Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Its called Order of the Baconator
https://www.feastoflegends.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Snowy posted:

I’m being compelled to become a dungeon master after not playing for around 30 years and could use some help.

My nephew in Sweden is 12 and having a hard time in school, he’s just about the only geeky kid in an outdoorsy town and it’s really getting to him. He’s got a budding interest in dungeons and dragons but nobody to play with so my gf and I want to try to play with him via Skype.

The problem is that he’s just learning for the first time, my gf has never played, and the last real game I played was in around 1985.

So are there any especially good resources for noob DMing? I used to listen to a few D&D podcasts so I’m not completely out of the loop but never DM’d myself.

I’m open to websites, books, and especially podcasts I can listen to at work. I have simple goals here, I want to entertain a 12 year old and hopefully guide them through a fun premade scenario, possibly ending up making my own.
I recently DMd for the first time ever, and it was after a 25+ year break from the game in general. It was for a group of 11-12 year olds as well. I learned quite a bit watching this series on YouTube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oIIZJeVGpc. The players are semi-celebrities, almost all noobs, and the DM is good at helping them through their first adventure. Mistakes are made, but no big deal and everyone seems to have a good time. Although one of the players is a cable TV D-lister who is kinda pushy with his team.

Then I went to dms guild and found this free adventure which took just one evening session plus another hour the following morning for my group to finish: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/238921/Death-Pit-of-Moloch--5E-Adventure-for-Beginner-Dungeon-Masters--Players

Sounds like you may eventually want to find a better way than skype to play online, there are some tools for this but I've never used them. I know Fantasy Grounds can be bought on Steam. Good luck!

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Piell posted:

I give a 50% chance they don't get anything.

Either way it's 100% going to be nothing good. Their hate-boner for 4e assures that.

Verisimilidude posted:

In my upcoming campaign, I'm hoping to give players new skills/spells as rewards. I'm taking stuff from 4th edition, so a fighter, for instance, can learn the Reaping Strike ability from a more powerful warrior or by making an intelligence check and learning the move as they see it happen.

I'm very pro "throw 4e poo poo into 5e", but uhhh int checks on a fighter?
The way I'm planning on doing similar is just stealing Matt Colvilles usage of titles and such. Give players neat things based on what they do and what they accomplish.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
wait

there's a deity named Nut?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I don't think I can express just how disappointed I am in that attempt at a "Truenamer".

Twilight is kind of interesting, pity it doesn't get to see through magical darkness earlier, and it only ever gets it for its own limited use Darkness.

Wildfire. Man I was getting my hopes up when I saw it. But it just seems so blah, and the Wildfire Spirit seems so worthless. Which, you know, kind of fits with the "companions" that the last UA Artificer had. Because man that was disappointing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blockhouse posted:

wait

there's a deity named Nut?

Goddess of the sky, she's horny for her brother Geb, the earth.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Glagha posted:

That's the 5e spirit. "What spells do I get as a wizard?" "Ask your DM"

The appropriate answer is to let the Fighter choose all their magic items based on Fighter level.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

is the Wendy’s D&D setting book old news or did this just come out

https://www.feastoflegends.com/?utm_source=instagramstories&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=feastoflegends

why is this the timeline we’re in

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Quidthulhu posted:

https://www.feastoflegends.com/?utm_source=instagramstories&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=feastoflegends

It's not a setting it's a full system. It is bad, both morally and mechanically, but still has a better ability score layout than D&D

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Calling it a full system is generous when most of it is just 5e D&D but renamed slightly.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Quidthulhu posted:

It just came out yesterday. It’s funny to read through but I’ve got no interest in actually playing it. The Tingleverse RPG, however...

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Kaysette posted:

The Tingleverse RPG, however...

I know a few people who legit want to play a game of it, I haven't picked up the book though because I figured it was going to be more or a joke than an actual game.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Blockhouse posted:

I generally don't allow multiclassing without some kind of story justification (not even like a good one I'll accept "I took a year off during downtime to learn how to be really angry" or "the paladin's been teaching me how to stand up fight so now I'm a rogue/fighter") but punishing your players for multiclassing is some old school adversarial GM bullshit

I agree with this approach. I planned for a Paladin 2/(Storm) Sorcerer X and had the fact that it was a nascent element of my character's bloodline in my backstory and discussed the plan with the DM beforehand. So I got struck by lightning when we hit level 3 and it worked out fantastically.

