Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

In actual broadcasting, not print, news, longtime Chicago Bulls announcer Neil Funk has announced that the upcoming season, his 29th, will be his last before retirement.

Pat Foley's the last of the classic voices of my childhood left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/TomUrtzJr/status/1179569471389929472

jesus loving christ

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

When did Patrick Kane get into an issue in Wisconsin?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Timby posted:

I think he means the Buffalo cab driver thing but regardless, maybe don’t use Patrick Kane for analogies like that.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Timby posted:

Got wasted during Mifflin Street at the Kollege Klub in Madison a bunch of years ago.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
nah lol Kaner had himself a doozy in Madison in addition to the cab thing:

https://deadspin.com/reconstructing-patrick-kanes-drunken-weekend-in-madison-5909246

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/THEChrisKessell/status/1179765222627856385

I know this was up against the nfl but holy poo poo those are hideous numbers.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
MLS has been around 25 years. Why does it feel like they never got their act together? Corruption? , Culture?, Poor Marketing? Outside of the pacific northwest , they seem to be tolerated at best.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Timby posted:

In actual broadcasting, not print, news, longtime Chicago Bulls announcer Neil Funk has announced that the upcoming season, his 29th, will be his last before retirement.

Pat Foley's the last of the classic voices of my childhood left.

Aw man that sucks. I love Funk. He’s had to suffer a lot the last 20 years watching some bad Bulls teams.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Island Nation posted:

MLS has been around 25 years. Why does it feel like they never got their act together? Corruption? , Culture?, Poor Marketing? Outside of the pacific northwest , they seem to be tolerated at best.

They’re a D-level soccer league that has added teams to further dilute their talent pool all while every other superior league has become infinitely more accessibly to American audiences.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

also i see they scheduled the mls cup against the nfl this year

in recent years they tried to schedule it on saturday nights, that seemed like a better idea

speaking of mls, dc united put their broadcasts games on a streaming service

it's not ending well

https://twitter.com/dcunited/status/1179893905799733249

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/THEChrisKessell/status/1179765222627856385

I know this was up against the nfl but holy poo poo those are hideous numbers.
Well another thing going into that is that for the second-to-last Sunday of the season they have the Eastern Conference play all of their games at the same time, and then the Western Conference play their games half an hour later.

So, not only were the games up against the NFL but the only people who would have been watching those nationally-televised games would likely have been diehard fans of the teams themselves.

It'll be even worse this Sunday, when all twelve games are played simultaneously since it's the last gameday of the regular season.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 4, 2019

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Lmao even the USL is on over the air TV or ESPN plus

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ElwoodCuse posted:

Lmao even the USL is on over the air TV or ESPN plus
It's going to be fun when ESPN+ gets a virtual monopoly on soccer and either jacks up the price of ESPN+ itself or splits off the soccer content into a separate streaming service.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

gerard deparbieumer

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

gerard deparbieumer

jesus christ rd

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The thing is, when the gently caress is MLS supposed to play otherwise? They just changed the schedule so that there's no 2-week gap in the middle of the playoffs for international matches that everyone complained about.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
do a traditional schedule so their playoffs are in early may?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Peanut President posted:

Well, then, enjoy having the first half of your season going directly against football.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Peanut President posted:

I'm going to try to be as nice as I can about this since this is a thing that people on BigSoccer have thrown about as a panacea for literally two decades, so I'll just say that going by the traditional guidelines of the temperatures and conditions the sport is supposed to be played a September-May schedule in the USA and Canada would effectively mean no home games for any teams that see frequent snow in December, January, or February.

In addition, half of the season would go up against the NFL and college football, the start of the season would go up against the end of the Major League Baseball season, and the entire season would compete with both the NBA and the NHL.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
MLS’s problem is that there are a thousand loving teams that nobody gives a poo poo about outside of that hyper local market and they’re largely all staffed by garbage men. The only reason to follow mls is if you desperately need live soccer in your life in America and you like going to games. I say this as one of those people. The product on the field has improved vastly since the time I started following it in the early 2000’s but the league does everything in its power to dilute itself.

I will sit down and watch the bottom two teams in the premiere league scrap it out because there is nearly always something good about those games. I have zero connection to those teams, but the games are at least interesting and nearly always meaningful. You couldn’t pay me to sit down and listen to Taylor Twellman and company try to make poo poo up through a dull as gently caress broadcast of Bumblefuck Ohio FC playing Atletico Alabama, and I like Taylor Twellman. Especially since the asinine structure of MLS is going to make so many of these games totally meaningless in the not so distant future.

It makes me so mad. Just stop adding so many teams!!!

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I don't follow MLS so I looked up this too many teams thing to see the state of things, and got a lol at them having added four teams just since Trump got elected, and an additional lol that there are four more coming by 2022, and then a small final lol at the note that they plan to add two more shortly after. That seems completely insane

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Edward Mass posted:

Well, then, enjoy having the first half of your season going directly against football.

