Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

mekyabetsu posted:

Also, it’s really, really hard to move from one first world country (kinda) to another unless you’re rich.

Ironically my paranoia about Bad Things Potentially Happening, that has hurt my quality of life in general, caused me to be hyper-focused on the real estate bubble and cash out in Spring 2018, right as the new left wing provincial government finally beat the broken electoral system in Canada and instituted sweeping foreign buyer and speculation taxes along with a money laundering crackdown.

This of course destroyed the local economy, since absurd cost of living from two decades of unchecked international money laundering had destroyed every sector that wasn't real estate-adjacent, but the situation was so bad that even property owners who had become multi-millionaires realised something had to be done after every non-boomer had left town just to be able to raise a family.

The way Vancouver was ravaged by essentially capitalism gone amok is horrific and widely unreported due to Canada's impressive ability to pretend nothing bad ever happens there.

Of course, I could only afford a lovely old suburban basement level condo in the first place because 1, I'm borderline generation X and bought in 2005, 2, I stumbled upon a girl who'd put up with my bullshit and also not want children and 3, she happened to have NZ citizenship, so we actually could gtfo.

Sadbrain millennials who didn't marry stable people with cute accents are hosed unless "the bank of mom and dad" gives them enough real estate profits to stay in town. That happened to my wife's best friend - she got $600,000 towards a place from her working class Latino immigrant parents when they cashed out and left. That only paid for half a townhouse in a bad neighbourhood, but she's able to stay in the town she called home.

Another long "posting at 5am because I can't sleep," diatribe, sorry.

UnfortunateSexFart has issued a correction as of 21:07 on Oct 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

i say swears online posted:

i wish i could get away from austin, it's become an expensive, cultureless hellhole.

In a year I've managed to actually make friends, get events going, get a nice apartment, and settle into a job I don't hate and I'm still seriously considering moving back to Louisville after a year or two.

I'm to the point where I hate and love the city at the same time, which is a huge step up, but you shouldn't stay somewhere you hate imo. Though grass is greener I guess

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Re: my last post, I think some Americans might read it and think "not about my country, not relevant to my life" but a country with unfathomable population and wealth is waking up from their "century of humiliation" and it is going to change everything in our lifetime. Vancouver may have been one of the first side effects, but when a country has seemingly infinite multi-millionaires, they will end up affecting your life eventually.

As you guys continue to degrade your international influence with each successive fascist/corrupt government, they continue to rise. It's only a matter of time before their international relations become a little more American-style, with economic, military and cultural dominance. If you think having your town gutted by Walmart/Amazon is bad, just wait until that revenue is syphoned outside of your country.

I say this not to encourage xenophobia or racism, but to plead with any Americans in swing states to please do anything you can to get Bernie elected. He's the only one who gets it. And this sub forum is one of the few places that knows that. The enemy is not the Chinese, it's unfettered capitalism. Your "inability to succeed" is not why you're miserable.

I understand those of you in California/NY probably feel as powerless as I do, I'm jealous of anyone who could potentially influence Bernie's chances. Republican/corporate Democrat damage isn't contained by your international borders, the rest of the western world - or at least the anglosphere - goes with you.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I am afraid America has ultimately learned very little over the last 3 years. There are simply too many people in this country whose world ends at the border of their respective "Possum Springs" and everything else simply exists to threaten their comfortable numbness. Too many people who can't see people outside their respective Dunbar's Numbers as being real, just shadows on the periphery. Too many people who got theirs or think they got theirs and will protect it at any and all cost. America is too large. We arn't united, we never were. The message Bernie brings would require a unified populace to enact, and many more people like Bernie. Bernie is a stopgap. He's the guy who will replace RBG in the supreme court with an appointee with something approximating a soul. He will have to fight against a collective will of selfishness and hatred to keep the lights on until AOC's generation come of age and the boomers are reaped. And this is the best case scenario. I don't think we're headed to a best case scenario.

To tie this into my own behavioral health: The world makes hope feel like a lie. I am a definite doomsayer. If anybody can give me anything to dissuade this notion I will be appreciative.

