Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Falcorum posted:

You do realise this is the series (or set of series) where the captain suddenly disappearing from the ship doesn't even register on the computer as something that's important.

Starships run on different rules, Starfleet thinks it's funny for their ship computers to be kind of laissez-faire about the health and welfare of the crew at any given time, but Earth is something else.

Starships are the OSHA thread made manifest, Earth is a theoretical actually good nursery design thread for new parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I can't dispute people's arguments, but I never had much of a problem with Picard's family dying offscreen. I felt like the mundane idea of dying in a housefire in a science fiction show made it all the more tragic.

Plus I vividly remember the shock of seeing Picard cry. That was like seeing your dad cry for the first time.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

davidspackage posted:

I can't dispute people's arguments, but I never had much of a problem with Picard's family dying offscreen. I felt like the mundane idea of dying in a housefire in a science fiction show made it all the more tragic.

Plus I vividly remember the shock of seeing Picard cry. That was like seeing your dad cry for the first time.

Same

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

a lot of poo poo is given to star fleet's extremely lax health and safety procedures but they are the biggest empire in the galaxy*, cannot argue with results

*have not checked would be interested to know if wrong

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Hot (like the inferno which obliterated the Picard family) take incoming:

gently caress 'em. I'm glad those characters died.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

edit: wrong thread, sorry

edit: here is a screen cap of picard's dead brother pulling a funny face

Trying fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Oct 5, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I bet red squad burned down that chateau

Oh wait a minute let's look at the timing here, could that have burned down during the time they shut down all the Earth power. I don't remember if Worf was in the show yet

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Now if the Picard show will have John De Lancie leaning in and whispering "by the way: I... started... the fire." I won't be against it

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I don't remember if Worf was in the show yet

Just how many terrorist acts has that man committed?!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I watched the next two movies, First Contact and Insurrection. I have less thoughts about them than about Generations since I've watched them both fairly recently. First Contact is still pretty good, Insurrection is still boring. I half watched it while playing Link's Awakening.

Troi and Riker getting back together is fun. Picard's romance less so. I very much enjoyed Picard's "get a load of this guy" expression when F. Murray Abraham is being blatantly a bad guy and leaking blood everywhere. These excuses for Worf rejoining them are getting flimsier every time.

After Generations and First Contact felt pretty cinematic this is just a TNG two parter, and not a good one.

Just Nemesis to go now :smithicide:

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

davidspackage posted:

John De Lancie leaning in and whispering "by the way: I... started... the fire."

Oh, OOF!!!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

oh but seriously I posted:

a lot of poo poo is given to star fleet's extremely lax health and safety procedures but they are the biggest empire in the galaxy*, cannot argue with results

*have not checked would be interested to know if wrong

We don't know if it's the biggest. The maps are largely unofficial and 2d also.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

davidspackage posted:

Now if the Picard show will have John De Lancie leaning in and whispering "by the way: I... started... the fire." I won't be against it

Nah, more like, "Picard, remember when you took the Enterprise to that preindustrialized planet to do some undercover surveying? Did you know that Ensign Slattery carries Vegan choriomeningitis? Well, carried, maybe you can't remember all the redshirts under your command who have taken a crossbow bolt to the heart. So the thing is, because we're such good friends and I thought it would be delightful to have you in my debt, I went back to that planet, created an antibody that would fight off the disease your little Typhoid Mary brought that was wracking the planet, and then disintegrated the corpses to avoid any follow-on plagues."

"Q, if you expect me to repay you for a favor that I never asked for and can't verify..."

"No, Picard, I expect you to accept my gratitude at what you've taught me. Duty first and all that. During the middle of cleaning up your mess, I became aware of a fire in a house back on Earth. Three lives were at stake. I could have saved them, but I would have had to have started the antibody insertion over, and even for moi that takes time. Eight more of those peasants would have died.

