and then pulling out and letting things go from there.

Claude's (somewhat-ill-deserved) reputation for planning, scheming and backstabbing is probably part of the reason, as Edelgard might not have seen the Alliance as actually being held together by string and hopes but rather part of a scheme to wait until everyone else was exhausted to sweep in and win basically by having done nothing.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Junpei Hyde posted:

Also the route split should have been on deer and been claude deciding what side to pick, I M O

As interesting as that would be there'd be like, no game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

yes but my argument is more that doing something because its tactically sound rather than 100% morally good is probably the worst thing you ultimately do from a moral perspective

E: Also, as mentioned, you dont actually invade the alliance

I mean it can play into morality. If you know the only reason someone hasn't stabbed you is because you're watching them, but you do know they plan on stabbing you eventually once you turn around, it is far less morally fraught to attack them first than if there was no indication they would attack you.

quote:

Certainly the most morally suspect, though it kinda makes sense as given how the Alliance was split 50/50 and could join either side, if it had waited for Edel to focus entirely on the Kingdom and then gotten the jump on the distracted-and-out-of-position Empire that would have been...bad, as opposed to just rushing down the leader of the anti-Empire coalition and then pulling out and letting things go from there.

Claude's (somewhat-ill-deserved) reputation for planning, scheming and backstabbing is probably part of the reason, as Edelgard might not have seen the Alliance as actually being held together by string and hopes but rather part of a scheme to wait until everyone else was exhausted to sweep in and win basically by having done nothing.

Its not even his reputation, that was his plan.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Shinji117 posted:

Again, it's understandable, which is what makes it morally ambiguous as opposed to actually unambiguously evil

(also thats only one of the reasons, iirc youre also doing it because its a more tactically sound route to take to fhirdiad)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Shinji117 posted:

And it certainly sounds like instead of diplomacy he just....doesn't attack even though the countries are formally at war but agreeing to not fight maybe? It's very confused but Claude could've written up some formal treaty of neutrality. Of course it's entirely plausible this happened during the timeskip, but we don't know about it. :shrug:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

also the "invasion" of the alliance in CF amounts to two whole strikes on military bases that are explicitly stated to avoid civilian centers before the leader says "eh whatever it was only really 2 or 3 nobles in my country that weren't on your side anyway" and fucks off back to fantasy canada

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Augus posted:

also the "invasion" of the alliance in CF amounts to two whole strikes on military bases that are explicitly stated to avoid civilian centers before the leader says "eh whatever" and fucks off to fantasy canada

Isn't Derdriu the capital tho? Like, the game makes it clear you avoid civilian casualties but it's still definitely a place where people like, live.

also why the gently caress didnt claude evacuate, it wasnt like it was a surprise invasion.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Junpei Hyde posted:

Isn't Derdriu the capital tho? Like, the game makes it clear you avoid civilian casualties but it's still definitely a place where people like, live.

also why the gently caress didnt claude evacuate, it wasnt like it was a surprise invasion.

Presumably to limit the battlefield because he knows Edelgard is avoiding civilian casualties. So he just evacuates the dock district, lets her know this, and has his boats full of wyverns plan. Only reason I can think of.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Junpei Hyde posted:

The map used for this chapter takes place in the city but the dialogue seems to suggest that the fighting is actually going on outside the city :shrug:
shame about the budget for this route huh

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

Because he's sacrificing most of the Kingdom supporters so that the Alliance's Empire supporters come out unscathed for integration. They note Derdriu is one of the major centers of Kingdom support.

Its an absolutely cold blooded and brutal move

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Eimi posted:

Presumably to limit the battlefield because he knows Edelgard is avoiding civilian casualties. So he just evacuates the dock district, lets her know this, and has his boats full of wyverns plan. Only reason I can think of.

OK why the gently caress do people not call him out for this that is incredibly stupid

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Derdriu's fighting is limited to the port, the actual giant-rear end city in the background comes out unscathed.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
Is Edelgard's attack on the monastery really the only explicit "I'll let the civilians and people who don't want to fight get out of the line of fire" siege/base assault in the game?
My memory might just be fuzzy, but I can't remember any other time. I specifically remember Claude not allowing it (which surprised me a bit), Rhea not allowing it (which didn't, but her next actions did a bit) and at when Edelgard is about to lose she doesn't allow it either, which is another "whelp, Edel when losing starts shaving pieces of her ideals until there's nothing left, see also turning into an inhuman monster to keep power".

