Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Fray is an irony edgelord (but also a white supremacist covering it up with COMEDY) and is definitely doing a bit there. He’s a grown man who bought an AEW shirt so he could pretend to be an AEW fan at the SCI all weekend. You can safely ignore everything from him or anyone who interacts with him regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
At some point it stops being "ironic" or "a bit" and you're just a full-on brokebrain. Fray crossed the rubicon a long, long time ago.

(also, you know, the racist and anti-Semitic tweets which are definitely not ironic)

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

you are who you pretend to be, as a better writer than I once wrote, so Fray is clearly a stupid, hateful fuckhead no matter how you slice it

and I’m a smoldering hot, fiendishly clever witch who hexed Trump’s hands to be tiny and wormlike and gross until he finally demonstrates genuine, spontaneous altruism (currently working on getting the universe to cause Vince McMahon to fall from a great height onto a ringpost)

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Fray is the worst thing of all: bad at posting

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

https://twitter.com/OGJOHNNY5/status/1180310111308275712

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

he remains the guy who thought sasha returning to her job where she works was a bigger deal than Shibata not being a farm

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I;m curious, why does that jackass have a blue tic?

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

MJeff posted:

I;m curious, why does that jackass have a blue tic?

They'll give anyone a blue tic.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

fatherofmustard posted:

Not Dixie Carter!

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

fatherofmustard posted:

Burn on Lowtax out of nowhere

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I'm predicting that at least 80% of the content in this thread for the next few months is "everyone hated it when WWE did [thing], so why isn't everyone complaining about AEW doing [superficially similar thing]?"

lol

https://twitter.com/JoeGilbert1992/status/1180347475825217536

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I've seen people bitch about Mox in the same way, but I'm fairly sure AEW only said 'An appearance by Jon Moxley' which... they delivered. Like, you got to see him, and see him do the thing he's good at (throwing mans through objects they shouldn't be thrown through).

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Kofi getting squashed is actually good you see:

https://twitter.com/AKI_Evolution/status/1180345602519048192?s=20

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ah, an "IT'S HEAT AND ALL HEAT IS GOOD" take in the wild.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
The only way that argument works is if last night was that person's first time watching a WWE show.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Gotta get HEEEEEEEAT!!!

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Same, tbh

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

JT Smiley posted:

The only way that argument works is if last night was that person's first time watching a WWE show.

Even if you accept that because Fox, it still doesn't work because... OK, I know nothing about wrestling. I see the champion come out, get squashed in one move. That doesn't make the belt seem special because the guy who had it was a chump, and it doesn't make Brock seem good because he squashed a guy I don't know.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Is this the right thread to kvetch about Cornette's increasing insistence that nobody wants to se "the girls matches," especially not in equal numbers to the men's matches?

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

davidbix posted:

Is this the right thread to kvetch about Cornette's increasing insistence that nobody wants to se "the girls matches," especially not in equal numbers to the men's matches?

If the opinions bad and dumb and not from this forum, you’re in the right thread.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That is definitely a stupid wrestling opinion :hai:

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

davidbix posted:

I don't know, I thought I was really excited for the AEW Women's Championship. Then I watched it, and it was really good and I felt very satisfied having watched it. I'm looking forward to seeing more Riho matches, and watch Nyla Rose develop into a big old hoss who just destroys people. Also Awesome Kong is there, and possibly Aja Kong, which could lead to a Kong Off, which would be incredibly awesome and fun.

Wait a second....

Holy poo poo, Cornette is just a bitter old man! It all makes sense now!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

especially when the riho/nyla match gained in womens 12-35

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

it was also easily the best match on the show

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

especially when the riho/nyla match gained in womens 12-35

Cornette thinks the way to capture that demo is for the wrestlers to gently caress them

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

Cornette thinks the way to capture that demo is for the wrestlers to gently caress them

Don’t gently caress 12 year olds.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Jim Cornette hates anything anyone else did and loves what he did. I love his stories but I don't listen when he starts talking about the state of wrestling.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Dimebags Brain posted:

Cornette learnt the wrong lessons from Grizzly Smith

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Jim Cornette hates anything anyone else did and loves what he did. I love his stories but I don't listen when he starts talking about the state of wrestling.
A lot of the time, though, you can at least get an idea of where he's coming from. Here, it was basically just that he thought there aren't women out there who can do an athletic style? Even though all of the women on NXT this week work an athletic style? (He refused to watch the title match because of Candice's ties to Joey Ryan, though.) He's also said stuff before like the women don't look like their offense is weighty enough (which can apply to Riho but pretty much nobody else) and that they don't weigh enough to make an impressive noise when they bump (which...what?!?!?)? In the past, there were times where I gave him a little bit of benefit of the doubt because he felt the matches weren't being positioned as important, but lately it's sounded a lot more like he considers women's wrestling to be inherently bad/unimportant/uninteresting with anything he likes being an outlier.

