Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Kale posted:

I don't get it man, why don't Trump, Giuliani and Graham shut up just for like one day. They're kind of the 3 you can always count on to have terrible loving opinions and excuses for just about everything under the sun and in the news that day. I mean there's plenty of other high profile shitlord Trump people like Pompeo, Barr and Stephen Miller but they aren't in the news just absolutely constantly saying mind blowingly stupid and petty poo poo in the middle of yet another scandal situation. What is it with those 3 in particular? Even Dan Crenshaw who just loves to bleat off about the usual Trump Good/Dems Bad talking points hasn't weighed in much that I've been aware of.

I don't even think it's necessarily this threads slight bias for posting right wing hot takes fresh from twitter and laughing at them......Trump, Giuliani and Graham in particular really just do not shut up ever in giving their unsolicited opinions. They all remind me so incredibly much of your standard internet trolls general behavior patterns it's sad. As in the kind of waste of life that spends literally every waking minute shitposting in favored haunts and going out of their way to lie, slander and just make a shitshow of every situation through sheer volume and awfulness of their "input".

Trump and Giuliani have certain mental conditions. In Trump's case he is a narcissist. He will say anything, do anything to bring attention to himself, good or bad. Attention is his personal drug. Attention gives him identity, because as a narcissist, he doesn't have a personal identity and that is an ever-present, existential form of dread to have no idea who you are. Like having a gaping maw where your personality should be, or maybe a black hole, because he tries to suck as much attention as he can inside of it. But it will never be satisfied. He can hunger for more and more attention. He can only infer who he is from how people respond to him. And then only roughly. His goal in manipulating people is to craft a certain kind of identity for himself that he can enjoy which will push away the dread for a time.

In Giuliani's case, about two decades ago he took a particularly nasty spill at a party and developed a traumatic brain injury. Or at least that's the theory. His personality has been like we witness every day ever since. His brain is broken. You'll see personality changes fairly often in people who have TBI and those personality changes can be radical shifts. Often day and night in terms of contrast.

My guess for Graham is that he's either severely compromised or just a fascist bootlicker. Probably both. Nothing about his brain is particularly broken beyond the tongue bathing he gives to Trump. Most likely he's been sucked into that bubble that successful fascists surround themselves with where loyalty is paramount over anything else, including morality and competence.

So why can't they shut up? Well, Trump is incapable of doing so due to his narcissism. Giuliani has a broken brain in a different way. Graham has been sucked into Trump's bubble where his success depends on performative displays of loyalty to the narcissist/fascist. And a performance requires an audience, meaning as many people as possible. This includes Giuliani, because he reflects what Trump wants to hear. That they're doing crimes and that none of you can do anything about it. Violating law and tradition is a powerful drug for the narcissist. Hell, anyone really, but them especially.

The people who are staying quiet are people who have not been completely sucked into Trump's fascist bubble. They may be in their own and probably are, though whether they're unaware of it and are true believers in this or that strain of arch conservatism or if they're aware of it and are craven opportunists depends from person to person.

Edit: Llama tax.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
A double whammy of gutting Roe v Wade and the economy taking a plunge next year would be nuts.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Ogmius815 posted:

I wonder to what extent the GOP actually understands the extent to which the reversal of Roe is going to be a “oops I caught the car” moment for them. I’m not sure they do at all.

I mean the next step is eliminating birth control and removing EEOC complaints.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Data Graham posted:

In all the response to that article the one thing I'm not hearing is anyone addressing the permeating fallacy of "government should be run like a business", which seems like the underlying problem it's illustrating.

It's the attitude that austerity is besterity, tight belts are to be applauded, lean times are the norm, and only idiots overspend during fat times. These are people who will identify as libertarians because they hear "I don't need to spend tax money on a fire department because my house is not currently on fire" and purse their lips and nod along. They're people who will react in shock and outrage if you call them a racist but will say it's just common sense that we have to turn away immigrants because for god's sake there isn't enough manna from heaven to feed the people who are here already. Over and over the article makes its point with people alluding to their main issue being a perception that those "other people" are getting government benefits, and it's not about crab mentality for them so much as that they literally think the government doesn't have the money to give out. That the government is being foolish and shortsighted, like a gambler or an alcoholic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnBEYNsSlEE

If the article is accurate in what it's portraying in why Trumpland is Trumpland, then it seems like the way to combat it needs to start with a methodical deconstruction of these fallacies. LIke FizFashizzle said, these are not inherently worse people than anyone else, like they're not genetically inferior or some poo poo, they just were born into a circumstance where the best possible outcome was that they would recognize they were too good for their hometown and move away. I (rightly) took heat last time a subject like this came up and I made a snide HERE COMES THE JOBS TRUCK HONK HONK comment; what else can we expect of people who are no better equipped to dig up out of the hole they're in than an urban millennial with 200K in college debt but in their case they own two acres of unfarmable land and the nearest employer is a Walmart 50 miles away?

