Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

C.M. Kruger posted:

Scaled for population.

Not to mention that large swaths of red have literally nobody living in them.

As I said it's an issue of cities vs. rural areas being politically and socially disconnected (even though we're interdependent on everything else) if not in direct opposition. The cartogram distorted for population is a great way to visualize it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Smiling Jack posted:

honestly as long as maggots aren't crawling out of your kids diaper and he isn't covered in cigarette burns or you didn't beat up your own kid and then drag him to the playground to fight another four year old in front of an approving crowd and your kids actually fed you're doing better than a lot of parents

Hey this is the logic my mom used to convince me to not tell CPS about the beatings and send me to live with my *broke* dad.

gently caress this line of thought. Love your children. Listen to them and try to understand. Don't just show up to cash he checks and claim the taxes.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Wasabi the J posted:

Hey this is the logic my mom used to convince me to not tell CPS about the beatings and send me to live with my *broke* dad.

Well this explains the old MLP avatar

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Thank gently caress I decided against kids and for divorce.

I genuinely mean that, I would've been a terrible father. Good thing I have two brothers to satisfy the grandbaby desires of my mother.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
In re: nobody cares I have spoken with very loud trumpers in north florida who all are in agreement that Trump hosed up and he needs to be impeached.

Multiple people have said “now I have a copy of the whistleblower report and the whitehouse readout, and they match verbatim. Trump hosed up and it’s unacceptable.”

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Smiling Jack posted:

nobody cares. nobody cares. nobody loving cares

your average voter absolutely does not give a poo poo or just loves Strong Daddy Trump who is finally telling it like it is, the gop is stuffing barely literate cretins into federal judeships so they're happy, and the Democratic party couldn't manage to win an election if the fate of the country depended on it

I mean there is polling that suggests that the average voter does care about these issues and that this is a very serious and significant impeachment inquiry.

Do whatever you feel like you need to stay healthy. This whole impeachment thing is going to be a shitshow, though that seems pretty appropriate for a process that seeks to remove the elected head of our government.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mr. Nice! posted:

In re: nobody cares I have spoken with very loud trumpers in north florida who all are in agreement that Trump hosed up and he needs to be impeached.

Multiple people have said “now I have a copy of the whistleblower report and the whitehouse readout, and they match verbatim. Trump hosed up and it’s unacceptable.”

The voting booth has a curtain

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Yeah, I think the political and media class care (to the extent they think it's interesting and controversial and will drive attention from their peers), and are working themselves up over this. I'm not sure if that translates to your average republican voter caring, or republican senators thinking that voting for impeachment won't get them primaried.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Crakkerjakk posted:

Yeah, I think the political and media class care (to the extent they think it's interesting and controversial and will drive attention from their peers), and are working themselves up over this. I'm not sure if that translates to your average republican voter caring, or republican senators thinking that voting for impeachment won't get them primaried.

There are 23 republican senators are up for election in 2020. All but three of them come from R+5 states. Most of them are giant names that could actually say what ever about trump and still win such as Mitch McConnell and Lindsay Graham.

Plenty of republican senators can vote to remove from office without primary concerns because no one will remember in 2-4 years because our electorate is made of goldfish.

The only way the senate gets flipped to a democratic supermajority is if a bunch of deep red states somehow flip blue, which isn't going to happen. A blue wave will probably result in a 53-47 senate makeup.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Flying_Crab posted:

how do we even begin to reconcile that?

A strong social safety net and a strong spine for the Dems. Also make the Dems stop being such bald-faced urban coastal elitists at the natural level. Hillary was basically worst-case scenario for actually getting the rural vote.

Dems need to stand up and actually help the working class and the parts of the country that don't touch an ocean, or we'll keep getting generation after generation of scared broke racists indoctrinating their children into their death cult.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

There are 23 republican senators are up for election in 2020. All but three of them come from R+5 states. Most of them are giant names that could actually say what ever about trump and still win such as Mitch McConnell and Lindsay Graham.

Plenty of republican senators can vote to remove from office without primary concerns because no one will remember in 2-4 years because our electorate is made of goldfish.

The only way the senate gets flipped to a democratic supermajority is if a bunch of deep red states somehow flip blue, which isn't going to happen. A blue wave will probably result in a 53-47 senate makeup.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

McConnell doesn't exactly have the power to stop an impeachment trial. He isn't in charge of it. John Roberts is.

Remember that the senate majority leader only has power because of senate rules. Mitch is not in a position to have anything to do with an impeachment trial except that he controls a majority of the jurors.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

A Bad Poster posted:

That Twitter account is just a bot that automatically takes Donny's tweets and formats them like official White House correspondence.

MRC48B posted:

Real Press Sec Bot is a joke twitter bot somebody ginned up when they realized that trump's tweets are technically Official Government Announcements.

It basically reformats every tweet he makes into that image and retweets them. Thats it.

It is valuable in that it keeps a record of everything trump has tweeted in office, even if he wants to delete or edit it later.

Dang, this thread moves fast. Thank you for explaining this, I've never used twitter. Not being sarcastic.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Obviously the president gets to appoint a supreme court nominee. It says so right in the constitution. How can noted Republican Mitch McConnel possibly gently caress with something so obvious?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

bird food bathtub posted:

Obviously the president gets to appoint a supreme court nominee. It says so right in the constitution. How can noted Republican Mitch McConnel possibly gently caress with something so obvious?

Well, if the president is from CHICAGO, then Senate Republicans can stop all nominations forever.

For the good of the country, you see.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Dang, this thread moves fast. Thank you for explaining this, I've never used twitter. Not being sarcastic.

