Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Kavros posted:

There are currently more than six whistleblower reports that you could say are in process to approach the house intelligence committee -- Andrew Bakaj represents a few more that we already actually know of unrelated to whistleblowers #1 and #2. The things you are talking about are absolutely prescient, and why it's already happening so fast.

Look into single-relator whistleblower cases. It always devolves into personal attacks and reputation smearing because a lot of these cases become about reputation instead of the facts. Whistleblowers come forward with damning evidence and airtight information, and the defendants win because the whistleblower got denied a promotion ten years ago. As soon as there is a second corroborating whistleblower that all goes out the window, especially if there is no connection between the two. Most intervened false claims cases with more than one whistleblower settle before trial because they are unwinnable for the defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Ague Proof posted:

'Sleepy Joe Biden and his thrown out of the Military son' is my band name.

Maybe shorten it. Sleepy Joe and the Dishonorable Discharges has a nice ring to it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Wow, just found out that a key witness in the Guyver trial was found dead. Weird coincidence!

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/cri...49BvS4j4oWColOM

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

Wow, just found out that a key witness in the Guyver trial was found dead. Weird coincidence!

I heard he was killed with a gun fashioned from a curtain blind, gum, and a few firecrackers.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Mantis42 posted:

You really thought all that "we have to forgive Amber" was Christian charity? Hell no, the cops are coming for all of them.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Bizarro Watt posted:

I will never get over Russ Feingold losing to this guy.

Twice. :sigh:

Pellisworth posted:

Trump absolutely is going to go on TV all the time and hold rallies after he exits office. Do you see him quietly retiring? Lol gently caress no. He probably starts Trump TV and if/when the GOP tries to distance themselves, he starts the America First party
And runs again in 2024.

If he's not dead by then.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Nobody tell him where those rules are written down...

JehovahsWetness posted:

I think this is the most official 2nd whistleblower thing I've seen yet.

https://twitter.com/ThisWeekABC/status/1180821531871649792

A fifth second whistleblower!

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Bizarro Watt posted:

I will never get over Russ Feingold losing to this guy.

By a larger voting margin than Clinton lost the State. This still hurts me. I'm not even from Wisconsin and this STILL makes me angry.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1180889650333917190?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Pretty sure at this point it's a request. As in please, pleeease...

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

saintonan posted:

You really thought all that "we have to forgive Amber" was Christian charity? Hell no, the cops are coming for all of them.

The cops are the biggest gang in the United States. Hell, just look at their ink.

Jows
May 8, 2002

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/jayrosen_nyu/status/1180860117866176513

Rosen is correct, it's wild to see a light switch flip and someone as bad as Chuck Todd suddenly start acting like he gives two shits about this

Dude's complexion is looking rather.... Trumpian.

Jows fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 6, 2019

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

deoju posted:

And runs again in 2024.

If he's not dead by then.

I think it's equally likely Don Jr. or Ivanka is the actual candidate and Donnie Sr. is the MAGA messiah who goes on TV and holds rallies. Trump doesn't actually want the job of President, he just wants media attention and world leaders to flatter him.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Jows posted:

Dude's complexion is looking rather.... Trumpian.

The non-Fox media needs to start inviting GOP senators and congressmen on air and just rip into them for this bullshit. The problem with the left wing these days is they have no one who is going to sit down, look the GOP in the eye, and say "Have you no shame?" in the public eye. Quiet decorum and backroom investigations aren't going to move the needle. We need people on TV telling Republican officials "This is bullshit and you know it, why are you betraying our country?" The gloves need to come off.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Sir Lemming posted:

Nobody tell him where those rules are written down...

In his mind, the Constitution isn't a set of foundational rules for government that was written a couple of hundred years ago by intelligent but deeply flawed people, and then amended many times since then to address some of its fundamental flaws.

It's the holiest relic of a mystery religion that can only be interpreted through white supremacists' feelings.

This is not yet a mainstream legal view, but give the Supreme Court a few years and we'll see what happens.

If the whole "we have to protect the Constitution by ending birthright citizenship" push didn't make this all obvious, well, here it is again.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Electric Bugaloo posted:

If you can’t make pharmacy work you should consider running for office. Or starting a reform org. Or blogging. You do a good job

Gotta be honest in that I'm not sure I have the confidence for most of that or the relevant know-how to do them. I suppose a blog can't be too hard to manage.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

First hand account means they were in the room during the call, right?

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

I think the closest thing to a coherent narrative that the GOP is going to be able to put together is this "the president wants other countries to not be corrupt before he sends them a bunch of aid", and there are a lot of holes in that, sure, but I think it is a trap to engage with that narrative. Instead, hammer on exactly what he did, trade arms for political dirt, and don't let the GOP grab control of the story like this.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Google Butt posted:

First hand account means they were in the room during the call, right?

