Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Is there a similar thread for this sort of thing dedicated to arcade controllers? Like in the games sub forum or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Is there a similar thread for this sort of thing dedicated to arcade controllers? Like in the games sub forum or something?

The FGC thread works for this: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3772278

But honestly fight sticks are at least an order of magnitude simpler than keyboards. It's usually like: Buy PCB, Buy and hook up buttons and stick to the right connectors. Profit. Get Sanwa buttons.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

SoftNum posted:

The FGC thread works for this: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3772278

But honestly fight sticks are at least an order of magnitude simpler than keyboards. It's usually like: Buy PCB, Buy and hook up buttons and stick to the right connectors. Profit. Get Sanwa buttons.

Or combine your loves and buy the OBS-MX buttons. Which use any MX compatible keyboard switch.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Was pretty surprised when I pulled apart a sanwa clone button and it had some kinda alps clone switch

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

There is some hype for buttons that use cherry switches, like these.

e: missed EVGA's post, these are what they mentioned

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Not really much of a joystick building crowd in SA, but the FGC thread has some for sure. You'll likely find more info in the SRK's dead tech talk forums: https://forums.shoryuken.com/c/tech-talk

While it's true that joysticks are way simpler than keyboards, the custom keyboard community is mostly just buying parts and putting stuff together like Legos + some soldering.

People with custom joysticks are more likely to build the case from scratch. Though things are a lot simpler now with custom multi-console PCB's (no need for padhacking, etc.) and pre-made cases as well. The customization part now is mostly just stick art and weirdos who add a bat top to Japanese sticks.

I'm thinking of trying to put together a stick with OBS-MX's with Kailh clickbar switches.

Constellation I fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 1, 2019

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Any good numpads with cherry switches? Closest match to a pok3r would own.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Any good numpads with cherry switches? Closest match to a pok3r would own.

The Ducky Pocket is a good bet.

eta: If you want a more no-frills option from another reputable name, here's the Filco Majestouch Numpad.

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 2, 2019

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Constellation I posted:

Not really much of a joystick building crowd in SA, but the FGC thread has some for sure. You'll likely find more info in the SRK's dead tech talk forums: https://forums.shoryuken.com/c/tech-talk

While it's true that joysticks are way simpler than keyboards, the custom keyboard community is mostly just buying parts and putting stuff together like Legos + some soldering.

People with custom joysticks are more likely to build the case from scratch. Though things are a lot simpler now with custom multi-console PCB's (no need for padhacking, etc.) and pre-made cases as well. The customization part now is mostly just stick art and weirdos who add a bat top to Japanese sticks.

I'm thinking of trying to put together a stick with OBS-MX's with Kailh clickbar switches.

I replaced the buttons in my stock with OBS-MX with blues. They’re nice, thinking about replacing with Navy’s or Jades soon.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

The Ducky Pocket is a good bet.

eta: If you want a more no-frills option from another reputable name, here's the Filco Majestouch Numpad.

Filco will do it. TY :tipshat:

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Looks like mainstream gaming keyboard brands are finally now getting into hotswap sockets.

https://www.logitechg.com/en-ca/products/gaming-keyboards/pro-x-gaming-keyboard.html

It's too bad that Logitech was pretty lazy with this / want to re-use as many parts as possible for profit margins.

- non-standard bottom row
- same thin ABS keycaps
- same reinforced micro USB cable they use on all their mice and keyboards (and some subwoofers lol)
- exact same case as the Logitech Pro

It's using what they call GX switches, which look to be the standard Kailh switches (i.e. non-box). If they're at all like the re-tooled standard Kailh switches, then they're pretty good since I'd rate the tactility of the retooled Kailh browns to be the most tactile and heaviest among the browns out there. Hopefully it's that and not Kailh's old stock that Logitech found a stockpile of somewhere.

I guess it's good to see the mainstream companies trending towards hotswappability. But this just seems like a more expensive GMMK with a non-standard bottom row and no barebones option.

