Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I stopped eating protein bars once I learned that a lot of them use collagen for their protein which is worthless for muscles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Collapsing Farts posted:

collagen for their protein which is worthless for muscles

what

Couch Life
Aug 20, 2010

Today is my first powerlifting meet and a subtle reminder that I ain’t poo poo when I saw everyone’s openers :(

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

Collapsing Farts posted:

I stopped eating protein bars once I learned that a lot of them use collagen for their protein which is worthless for muscles

where the hell are you getting your protein bars? it's really easy to find ones that use whey at any grocery store or even gas station where I live, you just have to check the ingredients list

collagen has very low BCAA content (BCAAs are the part of protein that triggers muscle protein synthesis)

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I do read the ingredients list and most bars contain milk protein and such but a lot of them have a hidden percentage of collagen or collagen peptides as well. So a bar worth 20 protein can be as little as 15 or 10 protein

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

As long as the ingredient list doesn't have either collagen or gelatin you're fine. Quest, Gatorade, Met-rx, Cliff and Powerbars don't.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Couch Life posted:

Today is my first powerlifting meet and a subtle reminder that I ain’t poo poo when I saw everyone’s openers :(

It's you vs bar, friend.

I have a meet today too. My first time cutting instead of doing supers. Was 0.2kg under. Hell yeah! I'll score like twice as many points in this weight class for team.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

turd in my singlet posted:

collagen has very low BCAA content (BCAAs are the part of protein that triggers muscle protein synthesis)

thought this sounded like some bro science so i went searching and found a review of the literature from 2017 which says the following

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5568273/ posted:

The branched chain amino acids (BCAAs) are leucine, valine and isoleucine. A multi-million dollar industry of nutritional supplements has grown around the concept that dietary supplements of BCAAs alone produce an anabolic response in humans driven by a stimulation of muscle protein synthesis. In this brief review the theoretical and empirical bases for that claim are discussed. Theoretically, the maximal stimulation of muscle protein synthesis in the post-absorptive state in response to BCAAs alone is the difference between muscle protein breakdown and muscle protein synthesis (about 30% greater than synthesis), because the other EAAs required for synthesis of new protein can only be derived from muscle protein breakdown. Realistically, a maximal increase in muscle protein synthesis of 30% is an over-estimate because the obligatory oxidation of EAAs can never be completely suppressed. An extensive search of the literature has revealed no studies in human subjects in which the response of muscle protein synthesis to orally-ingested BCAAs alone was quantified, and only two studies in which the effect of intravenously infused BCAAs alone was assessed. Both of these intravenous infusion studies found that BCAAs decreased muscle protein synthesis as well as protein breakdown, meaning a decrease in muscle protein turnover. The catabolic state in which the rate of muscle protein breakdown exceeded the rate of muscle protein synthesis persisted during BCAA infusion. We conclude that the claim that consumption of dietary BCAAs stimulates muscle protein synthesis or produces an anabolic response in human subjects is unwarranted.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

quote:

For this fundamental reason, a dietary supplement of BCAAs alone cannot support an increased rate of muscle protein synthesis. The availability of the other EAAs will rapidly become rate limiting for accelerated protein synthesis. Consistent with this perspective, the few studies in human subjects have reported decreases, rather than increases, in muscle protein synthesis after intake of BCAAs. We conclude that dietary BCAA supplements alone do not promote muscle anabolism.

They're talking about taking supplemental BCAAs in absence of other EAAs. What turd is talking about is leucine triggering MPS which there is plenty of evidence for. Even if ingesting BCAAs trigger MPS if the body doesn't have anything to work with it's meaningless.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Eat collagen it makes your skin and teeth look great

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

all supplements are a scam

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

just realized I've been using a 20kg bar and just lost a lb on all my lifts

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

bomb posted:

Eat collagen it makes your skin and teeth look great

Don't forget it gives you a mane of shiny hair

(I'm bald)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

nooneofconsequence posted:

No one took your lb measures seriously anyway, don't worry about it. All serious lifting is done in metric.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

nooneofconsequence posted:

Maybe all your 45lb bars are secretly 20kg.