It should. IIRC the whistleblower complaint mentioned a dozen miscellaneous aids and policy grunts were present for the call, as was usual, so if we can get more of those people to speak up and speak more about other calls that have been memory-servered then we got a stew going.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Keep trying to make this a thing, Pissbaby. I'm sure that your legions of Russian bots Twitter hasn't banned will be glad to do as you bid them.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

It should. IIRC the whistleblower complaint mentioned a dozen miscellaneous aids and policy grunts were present for the call, as was usual, so if we can get more of those people to speak up and speak more about other calls that have been memory-servered then we got a stew going.

Yeah this "second whistleblower" isn't really a second whistleblower so much as he is a fact witness to the first who has hired attorneys to make sure he doesn't get illegally retaliated against for his cooperation.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Meanwhile Don Jr is wondering what he has to do to get daddy to care about him as much as he cares about Hunter Biden.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Pellisworth posted:

Trump absolutely is going to go on TV all the time and hold rallies after he exits office. Do you see him quietly retiring? Lol gently caress no. He probably starts Trump TV and if/when the GOP tries to distance themselves, he starts the America First party.

He's going to screech incoherently about how the election was stolen and he was treated the worst of any President, we need to investigate and imprison Nasty Pocahontas. Hell, he'll probably try to call up world leaders and convince them he's a government in exile and you should help me get back into power.

It'll be one of Prester Jane's compaction cycles. He'll lose some of the GOP but I'd guess at least a third to one half will radicalize further.

It would be a bit ironic if Trump caused the GOP to splinter. Don't forget how internally divided the GOP is right now, they present a mostly united front defending Dear Leader but they got jack poo poo done legislatively when they controlled the entire government 2017-2018. They couldn't corral the far-right Freedom Caucus loons and the handful of moderates to repeal Obamacare or pass immigration restrictions or whatever. Remember twenty years ago when Trump shut the government down twice to try and force Dem votes because he couldn't get the GOP together?

He needs to go to jail after he is POTUS or he is going to be giving away any state secrets he can remember.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Slowpoke! posted:

I am the 2% who thinks Trump should tweet more. This poo poo we are seeing deserves its own section at the Smithsonian. Just blow the tweets up and hang them on the wall.

Theres enough tweeta and he's just repeating the same whiny bullshit now. He needs to shut the hell up already its tiresome.

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

Donalds been getting alot of replies from some dudes talking about Restart, something to do with regime change in Iran. I haven't found much about it besides their own website, but is there anything to this, or is it just some more dumb maga bullshit?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Do Not Hingde Mo-Crats?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

ColonelMuttonchops posted:

Donalds been getting alot of replies from some dudes talking about Restart, something to do with regime change in Iran. I haven't found much about it besides their own website, but is there anything to this, or is it just some more dumb maga bullshit?

Probably some Q poo poo.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

*Long story about progressives ramping up scrutiny of an absolutely corrupt administration, culminating in impeachment*

"So, what do you call your act?"

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1180889650333917190?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

ColonelMuttonchops posted:

They think that talking about impeaching the president invalidates the 22nd amendment. It's sovereign citizen-esque bullshit. I think it might partially be inspired by the fact that if Trump was impeached, convicted, and removed Pence would be president for the remainder of Trump's term and still legally allowed to run for 2 more terms, but in typical chud fashion they completely misunderstood it
Edit: drat I thought "restart" and the Iran thing were separate things. My bad

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 6, 2019

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Nothing changed with Chuck Todd. He sat there impotently as a chud sputtered nonsense conspiracy theories for two minutes.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

eke out posted:

obviously him being public about this is testing the waters for other people, and trump's insane reaction is because he's terrified of other people joining romney. but this doesn't make sense, he can't be the "fall guy" as he has done literally nothing he can take the fall for.

he's the guinea pig, but yeah that's an interesting idea that makes a lot of sense. romney can get out there and see how much backlash there is to the sort of "not saying we remove, yet, but this is real bad and deserves serious investigation" approach vs the "loyal fact-free apparatchik" graham approach (and graham is, essentially, acting as the guinea pig for that approach)

everyone else is sticking with the "why the gently caress would i stick myself into that loving disaster, i'm going to put my phone in the freezer for two weeks" approach but eventually they'll need to do something

Logic Probed
Feb 26, 2011

Having a normal one since 2016

Pellisworth posted:

Trump absolutely is going to go on TV all the time and hold rallies after he exits office. Do you see him quietly retiring? Lol gently caress no. He probably starts Trump TV and if/when the GOP tries to distance themselves, he starts the America First party.

He's going to screech incoherently about how the election was stolen and he was treated the worst of any President, we need to investigate and imprison Nasty Pocahontas. Hell, he'll probably try to call up world leaders and convince them he's a government in exile and you should help me get back into power.

It'll be one of Prester Jane's compaction cycles. He'll lose some of the GOP but I'd guess at least a third to one half will radicalize further.

It would be a bit ironic if Trump caused the GOP to splinter. Don't forget how internally divided the GOP is right now, they present a mostly united front defending Dear Leader but they got jack poo poo done legislatively when they controlled the entire government 2017-2018. They couldn't corral the far-right Freedom Caucus loons and the handful of moderates to repeal Obamacare or pass immigration restrictions or whatever. Remember twenty years ago when Trump shut the government down twice to try and force Dem votes because he couldn't get the GOP together?