Also, while I like Logitech's gaming software since it seemed to be the one with the least amount of bloat and issues (gently caress you Corsair and Razer). I was unaware that Logitech has actually been pushing their new software called Logitech G Hub for quite some time now, which unfortunately seems to be pretty buggy as well.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Constellation I posted:

Looks like mainstream gaming keyboard brands are finally now getting into hotswap sockets.

https://www.logitechg.com/en-ca/products/gaming-keyboards/pro-x-gaming-keyboard.html

It's too bad that Logitech was pretty lazy with this / want to re-use as many parts as possible for profit margins.

- non-standard bottom row
- same thin ABS keycaps
- same reinforced micro USB cable they use on all their mice and keyboards (and some subwoofers lol)
- exact same case as the Logitech Pro

It's using what they call GX switches, which look to be the standard Kailh switches (i.e. non-box). If they're at all like the re-tooled standard Kailh switches, then they're pretty good since I'd rate the tactility of the retooled Kailh browns to be the most tactile and heaviest among the browns out there. Hopefully it's that and not Kailh's old stock that Logitech found a stockpile of somewhere.

I guess it's good to see the mainstream companies trending towards hotswappability. But this just seems like a more expensive GMMK with a non-standard bottom row and no barebones option.

Also, while I like Logitech's gaming software since it seemed to be the one with the least amount of bloat and issues (gently caress you Corsair and Razer). I was unaware that Logitech has actually been pushing their new software called Logitech G Hub for quite some time now, which unfortunately seems to be pretty buggy as well.

Are those gateron switches?

:flaccid:

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Standard Kailh switches (you know, the Cherry MX Blue, Red, Brown clones, non BOX). But not sure if it's the new re-tooled ones which I quite like or their older ones which gave them a terrible reputation in the first place.

I don't imagine they have much stock of their older switches around, but you never know.

mewse
May 2, 2006

OK bright side is if they're using kailh switches, the kailh hot swap sockets are best in class IMO. But yeah still seems like a overpriced GMMK

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Best in class IMO is Mill-Max sockets, but you know :effort: with all the one-time soldering.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Constellation I posted:

Best in class IMO is Mill-Max sockets, but you know :effort: with all the one-time soldering.

I'm gonna learn how fun that is, if this Lumina thing ever gets delivered

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Constellation I posted:

I don't know about their keyboard specific stuff but they make top-notch sockets for IC chips.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

I'm gonna learn how fun that is, if this Lumina thing ever gets delivered

My main method is:

1. Prop PCB up on something
2. Place all the sockets in all through holes for one row
3. Use one long strip of electrical tape on top of the PCB to secure the sockets in place
4. Flip PCB upside down and solder in place
5. Repeat for each row

Or you could use multiple strips of electrical tape for each row and do it all in one go.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Constellation I posted:

My main method is:

1. Prop PCB up on something
2. Place all the sockets in all through holes for one row
3. Use one long strip of electrical tape on top of the PCB to secure the sockets in place
4. Flip PCB upside down and solder in place
5. Repeat for each row

Or you could use multiple strips of electrical tape for each row and do it all in one go.

Thanks! This sounds like it should work pretty well. I'm thinking of getting some kind of Helping Hands thing to hold the PCB for me. Last time I tried propping up a PCB (it was only an 8-switch macropad), it slipped all over the place. I was using something stupid like books with glossy covers, though

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I honestly just used like 4 rubber erasers lol

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Is there any reason not to use a non standard bottom row on keyboards? I have a Logitech keyboard with cherry Mx reds that I don’t use because I can’t get any replacement caps for it unless I order abs caps from Logitech itself for 50 dollars Canadian. I rather put that toward a set of double shot pbt because there is nothing wrong with the keyboard itself other than the caps are completely worn out.

It’s not like they are going to keep me in the ecosystem or anything because they are loving key caps.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Many gaming keyboards actually have a hardware switch to disable the Windows/Menu keys. The gaming bottom row shrinks those keys to the minimum possible size while expanding the modifier keys since people actually use those in games.

