Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Wait yuns used to be heavy? How heavy we talking?
I've been as heavy as 300 lbs at 5'8" (seriously morbidly obese) years and years ago. I was 243 lbs on the day I started BJJ. I cut down to under 200 lbs but let myself drift back up to 237 2 years ago and since then have cut to 140-142 which I've maintained for about a year now. People think 141 is light for 5'8" but when you carry almost no fat 140s can be a pretty good size.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Yuns posted:

I've been as heavy as 300 lbs at 5'8" (seriously morbidly obese) years and years ago. I was 243 lbs on the day I started BJJ. I cut down to under 200 lbs but let myself drift back up to 237 2 years ago and since then have cut to 140-142 which I've maintained for about a year now. People think 141 is light for 5'8" but when you carry almost no fat 140s can be a pretty good size.

gently caress and here I am trying to get back to 160 at 5'8".

Hey Yuns by the way do you know Kurdt George or any of the other guys from the Renzo affiliate in Cape Town? I just got back from a month in South Africa and got a monthly pass there while I was in town and had a really great time training with them. I could only make lunch classes so didn't get any instruction from Kurdt but the brown belt who ran classes was good, and the training partners were really friendly. If anyone is heading to South Africa would recommend checking them out for a dropin, while I was there there were a handful of other guys floating in and out from the US and Europe in addition to a pretty sizeable crew of local regulars.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I don't know the SA guys but if they've been through the blue basement visiting then I'm sure I've met them. I mostly know the US/Canadian/Asian affiliates.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Pretty inspirational. I've been as big as 340, currently in that 285 zone at 5 foot 10. I don't know that I would want to or could get to 140 but I don't need to be 285.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Holy poo poo Yuns.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Yuns posted:

I don't share my workout program much because it's too specific to my insanely short recovery time, lack of need for sleep and fast healing. I lift 7 days a week at 4 am and train BJJ 5 days a week (every weekday morning).

Since August 17th I added running to my routine (midnight to 2 am) and ran an average of 13+ miles a day every day (on top of lifting every day and BJJ 5 times a week) from August 17th to October 2nd. My longest day was 24.5 miles (11 miles in the am and 13.5 miles in the pm). I stopped the cardio experiment on October 2nd. I'll still run on the weekends but all this cardio turned out to be not very productive for me. I'm already in mid single digit body fat (DEXA 5.5%) and so it didn't lean me out or add to my fitness considering all my lifting and BJJ. Other than getting better at running it didn't do much other than eat up a couple of hours a day. Honestly, the running was a waste of time although an interesting experiment.

Lmao this poo poo is like my D1 baseball conditioning schedule jesus christ dude I cant believe you do that for fun and of your own volition. The only reason I did it was to receive a free education.

Now I do jits to enjoy it and weights for the ladies.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
I just don't understand how you got that big when you're wolverine but drat that's impressive

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

old.flv posted:

I just don't understand how you got that big when you're wolverine but drat that's impressive

Efficient metabolism means weight comes on easy? Idk it's pretty bro-sciency but could be related.

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!

quote:

ashi salami

I lol'd.

Garry is super inspirational. It's easy to tell how hard he works and his results speak for themselves. I'm sad I missed his performance at ADCC.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

old.flv posted:

Biglaw life leads to being a fatass unless you actively work to not be.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Does anyone have any videos they really like on hip bump sweeps? I haven't found anything that's made it totally click

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Jeremor posted:

Does anyone have any videos they really like on hip bump sweeps? I haven't found anything that's made it totally click

What videos have you watched and can you describe how you would attempt a hip bump sweep?

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

I've watched a video Ryan Hall did on hip bump into triangle, and it all makes sense but I guess it's just never worked that well for me.
edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6yoaQjv2T4

Most of the guys I roll with are bigger than me, and I don't have the strength to actually knock them over. I have them in my closed guard, drop one knee to the mat, and plant the other foot to drive them. I guess maybe I'm trying to drive them too laterally, and should be going more diagonally at them? I don't really feel like I 'bump' them with my hip, more like I just sort of push them over by trapping their knee.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Jeremor posted:

Ryan Hall has a really good one somewhere.

https://youtu.be/S6yoaQjv2T4

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Ryan Hall has a really good one somewhere.

https://youtu.be/S6yoaQjv2T4

Hah, yep that's the one. It's really good stuff for sure... I guess I was just hoping for something that would give me that "Eureka!" moment and make it all click. My sweeping and submitting skills are really lacking. But, I'm sure I just need to work on it more.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Yuns posted:

I don't share my workout program much because it's too specific to my insanely short recovery time, lack of need for sleep and fast healing. I lift 7 days a week at 4 am and train BJJ 5 days a week (every weekday morning).