Let's address the "government must be run like a business" thing head-on. Starting if we have to by saying if we run government like a business, well, this is what it looks like *gesticulates at Trump looting the economy to enrich himself and his cronies* And furthermore here is why the national debt is not like your home mortgage, and here is what would happen FOR YOU if we taxed billionaires just a tiny bit more.

Thanks for this, i forget how entirely alien my mindset is to solving the problem because I have seen how other countries are handling tax and infrastructure spending, and how theres no shortage of funding under their methods.

I would suggest that this political ideology that rural people have adopted is akin to Steve Jobs attitude toward cancer. We know real solutions, we can save them, but there isnt some sort of weird naturalist trick which will actually solve the problem without addressing it.

Tuff Scrote
Apr 23, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

A double whammy of gutting Roe v Wade and the economy taking a plunge next year would be nuts.

He's literally aborting the economy

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

It's no longer a perfect phone call? Ooof, it's not great to see him give up on himself like that.

Data Graham posted:

It'll be fun to hear how the Utah Mormons square all that up

The political landscape in Utah, in general, seems pretty fascinating but hard to break into. I'm still doing my best, though!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

probably 2020, it sounds like the GOP is also running on killing obamacare again too lol.

"We'll get it right this time! We promise!"

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Ogmius815 posted:

I wonder to what extent the GOP actually understands the extent to which the reversal of Roe is going to be a “oops I caught the car” moment for them. I’m not sure they do at all.

There's always an undercurrent of things like "ban birth control, ban divorce, or ban premarital cohabitation," so the really hard core will have something to do, even if it takes everybody else twenty years to get up to speed.

Then again I'm not a great person to ask. I see banning birth control and banning divorce and the rest as close to the same thing when it comes to having agency over your own life and body, so I may be needlessly worried.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Throwing Turtles posted:

There's always an undercurrent of things like "ban birth control, ban divorce, or ban premarital cohabitation," so the really hard core will have something to do, even if it takes everybody else twenty years to get up to speed.

Then again I'm not a great person to ask. I see banning birth control and banning divorce and the rest as close to the same thing when it comes to having agency over your own life and body, so I may be needlessly worried.

These are the same kind of people who watch The Handmaid’s Tale and don’t realize story is about the inevitable fall of Gilead.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Called it. They’re gonna go with the ‘Do you trust me or your own lying eyes?’ defense. It’s going to work on way too many people.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dammerung posted:

It's no longer a perfect phone call? Ooof, it's not great to see him give up on himself like that.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1180482408522629120

no it still is.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Both things are true. It's a horrible hit job and a hoax made up by Schiff, and also it was entirely legal and good as reported in the transcript.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
Sort of like the Mueller report being full of lies and fully exonerating.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

I guess that checks out, then.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dammerung posted:

I guess that checks out, then.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1180532150053085185

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1180521871223246848

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1180521871223246848

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Data Graham posted:

It'll be fun to hear how the Utah Mormons square all that up
When you start to get confused because of thoughts in your head,
Don't feel those feelings!
Hold them in instead

Turn it off, like a light switch
just go click!
It's a cool little Mormon trick!
We do it all the time
When your feeling certain feels that just don't feel right
Treat those pesky feelings like a reading light
and turn em off,
Like a light switch just go bap!
Really whats so hard about that?
Turn it off! (Turn it off!)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

1. Whatever the BibleTrump says is right.
2. If something in the BibleTrump appears to be a contradiction, see #1.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/SteveKingIA/status/1180530416945643521

let them fight.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1180541637132521472?s=19

ShuckyDucky
Jun 19, 2008

Quack Quack
https://dailycaller.com/2019/10/03/tucker-and-patel-truth-about-impeachment/

Tucker Freaking Carlson posted:

Donald Trump should not have been on the phone with a foreign head of state encouraging another country to investigate his political opponent, Joe Biden. Some Republicans are trying, but there’s no way to spin this as a good idea.

Ultimately, Tuckers shrugs it off as no big deal - let the election sort it out, but it's an odd bit of daylight betweet the president and one of his staunchest defenders.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

nine-gear crow posted:

Too White Crew

Run GOP

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/LiveAction/status/1180521023265001474

Sorry for this tweet source, could not find another with the quote.

Yes, because throughout the history of women bearing children, the thought of terminating the pregnancy only showed up after Roe v Wade.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Ice Phisherman posted:

Edit: Llama tax.

This llama is oddly Steve Buscemi-like to me

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

ShuckyDucky posted:

https://dailycaller.com/2019/10/03/tucker-and-patel-truth-about-impeachment/

Ultimately, Tuckers shrugs it off as no big deal - let the election sort it out, but it's an odd bit of daylight betweet the president and one of his staunchest defenders.