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 5, 2019

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
The real villain of the game is whoever gave every single thief Pass on maddening

And the real hero is whoever gave Impregnable Wall 5 uses

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

So changing gears a bit, something I'm sad we probably won't see with the current DLC mode (unless Abyss mode is very surprising is Sothis confronting her wayward daughter. I so want to hear their conversation on any route, but especially on CF. Like it surprised me how Sothis acted, both that she's a cool gremlin, but also how willing she was to 'die' and become one with Byleth, a weird human who isn't particularly moral or anything at that point. It both feels to me as an inherant rejection of Rhea's plan but could speak to something else. In that, Sothis can see all of time, but was still killed. Now we know Thales protected Kronya, but was that because he was watching over her because she's a dumbass or because he can counter our time powers? Given that it's just a cutscene move and they never do anything with Divine Pulse, it seems to me he was just protecting Kronya. Which then begs the question of, how did Sothis die? And I think there's a possibility she let herself be killed because of the Agarthan war and possible guilt over it. But granted I hold onto the idea that the Agarthans weren't pure evil at the start and could just 'challenge' Sothis with their tech, leading to Rhea wanting to wipe them out. I absolutely miss Sothis in part 2 though.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

If Sothis vs agarthans is ever expanded on itll most likely make the events more morally ambiguous

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

If Dimitri really cares about the little people he’d let himself get executed. At that point in the narrative the Empire controls like 2/3ds of Faergus including the capital. Pretty decisive victory. Claude does this in Edelgard’s route because he’s a better person.

Also “the people of Faergus are counting on me” is bullshit. It’s feudalism, nation states barely exist, peasants don’t care who exacty the lord is, and there’s no standing national army to continue the fight. If your local aristocrat surrenders thats that.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Dimitri 100% believes that you need a centralised figure of authority to have a society and this clouds his judgement

(it also clouds the judgement of basically every character in the game just to lesser extents)

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Nanomashoes posted:

If Dimitri really cares about the little people he’d let himself get executed. At that point in the narrative the Empire controls like 2/3ds of Faergus including the capital. Pretty decisive victory. Claude does this in Edelgard’s route because he’s a better person.

Also “the people of Faergus are counting on me” is bullshit. It’s feudalism, nation states barely exist, peasants don’t care who exacty the lord is, and there’s no standing national army to continue the fight. If your local aristocrat surrenders thats that.

at that point in the narrative most of the cities are being run by slither puppets who are brutalizing the populace, it's why dimitri turns around and heads back to the kingdom once he gets his head on straight

not even be:e is free from this, the slithers immediately start looting artifacts after you take the alliance

also the "why don't you just surrender and do whatever the invaders want, this is on u" argument is dumb

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 5, 2019

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Edelgard really should have just killed rhea tbh

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

surely Hubert must have some fast-acting, odorless, colorless poisons lying around in his dorm

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Augus posted:

surely Hubert must have some fast-acting, odorless, colorless poisons lying around in his dorm

look he got those mixed up with the colognes one day and he doesn't want to mess with that whole situation

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Weekly reminder: The Spoiler Thread exists.

Yinlock posted:

also the "why don't you just surrender and do whatever the invaders want, this is on u" argument is dumb

Also this.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

we should improve society somewhat

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Junpei Hyde posted:

And yet you participate in society!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Junpei Hyde posted:

agreed friend

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Leal posted:

And yet you participate in society!

curious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Zore posted:

Because he's sacrificing most of the Kingdom supporters so that the Alliance's Empire supporters come out unscathed for integration. They note Derdriu is one of the major centers of Kingdom support.

Its an absolutely cold blooded and brutal move

Eh, His primary plan was pushing back the empire with said people. "Welp, we're all dead, so the other guys get their way" was plan B.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 5, 2019