The Tiefling Padlock (evenly leveled between Paladin and Hexblade) had a similar agreement and backstory justification and everything worked out extremely well for the story and the game.

That said, that's the best DM I've ever had when it comes to working backstory into the frontstory so your mileage may vary.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Ryuujin posted:

I don't think I can express just how disappointed I am in that attempt at a "Truenamer".

I'm kind of tempted to lean a into it with a charlatan background; changing the character's name every session and insisting it's always been that name. Like a masked version of TV Lucifer asking names instead of desires.

True name: Gaslighter

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Ryuujin posted:

Twilight is kind of interesting, pity it doesn't get to see through magical darkness earlier, and it only ever gets it for its own limited use Darkness.

Wildfire. Man I was getting my hopes up when I saw it. But it just seems so blah, and the Wildfire Spirit seems so worthless. Which, you know, kind of fits with the "companions" that the last UA Artificer had. Because man that was disappointing.

Can't be any more disappointing than the actual original Truenamer.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Glagha posted:

It's way better than the original truenamer. Cause you get the stuff, and you are a wizard too.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's way better than the original truenamer. Cause you get the stuff, and you are a wizard too.

A 3.5 monk was better than the original truenamer.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
To avoid too much 3.5 stuff, anyone mind PMing me why the truenamer is bad? I've heard stuff (like they get less effective as they level), but nothing with specifics, and I don't want to bog the thread down.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Gharbad the Weak posted:

To avoid too much 3.5 stuff, anyone mind PMing me why the truenamer is bad? I've heard stuff (like they get less effective as they level), but nothing with specifics, and I don't want to bog the thread down.

https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/41343/what-is-wrong-with-the-truenamer

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Without going into too much detail, it required a skill check to use all of their special abilities, based on the level/hit dice of the target (whether they were giving buffs or making attacks, even for themselves). The check DC math was bad and most of the checks were impossible without house rules to fix them. edit: at levels above level 3 or so. It was also technically-possible but un-fun because they failed so often at the non-broken lower levels.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Glagha posted:

I don't know that I would agree. I definitely like the original Truenamer better, and the Goon made Pathfinder "Truenamer". Its just the 3.5 version had certain mechanical flaws. Glaring mechanical flaws.

Of course by bolting this idea onto a Wizard I am already going to be disappointed. As it isn't a Truenamer, it is a few vaguely kind of sorta Truenamer stuff ... bolted onto a Wizard. So it is a Wizard with a few thematic abilities, disappointing abilities but thematic none the less.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Ryuujin posted:

I don't know that I would agree. I definitely like the original Truenamer better, and the Goon made Pathfinder "Truenamer". Its just the 3.5 version had certain mechanical flaws. Glaring mechanical flaws.

Of course by bolting this idea onto a Wizard I am already going to be disappointed. As it isn't a Truenamer, it is a few vaguely kind of sorta Truenamer stuff ... bolted onto a Wizard. So it is a Wizard with a few thematic abilities, disappointing abilities but thematic none the less.

The original Truenamer literally didn't function as a class. It just straight up didn't work. At all. And it was already basically just yet another spellcaster, so essentially just a wizard but you cut his legs off. Now it's a wizard but what can do things.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That said, this version of the truenamer isn't exactly exciting either. I mean, none of the wizard schools really change how you approach the class, but this one basically boils down to "for targets that use language, you can spend a bonus action to make them pass a WIS check, and if they fail your spells are better against them until you run out of resources". The big one IMO being that you can impose disadvantage on them when they make saving throws for spells you cast at them.

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

My game with the flying snake race went well! They wanted to get into it immediately, so I let the druid turn into a flying snake to enter it because it was a oneshot anyway. They really enjoyed the skill challenge and trying to figure out how to apply different things. I loved when they suggested sleight of hand to whack a marker flag into another snake to knock it off course.

