Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
the tholians became powerful after they decided to model their civilization after mission logs recorded by spock, nd they are looking for spock. one might even say, searching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

They said something about the Trill being important, I wonder if they're going to grab that novel thing of the Conspiracy aliens actually being Evil Trill and run with that. They took Control from the books already so they're willing to raid them for ideas.

My guess will be that thousand year old trills who've been around the entire life of the Federation are the only ones who can accurately tell them what actually went wrong with the Federation.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Pick posted:

That's actually just morn. He's got to fight, he needs to find his adopted brother, Spock

This but unironically, considering that Morn was described as having a full head of hair that only fell out due to latinum poisoning.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They should really not be doing the ‘this is an actual future’ thing

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

MikeJF posted:

My guess will be that thousand year old trills who've been around the entire life of the Federation are the only ones who can accurately tell them what actually went wrong with the Federation.

lack of spock :shrug:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MikeJF posted:

Also makes sense, but Evil Trill Conspiracy seems more in Disco's wheelhouse.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Yeah that seems like the most likely answer

You know we will probably run into either Future Dax or the Dax symbiont

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MikeJF posted:

Ah.

None of what you said sounded out of line with our frexited dark future with an empty federation logo, though, way too close to the Poe's Law line.

Yeah, I was just aping the style of the tweet, but I guess in our post-parody world, it can be hard to be sure of anything. :)

For reference:

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The Disco S3 trailer is airing literally right now at NYCC:
https://twitter.com/TrekCore/status/1180530202822221824?s=20

Powered Descent posted:

Tellarites eating popsicles. A starship with two saucers. Tilly playing water polo. Starfleet arrowhead now has point down(!!!)

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah that seems like the most likely answer

You know we will probably run into either Future Dax or the Dax symbiont

Due to billion-to-one bad luck and just as rare a :techno: miracle, Dax was the first Trill permanently reimplanted in a non-host creature, a certain Mr. :spock:

Bonus points if because of neural conflicts between Trill and Vulcan neurology Tilly has to control Spock's body with the remote control from Spock's brain

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

^^^^ Also my reaction face to all the Discovery news.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

is that a cardassian too

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
https://twitter.com/startrekcbs/status/1180551332228321280?s=20

Riker cookin’ up his famous omelettes again :riker:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Do they... think the stars on the flag represent the member planets? There were over 100 members in TNG and the flag ain't got 100+ stars.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Do they... think the stars on the flag represent the member planets? There were over 100 members in TNG and the flag ain't got 100+ stars.

Look the stars on the US flag are states and the Federation is clearly Future Space America so they must be planets.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FySrgrKJguE

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

I should rewatch Andromeda.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Look the stars on the US flag are states and the Federation is clearly Future Space America so they must be planets.

I looked again, there's more stars than I remember but still not nearly enough.

Also the concluding sentence on Ex Astris is good. "But in spite of everything we may just not be supposed to observe so closely as in this article." Tagline for the entire site there, dude.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Looks like a new Short Trek is out now, with Spock and Number 1 (the lady, not the dog).

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

MikeJF posted:

This actually tracks well considering Burnham is, as always, the center of attention and the trailer shows her floating in a Trill pool

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
It still kind of hurts to hear how tired PatStew sounds.

Riker and Troi got me giddy again. I kind of suspect we'll be spending a lot more time than expected with the new characters, but whatevs.

edit: if it's blocked for you as well:

https://twitter.com/SirPatStew/status/1180551476604805121?s=19

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 5, 2019

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

ugh

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Discovery season three preview looked fun, I think being in the future will help a lot. Really weird choice to set the show when they did. I'm curious how their thousand year old spaceship and tech will fare in this future.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The expanse trailer was quite good, I'm excited for some science fiction

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mythicknight posted:

gently caress, that's exactly what this is isn't it. Minus Kevin Sorbo jesus'ing it up.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Earth is the most technologically developed and integrated and monitored planet in the Alpha Quadrant.

Hell, look at it this way:

Fire deaths have been trending downward for some years now. In the US, the rate has declined steadily over the last 40 years and if it continues as-is, "fire" as a cause of death will be functionally eliminated by 2050.

Western Europe is running a slower decline, but still making substantial improvements. The French should reach eliminated status by the mid-2060s.

You don't even really need some sort of magical space technology. Just marginally better than what we already have. Or probably just more smoke detectors and fire extinguishers in private homes.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I'm sure there was an aside in one of the Culture novels about people who, despite living in a hyper-advanced society overseen by near-omnipotent AIs, deliberately went out mountain climbing or whatever without their equivalent of phones just so they could say they lived dangerously every once in a while. (As opposed to joining Contact or Special Circumstances because, y'know, they didn't want to live too dangerously.)

