Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dammerung posted:

Can they realistically turn on him? Consider how much water they have carried for him at this point, and how many of them already changed their opinions from him as disaster to him as a blameless savior. (Eg, Senator Graham.)

if they think he will gently caress them more than his base will, they might. i have no idea how things will turn out, especially because stuff keeps escalating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Dapper_Swindler posted:

if they think he will gently caress them more than his base will, they might. i have no idea how things will turn out, especially because stuff keeps escalating.

It just seems to me like either situation ends with their destruction. They need Trump to succeed, because they've been saying that he will for such a long time in the face of all contrary evidence. Perhaps the only winning move is to, like many Republicans in Congress have already done, resign with some dignity and hope that somebody will find some sort of solution in the future.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Dammerung posted:

Can they realistically turn on him? Consider how much water they have carried for him at this point, and how many of them already changed their opinions from him as disaster to him as a blameless savior. (Eg, Senator Graham.)

They don't seem to want to but it is extremely stupid of them not to. Like the same way he was a huge joke up until he wasn't, if Graham/etc. are all just like "I had a crisis of conscious and...." or whatevers and turn on him even most of his base will no longer be on his side in a couple of months because what they want most is to win and be associated with a winner. They can put anyone they want at the top and as long as they put out a message of "this guy's basically a classy Trump" and his base will get the message that the GOP is still going to be the white supremacist party but with a more cordial face again.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1180551689818050562

Donald Trump still thinks it's 2016

Kale
May 14, 2010

King of Foolians posted:

He didn’t give a gently caress that the president of Finland was there.
Trump also apparently “didn’t give a drat” about the missile North Korea launched a few days ago.
Hopefully nothing major in international news will happen in the next several months while the entire US government is busy falling apart.

Yeah really

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Those crafty Do-Nothing Democrats have somehow invented time travel! TIMELINE HARRASSMENT! DO SOMETHING!
:beck:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Remember how for like eight months after he won Trump himself/Fox News/etc. was all about how crooked Hillary rigged the election and evil democrats rigged the election and WE REALLY FOUND HER EMAILS FOR REAL THIS TIME FOR REAL GUYS REALLY because that's clearly what they had prepared in advance from the minute Clinton and Trump both own the primaries.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dammerung posted:

It just seems to me like either situation ends with their destruction. They need Trump to succeed, because they've been saying that he will for such a long time in the face of all contrary evidence. Perhaps the only winning move is to, like many Republicans in Congress have already done, resign with some dignity and hope that somebody will find some sort of solution in the future.

yeah, like i said, they either take their poo poo show now or in 2020, because at this rate, trumps probably hosed either way.

i like how he legit thinks he can flip that narrative but he can't because it doesn't work on too many levels, at least for appeal outside the chud base.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Shifty Pony posted:

It is impressive. The cowboy mythology here in Texas is a very similar case of idolizing an incredibly poo poo life.

You know what happened to most of the settlers that lived the life these people imagined, who turned away all charity and instead stood unyielding and faced down their troubles? The lucky ones got marked graves.

The trick to understanding the mindset of the early settlers is to recognize that they were basically the Bitcoin miners of their day- and that goes doubly so for Laura Ingalls Wilders' (selfish, lovely) parents. Her father and mother had both been raised in the city and had no practical agricultural experience- but at the time the government was encouraging people to settle the land Westward and the railroads were selling what amounted to farm starter kits. The average settler moving out was like Laura Ingalls Wilder's family, no practical agricultural experience, no frontier experience- they had purchased the equivalent of an Ikea kit to start their own 5-acre rural Farm and set off for the wilderness.

In the case of Laura Ingalls Wilder's family, there is not a single year of their lives where they ever worked on a succesful Farm. Despite the farm being depicted as successful and abundant in the television series, in reality the family was constantly being saved with food gifts from their and they were always working odd jobs in town to make extra money to support the farm.( in point of fact it was desperation for money to keep the farm afloat that prompted Laura Ingalls Wilder to write her young adult novels) Her family was constantly moving in and out of the city as the various Farms they worked inevitably failed, and the one fun they had that was going kind of well they got driven off of because their father had stolen the land from natives in such a brazen manner that even the local Army fort wouldn't support his claim. ( also complicated by her father's refusal to pay the various taxes he owed to the US government)

All of this gets even more bizarre if you dive into the life of the person who was instrumental in getting Laura Ingalls Wilder's published- her daughter. Her daughter was a blatant pedophile who repeatedly groomed her victims and tried to get them elected into political office. (Her daughter's political beliefs would also, not coincidentally, be right in line with the modern libertarian ethos.)

