Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I'm not familiar with the actual mechanics being used to get custom songs into beatsaber on quest. Is it just flying too close to the copyright sun ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BMan posted:

lol it's happening

so much for facebook not locking down the quest

Their VR social platform coming soon is probably the reason. I doubt they want people to be able to look in the skinner box after all.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

mashed_penguin posted:

I'm not familiar with the actual mechanics being used to get custom songs into beatsaber on quest. Is it just flying too close to the copyright sun ?
That's the reason why the Beat Saber guys keep the modders at arm's length, because its hard to sell licensed music while also doing anything more than implicitly supporting an in game music piracy service. IDK what Oculus is doing

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So is this update on the Quest side of things already applied? USB debugging is no longer available and unknown sources no longer show up so I can't open Sidequest to connect . I figured I might as well remove BeatOn and do custom songs the other way but I may not even be able to do that?

EDIT: needed to go back and re-enable developer mode on the oculus app.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 5, 2019

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So is this update on the Quest side of things already applied? USB debugging is no longer available and unknown sources no longer show up so I can't open Sidequest to connect . I figured I might as well remove BeatOn and do custom songs the other way but I may not even be able to do that?

EDIT: needed to go back and re-enable developer mode on the oculus app.

What’s the other way? Reddit acts like I’m SOL if I update.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

eddiewalker posted:

Dang I guess I can’t update Beatsaber on Quest for a while.

https://reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/dddjb9/beaton_support_ending_illicit_mods_are_now/

BeatOn, custom songs and mods are dead per the updated TOS.

quote:

With the new oculus policy any game mods that aren’t explicitly supported by the game developers are also not allowed.

Lol fuuuuuck that

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Apparently I can't uninstall my modded Beat Saber on my Quest now. This is some bullshit.

I remember people saying Facebook wouldn't pull any janky poo poo with side-loading a month ago. How's that working out?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RandomBlue posted:

Apparently I can't uninstall my modded Beat Saber on my Quest now. This is some bullshit.

I remember people saying Facebook wouldn't pull any janky poo poo with side-loading a month ago. How's that working out?

It wasn't a hard thing to guess; Facebook fundamentally wants metadata and to not get their hand caught in the cookie jar harvesting it again. A nice closed system benefits them far more greatly than an open one to this end and a simple TOS change sweeps it all under the rug by looking like they're just covering their bases for piracy or unacceptable mod content. The real surprise for me is they're pulling something like this so soon, I figured they'd ride out a year or two on goodwill to pump up sales before starting to lock things down.

Leal posted:

E: Really hoping they don't turn around on the implied compatibility for Steam VR when the link comes out :ohdear:

SteamVR's a fairly safe bet because there's presumably a standardized API for Oculus headsets it has to contend with in how it connects and plays games. Plus it makes the device a much more valuable purchase anyway. If the Rift S had come out of Oculus labs maybe they'd have somehow locked it to the Oculus storefront to put some separation between them, but with things as-is they really don't have to give a poo poo about overlap.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It wasn't a hard thing to guess; Facebook fundamentally wants metadata and to not get their hand caught in the cookie jar harvesting it again. A nice closed system benefits them far more greatly than an open one to this end and a simple TOS change sweeps it all under the rug by looking like they're just covering their bases for piracy or unacceptable mod content. The real surprise for me is they're pulling something like this so soon, I figured they'd ride out a year or two on goodwill to pump up sales before starting to lock things down.

SteamVR's a fairly safe bet because there's presumably a standardized API for Oculus headsets it has to contend with in how it connects and plays games. Plus it makes the device a much more valuable purchase anyway. If the Rift S had come out of Oculus labs maybe they'd have somehow locked it to the Oculus storefront to put some separation between them, but with things as-is they really don't have to give a poo poo about overlap.

I recall you being one of the main Facebook apologists claiming they wouldn't lock down sideloading, but maybe I have you confused with someone else.

It seemed pretty obvious to many of us at the time when Facebook made Virtual Desktop remove their PCVR streaming capabilities. (from the store version of the app)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RandomBlue posted:

I recall you being one of the main Facebook apologists claiming they wouldn't lock down sideloading, but maybe I have you confused with someone else.