Crazy Ted posted:

I'm going to try to be as nice as I can about this since this is a thing that people on BigSoccer have thrown about as a panacea for literally two decades, so I'll just say that going by the traditional guidelines of the temperatures and conditions the sport is supposed to be played a September-May schedule in the USA and Canada would effectively mean no home games for any teams that see frequent snow in December, January, or February.

In addition, half of the season would go up against the NFL and college football, the start of the season would go up against the end of the Major League Baseball season, and the entire season would compete with both the NBA and the NHL.

I mean if you're gonna make that argument then they should shitcan the whole league since they're always up against somebody's playoffs seeing as how 1 is in winter, 1 is in fall, and 2 are in spring/summer.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1179959021589151744

E:

and hey! Jack Edwards is still a huge piece of poo poo!

https://twitter.com/walsha/status/1179985725946617856

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Crazy Ted posted:

Well another thing going into that is that for the second-to-last Sunday of the season they have the Eastern Conference play all of their games at the same time, and then the Western Conference play their games half an hour later.

So, not only were the games up against the NFL but the only people who would have been watching those nationally-televised games would likely have been diehard fans of the teams themselves.

It'll be even worse this Sunday, when all twelve games are played simultaneously since it's the last gameday of the regular season.

This also may be a factor - Dish removed FS1 from all their services because of their pissing contest with Fox. I couldn’t care less, but there may have been a lot of people who no longer had any ability to watch the matches.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Peanut President posted:

I mean if you're gonna make that argument then they should shitcan the whole league since they're always up against somebody's playoffs seeing as how 1 is in winter, 1 is in fall, and 2 are in spring/summer.

I mean "You shouldn't play an outdoor sport in winter when a bunch of your teams are in the midwest" seems pretty easy to follow....

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Lockback posted:

I mean "You shouldn't play an outdoor sport in winter when a bunch of your teams are in the midwest" seems pretty easy to follow....

nfl does it

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Holy poo poo Bob Costas calling Yankee game right now is atrocious all around.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The NFL regular season ends in December. You’d be asking to have a lot more games and exposure to bad weather if the MLS regular season ran in winter from January through early April, if baseball games getting snowed out are any indication.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201712310pit.htm

50,000 people showed up (yes, the NFL reports actual attendance) to this garbage game. I remember because I unfortunately had to be one of them. Single digit temps, the Steelers rested everyone, and the Browns were about to go 0-16. If this was an MLS game between any two teams, how many people do you think would be there?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

ElwoodCuse posted:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201712310pit.htm

50,000 people showed up (yes, the NFL reports actual attendance) to this garbage game. I remember because I unfortunately had to be one of them. Single digit temps, the Steelers rested everyone, and the Browns were about to go 0-16. If this was an MLS game between any two teams, how many people do you think would be there?

It depends on the team. The two American cascadia teams would sell out. If this was Gillette stadium mid season and new england are playing Colorado something on Wednesday night, I can tell you there’d be about 1000 people if you’re lucky. I’ve been to those matches. You can hear and understand the players and staff talking to each other. They don’t have to shout.

Had a great time though. The opposition players can hear you poo poo taking them.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Minnesota just built an outdoor stadium for their team, so that would kinda suck if you moved it to a winter sport (for some reason).

Seriously, February outdoor games would be health hazards.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Gigi Galli posted:

It depends on the team. The two American cascadia teams would sell out. If this was Gillette stadium mid season and new england are playing Colorado something on Wednesday night, I can tell you there’d be about 1000 people if you’re lucky. I’ve been to those matches. You can hear and understand the players and staff talking to each other. They don’t have to shout.

Had a great time though. The opposition players can hear you poo poo taking them.

That’s the hilarious thing for me living in Portland, season tickets are a waitlisted kind of thing, and going to a game is a splurge for my budget.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
you guys make good points but I remind you that MLS has teams in Dallas, Houston, and soon to be Austin who all play outdoors in August

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Don’t forget Miami next year.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mahoning posted:

Don’t forget Miami next year.
Although their stadium is in Ft Lauderdale

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
For reference, most northern European countries like Norway and Sweden run their leagues in the summer to avoid the worst of the winter. The exception to this is, naturally, Russia, who have aligned their schedule to most of Western Europe but just have a three month break between December and February because of course they do

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Fox networks are back on Dish and Sling.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Lockback posted:

Minnesota just built an outdoor stadium for their team, so that would kinda suck if you moved it to a winter sport (for some reason).

Seriously, February outdoor games would be health hazards.

the metrodome has had snow in it before wusses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Edward Mass posted:

Fox networks are back on Dish and Sling.

I watch so little Fox I didn't even notice it was off sling until last night when I was scrolling. I guess it makes sense that this would get resolved before NFL time.