Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I retract my previous statement that Claude is the moral good one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

the moral good one is actually me, personally

sorry everyone those are the rules

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Yinlock posted:

the moral good one is actually me, personally

sorry everyone those are the rules

But I'll think you'll find that you, personally, side with one of the lords, who are all literally hitler

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

The only moral option is to game over in the prologue.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

But I'll think you'll find that you, personally, side with one of the lords, who are all literally hitler

So you're saying the Church route is best? Seems legit.

Then again I guess that then makes Byleth literally hitler, so that checks out.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Airspace posted:

So you're saying the Church route is best? Seems legit.

Then again I guess that then makes Byleth literally hitler, so that checks out.

You side with rhea, the rare double hitler

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Doesn't Rhea actually declare war first shrieking about how she will muster her armies to destroy El?

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

You side with rhea, the rare double hitler

But Rhea's kind of gone most of the route, it is hard for her to be double hitler when she's not there.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Doesn't Rhea actually declare war first shrieking about how she will muster her armies to destroy El?

Kind of sort of but it's not like "I'm taking control of this Tomb" isn't a declaration of war from Empire to Seiros in the first place.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Maybe, but that's just semantics at that point. The Slitherers wanted war with Rhea for at least a hundred years and are the ones pulling the strings. The war would come whether or not El wanted it. El's whole thing is she wants to take out Rhea, so she's trying to subvert the war from within basically.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

edelgard provokes that by bringing troops and smashing up the most holy site ever, so

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

your fav did nothing wrong

Yinlock posted:

edelgard provokes that by bringing troops and smashing up the most holy site ever, so

but rhea provoked that by sucking
a lot

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Everyone's fav did everything wrong.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZuktUfF0nE

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Airspace posted:

Bernie noooooo.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Airspace posted:

Even if Edelgard did everything wrong (which she didn't) I would still lay myself out as a rug for her to step on.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Airspace posted:

But Rhea's kind of gone most of the route, it is hard for her to be double hitler when she's not there.

she had a while to be double hitler

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Junpei Hyde posted:

she had a while to be double hitler

that's unfair, you don't know everything

she might be one and a half hitlers, or maybe three-quarters hitler

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Or pi hitlers.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Yinlock posted:

that's unfair, you don't know everything

she might be one and a half hitlers, or maybe three-quarters hitler

i did the math, dont question me

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Junpei Hyde posted:

i did the math, dont question me

for the purposes of this exercise, presume a frictionless hitler

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Yinlock posted:

for the purposes of this exercise, presume a frictionless hitler

if shes frictionless why did she burn so well

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Junpei Hyde posted:

if shes frictionless why did she burn so well

if she isn't then why do i keep sliding into her strong yet gentle arms

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
I saw that there was a bunch of new posts, figured they announced another DLC thing early, but no, it's just more discourse over whether Edelgard and/or Rhea are evil :v:

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I think Claude is the worst of the lords he's basically a smug first year college student. No, destroying that mountain range will not create a Utopian cosmopolitan society. What will happen instead is the Ottomans Almryans will eventually start a giant war now that the barrier is open after Claude dies off. But yes Claude, there will be cultural homogeneity and peace after the Alymrans have conquered Folden or vice versa.

If Claude doesn't get what he wants what does he do? Screw you guys I'm taking my ball and going home. :allears:

Outside of philosophy 101 the conditions required to create a open, tolerant and multicultural society require strong nations with a history of democracy. You can't magically do this in the reign of one king. Not that matters Claude runs off even on the GD ending anyway.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

I saw that there was a bunch of new posts, figured they announced another DLC thing early, but no, it's just more discourse over whether Edelgard and/or Rhea are evil :v:

Hey that's not fair, we took a side trip into Dimitri town

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

DropsySufferer posted:

I think Claude is the worst of the lords he's basically a smug first year college student. No, destroying that mountain range will not create a Utopian cosmopolitan society. What will happen instead is the Ottomans Almryans will eventually start a giant war now that the barrier is open after Claude dies off. But yes Claude, there will be cultural homogeneity and peace after the Alymrans have conquered Folden or vice versa.

If Claude doesn't get what he wants what does he do? Screw you guys I'm taking my ball and going home. :allears:

Outside of philosophy 101 the conditions required to create a open, tolerant and multicultural society require strong nations with a history of democracy. You can't magically do this in the reign of one king. Not that matters Claude runs off even on the GD ending anyway.

Wrong. Claude is the only character who has read his Marx. In order to create a just society free of racism and aristocracy (communism), there must first be a bourgeois revolution. This is why the most important NPC is the unnamed merchant in Golden Deer Part 2 who is so excited about the removal of trade barriers; this presages the rise of the merchant class and fall of the martial aristocrats in Claude’s new order (see also the ability of Raphael and Ignatz to buy their way into the upper classes).