It seemed pretty obvious to many of us at the time when Facebook made Virtual Desktop remove their PCVR streaming capabilities. (from the store version of the app)

Definitely not me :v:. But yeah, Facebook haven't been subtle about it, even in their presentations and interviews.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

mashed_penguin posted:

It's flagrant copyright violation, but it's in everyone's best interests if quick and easy custom song loading remain available, because if they aren't, then very very quickly quick and easy piracy is going to be rampant, and that piracy ain't gonna stay limited to just Beat Saber.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Beat Saber custom song mods were always a ticking time bomb, flying under the radar because VR was still so small. The bigger it gets the sooner notoriously legal happy record companies will take notice of people downloading all these songs for some game. I don't know how anyone is shocked oculus wants to stay away from putting themselves in any legal cross hairs. They have the TOS now to say "yep, we told people not to, we're not facilitating any copyright infringement" if the RIAA comes knocking, and Beat Games needs to try and stay squeaky because they're dependent on staying in the record industry's good graces if they ever want to sell more music packs.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Didn't they announce custom song loading and a level editor for the game?

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Rocksmith basically plays deaf and blind to a very robust custom song community, and they sell a fuckton of DLC.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I think they should let people use custom songs, but, also, try to sell at least one single actual good song as dlc

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

My $.02: hold your horses people. This isn't the first time a company / product has a 'strong' or draconian ToS, but lots of times it's there just in case, it's another thing to actually enforce it. As I say, lots of companies don't really enforce their own ToS, because it isn't practical, or popular.

When they start blocking accounts because of sideloading we can say the sky is falling.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

RandomBlue posted:

neddy is one of the few people making GBS threads on facebook in here while a bunch keep licking zucc boot lol

e: ^^^^ lmao case in point. when your account gets banned it's already too late

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no, Facebook turned out to be the bad guys? Who could ever have seen this coming? :geno:

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I don’t know if it’s the beat saber mods that triggered the choice. It might be the people pirating the titles. Some of the m even spoofed the apps so it shows up as something else in the menu.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

KillHour posted:

Oh no, Facebook turned out to be the bad guys? Who could ever have seen this coming? :geno:

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

My $.02: hold your horses people. This isn't the first time a company / product has a 'strong' or draconian ToS, but lots of times it's there just in case, it's another thing to actually enforce it. As I say, lots of companies don't really enforce their own ToS, because it isn't practical, or popular.

When they start blocking accounts because of sideloading we can say the sky is falling.

The maintainer of the main Quest BeatSaber mod has stopped updating it because of this policy, so even if you don't believe Oculus will follow through on bans the policy has still had concrete effects for people.

Mostly this just seems like bad news for Beat Games; since they still haven't put in their own song creation tools this is just another opportunity for a free app to come in and snatch their market from under them. Ironically a sideloaded SuperSaber-like that links songs from Youtube rather than downloading them doesn't seem like it would fall foul of Oculus' ToS at all.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

eddiewalker posted:

What’s the other way? Reddit acts like I’m SOL if I update.

Yeah turns out there really isn't any other way? I found a way to reinstall BeatOn for now until another way shows up.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

rafikki posted:

The second Vader episode is short as hell, but the new stuff in the dojo owns
I really respect the lengths the developers go through to not have a single character that needs lip syncing.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I already have beat saber on psvr and I was thinking about double dipping because of the custom songs so... I guess I'm saving $30

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Professor Wayne posted:

I really respect the lengths the developers go through to not have a single character that needs lip syncing.

LOL I can't believe I didn't notice this before you pointed it out.. It's like Lefield keeping all feet out of frame.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Guess they need to rename that hack to BeatOff. :shepface:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Something to keep in mind is that modding the Quest isn't a major draw for the average non-tech-savvy user. The primary drive of it is "It just works", after all. Disabling modding isn't really going to upset anyone that matters to Facebook in the long run, because all they fundamentally care is;

A: People use their VR platforms.

B: People are using Facebook Horizon as much as possible.

Anything else is expendable, and exclusive games are just the tempters to get them in the door. I mean, Facebook Horizons is free and you probably have a Facebook account already... why not give it a go?...

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Feelin mighty fine with my Rift S w/ auto-updates turned off

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Hey Index havers, here's a 3D printed gun foregrip attachment I made

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3898004

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Welp, I guess now we wait for the collective rage of the internet to crack the quest wide open and enable people to tell Facebook to gently caress off forever.

