Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I didn't know any better, and it looked really good in the store. So, is that too much leakage, or is that normal?

It does look like too much to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

abelwingnut posted:

to a larger point, are there any cables--audio, video, data, whatever--that are actually worth spending more on? thicker speaker wire over thinner speaker wire, i get. and that's also like a negligible price difference. but this other stuff? i don't understand.

The tl;dr version is that within a standard home theater style A/V rack where all the components are within single digit cable-feet of each other you can basically get away with anything on the interconnect cables as long as it's not complete trash.

Speaker wire is definitely the first one to show limitations, the more power you need to flow the larger gauge of wire you need.

For basically any analog interconnect, as long as you have high quality coax paired with high quality connectors it's fine. If the cable more closely resembles a cable/satellite/antenna feed line than a headphone cord you're probably fine over any reasonable distance.

Digital is harder from an actual cabling standpoint, but tends to also have standards where any cable that qualifies for the logo is supposed to be good enough to run whatever signals it's rated for. If a HDMI 2.0 rated cable can't do 4K60 the cable is broken and should be replaced. If you need to violate spec distances, as may happen in a home theater environment, cables with a larger gauge and/or active cables may be necessary.-

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Jesus, those C9s aren't far away from falling in to impulse buy territory at this rate.

Any rumors about the C10s yet? :q:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Residency Evil posted:

Any rumors about the C10s yet? :q:

Traditionally new TVs are announced at the CES in January.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The nomenclature refers to the year they're from, so maybe we'll go back to C0 in 2020 or see another type of naming. Hopefully it'll just be something like C20.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Is it worth it to purchase from an unauthorized dealer? There is a 65" C9 on ebay at $1799 at the moment: https://www.ebay.com/itm/264365052819

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I ended up ordering this TV thanks to the advice here, it fits well in the room and the screen quality is good.

However, it's advertised everywhere as having bluetooth, but so far I've been unable to find the bluetooth function. I want to connect some bluetooth headphones (important because my mother is hard of hearing so whenever i stay over there she wears headphones so i can actually fall asleep without the TV blaring in another room), I go to the sound settings in the menu but there's no bluetooth option among the audio out options. I checked almost everywhere else as well but no dice. Any ideas why this might be? It does seem to be the actual TV I ordered and everywhere I looked online it says that it's supposed to have bluetooth.

Double sucks because it doesn't even have a normal headphone jack either, or I could just connect a bluetooth dongle type thing.

e: it seems like some models of this TV don't have bluetooth, but the specs on the page where I bought it from list bluetooth. Looks like this is just false advertising. gently caress that sucks because I guess that means I have to return it :(

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 2, 2019

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

.Z. posted:

Is it worth it to purchase from an unauthorized dealer? There is a 65" C9 on ebay at $1799 at the moment: https://www.ebay.com/itm/264365052819

Beach Camera is authorized and has similar deals frequently. My vote is no, but up to you.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Very few retailers will actually qualify for LG's strict warranty guidelines, and eBay resellers are just as legit as any other avenue. If it's a good deal then buy it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

American McGay posted:

Very few retailers will actually qualify for LG's strict warranty guidelines, and eBay resellers are just as legit as any other avenue. If it's a good deal then buy it.

How does that even work? How do they disclaim the warranty and how is it the consumers fault? How do these places get the TV in the first place - isn't this a contract dispute between their distributors and LG?

I know it was rampant in the SLR camera scene a decade ago where JP products were sold state side for cheap and then Canon said "lol no" to warranty claims.

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbis...UknxIOSryyhbU40

TCL 65R615 refurbished for $459.99

Have we heard at all if these refurbs are more/less susceptible to panel lottery issues?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ablert Einstein posted:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbis...UknxIOSryyhbU40

TCL 65R615 refurbished for $459.99

Have we heard at all if these refurbs are more/less susceptible to panel lottery issues?

Given the high return rate of that TV I'd assume all "refurbs" are basically just what people returned for the jailbar effect

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

H110Hawk posted:

How does that even work? How do they disclaim the warranty and how is it the consumers fault? How do these places get the TV in the first place - isn't this a contract dispute between their distributors and LG?

I get the impression that if you say "lol I lost my Best Buy receipt" you're good for one year from mfg date, but if you present your Ebay receipt to extend that to one year from sale date, you'll get the "lol no."

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KS posted:

I get the impression that if you say "lol I lost my Best Buy receipt" you're good for one year from mfg date, but if you present your Ebay receipt to extend that to one year from sale date, you'll get the "lol no."

Yeah, that's my impression as well. I'm wondering how the latter works other than being illegal but most people won't push it?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

BonoMan posted:

Given the high return rate of that TV I'd assume all "refurbs" are basically just what people returned for the jailbar effect

Getting a 75” 6 series delivered tomorrow. What should I watch out for?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

H110Hawk posted:

Yeah, that's my impression as well. I'm wondering how the latter works other than being illegal but most people won't push it?