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

mythicknight posted:

Ugh. I tried that a few months ago and I only made it as far as the third episode. It was full of annoying kids and its does not hold up in the slightest.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
One thing that always stood out to me about Andromeda is how incredibly bad the background music was, like we're talking low grade MIDI trumpets that sounded fake and bad even for the late 90s.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I made it to the end of the first season but not even Lexa Doig could get me to continue.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I made it to the end of the first season but not even Lexa Doig could get me to continue.

And that was the good season.

It gets progressively worse as it goes on as Kevin Sorbo takes it over to make it Christian Hercules lite, and completely off the rails by the final season.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Payndz posted:

I'm sure there was an aside in one of the Culture novels about people who, despite living in a hyper-advanced society overseen by near-omnipotent AIs, deliberately went out mountain climbing or whatever without their equivalent of phones just so they could say they lived dangerously every once in a while. (As opposed to joining Contact or Special Circumstances because, y'know, they didn't want to live too dangerously.)

Masaq' orbital, the setting for Look to Windward, was known for its dangerous sports and being home to daredevils. Also one of the highest rates of mind-state backup in the Culture as a result of such behavior, so most people never died permanently, although some chose to live as One-Offs and risk their death.

Sash! posted:

Fire deaths have been trending downward for some years now. In the US, the rate has declined steadily over the last 40 years and if it continues as-is, "fire" as a cause of death will be functionally eliminated by 2050.

Western Europe is running a slower decline, but still making substantial improvements. The French should reach eliminated status by the mid-2060s.

You don't even really need some sort of magical space technology. Just marginally better than what we already have. Or probably just more smoke detectors and fire extinguishers in private homes.

And if you consider what magical space tech they do have, you don't need a premise of always-on scanning and monitoring like 1984, just a basic little standalone detector in the house that can pick up a fire and hail emergency services. And within a millisecond of knowing there's a problem and the full force of Federation tech and transporters focused on the emergency, everyone inside would be safe barring some kind of exotic energy disaster.

Considering it's illegal not to have smoke detectors in homes here now, I'd imagine that living in a home without a simple safety sensor would be illegal then and quite frankly child endangerment if you have a kid like Renee Picard.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 5, 2019

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Edit: Nevermind. Too much negativity.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Grand Fromage posted:

MikeJF posted:

But it’s almost always been presented this way? The larger stars are founding worlds (Earth, Vulcan, Tellar etc), the smaller stars are members. The new flag lines up with the “worlds have been leaving the Federation by the dozens, including Andoria and Vulcan” leak.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I don't think they've ever claimed the smaller ones are members. It didn't change for over a century as the Federation expanded.

The large pointed stars being the founders was kinda a fanon theory but that never made sense since there are three stars and at least four founders (Earth, Vulcan, Tellar, Andoria)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 5, 2019

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

They also never claimed the big stars are the founders either, since there are three big stars and four founders. There was some discussion of the stars being Earth, Vulcan, and Qo'Nos when they were considering the Klingons being Federation members for TNG but that was obviously dropped.

The number of background stars is also wildly inconsistent over the dozens of versions of the logo.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
The idea of an old school Warbird from the rubble of the Romulan Empire showing up is pretty cool, although I hope that's not the final CGI pass.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

EDIT: never mind

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 5, 2019

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Sash! posted:

I get that, and Robert being a massive technophobe is why it's even possible, at all, that it could have happened in the Chalet Picard. It's just...I mean, Earth in TNG days is basically magical space utopia, it's surrounded by satellites and starships and sensor nets, it's the seat of the Federation's government, as well as Starfleet's, and it prides itself on being Paradise, where no one wants, or fears, or suffers, or dies in a house fire.

Yes, I get that it was (if you give the writers of Generations the benefit of the doubt, given that it obviously got the short end of the writing stick between it and All Good Things) supposed to be extra tragic and ironic that this could happen on Earth, but...you have to throw away 24th century emergency medicine, emergency transporters, Earth being surrounded in sensors, all of it, and it just...they should have just had it be a random transport craft crashing into them and crushing them beyond repair as Robert and his son were at a school festival or something, or some other unpreventable freak occurrence, rather than something that is so preventable and catch-able.

I mean, I don't even get mad over this! I don't exactly sit in a room and stew about it, or even think about it unless other people bring it up. I don't post on any trek sites other than this (and the GBS) thread, and never have. It just...it's...dumb...and that's what gets me. Clearly, I'm kind of dumb, too, to let it get to me this much, I'll fully cop to that fact, but still.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The fire was just to destroy the bodies after Picards nephew said he wanted to join Starfleet and so his father murder suicided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

They also never claimed the big stars are the founders either, since there are three big stars and four founders. There was some discussion of the stars being Earth, Vulcan, and Qo'Nos when they were considering the Klingons being Federation members for TNG but that was obviously dropped.

The number of background stars is also wildly inconsistent over the dozens of versions of the logo.
In Enterprise, there is a point where Daniels tells Archer that in the 27th century or something the Klingons join the UFP