Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I get that, and Robert being a massive technophobe is why it's even possible, at all, that it could have happened in the Chalet Picard. It's just...I mean, Earth in TNG days is basically magical space utopia, it's surrounded by satellites and starships and sensor nets, it's the seat of the Federation's government, as well as Starfleet's, and it prides itself on being Paradise, where no one wants, or fears, or suffers, or dies in a house fire.

The fire actually isn't described at all in Generations. I found the scene on youtube where Picard flips through the photo album and tearfully tells Troi about it, and literally all he says is that Robert and Rene "burned to death in a fire". We've all been assuming that means the house at the vineyard burned down, but for all we know they drunkenly staggered into a bonfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

bennyfactor posted:

The idea of an old school Warbird from the rubble of the Romulan Empire showing up is pretty cool, although I hope that's not the final CGI pass.

I'll bite, I've stared at it for like a minute and can't see anything wrong with it. What's your problem with the effects?

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Powered Descent posted:

The fire actually isn't described at all in Generations. I found the scene on youtube where Picard flips through the photo album and tearfully tells Troi about it, and literally all he says is that Robert and Rene "burned to death in a fire". We've all been assuming that means the house at the vineyard burned down, but for all we know they drunkenly staggered into a bonfire.

I saw this happen to some dude while playing RDR2 last night. I got too close to his campsite, he got up to tell me to go away and took a step forward into his own campfire and burned to death.

I could totally see Robert doing this.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

In Enterprise, there is a point where Daniels tells Archer that in the 27th century or something the Klingons join the UFP

Also I just remembered Daniels is from the 31st Century where The Federation still exists and is doing fine. Apparently Discovery is now in the 32nd. What the hell happened in 100 years to cause the situation the Federation is in, or are they just going to ignore that despite being "nah we're totally being canonical" :v:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Angry_Ed posted:

Also I just remembered Daniels is from the 31st Century where The Federation still exists and is doing fine. Apparently Discovery is now in the 32nd. What the hell happened in 100 years to cause the situation the Federation is in, or are they just going to ignore that despite being "nah we're totally being canonical" :v:

I thought that timeline, where the Federation is in a war with the sphere builders for ages, doesn't happen because of our heroes stopping the sphere builders' evil scheme.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Angry_Ed posted:

Turns out Archer should have taken that Temporal Cold War more seriously.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

marktheando posted:

I thought that timeline, where the Federation is in a war with the sphere builders for ages, doesn't happen because of our heroes stopping the sphere builders' evil scheme.

No, the sphere builder timeline is a different one from Daniels' future.

But yeah I'd imagine that Disco's just going to ignore all the future stuff; IE Starfleet running full-blown timeships like Aeon and Relativity in the 29th century and apparently being totally fine in the 31st.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think we briefly see a ruined 31st century in a possible timeline where Archer fails

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

MikeJF posted:

It's not, at least according to memory alpha. The federation defeats the sphere builders in the 26th century, in the original timeline. Then thanks to Archer's shenanigans, they are defeated way earlier and the expanse is safe, the spheres destroyed.

MikeJF posted:

But yeah I'd imagine that Disco's just going to ignore all the future stuff; IE Starfleet running full-blown timeships like Aeon and Relativity in the 29th century and apparently being totally fine in the 31st.

Yeah this is the real answer. Double checking the sphere builders thing and the memory alpha page on alternate timelines is so, so long.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Alternate_timeline

With all that timeline fuckery really anything goes.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think we briefly see a ruined 31st century in a possible timeline where Archer fails

Yes Daniels takes Archer to the future and accidentally destroys his own civilisation because it's now a timeline where Archer vanished

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

marktheando posted:

It's not, at least according to memory alpha. The federation defeats the sphere builders in the 26th century, in the original timeline. Then thanks to Archer's shenanigans, they are defeated way earlier and the expanse is safe, the spheres destroyed.

Oh, yeah, you're right.