ChrisBTY has issued a correction as of 05:47 on Oct 5, 2019

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

ChrisBTY posted:

I am afraid America has ultimately learned very little over the last 3 years. There are simply too many people in this country whose world ends at the border of their respective "Possum Springs" and everything else simply exists to threaten their comfortable numbness. Too many people who can't see people outside their respective Dunbar's Numbers as being real, just shadows on the periphery. Too many people who got theirs or think they got theirs and will protect it at any and all cost. America is too large. We arn't united, we never were. The message Bernie brings would require a unified populace to enact, and many more people like Bernie. Bernie is a stopgap. He's the guy who will replace RBS in the supreme court with an appointee with something approximating a soul. He will have to fight against a collective will of selfishness and hatred to keep the lights on until AOC's generation come of age and the boomers are reaped. And this is the best case scenario. I don't think we're headed to a best case scenario.

To tie this into my own behavioral health: The world makes hope feel like a lie. I am a definite doomsayer. If anybody can give me anything to dissuade this notion I will be appreciative.

I agree with all of this, just trying to cling on to some hope.

At least America has a potential genuine progressive option, Canada and Australia have nothing. I hate that I had to vote for that fake rear end neolib Trudeau just to keep conservatives out of power.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

I dont know. Bernie could win and a thousand clones of him could win in state and local races across the country, but the 40% of this country who support bigotry and fascism arent going anywhere. The small degree of faith I had in the fundamental goodness of the people in this country is gone. I honestly dont think we can come back from this.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
maybe this should be the mental health and depression thread and not the 82nd discuss bernie thread.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Impermanent posted:

maybe this should be the mental health and depression thread and not the 82nd discuss bernie thread.

Politics and mental health are always linked. That was my original point. Feel free to talk about whatever you like.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

I dont mean to bring anyones mood down. I just cant stop thinking about this poo poo. :(

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
An old friend who I got back in touch with recently has been helping me work through some stuff with the whole being a lady thing that I didn't do last time I came out and I think is why I went back in the closet but anyway she sent me some goofy light novels a friend of hers wrote about Gender Feels and they're so sweet and wholesome and I'm such a miserable weirdo and they are absolutely loving me up

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
hey thread. Ive been worried about all of you lately :smith:

even if things are horrible for the foreseeable future there are still nice things to do. try to treat yourself to something nice this weekend. go to an art museum, walk in a park, or just buy yourself an ice cream cone. you deserve it for dealing with Hell world

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Im doing an archery today, Im moving back to 11.5 meters and going up a level of grip :hellyeah:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

fully parallel cat

:razzy:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

An old friend who I got back in touch with recently has been helping me work through some stuff with the whole being a lady thing that I didn't do last time I came out and I think is why I went back in the closet but anyway she sent me some goofy light novels a friend of hers wrote about Gender Feels and they're so sweet and wholesome and I'm such a miserable weirdo and they are absolutely loving me up

To wit

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Yer a good poster chokes :unsmith:

I also advocate archery, something about the repetition of actions is really calming for me, and it's something I can go do alone or on a range so social anxiety stuff doesn't get in the way

Recently my general self care and general routine management have gone to hell cause a probable Lyme disease infection is kicking the absolute poo poo out of me meaning I can't do much of anything at all- been trying my hand at some woodwork/carpentry though, that's been quite satisfying and very low energy

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Today was one of the first days I woke up alone and felt ok with it. It's finally cool and crisp out, so I went for a run and got a book at the library. I'm learning to be ok with being alone and not afraid of my thoughts and it's cool.

Chokes, the archery thing is so cool. I used to live in Austin and always liked the offbeat things like that that are there just out of sight.

Benghazi 2, the gender stuff also rules. I hope you have a lovely time exploring it and that your therapist is chill (spoiler alert: they will be :) )

As always, I am grateful for the community in this thread and in cspam. Yes I will pull up to the next window no I do not want to supersize the Coke.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

Benghazi 2, the gender stuff also rules. I hope you have a lovely time exploring it and that your therapist is chill (spoiler alert: they will be :) )

The thing I've been working through with my friends help has been that like, there is going to be a moment where my therapist goes "well what brought this on" or something similar and I don't have a good answer for that? And I know there are a lot of people who don't have things they can point to that are like ah yes I was girl all along, who just got "yeah I needed a change and this felt like the right one and it was". A mutual friend of ours literally transitioned because they were grousing about something related and someone joked about how there's pills for that and that was their trigger to make that change and be happier

But knowing that and internalizing that my experience is valid are WILDLY different things and I'm stuck on number two

