Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

TheCog posted:

My limited experience with In'N'Out is that its incredibly overrated.

It has god awful fries and burgers that are very reliably solid, but which have an exceptional value. Two double doubles is less than a single double cheeseburger at 5 guys, and you can sure as poo poo bet that a 5 guys burger is not twice as good as a double double.

It's all about that value, not really so much being god's gift to burger craft.

My most annoying in n out thing is the people that keep insisting that the fries are "really good if you get them well done animal style!!!!"

No. They're not. They're still lovely as gently caress, only now they're also over cooked and covered in other junk that is wasting the space in your stomach that could be accomodating another mustard grilled burger, which is a thing that is actually good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I can easily see how a good value burg can be better. I just wish Carl Jr wasn't as far away as it is (well, objectively it isn't very far, but with my failing body it's far enough).

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

In n out = whataburger, but whataburger has patty melts

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Democratic Pirate posted:

In n out = whataburger, but whataburger has patty melts

I tried both on my first trip down to Dallas, I thought Whataburger was hands down better. Really didn't care for In n Out.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Value is an intangible thing. Clean, good fast service, etc. also factor in.

Culver's FTW.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Colostomy Bag posted:

Value is an intangible thing. Clean, good fast service, etc. also factor in.

Culver's FTW.

Culvers is amazing.

I think too many people overlook the value argument of In-N-Out. I just explained this concept to a coworker.
They produce consistently delicious burgers, for like half the price of other comparable burger chains.

Look at it this way:
If you spend $20 at Five Guys you get a burger, fries, and a drink.
If you spend $20 at In-N-Out, you're going to hurt yourself.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

A good option is to always double down on the burger, bring water, and skip the fries.

Yeah, I know its dumb to say considering well, burger. But I really need to cut soda at this stage in my life.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I googled 'Burgers Anonymous' and was just faced with more delicious meat.

:pervert:

Also In 'N 'Out is great, but the one close to me is still a roughly 20-25 minute round trip, and thats not counting the inevitable line. I'm in full blown midlife crisis and freaking out about wasted time, so I rarely make that drive anymore.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I made patty melts for dinner last night and the effort to outcome end result was a bit skewed for my liking. I spent a good amount of time caramelizing onions and using parchment paper to shape patties that included diced onion and ketchup in the meat (I used Bon Appetit's recipe and followed it). It probably took me a good hour to go starting to prepare ingredients to eating which is pretty hosed up for a burger. I love patty melts, but I need to just keep it simple or get them when I go out to eat

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Culvers is amazing.

I think too many people overlook the value argument of In-N-Out. I just explained this concept to a coworker.
They produce consistently delicious burgers, for like half the price of other comparable burger chains.

Look at it this way:
If you spend $20 at Five Guys you get a burger, fries, and a drink.
If you spend $20 at In-N-Out, you're going to hurt yourself.

Yeah, this is 100% the real deal. 20$ at in n out is like, 6 double cheese burgers, and they're all gonna be consistently pretty good. Even by goon standards, that's a lot of loving food and a great value.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Leal posted:

Yeah, I know its dumb to say considering well, burger. But I really need to cut soda at this stage in my life.

I can't imagine a burger without a hoppy beer. Mmmmm..

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
burgs aren't even that unhealthy t b h

it's a square meal, comes with a veg mom!!!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I’ll be honest, I generally don’t want more than one patty in my burg. It should be possible to have a bite with every separate ingredient without unhinging your jaw, snakelike.

E: unless they’re two very thin smashed burgs, and even then, I think, it’s a bit of a hard sell unless they’re properly crisped.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Eat This Glob posted:

I made patty melts for dinner last night and the effort to outcome end result was a bit skewed for my liking. I spent a good amount of time caramelizing onions and using parchment paper to shape patties that included diced onion and ketchup in the meat (I used Bon Appetit's recipe and followed it). It probably took me a good hour to go starting to prepare ingredients to eating which is pretty hosed up for a burger. I love patty melts, but I need to just keep it simple or get them when I go out to eat

We've all been there, so feel no shame. Few weeks ago I ground up a chuck roast combined with some sirloin, formed into 1/3' patties. And I packed/formed them, but not overworked them type of thing. Vacuum packed them, frozen them.

So dinner night. Yanked them out, thawed, threw them on the griddle. They broke slightly apart. But nothing a spatula and some cheese can't hide. Point is crap happens when cooking and don't beat yourself up on it.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I’m currently in Africa, ate at Carnivore which is like a Brazilian BBQ where they bring out skewers of meat and shave off stuff like crocodile and ostrich but actually kind of wanting a burger.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I've been ripping through those Costco frozen 1/3lb sirloin burgers. Super easy to make a burg whenever without needed to go get fresh beef. Not terrible either.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Moey posted:

I've been ripping through those Costco frozen 1/3lb sirloin burgers. Super easy to make a burg whenever without needed to go get fresh beef. Not terrible either.

These were a summer grilling staple in college. I lived in various apartments with 6+ buddies and throwing half a sleeve of these bad boys on the grill made for easy drunk stony burger times.

Also I went to shake shack for the first time. Made the mistake of only getting a single, but it was a pretty good burg.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Moey posted:

I don't know what it is about those patties but they're better than they have any right to be.
Thy're not amazing but they're def good for frozen beef.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

These were a summer grilling staple in college. I lived in various apartments with 6+ buddies and throwing half a sleeve of these bad boys on the grill made for easy drunk stony burger times.

Also I went to shake shack for the first time. Made the mistake of only getting a single, but it was a pretty good burg.

