Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
No other suggestions are necessary after Ukraine Clown Posse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Zedlic posted:

Wolves in the Throne Room

Excuse me please do not poo poo on WITTR like this thanks 😤

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

CubanMissile posted:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Booourns posted:

You guys are gonna name every single band that ever existed at this rate

are you sure you want to extend this dare to the thread because The News has been fairly slow and we absolutely will

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

CubanMissile posted:

I think Death Camp for Cute Kids was by far the best/worse one.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Godspeed You! White Emperor

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

I feel like I need to make a will and include a bunch of bullshit like "if a cop murders me I don't want anyone to forgive them and if a Clinton Benghazis me then I still hate all Republicans, don't make any political cartoons of a Democrat standing on my grave"

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Unraveling Wilburies

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Lemming posted:

I feel like I need to make a will and include a bunch of bullshit like "if a cop murders me I don't want anyone to forgive them and if a Clinton Benghazis me then I still hate all Republicans, don't make any political cartoons of a Democrat standing on my grave"

I don't think it'll matter. Vilerat didn't want his mother to use him as a prop if he died and she did exactly that

Run KKK
Old Tantrum (with Mike P)
Lead Paint Chips

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Oct 5, 2019

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Guns N Rubles

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

I genuinely don't believe America can last as a thing, I think we're literally too big and the oppression of capitalism has done so much damage that some form of balkanization is inevitable, both sides seem to agree too considering how they talk about each other, it's really only a matter of 'when' the violent fascists we've been emboldening decide to call the technocratic class' bluff and realize they could clean up as some kind of feudal lord.

Have you listened to the It Can Happen Here podcast? It outlines a very plausible prediction of this exact scenario.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

The Naw Naw Naws

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
Fascist Bumpkins

E: gently caress it.

The White Shites
The Bungle Brothers
Run the Fools

frankenbeans fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Oct 5, 2019

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Republican
Gorillaz Channel
Junkie XXL
Taft Punk
(Oh poo poo, It's) The Police

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

BrandorKP posted:

I know there is a lot of hate for the times, but this one is worth a read.

In the Land of Self-Defeat https://nyti.ms/2IpVNmd
We should honestly just give rural counties exactly what they want - they can opt to pay and receive zero federal tax dollars. In exchange, no residents in the county can vote in federal elections, and their population should be deducted from the state population for census purposes. No representation without taxation.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Butthole Sniffers

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

sexpig by night posted:

I genuinely don't believe America can last as a thing, I think we're literally too big and the oppression of capitalism has done so much damage that some form of balkanization is inevitable, both sides seem to agree too considering how they talk about each other, it's really only a matter of 'when' the violent fascists we've been emboldening decide to call the technocratic class' bluff and realize they could clean up as some kind of feudal lord.
That's what happened to the USSR. Once most people in power don't believe in the system / don't think it benefits them as much as the alternative, they just tear it apart.

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme

Meaty Ore posted:

Adipose Wrecks

Underrated imo

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

nachos posted:

Every single one of those rural voters tripped over themselves to vote for a guy who wanted to spend billions of tax dollars on a useless wall and making the biggest military in the world incrementally bigger. gently caress that article.

Its really just how uneducated and insular those communities are. They are just terrible people. Its why we need to get rid of the electoral college. The fact we give the stupidest people more power is just upsetting.

I have another comment about people like this. During the fight for $15 to raise the minimum wage these people were the ones arguing against raising the minimum wage because they make $15 an hour and they think they have worked for it more and others don't deserve it. Its just closeminded.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

ManBoyChef posted:

I have another comment about people like this. During the fight for $15 to raise the minimum wage these people were the ones arguing against raising the minimum wage because they make $15 an hour and they think they have worked for it more and others don't deserve it. Its just closeminded.

You forgot selfish and hella racist too.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I'm finally catching up after a lot of personal poo poo including death of a loved one, so bear with me y'all

Lol remember when Michelle said our ancestors built the white house and the GOP lost it's collective mind.