:gop::hf::capitalism:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

morestuff posted:

Don't watch for anything. If it looks good to you then it's a good TV.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

morestuff posted:

The feet are almost as wide as the screen. Also lifting it is a two-person operation. Technically not, but it is.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

morestuff posted:

A.) If it looks fine to you that's all that matters

B.) Some models have a jailbar pattern that can appear in solid colors and bright scenes (that aren't just solid colors)

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Any settings recommendations for a 65" LG B8 OLED and sports (hockey).

Watching as the season gets underway and the puck flitters in and out when it's moving with any speed... Figure it's probably some setting I can turn on or off to improve the motion handling

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Krime posted:

Any settings recommendations for a 65" LG B8 OLED and sports (hockey).

Watching as the season gets underway and the puck flitters in and out when it's moving with any speed... Figure it's probably some setting I can turn on or off to improve the motion handling

One thing that had a big impact for me was changing my cable box output back to 720p. I went through the trouble of upgrading to the 4K box, but the scaler in the cable box (Xfinity X1v4) is worse than the TV's.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
https://www.richersounds.com/lg-oled55c9pla.html

LG OLED55C9 55 inch down to £1499, last week it was £1799.

Anyone know if these LG OLED TVs got discounted on Black Friday last year?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

amazon has discounted all models of samsung's the frame by $300-$400.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I'm in the market for a real budget projector. It's not going to be used daily at all. I'll use it to put some movies on in the backyard this halloween for instance. I might occasionally use it indoors, but I doubt I'll turn it on much more often than once a month, if that. Portability as a feature isn't important to me, since it's not like I'm taking this camping or dragging it around an office all day.

I've narrowed it down to a few options:

Vankyo Leisure 3 for $70 https://www.amazon.com/LEISURE-Proj...213e2c27ceb5813

Bomaker GC555 for $110 https://www.amazon.com/BOMAKER-Projector-Carrying-Supported-Compatible/dp/B07MZL7H4X/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=dlp+projector&qid=1570198049&sr=8-3

APEMAN LC550 for $120 https://www.amazon.com/Projector-APEMAN-Supported-Portable-Speakers/dp/B07RFS71XQ/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=dlp+projector&qid=1570198049&sr=8-10

VANKYO Leisure 510 for $170 https://www.amazon.com/VANKYO-Leisu...tag=rsonsite-20

The Leisure 3 at $70 is dirt cheap but I don't mind tossing a few more dollars at it for something a bit better. On the other end of the spectrum the Leisure 510 certainly looks solid for the price point, but $170 is $50 more than I was hoping to spend. Both the GC555 and LC550 are right in the sweet spot for me, and I don't really have a way to choose between them.

What do you guys think is the best choice here? Will I never be able to tell the difference between the Leisure 3 and GC555 and LC550, so I should save myself the $40? Is the Leisure 510 at $170 so much better than the other options that the extra $50 is worth it? Is the GC555 or the LC550 superior to the other for any clear reason?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Oof man. Well my main advice would be EXTREMELY careful regarding the accuracy of the information being provided, as well as fake reviews, at that price point.

I don't have time to look through each option you listed but I can tell you right now that both of those Vankyo options are deceptive.

The $70 one is 800x480 resolution, and even the $170 one is 1280x768. It says that lower on the page but they shout about it being 1080p through the entire top of the listing. Super shady.

Best of luck.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha, I like how it says it's not suitable for powerpoints or office presentations without saying why. I bet text looks like hell after being downscaled from 1080p to 480p.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Taima posted:

Oof man. Well my main advice would be EXTREMELY careful regarding the accuracy of the information being provided, as well as fake reviews, at that price point.

I don't have time to look through each option you listed but I can tell you right now that both of those Vankyo options are deceptive.

The $70 one is 800x480 resolution, and even the $170 one is 1280x768. It says that lower on the page but they shout about it being 1080p through the entire top of the listing. Super shady.

Best of luck.

Oh yeah, when they say 1080p I know that's total horseshit. It's because they "support 1080p," which means they don't actually display at that res. I think everything but the $70 one are supposedly native to 720p (1280x768) and they're scaling 1080 stuff. That's not necessarily a dealbreaker, but I agree that the advertising is highly suspect, and I've mostly been ignoring it.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I'm in the market for a real budget projector. It's not going to be used daily at all. I'll use it to put some movies on in the backyard this halloween for instance. I might occasionally use it indoors, but I doubt I'll turn it on much more often than once a month, if that. Portability as a feature isn't important to me, since it's not like I'm taking this camping or dragging it around an office all day.