"Saving eight innocent savages versus three Luddites who refused to buy a fire extinguisher. I couldn't save both. I need you to tell me, as you're the most morally upright creature I know. Jean-Luc, please tell me, did I save the right group of people?"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Where does all this dystopic stuff about Earth being like the hyper nanny state where nobody ever has privacy and big brother is expected to react instantly to someone fall down scrape their knee come from? The way it's described sounds like a sequel to 1984 not Star Trek

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

God that's deliciously twisted. Have you thought about getting a job with CBS?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Bwahaha holy gently caress ahahaha

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Where does all this dystopic stuff about Earth being like the hyper nanny state where nobody ever has privacy and big brother is expected to react instantly to someone fall down scrape their knee come from? The way it's described sounds like a sequel to 1984 not Star Trek

Internet nerds being terrible people

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Tighclops posted:

I think you're just supposed to assume that Starfleet is going to chop the saucer up and carry the bits away after the captain and first officer dramatically beam up out of the wreckage of the bridge

Last year's Ships of the Line calendar actually had an illustration of this.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Write for CBS? How dare you, base varlet! I shall see you at dawn on the morrow by the dueling pond on Holodeck 3 with safeties engaged unless they're all screwed up again because of Geordi. As is customary, neither of us may choose as our second a person who has willingly watched Specter of the Gun more than once willingly. As challenger, I name your two choices of weapon the double-fisted axe hammer punch or the flying jump kick; please have your second relay your choice for us at your soonest convenience.

Q was almost always the best part of TNG. He was the only character (except on occasion Guinan) who could effectively challenge Picard's morality. The first time we see the Borg, for a while the best villains on TNG, it's because Q is puncturing Picard's hubris. Fourteen people died, whines Picard, but none needed to have if he hadn't been such a defiant jackass.

I also like the idea Q specifically is looking at humanity/the Federation as candidates for some sort of limited uplift/psycho cultural development.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

NYCC Discovery trailer confirms lovely broken-down failed federation in the year 3187 setting which our crew have to 'bring hope' to, Kurtzman confirms that this is the canonical future and there is no timeline messing around. Says they have no plans to return to 23rd century at this point. :woop:

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 5, 2019

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

looks like everyone left the federation before it collapsed:

Trill breeding pools/a few actual Trill are shown too!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

No ring

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

MikeJF posted:

NYCC Discovery trailer confirms lovely broken-down failed federation in the year 3187 setting which our crew have to 'bring hope' to, Kurtzman confirms that this is the canonical future and there is no timeline messing around. Says they have no plans to return to 23rd century at this point. :woop:

great

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Iron your loving flag, Vadraysh

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

Iron your loving flag, Vadraysh

Sorry the context is the dude on the right pulls out this old dusty flag and unfurls it, here's the trailer link https://twitter.com/startrekcbs/status/1180540398101393408?s=19

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

:geno: Turns out Michael Burnham is the key to everything. Again. Oh.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Not in the trailer but someone at NYCC said that the future starfleet delta points down instead of up.

You know, so you know it's bad.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Fexit

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I greatly look forward to the next generation of shows just retconning this away.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Powered Descent posted:

:geno: Turns out Michael Burnham is the key to everything. Again. Oh.

I am pretty confused by this news, because isn't spock but dead by then? How spock going to save them?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I suppose if spock was in suspended animation following his takeover of section 31, it's possible…

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

"we need more callbacks"

https://twitter.com/TrekCore/status/1180541242213580800?s=20

"MORE"

https://twitter.com/TrekCore/status/1180543766970736647?s=20

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That's actually just morn. He's got to fight, he needs to find his adopted brother, Spock

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well they're going to the trill pools, probably to hang out with Dax.

Maybe Dax mind-melded with Spock at some point! He can pass on his wisdom!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Spock particles

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MikeJF posted:

Not in the trailer but someone at NYCC said that the future starfleet delta points down instead of up.

You know, so you know it's bad.

That was me, in the Disco thread, making a joke. (No, I'm not at NYCC.)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
What the gently caress

that guy must have a gut full of latinum too, I guess, since that's why Morn was bald

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

That was me, in the Disco thread, making a joke. (No, I'm not at NYCC.)

Ah.

None of what you said sounded out of line with our frexited dark future with an empty federation logo, though, way too close to the Poe's Law line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm into the Fightin' Morns.

They said something about the Trill being important, I wonder if they're going to grab that novel thing of the Conspiracy aliens actually being Evil Trill and run with that. They took Control from the books already so they're willing to raid them for ideas.