Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Android Blues posted:

I get the former thing, and Sabretooth is absolutely very evil, but I still feel like these (generally heroic) characters should display at least a moment's compunction about running a kangaroo court and/or handing down prison sentences without fixed term. Instead it feels very brushed aside - they all agree instantly.

Again, if you want to read an adventure comic where people debate morality for 12 issues while sitting around a table, that's your choice. But there's practical reasons why that's not done, just like there should have been practical reasons to have this play out via text pages.

Android Blues posted:

And the: "well, he's super evil, so it's okay" thing doesn't really figure up for Jean/Ororo/Kurt's motivation when they're sitting across the table from Shaw, Apocalypse, and Sinister, two of whom are probably worse than Sabretooth.

I don't think it takes much to understand the difference between what Sabretooth is and what the other bad guys at the table are:

They explained the presence and need for Shaw in the previous issue. whether you buy that rationale is a different issue, but it's literally there in the text.
Apocalypse- again, in the text of this story- is held in line by the fact that Xavier is DOING WHAT HE ALWAYS WANTED. He's a mutant supramacist and that's exactly the side that Xavier finally comes down on. Again, in this issue's text, Xavier tells the world as such. Apocalypse no longer has a need to be "evil" (basically a hard-right, genocidal mutant fascist) because he can get to his goal via Krakoa.
Sinister is less easily explained, but he is critical to the resurrection system and probably used that as leverage.

It's not hard to explain every "bad" guy on the council in terms like these. Or even a majority of them that are on Krakoa.

Sabretooth, though, doesn't have any particular mutant-advancement beliefs that justify his actions. He just likes killing. So even in a society protective of their own kind, the occasional psychopathic serial killer is probably looked down upon compared to the zealous terrorist with a cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Apocalypse isn't just a mutant supremacist, though. He's more hardcore than that: he wants to kill most mutants, too, until only the "strongest" remain. There's no place for mutants like Beak, or Glob, or Shark Girl in his vision of the future - they'd be exterminated along with the humans. He's not even particularly partisan to mutants (he's used non-mutants as his Horsemen before if they had some power or ability that made them particularly remarkable) - he just thinks mutants are the most viable genetic avenue for achieving his goals.

Dude is like an ultra-eugenicist who only respects survival of the fittest. He doesn't want to extend a hand of fellowship to all mutants, like Magneto does: he wants to protect the cream of the crop, those with the most impressive mutations, and genocide the rest. His goals line up with Krakoa's very superficially as of yet, although it's certainly bad news that he's involved with its lawmaking process.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

On that note, I’ve never seen Exodus in a cartoon or comic before. What’s his deal?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I hope they address the decimation sometime. I'd like those kids on the bus back.

And Wallflower should be able to come back even without repowering, if Synch and Skin can.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Android Blues posted:

Apocalypse isn't just a mutant supremacist, though. He's more hardcore than that: he wants to kill most mutants, too, until only the "strongest" remain. There's no place for mutants like Beak, or Glob, or Shark Girl in his vision of the future - they'd be exterminated along with the humans. He's not even particularly partisan to mutants (he's used non-mutants as his Horsemen before if they had some power or ability that made them particularly remarkable) - he just thinks mutants are the most viable genetic avenue for achieving his goals.

Dude is like an ultra-eugenicist who only respects survival of the fittest. He doesn't want to extend a hand of fellowship to all mutants, like Magneto does: he wants to protect the cream of the crop, those with the most impressive mutations, and genocide the rest. His goals line up with Krakoa's very superficially as of yet, although it's certainly bad news that he's involved with its lawmaking process.

If your ethos is entirely based on survival of the fittest, it gets broken by a bunch of immortal superpeople. They are, by default, the survivors and therefore the fittest.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Billzasilver posted:

On that note, I’ve never seen Exodus in a cartoon or comic before. What’s his deal?
He's a mid-90s creation with vague powers that showed up as an apostle of Magneto.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Billzasilver posted:

This is from memory but Exodus is a French dude from crusade era. He was friends with Black Knight of that era. He was trapped in stasis. Magneto freed him and he became Magneto’s number two guy. That made his previous number two, Fabian Cortez mad. He led the acolytes when Xavier mind wiped Magneto. He is pretty powerful and fought off the Avengers and X-men of the time together singlehandedly, till he was beat (maybe on the Astral plane?) by Xavier. I think somehow current Black Knight helped Xavier.

Edit: also he was listed as an omega level in telekinesis in HOX 1. But like said above in the 90s very vague power set. Could basically do anything.