For reasons I don't understand, the custom keycap community seems to have a grudge against the gamer keyboards. It is more likely that a set of keycaps is offered with an addon pack to fit an Ergodox than for some of the most common mechanical keyboards on the market.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

wolrah posted:

For reasons I don't understand, the custom keycap community seems to have a grudge against the gamer keyboards. It is more likely that a set of keycaps is offered with an addon pack to fit an Ergodox than for some of the most common mechanical keyboards on the market.

How are gaming keyboard caps any different than a regular keyboard? The Ergodox is probably one of the most popular splits, and lots of the keys can be used for other odd keyboards so it sort of makes sense.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Gamers are unlikely to buy the $100+ keycap sets being sold, so the keycap makers don't often bother with the different variations of the bottom row. They'll likely get more sales from ISO layout, Ergodox users, etc. Most of these sets are one-off runs or collaborations with various factories, designers, etc. so they have to make sure their profit margin makes sense and don't make addon sets that are left unsold.

The cheaper keycap sets (often in OEM profile) do offer gaming keyboard sets, which sort of makes sense since they're mostly bought to replace the broken keycaps that came stock with the keyboard.

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Is there any reason not to use a non standard bottom row on keyboards? I have a Logitech keyboard with cherry Mx reds that I don’t use because I can’t get any replacement caps for it unless I order abs caps from Logitech itself for 50 dollars Canadian. I rather put that toward a set of double shot pbt because there is nothing wrong with the keyboard itself other than the caps are completely worn out.

It’s not like they are going to keep me in the ecosystem or anything because they are loving key caps.

These are a good choice, assuming you still need it backlit. If you have one of those Logitech keyboards with the really short spacebar though, you might be out of luck, but this has the typical gamer bottom row.

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1329

Constellation I fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 5, 2019

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I'm thinking of getting an ergodox ez (I had a Microsoft Sculpt keyboard so am confident that the tenting and split parts will work for me). I'm a bit concerned about how much noise cherry silent reds will make in it though as I'll be working in a co-working space - they sound quite loud on YouTube but it's hard to tell. How do they compare to a laptop keyboard?

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

pointsofdata posted:

I'm thinking of getting an ergodox ez (I had a Microsoft Sculpt keyboard so am confident that the tenting and split parts will work for me). I'm a bit concerned about how much noise cherry silent reds will make in it though as I'll be working in a co-working space - they sound quite loud on YouTube but it's hard to tell. How do they compare to a laptop keyboard?

Noise is highly dependent on typing technique. Even with a quiet technique mechanical switches will probably always be louder than a laptop keyboard.

That said, cherry silent reds are pretty quiet and don't feel all that bad either. I would probably feel like I wasn't being an rear end in a top hat for using them in a shared workspace. You can talk with your colleagues and see if they are bothered.

Also, be aware that the ergodox is really huge, especially the thumb cluster. It's really only ideal if you have large hands. I used to use a Microsoft Sculpt (which was fine) and I couldn't use an ergodox for more than an hour or so without serious thumb pain from stretching to reach the cluster.

The ez is also a bit overpriced for the build quality imo. It's kinda plasticy and cheap, but it's fine if you can't/don't want to build your own (it is a niche product after all). The hollow plasticyness can affect the sound though. You may be able to put foam inside or something to dampen it a bit.

AbsoluteLlama fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 6, 2019

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Noise is highly dependent on typing technique. Even with a quiet technique mechanical switches will probably always be louder than a laptop keyboard.

That said, cherry silent reds are pretty quiet and don't feel all that bad either. I would probably feel like I wasn't being an rear end in a top hat for using them in a shared workspace. You can talk with your colleagues and see if they are bothered.

Also, be aware that the ergodox is really huge, especially the thumb cluster. It's really only ideal if you have large hands. I used to use a Microsoft Sculpt (which was fine) and I couldn't use an ergodox for more than an hour or so without serious thumb pain from stretching to reach the cluster.