Since August 17th I added running to my routine (midnight to 2 am) and ran an average of 13+ miles a day every day (on top of lifting every day and BJJ 5 times a week) from August 17th to October 2nd. My longest day was 24.5 miles (11 miles in the am and 13.5 miles in the pm). I stopped the cardio experiment on October 2nd. I'll still run on the weekends but all this cardio turned out to be not very productive for me. I'm already in mid single digit body fat (DEXA 5.5%) and so it didn't lean me out or add to my fitness considering all my lifting and BJJ. Other than getting better at running it didn't do much other than eat up a couple of hours a day. Honestly, the running was a waste of time although an interesting experiment.

Jesus Christ, if there are new folks reading the thread don't read this post and think that this level of fitness is normal or even possible for most of us. I'm probably the fittest guy at my gym and this routine would grind me to dust in a week.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ihop posted:

Jesus Christ, if there are new folks reading the thread don't read this post and think that this level of fitness is normal or even possible for most of us. I'm probably the fittest guy at my gym and this routine would grind me to dust in a week.

Yuns is also in his 40s.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Jeremor posted:

Most of the guys I roll with are bigger than me, and I don't have the strength to actually knock them over. I have them in my closed guard, drop one knee to the mat, and plant the other foot to drive them. I guess maybe I'm trying to drive them too laterally, and should be going more diagonally at them? I don't really feel like I 'bump' them with my hip, more like I just sort of push them over by trapping their knee.

Maybe check out the Galvao or Giles hip bump videos. In my limited experience with the hip bump sweep, I've found my success really hinges on my ability to elevate my hips high and then actually slam my hip into their arm pit. What are you doing with your arms?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yuns posted:

I don't know the SA guys but if they've been through the blue basement visiting then I'm sure I've met them. I mostly know the US/Canadian/Asian affiliates.

Speaking of Asia...random question but does RGA have an affiliate in Korea? I know there's a Gracie Academy in Seoul and a Nova Uniao somewhere near me in the south but the rest just seems John Frankl affiliates.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

heeebrew posted:

Holy poo poo Yuns.

New thread title

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Mekchu posted:

Speaking of Asia...random question but does RGA have an affiliate in Korea? I know there's a Gracie Academy in Seoul and a Nova Uniao somewhere near me in the south but the rest just seems John Frankl affiliates.
Gun Na is our black belt in Korea. I don't think he operates as an official affiliate but he is a Renzo black belt and he used to train with us with John in the am in NYC.

https://gunbjjhq.modoo.at/
Also
http://www.songdobjj.com/

Yuns fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 5, 2019

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yuns posted:

Gun Na is our black belt in Korea. I don't think he operates as an official affiliate but he is a Renzo black belt and he used to train with us with John in the am in NYC.

https://gunbjjhq.modoo.at/
Also
http://www.songdobjj.com/

Oh he's in Bundang, that's cool. I think he had an affiliate gym in my first town I moved to here but I worked 2 to 10pm classes so I'd miss their training.

I'm thinkjng of moving back up to Seoul area but there's no affiliates part of my current gyms structure. I may check that place out if I do. Bundang is a nice area.

Edit - bit rude to ask but how is his english considering he went to NYC for a bit?

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 5, 2019

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Mekchu posted:

Oh he's in Bundang, that's cool. I think he had an affiliate gym in my first town I moved to here but I worked 2 to 10pm classes so I'd miss their training.

I'm thinkjng of moving back up to Seoul area but there's no affiliates part of my current gyms structure. I may check that place out if I do. Bundang is a nice area.

Edit - bit rude to ask but how is his english considering he went to NYC for a bit?
He understands and speaks English but he's more comfortable in Korean as his English isn't perfect.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
I moved gyms along with moving cities and whoa boy, do I hate "self defense" jiu-jitsu. It's a Royce lineage thing so they cover some in the beginning of all the non-advanced classes. It's everything I hate about about dead training arts except somehow worse because it's in the thing I love.

Gonna keep training here for now because everyone's nice and it's a lot cheaper and easier to get to than the other gyms in my area but I basically just dodge half the classes.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

awkward_turtle posted:

I moved gyms along with moving cities and whoa boy, do I hate "self defense" jiu-jitsu. It's a Royce lineage thing so they cover some in the beginning of all the non-advanced classes. It's everything I hate about about dead training arts except somehow worse because it's in the thing I love.

Gonna keep training here for now because everyone's nice and it's a lot cheaper and easier to get to than the other gyms in my area but I basically just dodge half the classes.

what sort of things do they do? there's a valente brothers gym here that I was going to check out before i saw it looked like a karate class

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yuns posted:

He understands and speaks English but he's more comfortable in Korean as his English isn't perfect.