Fritzler fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 4, 2019

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

For all we know Apocalypse got a vision of Moira's lives too, and knows his way didn't work either. Making sure someone knows with absolute certainty that their way of doing things leads to their death and the genocide of their people would be a pretty solid way to get someone to reevaluate their priorities.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Weird poo poo. Was Exodus part of the Asteroid M thing in the cartoon show? Or was that just Fabian Cortez still

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fritzler posted:

This is from memory but Exodus is a French dude from crusade era. He was friends with Black Knight of that era. He was trapped in stasis. Magneto freed him and he became Magneto’s number two guy. That made his previous number two, Fabian Cortez mad. He led the acolytes when Xavier mind wiped Magneto. He is pretty powerful and fought off the Avengers and X-men of the time together singlehandedly, till he was beat (maybe on the Astral plane?) by Xavier. I think somehow current Black Knight helped Xavier.

Edit: also he was listed as an omega level in telekinesis in HOX 1. But like said above in the 90s very vague power set. Could basically do anything.

Exodus was peak 'super powerful 90's mutant' which meant your eyes glowed, you had power blasts and could mostly do whatever you wanted.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Billzasilver posted:

My unfairly irritating moment: having never seen a tv/etc adaptation of Exodus, I have no idea what he's supposed to sound like. French accent? But he's thousands of years old, isn't he? I still basically read everyone in their cartoon voices, and you're fuckin right that includes The Rocks Of The Eternal Shore himself.

One more issue. And though I have no problem with this being basically an extended prologue to a bunch of other books (especially as X-Men is at least being written by the same person!) I am expecting at least one real good "holky gently caress" moment. Xavier's face, What Really Happened To Sabretooth, Something About Moira VI... I don't care. But I will be disappointed if nothing in the next issue makes me say "god drat" out loud while I read it.

And on another note, I can't remember if this is the thread where I mentioned wanting a Stupid X-Men Webcomic with a rotating cast, but how good would a Cheers parody called Bar Sinister be.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Diet Poison posted:

Cheers parody called Bar Sinister be.

Where everyone knows your name (because you all have the same name because you're all clones of the same person)!

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

wielder posted:

I think each type of story has its own purpose and House of X/Powers of X is not an exception. The point of Hickman's Avengers run was that everything could go wrong in the face of a universe-ending threat...and it did. Tony, Steve and almost everyone else made a bunch of terrible mistakes. That all led to pure chaos and the new Secret Wars. Conversely, his Fantastic Four run had a (comparatively) far more optimistic tone, by the end, so it's not like everything Hickman writes will lead to as bleak or depressing of an outcome as his Avengers run.

So far, we're still in the honeymoon phase of this whole Xavier/Magneto/Moira effort. Things are going great and these wins for the mutants all seem to be a little too perfect. You could even consider it to be an intentionally creepy honeymoon, given some of the hints and foreshadowing, since it's inevitable that the Krakoa plan isn't going to keep going smoothly forever.

I think the Avengers run, if you consider that the outcome is the end of Secret Wars, then it's incredibly optimistic. Everything is resurrected because selfish, egotistical men who believed they were more concerned with being better than everyone else and at each other's throats realized the need for sacrificing their self-importance. You know, letting go of old, stale ideals to make room for a younger, different generation and bigger, better, and possibly drastically different things and an infinite number of worlds where all sorts of things are possible.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Diet Poison posted:

My unfairly irritating moment: having never seen a tv/etc adaptation of Exodus, I have no idea what he's supposed to sound like. French accent? But he's thousands of years old, isn't he? I still basically read everyone in their cartoon voices, and you're fuckin right that includes The Rocks Of The Eternal Shore himself.
I want to see how much he hates Fantomex, Gambit and maybe Northstar. Just want to see a terrible conversation between all 4.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

danbanana posted:

Where everyone knows your name (because you all have the same name because you're all clones of the same person)!

Where everyone knows your DNA.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Fritzler posted:

I want to see how much he hates Fantomex, Gambit and maybe Northstar. Just want to see a terrible conversation between all 4.

I would love to see what Northstar is up to.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Open Marriage Night posted:

Where everyone knows your DNA.

What's even best is his Cheer's opening sequence was done over this Victorian artwork of a pub. Which is in keeping with Mr. Sinister's Victorian aesthetics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS0VQOHX7lM

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Wave 2 of the X books is being announced Saturday, including Exiles with Sabertooth.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Cloks posted:

Exiles with Sabertooth.