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The thing I've been working through with my friends help has been that like, there is going to be a moment where my therapist goes "well what brought this on" or something similar and I don't have a good answer for that? And I know there are a lot of people who don't have things they can point to that are like ah yes I was girl all along, who just got "yeah I needed a change and this felt like the right one and it was". A mutual friend of ours literally transitioned because they were grousing about something related and someone joked about how there's pills for that and that was their trigger to make that change and be happier

But knowing that and internalizing that my experience is valid are WILDLY different things and I'm stuck on number two

Yeah, I don't mean to minimize that at all! I just mean that your therapist will be happy to help guide you through it. I know what you mean about the gap between knowing and internalizing something though....it's hard. It rules that you have friends who are there as resources for this.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

Today was one of the first days I woke up alone and felt ok with it. It's finally cool and crisp out, so I went for a run and got a book at the library. I'm learning to be ok with being alone and not afraid of my thoughts and it's cool.

Always nice to see things improving for people in the thread. Keep going friends, you're doing great :)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Lol no I'm still a miserable weirdo with a lovely job I just get brief moments of joy out of having my experience validated

But also a goon in the LAN thread for my area knows someone looking for an entry level IT person and I sent them my resume which is entirely retail but gently caress it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

probably a good place to ask: what's the best gig economy app? i'd prefer delivery to ride-sharing since i'm too depressed to keep my car clean

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

probably a good place to ask: what's the best gig economy app? i'd prefer delivery to ride-sharing since i'm too depressed to keep my car clean

I've had friends who worked for Bitesquad and didn't seem to hate it. Never tried myself though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Stealing.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

for maybe two years i shoplifted all my food until i got caught. now it's just one item per trip

this time it was a small block of romano and i just made the best alfredo ever

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

worked bite squad on my bicycle for a while and it was pretty good, just go sit at restaurant, get good, ride around, drop off food, sometimes get paid to wait half an hour on something to be cooked and then an hour for the customer to actually make it to where they said they were going to be

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
a classmate does postmates, she didnt say how good it was tho

also i was feelin pretty poo poo this morning since it seems like a girl is ghosting me and all i did was ask her to a movie sometime this month

oh well, i like her but its her loss

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I don't even get ghosted anymore.
I just get cricketed.
That feeling when you send somebody a message and all you hear in reply is crickets.
Got cricketed once this week and a second one...well the crickets are warming up their legs.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my grandfather has that.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Chokes McGee posted:

hey thread. I’ve been worried about all of you lately :smith:

even if things are horrible for the foreseeable future there are still nice things to do. try to treat yourself to something nice this weekend. go to an art museum, walk in a park, or just buy yourself an ice cream cone. you deserve it for dealing with Hell world

Reading the mental health thread from the beach while eating quesadillas. Life isn't so bad, despite not being able to sleep for three days straight.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
eh better to stop freaking out in public

SunAndSpring has issued a correction as of 07:54 on Oct 7, 2019

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Reading the mental health thread from the beach while eating quesadillas. Life isn't so bad, despite not being able to sleep for three days straight.

baja?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Close, southeast Australia. :)

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
I found out I can get compensation if I do therapy for PTSD, and I'm quite tempted to do so

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

twoday posted:

I found out I can get compensation if I do therapy for PTSD, and I'm quite tempted to do so

What, how

I want in

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
If you have PTSD you should be in therapy regardless :glomp:

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Goon Danton posted:

What, how

I want in

not an empty quote

Flavius Aetass posted:

yeah but usually they charge you a bunch of money i dont have, but if theyll give me money hell yeah

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah it's pretty sad and complicating to various brain things that i've always viewed mental health as something that's only for rich people

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Flavius Aetass posted:

can confirm

i keep wanting to go to therapy more but my schedule changes every week, i dont get more than 3 days notice before the new week starts and my cash flow doesnt exist

living flying by the seams of my skirt is exhausting but if i had reliable structure id be bored

ultimately mental health is a land of contrasts, namaste yall~

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

yeah it's pretty sad and complicating to various brain things that i've always viewed mental health as something that's only for rich people

idk where you live but most cities in the states have at least one place with a sliding scale. if they didnt i wouldnt be able to afford it at all (as opposed to only occasionally when i can save up)

not sad tho bc yr not wrong per se, but i def feel how it can be complicating. yr feelings are real and there are folx out there who want to help, go find them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok, one thing I will give Amer...Massachusetts for.
My disabled rear end gets a full ride on medical stuff.
Which is good; because I have a lot of medical stuff.
If I was some dude paying a 200$ copay for lab work I'd be pretty resentful of me too.