Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is there a way to delete watch backups? I have ones from years ago that I definitely don’t need anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

colachute posted:

I’m bad at reading analog

I hope I’m not alone.

:smith:

Certainly not. I didn't buy the Apple Watch to recreate mechanical watches, I bought it to have an info display and mini-computer on my wrist. I've used Modular since I got the Series 0 and appreciate the info density.

devilmonk
May 21, 2003

I know it's been covered already, but can someone remind me about the pro/cons of sport band vs. loop?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

hannibal posted:

Certainly not. I didn't buy the Apple Watch to recreate mechanical watches, I bought it to have an info display and mini-computer on my wrist. I've used Modular since I got the Series 0 and appreciate the info density.

:yeah:

Glad I'm not the only one. If I wanted an analog face I'd wear an analog watch (but I wouldn't because I don't really find them useful)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

devilmonk posted:

I know it's been covered already, but can someone remind me about the pro/cons of sport band vs. loop?

Sport loop
Pros: extremely lightweight and comfortable (infinite adjustability is great).
Cons: doesn’t look fancy, needs washing occasionally

Sport band
Pros: none so far as I can tell
Cons: sweaty, cheap looking easily marked plastic, doesn’t adjust very well

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is there a way to delete watch backups? I have ones from years ago that I definitely don’t need anymore.

Settings > General > iPhone Storage > Watch

Watch backups are tiny, so the Watch app will be near the bottom of the list.

My 5 backups take ~852KB.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

devilmonk posted:

I like the sport band for working out. If you’re buying a sport band outright, get a Nike one as it has venting. I mostly like the plastic/silicone stuff for working out because I don’t want fabric soaking up sweat.

I like the sport loop for everyday wear. Very comfortable. I’d never wear it for a workout. It’s fabric and would get gross fast. Also I dislike the feeling of fabric bands while I workout.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I work out with my sport loop every day and wear it in the shower. It doesn’t get gross at all.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I work out with my sport loop every day and wear it in the shower. It doesn’t get gross at all.

:same:

The (Nike) sport band is great for swimming but I haven’t had issues with the sport loop there either. There’s not many other reasons to use the sport band so it’s kinda single-functional for me.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I prefer the aesthetics of the sport band but enjoy the comfort of the sport loop. Only issue I've heard about the sport loop is that the velcro isn't strong enough to withstand high pressure from waterfalls.

I ended up ordering a dozens loops/bands for $2 each from here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32946486146.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.661c4c4dW9qCEF

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Gay Retard posted:

I prefer the aesthetics of the sport band but enjoy the comfort of the sport loop. Only issue I've heard about the sport loop is that the velcro isn't strong enough to withstand high pressure from waterfalls.

I ended up ordering a dozens loops/bands for $2 each from here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32946486146.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.661c4c4dW9qCEF
:raise:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

You don’t power wash your watch band right on your wrist? :rolleyes:

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I love my black sports band which is my daily driver. I have a fancy leather one for fancy shmancy time though.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

You’re gross.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Xenomorph posted:

Settings > General > iPhone Storage > Watch

Watch backups are tiny, so the Watch app will be near the bottom of the list.

My 5 backups take ~852KB.

Thanks. Still bugs me though since some of them are from 2015.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've heard of local divers going under waterfalls in popular swimming areas and finding them littered with Apple Watches with sport loops.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Gay Retard posted:

I've heard of local divers going under waterfalls in popular swimming areas and finding them littered with Apple Watches with sport loops.
I remembered a thing on the packaging saying to switch the lugs around for swimming workouts. Might have something to do with that.

Anyway another :same: take, loop is a lot nicer to wear, band has some cooler looking options. Wouldn’t say it’s horrible to wear or anything, but the loop is just ridiculously comfy in comparison to everything else.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My sport loop does sometimes come unvelcro’ed when I dive into a pool. But I use amazon knock offs, so who knows. I got the sport band with my 5 just to use while swimming. Loop for every other day.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Velcro does wear out over time too. My sport loop still holds fine for general use but it's definitely not as grippy as when it was new. If I don't mush the pieces together the tail kinda works loose through the day.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Housh posted:

I’m basic on the s2 but want to change things up when the s5 gets here.