It is android after all.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Something to keep in mind is that modding the Quest isn't a major draw for the average non-tech-savvy user.

Pretty much. The non nerds I know with quests could give a heck about custom songs.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tom Guycot posted:

Beat Saber custom song mods were always a ticking time bomb, flying under the radar because VR was still so small. The bigger it gets the sooner notoriously legal happy record companies will take notice of people downloading all these songs for some game. I don't know how anyone is shocked oculus wants to stay away from putting themselves in any legal cross hairs. They have the TOS now to say "yep, we told people not to, we're not facilitating any copyright infringement" if the RIAA comes knocking, and Beat Games needs to try and stay squeaky because they're dependent on staying in the record industry's good graces if they ever want to sell more music packs.

Stepmania has been doing it for like 20 years and nobody even knows they exist :shrug:

Clitch posted:

Rocksmith basically plays deaf and blind to a very robust custom song community, and they sell a fuckton of DLC.

Also Rocksmith yeah, and they're commercial unlike Stepmania

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

I've tried out your home run game a few times. It's fun.

I get this issue quite often where it will bug out after about 5 minutes of use. The screen glitches and then I only see a flat screen of the frozen game in front of me with black everywhere else (like the 3d has glitched out). I can't do anything, but usually the music keeps playing. I have to reset my headset, because the music keeps playing even if I cancel out of the game.

Is that a common issue or do I have a buggy headset?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

RandomBlue posted:

People that did that were loving idiots. Facebook has someone's best interest in mind, and it isn't the user. And anyway, pretty much every bigco doesn't like people loving around with their stuff. It's like people getting upset about Apple preventing jailbreaks.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Something to keep in mind is that modding the Quest isn't a major draw for the average non-tech-savvy user.
Like none of the Quest owners will run for every single bullshit to their favorite tech support person. Ever.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 5, 2019

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

They aren't actually shutting down sideloading though right?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

mashed_penguin posted:

I don't know how they would. There has to be a way to push APKs to consumer hardware to test before uploading to oculus for larger scale testing.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

mashed_penguin posted:

No, in fact they opened up side loading even if you don't have developer mode turned on. They just updated their TOS to warn against pirating games and modding games sold on their store that aren't approved. So sidequest is fine, and anything you want to load from there, or 'mods' like the virtual desktop PC streaming you have to sideload are fine because its approved by the developer.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Stepmania has been doing it for like 20 years and nobody even knows they exist :shrug:

Well as someone who downloaded from them, I remember the stepmania torrent sites that hosted huge archives of songs did get shutdown.

Combat Pretzel posted:

People that did that were loving idiots. Facebook has someone's best interest in mind, and it isn't the user. And anyway, pretty much every bigco doesn't like people loving around with their stuff. It's like people getting upset about Apple preventing jailbreaks.
Nowadays power users are virtually never catered to, in any product, especially not software, unless the software is otherwise targeted to them. I don't think modding was ever messaged as something other than "entirely unsupported" on Quest.

Also, lol if you didn't expect a company building an app store on an Android based platform to retread the anti-piracy steps that the company that built /the app store/ on /the Android platform/ took. This policy only seems to apply to people who enable developer mode, which means it'll cover 1) developers, 2) modders, and 3) pirates. #2 seems like the collateral damage from #3 which sucks. But IMO piracy is more likely to get the attention since it has a $ value and modding doesn't (or if not neutral then it has a vague, hazy positive effect). Otherwise, I don't personally see any indication that the ability to sideload is impacted other than the "btw if you abuse developer mode then we reserve the right to do...things" bit.

Not to trivialize that – I do kind of see how this seems to hurt a popular feature of a popular game, potentially a lot. It also ups the ante on black hats at grey hats' expense with regards to hacking the Quest (especially because of the ambiguity). However, if it's not done, it may hurt many developers a lot more if piracy gets a major foothold too early, so...

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Raged posted:

Feelin mighty fine with my Rift S w/ auto-updates turned off

If you have the Steam version I feel like the change will never affect you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

EbolaIvory posted:

I don't know how they would. There has to be a way to push APKs to consumer hardware to test before uploading to oculus for larger scale testing.

Since it requires an account and central permissions they could introduce a charge for it, like Apple do for iOS. A fee of $100 a year wouldn't kill personal sideloading but it would discourage it, especially for people who only want it so they can skip paying $30 for Beat Saber.