Considering his current potential mental state, who's to say he wouldn't be completely incapable of holding a public appearance without relapsing hard? Hell, I'll bet by the time he's out of office, forced or not, he'll be too mushbrained or rattled to even try.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

TyroneGoldstein posted:

By a larger voting margin than Clinton lost the State. This still hurts me. I'm not even from Wisconsin and this STILL makes me angry.

HRC's strategy of trying to turn out NeverTrumpers who don't like his rudeness hurt the Democrats in the downballot because they split tickets to hold her in check.

Painting Trump as an aberration and not a True Republican was a mistake that absolved all the other shitheads like Johnson.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 6, 2019

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Charliegrs posted:

Has anyone mentioned in this thread that one of main witnesses in the Amber Guyger trial was shot dead yesterday? I remember seeing this guy's testimony in the trial. At one point he broke down crying. There's no way in hell the Dallas PD aren't behind this murder, probably taking revenge for this guy helping put away one of their own. gently caress Dallas PD. gently caress the blue lives matter crowd.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/05/us/botham-jean-neighbor-killed/index.html

He was shot in the chest and the mouth. They loving murdered him. Being shot in the mouth is a message

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Can't loving wait to be told it was a suicide.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

fool_of_sound posted:

Can't loving wait to be told it was a suicide.

Simultaneously shot by every police brutality activist in the state.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
No no it was suicide by police, he was threatening them.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Thanks, sometimes search engines let you down.

Yeah, it's nearly impossible to find on a casual search because there wasn't any hard evidence. No convictions, no formal accusations, no victims coming forward, no written statements from witnesses.

But if you actually read through the account of her life, yeah, it's pretty clear what's going on between the lines.

E: didn't realize how far I was behind whoops

buddhist nudist fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 6, 2019

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/KCStar/status/1180798863772397569

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Trumps decades long formulation of his cult of personality and his reputation as THE rich successful macho tough guy businessman to millions of rubes will be very hard to replicate.

Counterpoint, Trump was long known as a joke. Like for decades. He was someone who basically showed up on syndicated entertainment tv shows and a glorified Wack Packer on Howard Stern. Sometimes on pro wrestling. The only thing exceptional about him is how completely unexceptional he is. Even when he had his crappy reality show I wouldn't say he had a cult of personality. If he had a cult of personality every business he tried to do in the past 40 years wouldn't have failed. The rubes weren't running out to buy his lovely vodka or his steaks at Sharper Image. The only reason his base likes him is he's a dumb fool who says dumb fool things on national tv and twitter and they are also dumb fools.

There's really nothing special about him. The people who were having their children pray to cardboard cut-outs to super-christian good ol' boy George Bush Jr are the same people who now worship the Manhattan businessman mogul. I don't know what the next grift will be to succeed, but rubes will be rubed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

ThanosWasRight posted:

I know you want this to be true for Ideological and political reasons but it is simply not.

Trumps cult belies the Republican party. His ideas and movement are the end result of the GOP ideas but many of the supporters, even a majority I would say, are not republicans or have not been republicans their whole life. Many are people who never were strongly active in politics or paid attention.

This comes down to an issue that I feel wrong people are wrong on this forum about and people are taking the wrong lessons from.

Most claim that Trump has not created any new racism in America, that he is just exposing racism that already exists. I believe that is the exact opposite of what Trump does. Trump, and people like Trump, create and implant racism in the mind of lay-people who were not previously racist. Their authoritarianism leads people who previously would not entertain extreme or virulent racism to consider it legitimate and even an ok mindset to hold.

This is true of any strong leader. People do not have these beliefs inside them all along that they just magically decide to openly profess one day. People are persuaded to believe them by good arguments. If you aren't able to persuade people to believe your arguments you have a bad one. Trump has very good arguments that work on his target audience. If Trump did not exist and make these arguments a lot of them would not believe these ideas.

This happened at the turn of this century as well with FDR. Do you think people really had all these progressive ideals in them deep down? They followed FDR because he made good arguements and was a gifted leader. People will follow anyone who can make arguments that work to their current condition and worldview.

Nah, friend. "Great man theory" doesn't work as well as you think it does. Great people don't whole-cloth create ideas, they plug into movements that people are already talking about. Yes, certainly, they change a few peoples' minds and get new followers, but people are already primed to hear those messages. Trump didn't create racism in this country, or even a new generation of racists; he's only made it easier and more social acceptable in certain crowds to say the things that people believed but knew was socially unacceptable. I don't know anyone who supports Trump who wasn't already a racist rear end in a top hat to begin with.

As for FDR - all of the ideas that FDR ran on were ideas brought up by Bob LaFollette when he ran as a third-party candidate eight years prior with 16.6% of the vote. Did FDR make some of those ideas more popular by supporting them? Sure. Did he create those ideas and the sudden support for them out of nowhere? Was the country 100% libertarian-conservative prior to FDR suddenly speaking about a New Deal? Not even close.