Edelgard, in contrast, is a figure more akin to Mao or Lenin, in that she believes that the natural flow of history can be altered by a great person. Her intentions might be just, but are ultimately doomed to failure as they ignore the historical dialectic.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Yeah but shes hot

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
400+ new posts in a short time? Nice, there must be some info about the DLC!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

not a bot posted:

400+ new posts in a short time? Nice, there must be some info about the DLC!

Yeah, how dare people discuss the plot of this narrative-driven game.

DanZX
May 5, 2015

Junpei Hyde posted:

Yeah but shes hot

So is Claude. I mean I’m not into dudes...but he IS a really pretty dude

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Junpei Hyde posted:

Yeah but shes hot

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

DanZX posted:

So is Claude. I mean I’m not into dudes...but he IS a really pretty dude

It's absurd that I'm not allowed to suck Claude's dick

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

McTimmy posted:

Bernie noooooo.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So, to veer away from this derail that should really go to the spoiler thread... I have been getting my rear end handed to me when attempting the Sothis paralouge. How am I supposed to stop the giant fuckoff swarm of monsters from one-shotting either Lysithea or Bernie and kill the boss monster?

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Smiling Knight posted:

Wrong. Claude is the only character who has read his Marx. In order to create a just society free of racism and aristocracy (communism), there must first be a bourgeois revolution. This is why the most important NPC is the unnamed merchant in Golden Deer Part 2 who is so excited about the removal of trade barriers; this presages the rise of the merchant class and fall of the martial aristocrats in Claude’s new order (see also the ability of Raphael and Ignatz to buy their way into the upper classes).

Ok... but how is that accomplished? By nice speeches and goodwill to all? Claude does nothing and is all talk.

He’s no Lenin or even a Trotsky. Claude is just an extremely highly privileged dreamer. He looks so good compared to the other two leaders because he isn’t a psycho.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

VolticSurge posted:

So, to veer away from this derail that should really go to the spoiler thread... I have been getting my rear end handed to me when attempting the Sothis paralouge. How am I supposed to stop the giant fuckoff swarm of monsters from one-shotting either Lysithea or Bernie and kill the boss monster?

take a LOT of battalions with big AoE gambits

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

professor metis posted:

On the other two routes Edelgard is more aligned with the Slitherers due to the lack of Byleth's support. The invasion of the Kingdom is possibly more Slitherer-backed, so it's possible Edelgard would not have pressed to invade in the Crimson Flower route if Rhea weren't being sheltered there. I think Edelgard is less revanchist on CF than the other routes where she is explicitly a villain.

It's a pity CF is so underdeveloped, because the state of the world is actually quite different compared to the other three routes, which are all very similar.

I think Edelgard is less aligned with Slitherers in BE-E because she won the battle at the monastery and was able to take it over without Slitherers, so she can make a 'staging ground' that the Slitherers can't nuke, and as such she is able to say 'lol no' to some of their schemes.

That, and I guess it's possible that the whole Cordelia rebellion thing was timed perfectly to make sure the war continued to take over all of fodland in other routes than BE-E, and ironically Dimitri immediately swearing fealty to Rhea entrenched his rules and made Cordelia unable to rebel.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

VolticSurge posted:

don't forget that gambits can attract monster attention, monsters will prioritize whoever last hit them with a gambit(unless they can't reach that person) so use that to spread the damage around your tankier guys

also try to just break one square then focus-fire it until the monster dies if you're cornered(though if you can, armor-break as many birds as possible as mythril is real useful and real rare)

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Oct 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

DropsySufferer posted:

Ok... but how is that accomplished? By nice speeches and goodwill to all? Claude does nothing and is all talk.

"Doing nothing" being bridging the gap between a continent and a nearby country that have been bitter enemies for hundreds of years, getting said invaders to join their enemies in a war they have no stake in and defeat an empire that dwarfs his country in terms of military power all for the aim of creating a borderless continent that forgives Duscur, grants Brigid their autonomy back and forgives and welcomes Alymra as a part of it???????? IMO I really like that Claude's final map/boss is the former King that "liberated" Fodlan. It feels moreso than any other ending that the world has genuinely entered a new era with a new creation myth, where the old continent's maker is bested by the new one.

The writers know their strengths; they are not great at actually writing political dealings or negotiations. That's why Claude and Edelgard (Maybe Hubert moreso) do most of their cool political dealings off-screen. That can lead to it feeling like they're doing nothing but both of them are working their asses off.