I still maintain that the best burger shake shack has isn't even a burger, its a mushroom sandwich.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
im a midwesterner who swears Culver supremacy in the regional burg game, but i thought In-and-Out was pretty great too, think its rated right where it oughta be

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Oh god yes. Always have a sleeve on hand and when one is sorta lazy and have a few spare buns or bread laying around you can crank something out. Have a bag or two of some frozen fries/tots to choose from. No shame in that...gotta make due.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I still maintain that the best burger shake shack has isn't even a burger, its a mushroom sandwich.

Agreed. Their mushroom burg is pretty good. Don’t be tempted to buy their fries, tho. Bad.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Back to Miss Kay's

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Double Bacon Bonanza with dirty fries at Roll & Rock American Diner in Bergen, Norway.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

evobatman posted:

Double Bacon Bonanza with dirty fries at Roll & Rock American Diner in Bergen, Norway.

What would that sit you back in Iceland?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
OK so in my last post I said that burg was one of the best three in town, and here's the second one:

...at a golf course bar/grill of all places. This is what I ate for lunch today. This photo makes it looks smaller than it is. Beef is great (just salty enough), bun is great (properly grilled), but their bacon cheeseburger really shines because of the bacon. They mince it up real fine and melt the cheese over it so it sort of fuses with the beef patty. The bacon is nice and smoky and there's a shitload of it. The fries are...okay. They're seasoned with salt & pepper, but they're not properly blanched, so they're not crisp at all. And they're cut too thick. Way too many local joints try to save money by cutting their own potatoes, but for whatever reason, none of them really know how to make french fries. This place used to have tots, but they took them off the menu. Fuckers.

The veggies come on the side so you can dress your own burger, which is also great. I can mayo my buns before everything else gets thrown on there. I think this was $10.99, with fries.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Lincoln posted:

but their bacon cheeseburger really shines because of the bacon. They mince it up real fine and melt the cheese over it so it sort of fuses with the beef patty. The bacon is nice and smoky and there's a shitload of it.

Uhh, gonna have to try this at home.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Colostomy Bag posted:

What would that sit you back in Iceland?

With a beer I paid $42.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Moey posted:

Uhh, gonna have to try this at home.

Yeah I have sincerely never thought of this.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
Lunch burg had components ranging from mediocre to "drat". Half pound of supermarket ground chuck, home-cured applewood smoked bacon, Sargento cheddar, caramelized onions, a few different varieties of homegrown lettuce, fresh picked heirloom tomato, Hellman's mayo, on a supermarket bakery kaiser. Burger grilled over lump charcoal. The overall combo was good, but the half pound was a mistake. Damnit, I had things to do today and now I can't move :(

JoshGuitar fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 12, 2019

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Y'all can hate on five guys all you want but, poo poo's good

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
it IS good, just massively overpriced for a fast casual burg

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Because I make poor life choices, I tried a Rebel Whopper from Hungry Jacks. The patty has a weird texture and a bland but weird taste (not reminiscent of meat, and a funky aftertaste that had me washing my mouth out a few times to get rid of ASAP). Has anyone tried it and compared to any of the other meatless burgers out there? I was hopeful that it would be a vaguely passable substitute for beef, since I eat a lot of it, but if that's indicative of how this tech is at the moment I'm out.

iajanus fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 12, 2019

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Your issue was going to Burger King.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

30 years of burging:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts0d7I6m7GE

I know what I'm eating tomorrow.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I went to one of the oldest fast food kiosks in town today. Ordered a double burger and french fries and a drink, a packet of milk. I think this is pretty representative of your average "classic" finnish fast food. Especially the packet of milk instead of soda.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I'd for sure go milk over pop.

Pop is only good when there is booze mixed in.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Break down that Finnish burg for us.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Nothing special, bread, two patties, sallad (napa cabbage mostly) and condiments (ketchup, dressing and maybe there was mustard too, not sure).

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Over hear we call that packet of milk a carton. Thanks for enlightening us.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I made burgers last night but forgot my phone at work so I couldn't take pictures.

Feels bad since I went all out and I built a pretty kick rear end burger cooking setup. Used my homemade 6 mm square pizza steel which covers half the stove as a giant griddle, I also bought this cast iron press a while ago but it's been too large to use with my pans. But now I was able to get some use out of it.

Made smash burgers on the griddle and using a pre-heated cast iron press instead of a spatula really makes a difference, cooks the burger from both sides and it's done real quick. That's how the local hole in the wall shops do it, always use a hot piece of metal on the patties. And since I had that retroburger I've realized I prefer napa/china cabbage on my burgers over iceberg lettuce, raw onions and pickle relish too.

The press also worked well for toasting bread quickly which I put between the hot spots of two plates where it was less hot. This is the way to properly make burgers in the future, but the pizza steel shape is not entirely optimal for fitting on my stove top and a slight lip would be good to keep grease from running over.

I'm wondering if I should go out into the shop and turn myself a round burger press on the lathe, so I have something I can use with my pans too. I don't have cast iron though only low carbon steel, but I think that should work quite well as that's what the pizza steel is as well. I also have aluminum which has good heat retention properties, but exposing food to raw aluminium, not sure that's a good idea.

Anyway since I have no pics to show, here's some pictures from a local burger joint that operates out of a converted caravan behind a car parts store a few kilometers from my house:

(not actually a burger)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Wow, that looks really delicious, despite the fact that I already had a burger today.

Went to Carl Jr because it's been over half a year since I was there last, and they had pastrami burger:

The criss-cut fries were way too salty, though. So I think it'll be a while before I go there again.