The ez is also a bit overpriced for the build quality imo. It's kinda plasticy and cheap, but it's fine if you can't/don't want to build your own (it is a niche product after all). The hollow plasticyness can affect the sound though. You may be able to put foam inside or something to dampen it a bit.

Thanks, especially for the size stuff - I've been doing some research and am building a parts list for a Iris build now ...

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I have silent reds in my board, and they're definitely quieter than the Dell pack-in poo poo keyboards we had at my previous job. Your co-workers should be fine.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

pointsofdata posted:

Thanks, especially for the size stuff - I've been doing some research and am building a parts list for a Iris build now ...

The Iris is a really great first QMK ortho split. I very much recommend it over an ergodox especially since it's probably half the price.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Constellation I posted:

These are a good choice, assuming you still need it backlit. If you have one of those Logitech keyboards with the really short spacebar though, you might be out of luck, but this has the typical gamer bottom row.

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1329

The only issue from researching the situation is that this is a 5.75u space and everyone one else uses 6, 6.25 or 6.50. Also the cap locks is one of their own design as well so I would never be able to get a whole set to work with it. This is already on top of the bottom row with unique sizes already. It's not a big deal as the board is giving out and I wanted to used it on my home pc and move my ducky to work. I'm just going to save up for a new keyboard with mx cherry red.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Hello, thread.

After happily using some cheapo mx blue knockoff keyboard at home and at my previous job, which, frankly, was surprisingly decent, I found out that I like my current coworkers enough to spare them from the noise of blues.

After looking at the options, I decided to go with Leopold FC660M with clears, in a gaudy color:

This is my first time using clear, and also the first time using 60%
I find the feeling of clears very nice, and I find out that I almost don't bottom out at all. Also, getting used to 60% isn't a problem so far, and if I really need the numpad, well, I use laptop at work anyway, so I can just use the numpad there.

I had some trouble finding a retailer that delivers to Serbia with reasonable shipping prices, but Candy Keys got me covered there.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Clears are my favorite switches.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Clears are my favorite switches.

:yeah:

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
They're quickly becoming my favourite, too.

Chamook
Nov 17, 2006

wheeeeeeeeeeeeee
I had clears in my ergodox, but they were too heavy for my puny fingers so I swapped them out with Hako Violets which feel much nicer to me (but are also slightly louder)

mewse
May 2, 2006

My SA dolch spacebar is developing shine ;_;

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Thems the ABS breaks, I'm afraid. Embrace the shiny life

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Man, Niz just released a new 60% keyboard, Atom 68, which is a better fit for me than the two of their boards I bought last year (Atom 66 & Micro 82). I think it's a Micro 82 with the function row removed (82 - 14 keys in function row = 68). All keys are standard sizes so you can swap them out at will, just like on the Micro 82. Looks like Niz has learned that this is valuable to many folks in the community.

Here's a bad picture of it:

Kinda bummed on the timing as I got the Micro 82 just a month ago, but the extra function keys on that could be good for gaming. I guess I need to sell that Atom66 and a Filco Majestouch Ninja 2 (MX Blues) before picking up one of these, too many keyboards starting to pile up when you add in the 3 ortho split boards I also got in the last year (Corne, Helix, Chimera Ergo).

I went from running a Kinesis Advantage for 11+ years to that Filco for 5 years to getting 5 keyboards just in the last year. This has rapidly gone from a hobby to a problem, but a fun one to have.

E: Better picture next to a Leopold FC660C for comparison: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/dg32n7/niz_atom68_2019_btnon_rgb/

v1ld fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 13, 2019

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

My first SA set (Leviathan) came in. The ergo set has no legends, how am I supposed to figure out what’s an R2 and what’s an R4 key? They look completely the same to me (except R4 is upside down)...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

That is exactly correct. Sculpted SA R2 and R4 are exactly the same, with the only difference being the orientation the legend. Since your set has no legends, you don't have to worry about which keycap you put in R2 or R4. There should be enough to cover all you need.