Makes sense and isn't too uncommon here. My current coach pulls me aside to ask for English names of certain moves and I have to try and find then online. He also asked me to write the English message he was sending to Alexandre Paiva who is coming to Korea next month and that was a little awkward for me too since I had no idea what the context of the message was initially.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
My initial quick write up got eaten. Essentially it's classic "counter wide haymaker and double lapel grab" stuff like you'd see in a 50s movie. Some of it's good, some of it I'm reaaaaaly doubtful of. If the goal is actual self defense there's very little attention given to deescalation, multiple attackers, or weapons.

My first bjj school was a Royce place that switched over some combination of money, drama, and Royce going crazy after the second Royler - Eddie fight. Dude doubled down on the "one true art" type stuff.

I'm personally of the opinion that most of what we do and teach falls under the catagory of "dueling" and not really "self-defense." Two guys having a scuffle on a beach in Rio have certain implicit social codes they have to adhere to. In that situation, I'd rather just have good jiu-jitsu and wrestling, instead of some goofy judo counter.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Jeremor posted:

I've watched a video Ryan Hall did on hip bump into triangle, and it all makes sense but I guess it's just never worked that well for me.
edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6yoaQjv2T4

Its one of my best sweeps. For me, its all in the hips. I can sometimes do the sweep (not perfectly) without caring about my leg position, and without properly controlling uke's arm. Its called the "hip bump" for a reason.

Timing is critical though, and I think this is where people get stuck. If uke is leaning into you, its not the time to hip bump, especially if they're bigger. What I do to set up the sweep is to pull uke down, to break their posture. And when they push away, posture up, and lean back, that's when I follow them up with my hips. When you get the timing right with elevating your hips, the rest of the sweep can be done in super slow motion.

Its best practiced on new guys that lean way too far back when they're in closed guard. If you can't pull off the sweep here, then you're doing something mechanically very wrong and you need to drill it more.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I have a few very good hip bumpers at my club and it's the smooth timing that makes it work, not the force of the collision.

The other interesting bit is that there are two different methods and they both work. One black belt coaches people to bump across, like Ryan Hall does, but the other coaches people to bump up toward the ceiling. The former is better against people who are leaning too far back, but the latter works well against people who are somewhat upright though not necessarily overextending away from you.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

One clarification on the closing of John's class to visitors. The rule is that visitors needs to be precleared so I think I can still get grapplegoons into the class. So come visit NYC!! Odddzy, Mechafunkilla and Dave Grool have all been my guests at Renzo's so they can attest to the fact that I am a real person and not too goony.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 5, 2019

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I'm going to edit Yun's routine into the OP as a "baseline" schedule.

Brown belt by body.
Black belt by mind.

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

Yuns posted:

One clarification on the closing of John's class to visitors. The rule is that visitors needs to be precleared so I think I can still get grapplegoons into the class. So come visit NYC!! Odddzy, Mechafunkilla and Dave Grool have all been my guests at Renzo's so they can attest to the fact that I am a real person and not too goony.

Is it true that Taza was the guy with pink eye that infected everyone? That's the rumor I've heard.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

I still refuse to believe I'm the only LA based grapple goon. Tacos, maybe we can hit up Costa Mesa again soon.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
On the subject of coming to NY, I'll be there next week for a few days for the bjj workshop camp if any goons want to hang around with me.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Whit Belt Diaries - today i got smashed in general at open mat, was worked over and tapped like six times to a blue belt guard player who hit an omoplata(sp?) On me 4x in a row.

I learned a cool sweep from like in side control, to dig butterfly hooks, stretch out their legs and come down on their shoulder to sweep to mount.

We did a legit 15 mins of takedowns and let me tell you gi takedowns are way harder than no-gi. You're just so sticky. I got thrown rear end over teakettle by a former judo guy, hit a few singles myself and my proudest moment was i think a basic outside trip i hit that ive never been actually taught just a friend does it to me all the time. The kid stepped foward and i stepped past his back leg hooked behind his knee and pushed his shoulders back.

Than we did some more open mat and i got destroyed.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I did the thing to a white belt I hated having done to me as a new white belt more than anything. I was rolling with a newish person and just basically flow rolled and let them practice whatever and then did my escapes over and over then I looked over at the clock and saw 15 seconds left.

So I swept them and submitted them so that the bell went off like 1 second after they tapped. I think that makes me a bad person now.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

While we're talking grapplevisits, if any of y'all find yourselves in Costa Rica for any reason, let me know.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

L0cke17 posted:

I did the thing to a white belt I hated having done to me as a new white belt more than anything. I was rolling with a newish person and just basically flow rolled and let them practice whatever and then did my escapes over and over then I looked over at the clock and saw 15 seconds left.

So I swept them and submitted them so that the bell went off like 1 second after they tapped. I think that makes me a bad person now.

If that's bad I don't want to be good.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Two day Imanari seminar next month! It's my birthday present!

:peanut:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
I'm hidden up in the Seattle region. I could maybe head South on those rare occassions.