Either way, though, I'm pretty sure Daniel's Federation's future was stated to be safe regardless after the Expanse was eliminated early.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 6, 2019

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah, just because they say this is the prime universe's future doesn't mean that can't be ignored by future Trek stuff if they want. Trek has enough timeline fuckery to justify whatever you want to do with the setting.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, just because they say this is the prime universe's future doesn't mean that can't be ignored by future Trek stuff if they want. Trek has enough timeline fuckery to justify whatever you want to do with the setting.

True, but it's probably less likely to be ignored now that Discovery's staying here. If this is basically the full blown setting of a series rather than a one-off 'future' plotline it'll probably be respected.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

davidspackage posted:

It still kind of hurts to hear how tired PatStew sounds.

Riker and Troi got me giddy again. I kind of suspect we'll be spending a lot more time than expected with the new characters, but whatevs.

edit: if it's blocked for you as well:

https://twitter.com/SirPatStew/status/1180551476604805121?s=19

That painting is crying out for a jandrew edit...

Also dat TOS Bird of Prey :swoon:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

marktheando posted:

Yes Daniels takes Archer to the future and accidentally destroys his own civilisation because it's now a timeline where Archer vanished

I enjoy how deeply stupid that whole thing was, it just paints Daniels as an incompetent buffoon. However, I actually genuinely like Enterprise, warts and all. The Temporal Cold War stuff was a fun idea that they bungled, really.

Like, imagine one day some guy with nutso future tech shows up and tells you that you're important to history and he's here to stop plots against you which will be hatched 400 years in the future. That's a pretty neat hook for a story. They just didn't really know what else to do with it until Space 9/11.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

They just didn't really know what else to do with it until Space 9/11.

God, the “yeehaw USA :911:“ that permeated TV and movies between 2001 and 2006 is just going to keep aging more and more poorly.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Pick posted:

I think it's a roundabout way to make it clear that anyone who cares that much is a psycho. It hasn't aged well but the RLM reviews are still really funny and I will probably always find them funny.

It also shows that the RLM crew can make a more compelling, complex story about the relationship between a serial killer and one of his victims than Lucas could with Anakin and Padme. They're not just critics, they're filmmakers in their own (small) way. You can question the creative direction, but they made a pretty decent story about a serial killer. It's just that there's a reason why stories about serial killers aren't usually told from the killer's POV. You have to be on Hannibal's tier for that to work.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

mllaneza posted:

It also shows that the RLM crew can make a more compelling, complex story about the relationship between a serial killer and one of his victims than Lucas could with Anakin and Padme. They're not just critics, they're filmmakers in their own (small) way. You can question the creative direction, but they made a pretty decent story about a serial killer. It's just that there's a reason why stories about serial killers aren't usually told from the killer's POV. You have to be on Hannibal's tier for that to work.

hannibal the guy or hannibal the live-action yaoi with laurence fishburne

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Astroman posted:

That painting is crying out for a jandrew edit...

Also dat TOS Bird of Prey :swoon:
That's the most confusing thing to me, like why would that ship still be around in the 2390s

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

bennyfactor posted:

The idea of an old school Warbird from the rubble of the Romulan Empire showing up is pretty cool, although I hope that's not the final CGI pass.

It almost certainly isn't, and I'm also jazzed to see that design again.

Pick posted:

hannibal the guy or hannibal the live-action yaoi with laurence fishburne

The latter.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

FlamingLiberal posted:

That's the most confusing thing to me, like why would that ship still be around in the 2390s

If the Empire is falling apart, they're probably pulling whatever ships they can out of mothballs, ancient or not. Alternatively, if the Empire is gone entirely then there's probably no one left to keep old military hardware from getting snatched and repurposed by whoever can break the locks.