Unless they're comp bars who cares. Get your free pound from the salami gods for lifting.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

But I worked so hard for that 300 bench. Oh well, I fail at everything else in life it only makes sense my personal achievements are a lie.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Hit 305.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

:hmmyes:

I hit a personal best 73kg snatch and 90kg c&j in my meet. After missing the first two snatches.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Guyver posted:

They're talking about taking supplemental BCAAs in absence of other EAAs. What turd is talking about is leucine triggering MPS which there is plenty of evidence for. Even if ingesting BCAAs trigger MPS if the body doesn't have anything to work with it's meaningless.

thing is, unless all you're eating is collagen, you're getting enough bcaa's from other food sources so i'm still not getting why the amino acid make up of collagen is a reason to avoid it

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Also if you lift weights that is by far a bigger stimulus to muscle synthesis compared to eating protein. The main advantage to protein is that you require large amounts of it to build muscle (due to the fact muscle is predominantly protein) and it's beneficial in a cut due to limiting muscle loss/being more satiating, in which case it doesn't really matter what form the protein takes as long as you're getting balanced sources.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

yeah this is a non-issue as long as you eat like normal human bein

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

UnfurledSails posted:

yeah this is a non-issue as long as you eat like normal human bein

Who does, though?

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

If your dog dies from your diet, reconsider

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

my dude I doubt I could even hit 250 these days.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

UnfurledSails posted:

If your dog dies from your diet, reconsider

I eat lots of onions on the regular.... this doesn’t seem like a sound theory.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

LordArgh posted:

thing is, unless all you're eating is collagen, you're getting enough bcaa's from other food sources so i'm still not getting why the amino acid make up of collagen is a reason to avoid it
Because Collapsing Farts is paranoid about poo poo protein bar manufacturers counting it toward total protein in a food. It'd be like if Pork Rinds instead of having that little disclaimer at the bottom saying it's not a source of protein it said 10g a serving. I don't know if they actually do that but I also don't care because I don't buy garbage protein bars.

You questioned someone's paranoid statement, turd told you why they might think that, you cited a study and I told you that study didn't mean what you thought it meant.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Recovering from a headcold and it feels pretty good to just be back in the gym. Barely went near my maxes but even still it was nice to get back into the routine.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone know what Henry Cavil was benching when he made Man of Steel? Dude had mass.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I think I've read some where he had a 305 training max for bench using juggernaut. So 340ish.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Which Hollywood actor do we think took the most gear to get big for a role

My bet is Christian Bale playing batman, with Tom Hardy playing Bane second

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I feel like Ben Affleck for Batman is a contender too. Bale might have him beat because he did The Machinist just a year before and jesus christ he looks like a corpse in that movie. You should watch it it's better than any of the Batman movies.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

What about that fat guy from Parks and Rec? He got pretty buff as Starlord in guardians of the galaxy?

He lost like 60 pounds and gained a lot of muscle as a 35+ dude

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Fartbox posted:

What about that fat guy from Parks and Rec? He got pretty buff as Starlord in guardians of the galaxy?

I dunno, that looks very doable without steroids. Maybe if it was like 6 months or something?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

doverhog posted:

I feel like Ben Affleck for Batman is a contender too. Bale might have him beat because he did The Machinist just a year before and jesus christ he looks like a corpse in that movie. You should watch it it's better than any of the Batman movies.

Wasn't there a story about Bale having to slim down because he'd bulked up too much for Batman Begins? I swear I'd heard that somewhere, but it's still an impressive feat to go from Machinist ghoul to swole Batman

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Fartbox posted:

You can never know. There's nothing about that picture that isn't achievable naturally though. He doesn't even have much mass for a natural in most areas. Bordering on DYEL territory for how lean he is. Except his abs.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I think it's honestly pretty easy if you have hollywood trainers building your workout routine and diet plan.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
batista

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I think it's honestly pretty easy if you have hollywood trainers building your workout routine and diet plan.

The diet and workout is the same you would get from good advice online, there’s no secret methods you don’t know. It’s the paying for someone every single day to make sure you don’t get lazy that works wonders.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
There was a weight cutting guru in MMA a few years ago that some fighters would hire, and it turned out his secret method was that he would literally live with the fighter and only allow them to eat things he prepared so it was impossible cheat on your diet unless you were smuggling candybars with you into the shitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Actors can get ripped easier because they have lots of money for steroids, and lots of time to train which is only useful with steroids because you're not training for hours every day without some chemical assistance in your recovery.

Some legitimately don't know they're on steroids, though.