Which face is this? I have an S2 but don’t see this one in my watch face options.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I like the utility watch face but the long date complication (the one that says “Sun 6” instead of just “6”) often just doesn’t work.

Apple Watch jank or something I can do about it?

IllegallySober posted:

Which face is this? I have an S2 but don’t see this one in my watch face options.

That’s just the Siri watch face, which is my usual go-to.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 6, 2019

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I can't believe there isn't a wide range of Apple Watch sleeves similar to TwelveSouth's ActionSleeve:

https://www.twelvesouth.com/products/actionsleeve?variant=9173862416441

They've been working on a Series 4/5 edition for over a year now, so who knows when they'll get around to releasing it.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 6, 2019

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Wtf nsfw that poo poo

eames
May 9, 2009

picture/avatar pairing is on point though

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

IllegallySober posted:

Siri face. Definitely was on S2 at least for for watchOS 4 and below. Dunno about 5 or 6.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I got Apple to do the hairline crack replacement program for my S3 that was a week out of warranty.

When you replace a watch that has a cellular plan, does it just move over automatically or do you have to de register and re register the cell plan option?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

I got Apple to do the hairline crack replacement program for my S3 that was a week out of warranty.

When you replace a watch that has a cellular plan, does it just move over automatically or do you have to de register and re register the cell plan option?

When you unpair a watch, it asks if you want to keep the service on that watch. Hit no. It won’t actually cancel the cell service, but rather de-associate it from your old watch.

When you pair the new watch, it should ask you to select which cellular service to apply to that watch. Mine brought me to an ATT page during the setup. It’s easy.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I picked up a iPhone 11 pro yesterday. When I restored from my backup it asked if I wanted to pair my old watch with the new phone. And it did. But it changed my October fitness challenge. Very annoying.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I've been rinsing my watch here and there when I wash my hands, is it cool to just go all the way with some sudzed up soap or is that a bad idea? I know it's waterproof but no idea how soapproof this thing is.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Apple says no soap, I'd go with that.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Tim Cook said he wears his watch in the shower, does this mean he doesn't use soap? Disgusting.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

marktheando posted:

Tim Cook said he wears his watch in the shower, does this mean he doesn't use soap? Disgusting.

He only uses the body oils of young teenage virgin boys to cleanse his flesh anymore.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Krakkles posted:

Apple says no soap, I'd go with that.
Ah, should've figured there'd be some formal documentation for that, thanks!

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Apple Watch life folks is the $10 extra a month worth it for mLTE? I've been using the s2 without cellular for 2 years fine but would be cool to leave the phone at home sometimes.

Is it worth it?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Housh posted:

Apple Watch life folks is the $10 extra a month worth it for mLTE? I've been using the s2 without cellular for 2 years fine but would be cool to leave the phone at home sometimes.

Is it worth it?

Absolutely not but it is SO COOL the 2 times a month you end up using it.

EDIT: Real talk I do use it extensively when I'm vacationing and going to the beach or out hiking and don't want to actually carry anything around. And even then it's only more of a "I receive a call or text while out and I have the luxury of answering/replying".

The LTE murders battery unlike anything else, though. I don't think it's gotten any better and haven't used my S5 on LTE much yet but the initial offering on the S4 was abysmal. Like 1 hour talk time tops and your watch was dead.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 8, 2019

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Housh posted:

Is it worth it?

Just keep in kind unless you’re on the latest T-Mobile plan they all charge taxes and fees on the $10 so it’s closer to $15 from what I’m told.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Housh posted:

Is it worth it?

Total waste of money for almost everyone. It’s a sore spot for me that they force you to buy the LTE when you buy the SS/Watch Edition.

Even if it was more useful, $10 a month for the privilege is :downswords:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

god this blows posted:

Just keep in kind unless you’re on the latest T-Mobile plan they all charge taxes and fees on the $10 so it’s closer to $15 from what I’m told.

They didn’t for me. It was a flat $10 on top of my One Plus plan.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

They didn’t for me. It was a flat $10 on top of my One Plus plan.

The T-Mobile One and One Plus with taxes included are the exception to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I have to switch companies to get it and it will cost me $11.36 more per month

I like the idea of not having my Plus size phone when I workout but :downswords: