Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BvQoUbrtHk

:tutbutt::jihad::tutbutt::d2a::tutbutt::happyelf::tutbutt:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
https://twitter.com/saadabedine/status/1180034350697594881?s=21

:france:

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5V7Wy0RfYY

Goddamn why are the Houthis so good at this?

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
In other news, the Turkish government is about to destroy a 12,000 year old city.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

the green zone in baghdad has been completely overrun by the protestors

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/ahmedalbasheer1/status/1180565826774155264

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Iraq War 3.0 here we gooooo

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

These are moderate rebels right? :ohdear:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Wait who are the "insurgents" and who are the "activists"

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

StashAugustine posted:

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

StashAugustine posted:

One of the last remaining and overworked staffers at the state department in a delirious fugue state asking cspam who to bomb

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

420 Gank Mid posted:

One of the last remaining and overworked staffers at the state department in a delirious fugue state asking cspam who to bomb

coin flip?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

:yeshaha:

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Am I correct in saying that these protesters support the US's stated aims in the middle east of reducing Iran's regional influence, but not their actual aims of increasing the US's regional influence and therefore are opposed by the US foreign policy establishment?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

Am I correct in saying that these protesters support the US's stated aims in the middle east of reducing Iran's regional influence, but not their actual aims of increasing the US's regional influence and therefore are opposed by the US foreign policy establishment?

I'm pretty sure these protesters don't give a gently caress about the US either way. They're protesting about basic domestic problems, like high unemployment, government corruption, and the fact that security forces are shooting at them. The US foreign policy establishment considers them troublesome not because of their actual aims, but because they endanger the stability of the current Western-friendly Iraqi government.

if the US thought they were anti-America protesters, the Official Media Line would be actively calling for the protesters to be massacred, not just passively handwringing about "violent protests" while conspicuously ignoring the fact that government troops are the ones bringing the violence

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

30.5 Days posted:

pretty sure they hate the us too lol

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

:yeshaha::yeshaha::yeshaha::yeshaha:
:yeshaha::yeshaha:

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

https://twitter.com/JuliaHugoRachel/status/1180575162485264384?s=20

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

For people not familiar with the term the Green Zone is basically where international lanyards and their various hanger ons are garrisoned.

Sort of like the Iraqi version the snobbier parts of DC.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

Where can we See these things

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I was seeing something on Twitter pointing out that folks in Mosul were pissed about the statue being removed, and that it was unexpected because he's Shia and Mosul is in a heavily Sunni area. I know poo poo about Iraqi politics, but that plus a couple other things I read make it seem like the protests aren't breaking down across those lines.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

mcclay posted:

Does anyone have the link to the start of the big Iran-Iraq war effortposts that happened in the A/T mil hist thread?

This is the last effortpost they made which has links to all of them.

There's also the Lions Led by Donkeys Podcast, which has a 6 part series about the Iran-Iraq War starting from the Iranian Revolution. Its sort of like Hardcore History but more lighthearted, and hosted by people who were actually in the military. They also have series about the Soviet-Afghan War and the history of civil war in Yemen.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

etalian posted:

For people not familiar with the term the Green Zone is basically where international lanyards and their various hanger ons are garrisoned.

Sort of like the Iraqi version the snobbier parts of DC.

is it still sealed off from the rest of the city by berlin style wall

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

yes

Raskolnikov38 posted:

is it still sealed off from the rest of the city by berlin style wall

i think they removed the barriers a few months ago, there were a couple article about how much better the traffic in baghdad got because of it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://mobile.twitter.com/BalienSalihi/status/1180908491554381833

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

30.5 Days posted:

muqtada al-sadr is heavily supporting the protests, as is the communist party

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

I literally don't believe this. There's no way any Iraqi could have even an ounce of faith in the US at this point. That's like still trusting the scorpion after it's stung you.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

30.5 Days posted:

You know, other countries have politics too, not just the US.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

man google translate for arabic is pretty good
https://iraqicp.com/index.php/sections/party/25595-2019-10-04-17-10-26

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

TrilliontonNixon posted:

I literally don't believe this. There's no way any Iraqi could have even an ounce of faith in the US at this point. That's like still trusting the scorpion after it's stung you.

neocons want troops back there to counter iran and dont care about looking insane

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1181043939899523072

Looks like Turks are actually gonna roll in.

Grondoth posted:

Where can we See these things

I recommend not seeing these things. The Iraqi Army is escalating the use of lethal force. NSFW:

https://twitter.com/AAlsalman91/status/1180955788875042819?s=19

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I am shocked, shocked, yadda yadda yadda.

:smith:

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
As loving awful as the Trump presidency has been for the whole world, I can't help but feel there's a great thing being done by finally peeling off the mask so that everyone can see just what we truly are.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Grondoth posted:

As loving awful as the Trump presidency has been for the whole world, I can't help but feel there's a great thing being done by finally peeling off the mask so that everyone can see just what we truly are.

libs still want us to go back to the good ol days where we invaded other counties and overthrew governments but at least we didnt swear when we did it so its not like it really matters.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 20 days!)

liberals would have betrayed the YPG too

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 20 days!)

you’re gonna start to see a lot of anti Kurdish smears repeated uncritically in America media. poo poo that only Turks would believe

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

TrilliontonNixon posted:

the hearts and minds campaign was not a total failure: we threw a LOT at propaganda trying to explain how we were the good guys. it also turned out we were the heart-stoppingly incompetent guys, though, so while they'd like us to do the right thing they have no reason to expect it.

hence the whole "physically capturing the centers of government" thing

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

goodog posted:

This is the last effortpost they made which has links to all of them.

There's also the Lions Led by Donkeys Podcast, which has a 6 part series about the Iran-Iraq War starting from the Iranian Revolution. Its sort of like Hardcore History but more lighthearted, and hosted by people who were actually in the military. They also have series about the Soviet-Afghan War and the history of civil war in Yemen.

God bless friend. Thank you for this

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

Iraq is a Shiite-majority state with much of the demonstrations happening in the Shiite south.

However, its institutions are very weak and being hollowed out and replaced by Iranian-backed factions and militias, who are corrupt af.

Iranian-backed factions and militias have been leading the repression of protestors, and attacking media (smashing TV stations, etc) that air the demonstrations or are otherwise perceived as unfriendly to Iran.

Iraqis have a tough enough lot, and just want to exercise their national sovereignty. -

quote:

Economic and political frustrations are at the heart of the protests. But anger has also been directed at Iran, which is seen as having undue influence over the government. The dismissal of Abdul-Wahab al-Saadi, a popular army commander, brought many of his southern tribesmen onto the streets. They believe he was ousted for trying to root out corruption in the army, particularly among Shia militia groups with close ties to Iran. Al-Saadi's face has been seen on placards waved by protesters. “Out, out Iran. Set our country free,” they say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncop
Oct 23, 2010
I wonder how bad the Assad&friends side must be that the Kurds would still rather fight Turkey than betray USA back. Especially since the Turkish will ethnically cleanse the land so the war isn't going to end with nice friendly guerrilla sympathetic areas yearning for freedom to operate in, PKK style. Rather, the objective seems to be to fully sever the geographic connection to PKK.

Maybe the Syrian government has been convinced somehow that Turkey isn't looking for annexations but only ethnic cleansing, and is fine enough with that that they will never negotiate for anything less than the basically full surrender they demanded before the Afrin assault?