Your life is better for it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

bird food bathtub posted:

That's a completely different process. The president gets to nominate, and then with advice and consent of the senate, gets to appoint. On the other hand, the senate is effectively the jury in an impeachment trial. The issue is that 2/3 majority is necessary to convict and remove from office.

Once we have a dozen or so R senators saying "remove from office" things will matter.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Internet Wizard posted:

A strong social safety net and a strong spine for the Dems. Also make the Dems stop being such bald-faced urban coastal elitists at the natural level. Hillary was basically worst-case scenario for actually getting the rural vote.

Dems need to stand up and actually help the working class and the parts of the country that don't touch an ocean, or we'll keep getting generation after generation of scared broke racists indoctrinating their children into their death cult.

Yeah dude but statistically nobody loving lives in the middle. A lot of these states have rounding errors for population.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

bird cooch posted:

Yeah dude but statistically nobody loving lives in the middle. A lot of these states have rounding errors for population.

This is true. The vast majority of the "heartland" of America is empty space.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

Wasabi the J posted:

The voting booth has a curtain

Not in Georgia, they don't.

I know this because I want to take a picture of my ballot when I fill it out as proof because I don't trust diebold voting machines, but it's illegal here to take pictures anywhere in a voting area.

And I have no privacy curtain so I can take a pic without being seen.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

bird cooch posted:

Oh okay gently caress the poor then

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

bird cooch posted:

When we say middle though what are we meaning? Most states between the Mississippi River and California? Yeah that's mostly empty. The urbanized South (e.g. Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, etc.) & Great Lakes, Midwest, etc? There are a fuckload of people and major cities that aren't East/West coast in those areas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Midwestern_metropolitan_areas

Add that up and it's a fairly large percentage of the US population which isn't on either coast.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 6, 2019

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Democratic policies do by in large help the rural communities. Republican policies have absolutely decimated them, and continue to do so under Trump.

People in these areas aren't voting republican because of their policies and they weren't voting against Clinton because she didn't pander to them enough.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Flying_Crab posted:

When we say middle though what are we meaning? Most states between the Mississippi River and California? Yeah that's mostly empty. The urbanized South (e.g. Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, etc.) & Great Lakes? There are a fuckload of people and major cities that aren't East/West coast in those areas.

It used to be called the Great American Desert, but now it's the Midwest.

Kansas, Nebraska, the Dakota's, Montana, Wyoming, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Nevada, Idaho, and the western half of Washington State.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

BigDave posted:

Kansas, Nebraska, the Dakota's, Montana, Wyoming, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Nevada, Idaho, and the western half of Washington State.

Ok yeah, that's what I think of when we're talking empty places.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Mr. Nice! posted:

I live in Texas and people viscerally hate George W Bush and Jeb now because they didn't support Trump. Red state Senators will not vote to impeach Trump because they are far more worried about a primary than a general election loss. A Senate seat is worth a lifetime of graft and not a single one of them will risk that.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Flying_Crab posted:

Ok yeah, that's what I think of when we're talking empty places.

It's basically Bundy territory.

Both Ted and Cliven.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Internet Wizard posted:

You know who turbofucks the poor? The party who swears up and down they support “real America” and small towns.

Blaming democrats for impoverished rural voters because you buy into the “coastal elite” rightwing smear doesn’t actually help the poor, it increases support for the right.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Except the Democrats havent done poo poo for the poor lately which is the entire reason we're here.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Internet Wizard posted:

Don’t say the quite part part loud closet republican.

Heh

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Except the Democrats havent done poo poo for the poor lately which is the entire reason we're here.

Almost all of the poor loving has been done by republicans in control at the state level of those states. Medicaid, TANF, and other programs to support the poor are run entirely at the state level. Democrats have not had the ability to do anything to help them at all because they aren't elected in those areas.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Never mind

This is just triage.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 6, 2019

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

BigDave posted:

That's not the Midwest. That's just West.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
It is a direct right wing talking point to say that voting for Democrats is bad for poor people. In practice, poor voters generally vote for democrats (not rural poor, but the poor in general).

Now, poor white dudes? Yes, poor white dudes vote Trump.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Proud Christian Mom posted:

We are working in a two party system, and Democrats' policies are better for a large, large majority of the country. A whole bunch of poor/not rich people are voting for the party who actively works to hurt them instead of the party that simply doesn't care about them because of some combination of racism, misogyny, and spite.

mlmp08 posted:

It is a direct right wing talking point to say that voting for Democrats is bad for poor people. In practice, poor voters generally vote for democrats (not rural poor, but the poor in general).

Now, poor white dudes? Yes, poor white dudes vote Trump.

This is a good point, while Republicans point to Democrats as the party of the "elite", Republicans on average are wealthier and earn more. But there's just something there that causes poor whites, especially men, to vote for Republicans. Wonder what it is....

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Stultus Maximus posted:

That's not the Midwest. That's just West.

And it should be eastern Washington state, not PNW west half.

Midwest is like, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Casimir Radon posted:

Cut off federal and state aid and see if a country boy really can survive?

They have the food, gas, and water. All the problems that develop in the rural parts of the country will be magnified by *city population* as a downstream effect.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Male cat fully equipped for offense is left out of cage at pet hotel; fucks himself to exhaustion

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=12273971

My favorite story of the year. :lol:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Godholio posted:

They have the food, gas, and water.

If so why poor?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

If so why poor?

Capitalism. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
The last time the country decided to trust the Democratic party they gave them a generational majority which was promptly wasted on protecting the banks and passing a 1990s GOP healthcare plan so maybe people are well justified in not buying into the lesser of two evils bullshit any longer