I've narrowed it down to a few options:

Vankyo Leisure 3 for $70 https://www.amazon.com/LEISURE-Proj...213e2c27ceb5813

Bomaker GC555 for $110 https://www.amazon.com/BOMAKER-Projector-Carrying-Supported-Compatible/dp/B07MZL7H4X/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=dlp+projector&qid=1570198049&sr=8-3

APEMAN LC550 for $120 https://www.amazon.com/Projector-APEMAN-Supported-Portable-Speakers/dp/B07RFS71XQ/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=dlp+projector&qid=1570198049&sr=8-10

VANKYO Leisure 510 for $170 https://www.amazon.com/VANKYO-Leisu...tag=rsonsite-20

The Leisure 3 at $70 is dirt cheap but I don't mind tossing a few more dollars at it for something a bit better. On the other end of the spectrum the Leisure 510 certainly looks solid for the price point, but $170 is $50 more than I was hoping to spend. Both the GC555 and LC550 are right in the sweet spot for me, and I don't really have a way to choose between them.

What do you guys think is the best choice here? Will I never be able to tell the difference between the Leisure 3 and GC555 and LC550, so I should save myself the $40? Is the Leisure 510 at $170 so much better than the other options that the extra $50 is worth it? Is the GC555 or the LC550 superior to the other for any clear reason?

I bought this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QCSDKDW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 a month or so ago for outdoor movie night at the lake and it works great for that purpose. I'm guessing in this price range you're not going to see much difference in the quality.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Also check out the Nebula (by Anker) line. A little more expensive than those, but we have the Mars II Pro at work and it's pretty awesome. Super portable and decent onboard sound. But it's like $500-550. Can be had for $350 from time to time.

They have the Nebula Capsule ($300) and Nebula Prizm series ($230) that are a bit more affordable.

It's a lot more of a reputable brand than those other things.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Nearing the end of my sperging on the LG C9. I've read on rtings.com that image stutter is a thing on movies and TV shows in certain shots.

Is this noticeable or is it so subtle I'd never know unless it's pointed out?

Also, the C9 supports the Xbox One X's variable refresh rate or FreeSync or whatever, correct?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Oct 5, 2019

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Nearing the end of my sperging on the LG C9. I've read on rtings.com that image stutter is a thing on movies and TV shows in certain shots.

Is this noticeable or is it so subtle I'd never know unless it's pointed out?

Also, the C9 supports the Xbox One X's variable refresh rate or FreeSync or whatever, correct?

The only conclusion I can reach on this is that sensitivity to it must vary. Keep in mind, movies are generally 24fps no matter what display you're watching it on, and the only reason one might appear to have less stutter than another is because of sluggish pixel response times adding motion blur that doesn't exist in the original signal. It's not that different from watching a movie on a CRT (where the phosphors have a near instant response time, like OLED pixels), so if that never bothered you, OLED wont either.

Also, yes, it supports HDMI 2.1 VRR. This is different from FreeSync. Additionally, an announcement was made that Nvidia and LG have teamed up to add Gsync Compatible support for LG TVs, so what this actually means is that at some future date, Nvidia GPUs will get a driver update to support HDMI 2.1 VRR, and LG will be allowed to advertise their TV as a Gsync TV. This gives you Xbox One X-level VRR for any PC w/ an Nvidia GPU that you connect to the TV. No love for AMD users yet, only vague promises with no actual delivery on that yet.

The Big Bad Worf fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 5, 2019

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I bought a C9. God help me.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I bought a C9. God help me.
You saw the 65” on Slickdeals too huh?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I'm abandoning the C9 and going TCL. Budget all the way, gently caress it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

The Ferret King posted:

I'm abandoning the C9 and going TCL. Budget all the way, gently caress it.
Goondolences.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
It's going to sit in my living room and never get used except when company comes over and can't make conversation.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

You saw the 65” on Slickdeals too huh?

I'm in the UK so I got the 55 inch set for £1499, which is £300 cheaper than last week. It's a thing of beauty, but the thinness is witchcraft to me.

I checked the thread and I've been asking about TVs for 2 and a half years. Don't think I can call this an impulse buy.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Oct 6, 2019

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

BonoMan posted:

A.) If it looks fine to you that's all that matters

B.) Some models have a jailbar pattern that can appear in solid colors and bright scenes (that aren't just solid colors)

All set up and am noticing a touch of this on solid fields of color. You need to be looking for it and 99% of content looks terrific, so I’m inclined to just live with it. This isn’t a problem that gets worse with time, is it?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

morestuff posted:

All set up and am noticing a touch of this on solid fields of color. You need to be looking for it and 99% of content looks terrific, so I’m inclined to just live with it. This isn’t a problem that gets worse with time, is it?

Shouldn't be. If you are fine with it then that's all that matters. Enjoy your new TV!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
It's not a C9 but I bought a 65" C8 a few months ago and I still love it. Watching anything else feels trash