He also keeps calling Riho and sometimes the other Japanese women in AEW "Japanese schoolgirls" for some reason. And said that he thinks that her push only makes sense if Omega is loving her or trying to gently caress her. (And he had made it clear by that point that he knew the backstory, so that made it extra creepy on top of everything else.)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

honestly i'd just stop giving him a platform and exposure.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Cornette has a pretty big issue with size that bleeds over into the women’s division, he doesn’t see wrestlers as fitting unless they look like what he considers intimidating or athletic. For instance he likes Nyla Rose and Awesome Kong but pretty much has no interest in the women who don’t look like they could kick your rear end. Most of the Japanese women fall into the “too small” category so he’s immediately disinterested if there’s a bunch of Japanese women wrestling in a match. He doesn’t get as upset about it as when men are too small or puny looking for his taste (see his rants on how awful he thinks Marlo Stunt being a wrestler is) as much as he just has no interest in watching it.

Add that to his old school bias of women’s matches being special attractions and he basically only enjoys the Stephanie McMahon vs Ronda Rousie type of women’s match. He tries to dress it up in different ways but in almost every women’s match critique he does it basically boils down to “why isn’t the bigger woman squashing the smaller one”

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Dimebags Brain posted:

Please don't kinkshame Jerry Lawler

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
jim cornette is a gimmick slowly sliding into the same thought process as trump, just an old poo poo shouting stuff and smuggly believing he’s always right no matter how insane his views are

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Rarity posted:

Please don't kinkshame Jerry Lawler

LOL i'll pretend you said Rob Feinstein.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Jim's also started calling Kenny "Kenny Olivier" or something. I have no idea what the context of this is but given none I can only assume it's "ha ha girl's name" which....gently caress you, Jim!

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

davidbix posted:

A lot of the time, though, you can at least get an idea of where he's coming from. Here, it was basically just that he thought there aren't women out there who can do an athletic style? Even though all of the women on NXT this week work an athletic style? (He refused to watch the title match because of Candice's ties to Joey Ryan, though.) He's also said stuff before like the women don't look like their offense is weighty enough (which can apply to Riho but pretty much nobody else) and that they don't weigh enough to make an impressive noise when they bump (which...what?!?!?)? In the past, there were times where I gave him a little bit of benefit of the doubt because he felt the matches weren't being positioned as important, but lately it's sounded a lot more like he considers women's wrestling to be inherently bad/unimportant/uninteresting with anything he likes being an outlier.

He also keeps calling Riho and sometimes the other Japanese women in AEW "Japanese schoolgirls" for some reason. And said that he thinks that her push only makes sense if Omega is loving her or trying to gently caress her. (And he had made it clear by that point that he knew the backstory, so that made it extra creepy on top of everything else.)

If you go back to Double or Nothing he outright skipped the Joshi trios match there entirely because it was a match that had six Japanese women in it (including women that no one in their right mind would criticise for being too light with offensive stuff like Aja Kong and Ryo Mizunami): which I think says a lot about the way that he sees Japanese women's wrestling so I'm more than willing to dismiss what he thinks about it.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

He did work in Memphis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MJeff posted:

Jim's also started calling Kenny "Kenny Olivier" or something. I have no idea what the context of this is but given none I can only assume it's "ha ha girl's name" which....gently caress you, Jim!

I think he's basically combining his idea of Omega and co 'pretending' to be wrestlers with the (to be fair, arguably accurate) idea of Kenny as a tryhard, therefore he's the self-proclaimed Laurence Olivier of 'play-wrestlers'.

And, honestly, Bix, I think the NXT week one review should've made it clear before now. His argument was 'these are 4 girls I don't know in a match I don't care about' which is... the point is supposedly to introduce the talent to the audience and somehow having a match is bad for this?

I mean, can someone look up the first episode of SMW and tell us how the 'master' introduced his talent to an audience?

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 6, 2019