Skex posted:

Trump is so damaging to the Republican Party that the coming backlash is going to utterly destroy everything they've done. By the time this mess plays out their brand is going to be as toxic as the Nazis they emulate.

I wish I was as confident about this happening but hey, hope is a good thing and I'm gonna try to hold on to it.

On the other hand..

Maybe becoming a hellish spite lich is the way to go.

Ill Defined Old Cannibals

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Koalas March posted:

I'm finally catching up after a lot of personal poo poo including death of a loved one, so bear with me y'all

That sucks. :( Hope everything is going well.

Also, LOVE the new av.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
something else worth mentioning when it comes to old, rural america is how much federal spending it already sinks, and much of the growth in that spending in the past decade is from a growth in retirement benefits.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 5, 2019

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

That sucks. :( Hope everything is going well.

Also, LOVE the new av.

Thank you, I'm ok, just got hit with a lot in a very short amount of time and I kinda hid in a hole I'm slowly starting to come out of. 😩😩

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Koalas March posted:

Thank you, I'm ok, just got hit with a lot in a very short amount of time and I kinda hid in a hole I'm slowly starting to come out of. 😩😩

You're made of strong stuff, KM, but even strong people need some time to recover sometimes. I'm really glad to see you came out of the hole to talk to us. I'm sorry you've been beat up with life's occasional bullshit lately. Nothing but love for ya.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

I don't know where this is going. Yeah, it's easy to spit on people from rural areas for their actions, and I get it. But I've also worked in these communities. And I've seen these horrific parents bringing in their kids. Kid hasn't done anything wrong, just wasn't born in the right zip code. And then you look at the parents and realize that kid is hosed.

As long as these regions have outsized representation through the senate and house, we can't just look down on them as much as we need to drag them into modernity, kicking and screaming need be. The next democractic president, when they have the power, needs to invest shitzillions of dollars in these areas, and go out of their way to make sure the residents know who did it. Or else the last two people living in these places will vote for each other for senate and we'll be stuck with them.

i don't have a problem with trying to fix it because the kids didn't do anything wrong, but as the article even says, the adults there? they're going to vote trump harder if you try to help them. their kids didn't do anything wrong so you still need to fix the area but the in that article? they're garbage. they're busy making sure everything in their community stays poo poo.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

evilweasel posted:

i don't have a problem with trying to fix it because the kids didn't do anything wrong, but as the article even says, the adults there? they're going to vote trump harder if you try to help them. their kids didn't do anything wrong so you still need to fix the area but the in that article? they're garbage. they're busy making sure everything in their community stays poo poo.

I live in Massachusetts and i am seeing this debate play out in a community near Boston. The town needs new elementary schools and there is a contingent of people who refuse to vote for the project for the following reasons:

*The buildings from the 50s and 60s can clearly just be repaired for cheaper
*Government projects are inherently more costly.
*I build buildings, clearly the town is lying about the cost.
*The design makes no sense and I am bringing this up at the last second because gently caress the public process?
*The town is lying for reasons.

The tax revolts of the 80s are clearly hurting out growth and the contingent of people who eat this poo poo up constantly vote in groups and general voter apathy in local elections hurts towns from modernizing. It's awful.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The only way to beat these people is with turnout and a focusing on health care over everything else from a policy perspective. Health care is why the dems won the house.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Mooseontheloose posted:

The tax revolts of the 80s are clearly hurting out growth and the contingent of people who eat this poo poo up constantly vote in groups and general voter apathy in local elections hurts towns from modernizing. It's awful.

The voter apathy thing I blame solely on our stupid loving tradition of holding votes on Tuesdays as well as local elections being barely advertised. The Tuesday thing made sense back when people left their homes on a Monday dragging their produce to a market that opened Wednesday, but hasn’t made sense since we hit the Industrial Age.

If we were to write a law stating that voting had to occur on a holiday, give a week’s mandatory early voting for those who will undoubtedly be forced to work said holiday, and a mandatory advertising program each city has to run on billboards placed around the town, we’d have much better turn-out.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

coffeetable posted:

something else worth mentioning when it comes to old, rural america is how much of a welfare queen it is, and much of the growth in government spending in the past decade is from a growth in retirement benefits.

