Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Jay Gruden, coach of your 2020 Atlanta Falcons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Christ, and I thought I’ve had some petty bosses. Just fire him and let him have some dignity.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

fsif posted:

They could have just fired him. Like they didn't need an excuse about extracurriculars.

1) Dan Snyder once left 30 flavors of ice cream to melt on Mike Nolan's desk with a note that said, "I don't like vanilla," to criticize his defense when he was their DC.

2) Snyder and Allen think this is the way to get out of paying Jay Gruden the rest of his contract. Not sure if they're trying to get him to quit or if they're trying to trigger some bullshit "character clause," but whatever it is, this is to clawback some of the money he's owed.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
How much money can he be owed at this point? Isn't he at the end of his deal?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Hunt11 posted:

Are they trying to make the Redskins such a toxic organization that no one wants anything to do with them?

I think that ship's gone around the world by now

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Hunt11 posted:

Are they trying to make the Redskins such a toxic organization that no one wants anything to do with them?

Still unnecessary since that was already the case.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

e: how did this get here

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Grudens contract is done at the end of this season, he signed a 2 year extension in 2017

Yudo
May 15, 2003

If they fire Gruden, I think they will still owe him $5 million. Is the leak a sad attempt to claw it back? Regardless, Snyder seems to always find a way to make his franchise more toxic.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

$5 million isn't worth as much to Snyder as keeping Jay Gruden from having future football success. Any clawback is a bonus.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Gerund posted:

$5 million isn't worth as much to Snyder as keeping Jay Gruden from having future football success. Any clawback is a bonus.

the man's brother is a head coach with a fully guaranteed contract. he could have a jeffrey epstein sized scandal and still be coaching next year

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
That's not going to stop Snyder from trying. That video is probably going to lead to Jay getting divorced.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

That's not going to stop Snyder from trying. That video is probably going to lead to Jay getting divorced.

Cheating on his wife probably lead to it.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Gerund posted:

I get that Snyder/Allen is vindictive, but he can't be this self defeating. No one of merit will want to coach/GM for him if he keeps salting the earth in this way.

For example, Snyder and Co. tried desperately to replace their DC over the summer and failed despite what was reported to be very good money (they supposedly offered the moon to Todd Bowles and he still said no). Coaches have made lateral moves or even taken slight demotions to get out of Washington. Perhaps he thinks things can't get any worse?

Gruden will get another OC job, doobies or no. He can get a lot out of so so QBs and can reliably scheme people open in the passing game.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Chichevache posted:

Cheating on his wife probably lead to it.

You're not wrong. I'm saying it's part of Snyders angle. He may get a job with his brother but his marriage is hosed.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I eagerly await a gen z scandal where his wife steps forward after evidence of cheating with a PR response of how she found it incredibly hot and cant wait to peg him tonight.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
This is what I mean when I say we can't evaluate Washington like a normal organization. They can't just fire an underachieving coach and move on with their lives, they have to do it in the dumbest, most drawn-out fashion possible that ends up embarrassing everyone involved.

Shanahan and Zorn also had bizarre drama shitstorms when they eventually got run out of town. There was no way Gruden was escaping this one with his dignity intact.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Benne posted:

This is what I mean when I say we can't evaluate Washington like a normal organization. They can't just fire an underachieving coach and move on with their lives, they have to do it in the dumbest, most drawn-out fashion possible that ends up embarrassing everyone involved.

Shanahan and Zorn also had bizarre drama shitstorms when they eventually got run out of town. There was no way Gruden was escaping this one with his dignity intact.

Everyone who comes to Washington in the Snyder era leaves somehow diminished. No one escapes unscathed, except perhaps for Joe Gibbs.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Yudo posted:

Everyone who comes to Washington in the Snyder era leaves somehow diminished. No one escapes unscathed, except perhaps for Joe Gibbs.

Marty got out ok, after turning absolute poo poo into an 8-8 season.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Yudo posted:

I get that Snyder/Allen is vindictive, but he can't be this self defeating.

Yes, he can.

Seriously, the dude is struggling to get a new stadium, fans aren't coming out to games anymore, and no one wants to work for him - either as a coach or a player (or hell, even cheerleader!).

He's driving the whole thing so far into the ground, i wouldn't be surprised if the NFL softly forced him to sell within 10 years.

He's not smart or clever, he got rich by slamming grandmas' and grandpas' long distance service. He's one of those ruthless assholes who operates on the, "What are they going to do, kill me?" doctrine.

He is exhibit B as to why we, as a society, should kill motherfuckers like him.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Calling it now.

Jay Gruden will the OC in MIN next year.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

OxySnake posted:

Calling it now.

Jay Gruden will the OC in MIN next year.

Did he like Cousins? I don't think he did. I don't think he'd want to saddle himself with Cousins again. Esp. for his "prove it" OC job that's supposed to catapult him back into a being a head coach again someday.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Barudak posted:

I eagerly await a gen z scandal where his wife steps forward after evidence of cheating with a PR response of how she found it incredibly hot and cant wait to peg him tonight.