They also defeated a hag coven that was poisoning a city, and spared one of the hags and recruited her into the party to teach her to be less evil. It was the hag that thought the halfling was a child and wanted to eat him. Of course it was.

The combat in the last fight got a little bogged down, but they enjoyed themselves and I think it went very well for my first game. :)

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Anybody actually use UA?

I just remember dismissing it as Mearls' bad lunch break articles and stopped after seeing loving prestige classes coming back.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Anybody actually use UA?

I just remember dismissing it as Mearls' bad lunch break articles and stopped after seeing loving prestige classes coming back.

I'm about to play an Aberrant Mind Sorcerer in a game and have an Oath of Heroism Paladin as a back-up. Might also try the astral punch monk and fire druid at some point.

Also anyone not playing the UA version of Ranger at this point is a masochist

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Anybody actually use UA?

Most of them are just ideas for playtesting. Prestige classes did not do well.

Also the people doing the design varies.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I've definitely had a few UA characters show up at the table. They can be fun if they add a meaningful twist.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I'm currently playing a mystic in an online game, and I've been having fun with it.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I am not a big fan of how Artificer gets to do the things a Beastmaster Ranger should do, but better.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Speaking of 3.5. Are there any decent ToB homebrews for 5e out?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kaal posted:

I've definitely had a few UA characters show up at the table. They can be fun if they add a meaningful twist.

I had a lot of fun playing a centaur monk for a few sessions

he could wall-run for 120 feet in one round

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

I had a lot of fun playing a centaur monk for a few sessions

he could wall-run for 120 feet in one round

I bet you could have gone even farther, since Monks can dash and then bonus action Step of the Wind for a second dash. On a Centaur at Level 10 that would be 180 ft per round (210 with Mobile). On an Aarakocra that would be 210 ft of actual flight (240 ft with Mobile).

Of course you'd still want to find a way to incorporate the Equine Build drawbacks in some way. It'd probably come out in the form of more routine difficulty checks for navigating the walls, even though it's mechanically normal movement.

On the topic of speed, it seems that you can top out at between 1680 - 2840 ft / round depending on rules interpretation. Though it takes so many resources and collective action that you would be better off just casting Teleport and calling it infinite ft / round.

https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/58632/what-is-the-fastest-a-character-can-move-in-one-turn

Kaal fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 5, 2019

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Anybody actually use UA?

We have a tranquility monk in one of our side games and it’s working out pretty well.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Is there anything in UA that's actually worse than the ranger they put in the PHB?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nasgate posted:

Is there anything in UA that's actually worse than the ranger they put in the PHB?

Nope, seems better in every way.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Snowy posted:

I’m being compelled to become a dungeon master after not playing for around 30 years and could use some help.

My nephew in Sweden is 12 and having a hard time in school, he’s just about the only geeky kid in an outdoorsy town and it’s really getting to him. He’s got a budding interest in dungeons and dragons but nobody to play with so my gf and I want to try to play with him via Skype.

The problem is that he’s just learning for the first time, my gf has never played, and the last real game I played was in around 1985.

So are there any especially good resources for noob DMing? I used to listen to a few D&D podcasts so I’m not completely out of the loop but never DM’d myself.

I’m open to websites, books, and especially podcasts I can listen to at work. I have simple goals here, I want to entertain a 12 year old and hopefully guide them through a fun premade scenario, possibly ending up making my own.
If you go with roll20, check out the "Beyond 20" addon which lets you have a char sheet in dndbeyond and just click to use your abilities in roll20. It's pretty great, since you can create custom homebrew creatures and if you use the right text format you can launch attacks/spells/saves directly from the roll20 monster sheet, and your players can do the same with theirs. Really cuts down on the bookeeping.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Nope, seems better in every way.

To clarify, I mean all UA. Not just comparing the ua ranger

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

None I can think of off the top of my head, besides maybe the spell-less ranger option? Ranger is not a very good class in 5e.

There are definitely some subclass options in the PHB and XGE that give PHB ranger a run for its money in being bad choices (Berserker, Storm Herald, Four Elements, Assassin, boy I sure am naming a lot of martial options aren’t I?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Gloom Stalker and Horizon Walker revised ranger seem good, idk.