They probably aren't that much older than the Mirandas or K'Tingas that were still flying around shooting poo poo/getting shot to poo poo during the Dominion War.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Tighclops posted:

Spock particles

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finished Voyager, gently caress this last episode for making it canon that Janeway hates coffee. How many people died in nebulas so she could have coffee?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Had to be done.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

MikeJF posted:

I bet they're just going to rip off Year of Hell but for a whole season for real this time. 12 episodes (or whatever) figuring out what in the last 1000 years caused the Federation to fall.

And then a big ol' reset button smash at the end. poof none of this happened

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

FuturePastNow posted:

I bet they're just going to rip off Year of Hell but for a whole season for real this time.

Does this mean we'll be able to finally put to bed this idea that a whole season/show of Year of Hell would be good?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

FuturePastNow posted:

I bet they're just going to rip off Year of Hell but for a whole season for real this time. 12 episodes (or whatever) figuring out what in the last 1000 years caused the Federation to fall.

And then a big ol' reset button smash at the end. poof none of this happened

I think the reset button will be contingent upon fan reaction on Reddit or whatever.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Fornax Disaster posted:

I saw this happen to some dude while playing RDR2 last night. I got too close to his campsite, he got up to tell me to go away and took a step forward into his own campfire and burned to death.

I could totally see Robert doing this.

Robert, you're on fire.

Ohh! I'm on "fire", am I? Well, let me tell you something my high and mighty brother once aghhhh

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheezle posted:

Had to be done.

:lol: at them having to jack up the TNG-era uniform collar because of Spiner's neck droop. Also, what the gently caress is going on with his wig?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Like, imagine one day some guy with nutso future tech shows up and tells you that you're important to history and he's here to stop plots against you which will be hatched 400 years in the future. That's a pretty neat hook for a story. They just didn't really know what else to do with it until Space 9/11.
What if it's some rear end in a top hat from New Jersey who stole Buckaroo Banzai's time pod and is here to steal Data?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I enjoy how deeply stupid that whole thing was, it just paints Daniels as an incompetent buffoon. However, I actually genuinely like Enterprise, warts and all. The Temporal Cold War stuff was a fun idea that they bungled, really.

It would've been a fine idea for a new next generation series to run with, but for the much-vaunted prequel it was a terrible idea, it compromised the idea of it being the prequel from day one.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Timby posted:

:lol: at them having to jack up the TNG-era uniform collar because of Spiner's neck droop. Also, what the gently caress is going on with his wig?

in picard's dream realm, all full heads of hair look ridiculous

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

I see those wee scamps over at Axanar are up to their monkey shines again. Bet CBS is overjoyed!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Trickjaw posted:

I see those wee scamps over at Axanar are up to their monkey shines again. Bet CBS is overjoyed!

They actually shipped physical rewards recently. The ship patches are nice.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Trickjaw posted:

Apparently they live in some alternate universe where there are no fan film guidelines and they can literally just do whatever they want. So they basically ruined it for everyone except them.

I hope they spend years making 6 episodes and CBS sues the everliving poo poo out of them and they are forbidden from any of the episodes seeing the light of day.

Wheezle posted:

Had to be done.

:golfclap:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I laughed at the Vasquez Rocks cameo in the Picard trailer!

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

davidspackage posted:

It still kind of hurts to hear how tired PatStew sounds.

Riker and Troi got me giddy again. I kind of suspect we'll be spending a lot more time than expected with the new characters, but whatevs.

edit: if it's blocked for you as well:

https://twitter.com/SirPatStew/status/1180551476604805121?s=19

Jan 23 is my birthday, thanks for this great gift, Star Trek!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

davidspackage posted:

I kind of suspect we'll be spending a lot more time than expected with the new characters, but whatevs.

I'm honestly going to be surprised if there isn't another character amongst the new cast who is a Picard giving the show an out if Stewart doesn't return.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Rene survived the fire and joined Section 31

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

lol they do the Great Glass Elevator thing again in the new Short Trek, except this time it's explicitly the Enterprise :rolleyes:

e: wrong Trek thread but it's still dumb