Miko Grimes might say that

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Yudo posted:

I get that Snyder/Allen is vindictive, but he can't be this self defeating. No one of merit will want to coach/GM for him if he keeps salting the earth in this way.

https://washington.cbslocal.com/2017/07/07/jason-campbell-recalls-chaotic-transition-to-the-bingo-caller/

quote:

Zorn received the news in a meeting with front office chief Vinny Cerrato at the stadium following Sunday’s 14-6 loss to the previously winless Kansas City Chiefs. The Redskins (2-4) are averaging 13.2 points and have failed to score a touchdown in two of their home games.

“The reason I can comply with this is simply because of the lack of scoring,” Zorn said. “I want to win, too. If this has to be done this week, if this is going to be the key, I’m certainly willing to give it a try. Because we’re 2-4 and to not score in the last few weeks, the way we have not scored, is very frustrating.”

Barely a fortnight ago, Lewis was enjoying retirement in Michigan, calling Bingo games at a senior center and delivering Meals on Wheels. He previously spent 22 years as an NFL assistant before retiring after the 2004 season. The Redskins lured him back into football as a consultant for the struggling offense.

And now — Voila! — he’s the play caller.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Barudak posted:

What if...it’s not just PR...

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Shanahan - last NFL job
Zorn - QB coach for a few years, XFL comeback?
Gibbs 2 - last NFL job
Spurrier - last NFL job
Schottenheimer - went on to coach San Deigo and rubbed his success in Dan Snyder's face
Norv Turner - wasn't Dan's guy but is still an OC since then

The job is a tomb of the Pharaoh

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Gerund posted:

Shanahan - last NFL job
Gibbs 2 - last NFL job
Spurrier - last NFL job
Schottenheimer - went on to coach San Deigo and rubbed his success in Dan Snyder's face

Clearly what's missing is someone from Belichick's coaching tree.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Does Gruden have a big enough boner for Establishing The Run to run the offense in Minnesota? He appears to at least have pass plays in the playbook at all, which got the previous OC fired.

e: I know that's a simplification of what happened to DeFilippo but still I don't know that any remotely forward thinking OC candidate would want to land on Zimmer's Vikings.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Oct 6, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gerund posted:

Shanahan - last NFL job
Gibbs 2 - last NFL job
Spurrier - last NFL job

Coach money is guaranteed, right? Sign me up and Snyder can leak to the papers my hottakes on italian food, Half-Life 2, and the fact I wont say the name of the team I coach in public.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Barudak posted:

Coach money is guaranteed, right? Sign me up and Snyder can leak to the papers my hottakes on italian food, Half-Life 2, and the fact I wont say the name of the team I coach in public.

It's guaranteed, but probably has escape clauses for things like the coach resigning or "character issues," which is more for the coach being arrested and detained and therefore unable to show up to work than it does with, "coach done smoked a joint and maybe cheated on his wife" or "alcoholic GM is drinking again."

Yudo
May 15, 2003

LabyaMynora posted:

Did he like Cousins? I don't think he did. I don't think he'd want to saddle himself with Cousins again. Esp. for his "prove it" OC job that's supposed to catapult him back into a being a head coach again someday.

He liked Cousins to an extent, though there was some tension: Gruden grew frustrated with Cousins' passing conservatism.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Yudo posted:

He liked Cousins to an extent, though there was some tension: Gruden grew frustrated with Cousins' passing conservatism.

So after Cousins naturally they signed Alex Smith.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

So after Cousins naturally they signed Alex Smith.

Rumor is that Smith was 100% Bruce Allen's decision: he did not consult with Gruden at all prior to the trade. It sounds insane, but this is Washington. Gruden wanted to ride with Colt McCoy.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
gently caress Adam Gase

Edit: wrong thread, but honestly, fire Adam Gase.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

Professor Funk posted:

gently caress Adam Gase

I'll allow it

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Does Gase have Grave's disease or something?

Hell that first photo-op over a year ago or whatever I thought it was a photoshop.

Phyein
Jun 19, 2009

~Sucka Tried To Play Me
But You Never Paid Me, Never, Oh No You Didn't~
~Pay Back Is A Comin, You Will Be Runnin Forever~

Professor Funk posted:

gently caress Adam Gase

While we're at it gently caress Peyton Manning too for calling up the Jets and shilling for him.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Good bye Dan Quinn?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Phyein posted:

While we're at it gently caress Peyton Manning too for calling up the Jets and shilling for him.

LOL, gently caress anyone who thinks Peyton Manning's endorsement of Adam Gase means anything.

It's not like Adam Gase developed Peyton Manning when he coached him. Peyton Manning was already Peyton loving Manning!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staguar
Aug 29, 2004

Adun posted:

Good bye Dan Quinn?

I hope that Blank will fire him and the front office that thought Vic Beasley was worth 13 million this year.