Nothing we post here matters so don't take this too harshly, but I really don't like using the right's language against them like this. Poor states should receive more federal funding and rich states should pay out more. That's good and proper. It's super common for people to frame this divide using the right's terminology ("welfare queens" or "freeloaders") and doing so implies that conservative arguments are correct on some level. It's a bad look and it also means that we're always fighting on their turf.

On a more practical level, it leads to a lot of weird and incorrect ideas about how funding and taxation works at a state and federal level. States with 1:1 or better ratios aren't self-sufficient and rely heavily on federal funding and programs, just like every other state in the US.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Wheezer

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I wonder if demographics with % of local populations with children due to GenX being such a small gen is what caused this massive distaste for town spending, and if it will start to swing back as more millennials start having kids.

Im not gonna lie, before i had kids I didn’t even think about the state of our local parks. But when we started using them it was an eye opener how neglected they were.

It is suddenly a major topic in the area, and the local parents orgs seem to have a lot of organizing momentum, so maybe things can start to change.

Edit: as evidence, for the last decade school enrollments in our area had been relatively flat, but suddenly they are getting hit with 6% increases. Of course this has also caused a giant screaming from the boomer gen about how we need to stop building any 2+ bedroom housing since if any more families move in our schools are just gonna collapse.

SpaceCadetBob fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 5, 2019

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

Lots of good stuff

I agree with all of this but especially not trying to repurpose terms like welfare queen which are inherently racist dog whistles.

Ok this might be my favorite one so far lmao

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

VH4Ever posted:

You're made of strong stuff, KM, but even strong people need some time to recover sometimes. I'm really glad to see you came out of the hole to talk to us. I'm sorry you've been beat up with life's occasional bullshit lately. Nothing but love for ya.

Thank you :3:

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Paradoxish posted:

Nothing we post here matters so don't take this too harshly, but I really don't like using the right's language against them like this. Poor states should receive more federal funding and rich states should pay out more. That's good and proper. It's super common for people to frame this divide using the right's terminology ("welfare queens" or "freeloaders") and doing so implies that conservative arguments are correct on some level. It's a bad look and it also means that we're always fighting on their turf.

On a more practical level, it leads to a lot of weird and incorrect ideas about how funding and taxation works at a state and federal level. States with 1:1 or better ratios aren't self-sufficient and rely heavily on federal funding and programs, just like every other state in the US.

From each according to their ability, to each according to their need.

Ripoff posted:

The voter apathy thing I blame solely on our stupid loving tradition of holding votes on Tuesdays as well as local elections being barely advertised. The Tuesday thing made sense back when people left their homes on a Monday dragging their produce to a market that opened Wednesday, but hasn’t made sense since we hit the Industrial Age.

If we were to write a law stating that voting had to occur on a holiday, give a week’s mandatory early voting for those who will undoubtedly be forced to work said holiday, and a mandatory advertising program each city has to run on billboards placed around the town, we’d have much better turn-out.

Compulsory voting :kheldragar:

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

That article doesn't make me sad. That article makes me want to grab my uncle by the scruff and yell at him "This is why none of your kids came back after college! You're all miserable assholes! It's not liberal brainwashing, central PA just ducking sucks!"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Xander77 posted:

That's what happened to the USSR. Once most people in power don't believe in the system / don't think it benefits them as much as the alternative, they just tear it apart.

yea that's what I'm viewing as the model for the eventual collapse here, not a 'proper' Balkanization where we're going from house to house murdering our neighbors (I hope) but more multiple groups with similar interests look at a massive and bloated empire and go 'yea this is...not working, later dudes' and a weakened and ineffective central government just...can't really stop it after an initial 'you can't do that' 'yes I can' 'gently caress' struggle.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

In all the response to that article the one thing I'm not hearing is anyone addressing the permeating fallacy of "government should be run like a business", which seems like the underlying problem it's illustrating.

