Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

I bought that batboy issue off the rack at the grocery store when I was a kid. Hot off the presses. I used to read WWN all the time. I stopped when I realized that other people would read it and think it was true. Not sure how you could think that Bill Clinton had an orgy with aliens and batboy, but people believed that crap. I couldn't, in good conscience, keep buying it. I suppose I contributed to it's demise just by not buying it any more.

It's too bad it's gone. It was a great rag filled with utter nonsense you could read without thinking. Just enjoy "Ed Anger's" column full of hate and spite against the elderly and minorities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

mostlygray posted:

I bought that batboy issue off the rack at the grocery store when I was a kid. Hot off the presses. I used to read WWN all the time. I stopped when I realized that other people would read it and think it was true. Not sure how you could think that Bill Clinton had an orgy with aliens and batboy, but people believed that crap. I couldn't, in good conscience, keep buying it. I suppose I contributed to it's demise just by not buying it any more.

It's too bad it's gone. It was a great rag filled with utter nonsense you could read without thinking. Just enjoy "Ed Anger's" column full of hate and spite against the elderly and minorities.

Wait, so Bill Clinton had an orgy with aliens AND Batboy? At the same time? Like how old was batboy at the time?

Also, Dear Dotti was pretty awesome too.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Were sprite comics more of a '90s or '00s thing?

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

wesleywillis posted:

Also, Dear Dotti was pretty awesome too.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mostlygray posted:

Nah, 9/11 killed it more than anything. It pulled some from the more wtf stories, and it hurt it a lot.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
WWN lives on in Facebook posts and Twitter threads the world 'round.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

THE SECRET INGREDIENT IS: DRAGONS!

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Weekly World News does yet exist, though I’m not sure if a print edition is making a comeback.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Laterite posted:

WWN lives on in Facebook posts and Twitter threads the world 'round.

Yea, Batboy became mayor of NYC and is now doing Crimes for Trump.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Darthemed posted:

Were sprite comics more of a '90s or '00s thing?

Early 2000s. Even if there were others before it, I'd say that sprite comics basically had a hayday when Bob and George started in earnest up through it's end. As someone who was involved in that community and basically watched it rise, have in-fights, crumble, and fall in a few years, it was an interesting run.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

THE SECRET INGREDIENT IS: DRAGONS!

The secret ingredient is always teamwork you complete bufoon. Or is it love?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Randaconda posted:

Nah, 9/11 killed it more than anything. It pulled some from the more wtf stories, and it hurt it a lot.

It was my understanding that old Weekly World News articles were written by actual journalists just making up some poo poo for funsies. Then it got bought out and they replaced the journalists with "comedy" writers, and that just took all the fun out of it.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, Batboy became mayor of NYC and is now doing Crimes for Trump.

Hahahaha! Ow, now my tummy hurts :(.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Crowned posted:

It was my understanding that old Weekly World News articles were written by actual journalists just making up some poo poo for funsies. Then it got bought out and they replaced the journalists with "comedy" writers, and that just took all the fun out of it.

I wouldn't doubt it.

The WWN was incredible in the late 80s through the mid 90s.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

I wanna believe (;)) they prob got a lot of their ideas from the slush pile of local nutters in that case.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ryonguy posted:

I wanna believe (;)) they prob got a lot of their ideas from the slush pile of local nutters in that case.

Believable. The WWN was based in my lovely home state, after all.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

They were, at least at one point, scouring foreign papers and medical journals and etc for weird-but-true news. That plus the outright fabrications made for a heady mix. A couple examples I found a while back:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I always assumed WND was the joke paper, like it wasn't meant to be taken seriously. Like the Onion. It was Inquirer and Examinatior that pretended to have real news and the truth.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The National Enquirer has broken a lot of legit stories somehow

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Randaconda posted:

The National Enquirer has broken a lot of legit stories somehow

I think that was one of those self-fulfilling prophecies: the Enquirer transitioned to being pretty much entirely celebrity gossip, paparazzi photos, etc., and so people who wanted to leak a legit story involving capital-F Famous People knew the Enquirer was the place to do it.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Nothing worse than accidentally sending an 8 instead of a 5 to your crush

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Suddenly that L337 Speak thing from the early 2000s makes sense. :thunk:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That mostly came from people using BBSes trying to avoid The Man reading their posts.

They'll never be able to ctrl-F me as long as I spell it \/\/33|>!

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Can someone please explain how 187 means 'I hate you' because every explanation I can come up with has failed me

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loPofqh8aGo

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Killingyouguy! posted:

Can someone please explain how 187 means 'I hate you' because every explanation I can come up with has failed me

Cuz white people. Little billy cant be talking about murder, oh no.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Here you go.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Killingyouguy! posted:

1 looks like an I
8 rhymes with hate

I got nothing on the 7

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

RagnarokAngel posted:

1 looks like an I
8 rhymes with hate

I got nothing on the 7

- 7 (or "Se7en" or "Seven") is a film starring Brad Pitt.
- Brad Pitt was in "Sleepers" with Kevin Bacon.
- Kevin Bacon was in "The Woodsman" with David Alan Grier.
- David Alan Grier was in "Stuart Little" with Julia Sweeney.
- Julia Sweeney played the character of Pat on Saturday Night Live.
- "Pat" speaks the intro to Ugly Kid Joe's song "Everything About You"

And so we have:

1 = I
8 = Hate
7 = Everything About You

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

jojoinnit posted:

I only left 55318008 every time I paged someone.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

jojoinnit posted:

Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

Trabant posted:

- 7 (or "Se7en" or "Seven") is a film starring Brad Pitt.
- Brad Pitt was in "Sleepers" with Kevin Bacon.
- Kevin Bacon was in "The Woodsman" with David Alan Grier.
- David Alan Grier was in "Stuart Little" with Julia Sweeney.
- Julia Sweeney played the character of Pat on Saturday Night Live.
- "Pat" speaks the intro to Ugly Kid Joe's song "Everything About You"

And so we have:

1 = I
8 = Hate
7 = Everything About You

That's all well and good, but why do I love you?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Because 789

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

90s internet owned

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Very true

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I didn’t know people were denying that anyone referred to it as the PSX. What the hell?

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

I called it PSex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

I didn’t know people were denying that anyone referred to it as the PSX. What the hell?

Might have been kids who grew up on PS2 games when it was a brand new system and got used to everyone saying “PS1”.