When you watch Little House on the Prairie keep in mind that the reason it's only white people walking around is because only 10 years earlier the US Government had genocided the native population in the area. Also, the land they were on was incapable of supporting English-style farming (rainfall is too inconsistent) and all those failed/abandoned Farms were a major cause of the Dust Bowl.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Neo Rasa posted:

They don't seem to want to but it is extremely stupid of them not to. Like the same way he was a huge joke up until he wasn't, if Graham/etc. are all just like "I had a crisis of conscious and...." or whatevers and turn on him even most of his base will no longer be on his side in a couple of months because what they want most is to win and be associated with a winner. They can put anyone they want at the top and as long as they put out a message of "this guy's basically a classy Trump" and his base will get the message that the GOP is still going to be the white supremacist party but with a more cordial face again.

I guess there's a certain appeal to riding the tiger. It really does seem like, at least from where I am sitting, that the only real winners, in this case, were the people who got out while the going was still relatively good. In terms of personal careers, I'm not sure if there was any other "winning" move. In terms of the future of the party, I agree that tying themselves to Trump will destroy them in the future, but at this point, I don't know what they might be able to do to try to rehabilitate themselves.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, like i said, they either take their poo poo show now or in 2020, because at this rate, trumps probably hosed either way.

Probably 2020. They have to do everything they can to make it seem like somebody else's fault, after all! :v:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Push El Burrito posted:

How long until the defense will just be Trump saying "actually I'm not being impeached at all, we're impeaching the Democrats"?

Hes kinda already tried this depending on how you parse his word salad.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Do you think Rudy will defend himself in court? Can he?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

seems NK basicaly just demanded everything for nothing.

Which is what they have continuously done and why previous administrations haven't had any luck making progress. Then this one decided to ignore what everyone else has done and had to learn all the lessons over again from square one.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Anal Cunts

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Does interfering in the 2020 election just mean participating in the 2020 election? Cause that seems to dumb to say but he just fired the Speaker of the House and demanded Adam Schiff's resignation so.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1180559858699030529?s=21

Get hosed mittens

Edit: actually it would be good if he suffers no electoral consequences for even his milquetoast rebuff of trump.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Those Do Nothing Democrats sure are doing a lot of things, huh?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Jealous Cow posted:

Get hosed mittens

Edit: actually it would be good if he suffers no electoral consequences for even his milquetoast rebuff of trump.

This is equal parts hilarious and scary lmao, rules that our president is totally insane.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1180484483147059200

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1180560592119222273

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Jealous Cow posted:

Get hosed mittens

Somehow I don't think he's telling the truth here.

I don't have any specifics on hand but Utah like Romney waaaay more than it likes Trump.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Clearly Trump didn’t see that article by Flake talking about how Trump could be removed

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Republicans turned on Nixon once they were sure he'd cost them re-election. But those were probably smarter Republicans than any currently holding office

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Retro42 posted:

I don't have any specifics on hand but Utah like Romney waaaay more than it likes Trump.

Yeah, Evan McMullin got 22% there. Basically Trump got 45% and Not Trump got 49%.

And even more people would be voting Not Trump today, Mitt's doing the right thing to appeal to his base.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jealous Cow posted:

Get hosed mittens

Lol, he's actually trying to do a "no puppet, you're the puppet" on impeachment :cawg:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I really hope Mitt doesn’t back down.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Mitt isn't up for reelection so this isn't really a big deal for him no matter what.

ShuckyDucky
Jun 19, 2008

Quack Quack
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1180564696979648513

he's really on a roll right now

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Retro42 posted:

We do. Heck, I don't even like Romney that much myself, but this has the potential to be a crossing the rubicon moment.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I really hope Mitt doesn’t back down.

If he doesn't back down, he'll be seen as a hero. I can almost guarantee that.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
The removal of Senators is not an impeachment process, just a simple removal vote by their one chamber of Congress.

I did it, I found an error in a Donald Trump tweet.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Hillary Clinton isn’t currently the President you braindead shitface.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I like that Saladino keeps trying to suck up to him on each and every twitter post. Keep trying, I'm sure Trump will care about you personally and help you advance in the party like he did Graham.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1180525310523187201

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I like that Saladino keeps trying to suck up to him on each and every twitter post. Keep trying, I'm sure Trump will care about you personally and help you advance in the party like he did Graham.

Having looked at the positions on his site, he doesn't seem to have anything else to offer aside from his fealty to President Trump. I'd go into more details about his espoused positions, but there isn't much to them and I don't think most people here would be too interested.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

He still thinks they made hard copies of the e-mails and literally washed them in acid... :negative: this loving boomer

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Naturally, the 2018 election didn't happen. All these Democrats just came out of nowhere!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

fox cargo culting is a fascinating development. all these people being as brazenly in the tank for Republican orthodoxy as the dark-money paid hacks, and discovering that without a bankroller it's not quite the route to success it seems

there are success stories! there's Diamond and Silk, there's Candace Owens, there was (briefly) Milo, and of course there was Donald Trump, but it's a hard road out there if you don't start off with a sugar daddy.

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Well yeah, he found a kindred spirit who also likes piss. He's having a hard time bringing that up himself, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
One can hope that making GBS threads on Romney with little to no effect will show that Trump is a toothless loser with waning influence.

Wishful thinking of course