Its because there is currently a civil war at Fox on how to handle this and talking points arent set in stone yet.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

what is the white house message at this point? it seems to change every 10 min. i feel like a few of them have the sorta "better" idea of "admit trump hosed up but denigh impeachment" but trumps ego can't handle that so its back to just saying trump is perfect.

volts5000 posted:

Yes, because throughout the history of women bearing children, the thought of terminating the pregnancy only showed up after Roe v Wade.

its a mix of "punish the whores" and "out sight out of mind".

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what is the white house message at this point? it seems to change every 10 min. i feel like a few of them have the sorta "better" idea of "admit trump hosed up but denigh impeachment" but trumps ego can't handle that so its back to just saying trump is perfect.
Right-wing media's biggest problem right now is that saying anything, literally anything about this scandal will contradict something Trump has said about it at some point. The only way for them to not challenge Dear Leader is to remain silent.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Shifty Pony posted:

There's also the "Baptists do not recognize each other in the liquor store" effect. They will metaphorically pick up their check one day then go to the town hall to scream about the people who get checks the next.

It doesn't help that the "stoic rugged individualism" narrative conservative media pushes it fundamentally incompatible with living. Even in the most rural of areas you will need the help of your neighbors, but everyone has been brainwashed into thinking that's a shameful thing.

Laura Ingalls Wilder and her pedophile daughter did a hell of a lot of damage to the American psyche. Little House on the Prairie is perhaps the single most influential bit of white supremacist propaganda floating around in American storytelling.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Right-wing media's biggest problem right now is that saying anything, literally anything about this scandal will contradict something Trump has said about it at some point. The only way for them to not challenge Dear Leader is to remain silent.

yeah and thats never gonna happen.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Dapper_Swindler posted:

There really isn't one. What we're currently seeing is the rhetorical equivalent of grasping at straws.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its a mix of "punish the whores" and "out sight out of mind".

The one thing that will prevent a unified message on this is Trump himself. There's enough Republicans out there with enough respect for the law (or something resembling respect) to say that Trump at the very least did something wrong. But Donald Trump has never done anything wrong or made even the slightest of mistakes in his entire life. Just ask him. And he has the loudest megaphone right now.

If I were the GOP I'd be all in with the "he was wrong but impeachment is too far" angle. And if Trump came out today and said "I was wrong. I shouldn't have done that re Ukraine or China" he'd take a lot of wind out of Democrats sails. But we know he'd die before admitting fault.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

The one thing that will prevent a unified message on this is Trump himself. There's enough Republicans out there with enough respect for the law (or something resembling respect) to say that Trump at the very least did something wrong. But Donald Trump has never done anything wrong or made even the slightest of mistakes in his entire life. Just ask him. And he has the loudest megaphone right now.

If I were the GOP I'd be all in with the "he was wrong but impeachment is too far" angle. And if Trump came out today and said "I was wrong. I shouldn't have done that re Ukraine or China" he'd take a lot of wind out of Democrats sails. But we know he'd die before admitting fault.

yep. i mean he is attacking romney for going that route. he legit can't admit a gently caress up to save himself because he is a broken person. i feel like he is gonna end up forcing the GOP to turn on him at this way.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

What, does Kellyanne need to back to her crypt for a week?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Prester Jane posted:

Laura Ingalls Wilder and her pedophile daughter did a hell of a lot of damage to the American psyche. Little House on the Prairie is perhaps the single most influential bit of white supremacist propaganda floating around in American storytelling.

It is impressive. The cowboy mythology here in Texas is a very similar case of idolizing an incredibly poo poo life.

You know what happened to most of the settlers that lived the life these people imagined, who turned away all charity and instead stood unyielding and faced down their troubles? The lucky ones got marked graves.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
How long until the defense will just be Trump saying "actually I'm not being impeached at all, we're impeaching the Democrats"?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yep. i mean he is attacking romney for going that route. he legit can't admit a gently caress up to save himself because he is a broken person. i feel like he is gonna end up forcing the GOP to turn on him at this way.

Even if he'd just shut the gently caress up about it and let the Republicans say he was wrong and he just fucks off to golf or whatever, he'd be ok. Then Reps could say "Well Obama did x wrong and we didn't impeach HIM". But again, Trump can't keep his God drat mouth shut and it's glorious.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/YonhapNews/status/1180541850072993792

This stupid drat administration can't do anything right

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Push El Burrito posted:

How long until the defense will just be Trump saying "actually I'm not being impeached at all, we're impeaching the Democrats"?

I mean this is pretty much what he is doing calling for Schiff to resign, be investigated, locked up for treason, etc. He also said Pelosi was no longer Speaker of the House anymore at one point.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cherry Poppin Daddies

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Willo567 posted:

https://twitter.com/rachelminyoung1/status/1180541566328262656

seems NK basicaly just demanded everything for nothing.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Can they realistically turn on him? Consider how much water they have carried for him at this point, and how many of them already changed their opinions from him as disaster to him as a blameless savior. (Eg, Senator Graham.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Willo567 posted:

:lol:

The least surprising thing ever