It's the attitude that austerity is besterity, tight belts are to be applauded, lean times are the norm, and only idiots overspend during fat times. These are people who will identify as libertarians because they hear "I don't need to spend tax money on a fire department because my house is not currently on fire" and purse their lips and nod along. They're people who will react in shock and outrage if you call them a racist but will say it's just common sense that we have to turn away immigrants because for god's sake there isn't enough manna from heaven to feed the people who are here already. Over and over the article makes its point with people alluding to their main issue being a perception that those "other people" are getting government benefits, and it's not about crab mentality for them so much as that they literally think the government doesn't have the money to give out. That the government is being foolish and shortsighted, like a gambler or an alcoholic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnBEYNsSlEE

If the article is accurate in what it's portraying in why Trumpland is Trumpland, then it seems like the way to combat it needs to start with a methodical deconstruction of these fallacies. LIke FizFashizzle said, these are not inherently worse people than anyone else, like they're not genetically inferior or some poo poo, they just were born into a circumstance where the best possible outcome was that they would recognize they were too good for their hometown and move away. I (rightly) took heat last time a subject like this came up and I made a snide HERE COMES THE JOBS TRUCK HONK HONK comment; what else can we expect of people who are no better equipped to dig up out of the hole they're in than an urban millennial with 200K in college debt but in their case they own two acres of unfarmable land and the nearest employer is a Walmart 50 miles away?

Let's address the "government must be run like a business" thing head-on. Starting if we have to by saying if we run government like a business, well, this is what it looks like *gesticulates at Trump looting the economy to enrich himself and his cronies* And furthermore here is why the national debt is not like your home mortgage, and here is what would happen FOR YOU if we taxed billionaires just a tiny bit more.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 5, 2019

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

coffeetable posted:

something else worth mentioning when it comes to old, rural america is how much of a welfare queen it is, and much of the growth in government spending in the past decade is from a growth in retirement benefits.

This is actually a huge issue, that I've had too much exposure to. Rural communities are less productive and more reliant on federal and state aid with each passing year – they've all been wholly hollowed out by the pernicious effects of neoliberalism, and now represent an insane drag on federal and state money. They require loads and loads of cash infusion, and they still largely get it – but the ideology of the white rural voter all but ensures that the money we do spend on these communities in abundance is spent in the least effectual ways possible. These communities can have millions upon millions of dollars in benefits just hurled at them and still be absolute humanitarian disasters because it's filtered through white conservative outrage about spending money on anything, which means that the only projects that get through are white conservative grift or the absolute federal minimums needed to do things like keep agricultural roads passable or keep too many old people of dying in outright squalor or neglect in managed care centers.

This issue doesn't get a lot of attention and I rarely have any opportunity to bring it up but I believe it is actually one of the worst effects, in sum, of contemporary american conservatism. I just don't talk about it that much because I think that it's more or less a lost cause that won't be solved without a major alteration of the American sociopolitical condition. The GOP destroyed rural america across large swaths of the country, with the strength of the destruction remaining suspiciously proportionate to the strength to which conservatives command the state.

As a particular example, you can look at the Colorado / Kansas border. It's a long, straight vertical line the height of Spain, a purely geopolitical conceit that slashes arbitrarily through a long stretch of zillions of acres of ecologically undifferentiated American plains. The difference being that the rural towns on one side are in ok shape and the ones on the other side are falling apart in horrible ways. Colorado's a state that the republicans have essentially permanently lost control of, but Kansas is a place which has been so monopolistically commanded by the GOP that they used it to engage wholesale in their unaltered economic ideology. When you pass into Kansas, it's like night and day, going from a series of rural towns in good or ok shape to a land of complete social and economic collapse. Even Kansas border towns like Kanorado are hollowed out husks full of empty storefronts, as near to being a ghost town as you can get.

They're just basically waiting for most of their inhabitants to die off or move out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
If it weren’t for the stupid rear end Senate we wouldn’t have to give a drat about these regressive hell holes.