Oh that's clever.

Also, told ya' the depths of Krakoa wasn't a prison!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Fritzler posted:

He eventually got a little bit more defined. His only natural ability was a mass teleport with a very large range. At some point in the past Apocolypse got his hands on him and souped him up with celestial tech. That’s how Exodus got his extreme telepathy, TK and healing factor.

^^^^Its could be AoA Sabretooth who’s been a Exiles regular since the start.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Exile, by Exiles

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Cloks posted:

Wave 2 of the X books is being announced Saturday, including Exiles with Sabertooth.

Oh, this is interesting.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
My main concern about Wave 2 is that they might have too many ongoing titles, but realistically speaking...I am expecting a few of these to end up as 12 or 24 issue series, at most.

Strange Poon posted:

I think the Avengers run, if you consider that the outcome is the end of Secret Wars, then it's incredibly optimistic. Everything is resurrected because selfish, egotistical men who believed they were more concerned with being better than everyone else and at each other's throats realized the need for sacrificing their self-importance. You know, letting go of old, stale ideals to make room for a younger, different generation and bigger, better, and possibly drastically different things and an infinite number of worlds where all sorts of things are possible.

Oh, sure. I can agree with that. I was mainly thinking about the extended period immediately before what you're describing, but this is valid as a take on the ultimate conclusion of the story.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

What is the source of this Wave 2 info?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Marvel's official schedule has an X-Men panel advertising announcements.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Do you think Sabertooth can still hear the mutant orgy?

I like to imagine he's hitting the proof of his not-prison with a broom yelling at those drat kids to keep it down.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Sabretooth: Krakoa's first incel.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

danbanana posted:

Sabretooth: Krakoa's first incel.

Excel, please get it right.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Man I really enjoyed the latest issue. Very dense in a good way. I’m definitely excited for the upcoming regulars.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

wielder posted:

My main concern about Wave 2 is that they might have too many ongoing titles, but realistically speaking...I am expecting a few of these to end up as 12 or 24 issue series, at most.

There's 6 announced so far, if wave 2 is another six books that'd put them at 12 total which, assuming 1 or 2 get canceled and/or are just mini series seems like a normal amount of X books for Marvel.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Exiles starring Sabretooth makes me think that it's going to be a book about mutants put into not-jail and it really is going to be a mental world rehabilitation program or something

Ezis
Oct 10, 2001

Blockhouse posted:

Exiles starring Sabretooth makes me think that it's going to be a book about mutants put into not-jail and it really is going to be a mental world rehabilitation program or something

A sort of "Mutants In Crisis," if you will.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/kierongillen/status/1180304268202594309?s=19

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Android Blues posted:

I dunno. The law itself is somewhat arbitrary. Jean's proposition is that it's a major crime to kill a human because humans can't be resurrected. Both Sabretooth and Wolverine killed humans while deployed against ORCHIS. Wolverine killed guiltier humans in a more dangerous situation, for sure, but there's nothing in Jean's proposition about the moral worth of each individual human or the moral justifiability of each killing. It's phrased like an absolute instead.

It would be nice to at least see the characters think about this, or struggle over their goofy autocracy for a second, rather than the way it's written where the character proposing the law makes a grandiose sweeping statement that's coming straight from the authorial voice and the others nod and go, "yes, that makes sense".

The law was against murdering humans. And as Magneto said, the debate on whether it counts as murder if it's in defense of a nation wasn't one they were going to get into or solve that day and it wasn't relevant to what Sabretooth had done. Yes, they were stealing the data in order to find where they were building the Mother Mold, but from context clues Sabretooth didn't, by any stretch, have to kill those guards.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
Even if Wolverine did commit a crime, he subsequently died and was rebooted as a version of himself who has no memory of committing that crime. This is a thing, now, I guess.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
also Sabretooth didn't kill any random guards, he pissed off the F4

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JayMax posted:

Even if Wolverine did commit a crime, he subsequently died and was rebooted as a version of himself who has no memory of committing that crime. This is a thing, now, I guess.

Sabretooth didn't die on the mission, same dude.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Dawn of X panel happening right now

In case anyone had doubts they explicitly spelled out that House/Powers was intentionally focused on big picture set-up so that the Dawn of X books can zero in on individual characters

also Hickman promised Apocalypse in a business suit

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I want to say that I really appreciate the thoughtful criticism that people have shared here even if at least right now I'm enjoying this. I think a lot of good ideas have been raised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Benjamin Percy is writing a solo Wolverime book