Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Ziploc posted:

I (as well as a friend trying it on his own computer) tried the alternative method to install outside of a docker and we didn't get far. Googling didn't help us much since we couldn't find many people doing it. I'll try again.

Thanks.

Interesting.. I've done it twice, and it worked on the first try both times. Using Ubuntu Server 19.04... I didn't have to install all the packages mentioned in the documentation, as it already had a couple of them preinstalled. There is a note a little further down the page you have to use the docker-ce package directly from the Docker repository, and not the docker.io package from the Ubuntu repository. It mentions it could cause issues.

I believe the install script linked in that guide will only work on a fresh Ubuntu install where Docker has not been previously setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I have a very dumb question that I feel like I should know the answer to. I've been getting more smart stuff over the past year and realized it's probably not the most secure. Everything is connected to my network via WiFi on a Ubiquti UAP HD Nano, which is wired to their ER-X. Is there any guide to what I should be doing to make this more secure?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I have a very dumb question that I feel like I should know the answer to. I've been getting more smart stuff over the past year and realized it's probably not the most secure. Everything is connected to my network via WiFi on a Ubiquti UAP HD Nano, which is wired to their ER-X. Is there any guide to what I should be doing to make this more secure?

Do you need those devices to still talk to anything on your LAN, or just to be able to get to the internet?

If it is the latter, Unifi can do a guest network for you. If you need some limited access to the LAN from some devices, you will have to setup an additional VLAN and do some firewallin'.

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000166827-UniFi-Guest-Network-Guest-Portal-and-Hotspot-System#2

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Moey posted:

Do you need those devices to still talk to anything on your LAN, or just to be able to get to the internet?

If it is the latter, Unifi can do a guest network for you. If you need some limited access to the LAN from some devices, you will have to setup an additional VLAN and do some firewallin'.

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000166827-UniFi-Guest-Network-Guest-Portal-and-Hotspot-System#2

What exactly do you mean, talk to anything on the LAN? The only integration I have is stuff being connected through Google Home and the Home speakers. I feel like I'm missing something obvious

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
It means do devices on your local network need to talk to other devices on your network, or do they just need Internet access?

An example of the former could be a laptop and a WiFi printer, or a tablet and a Chromecast.

An example of the latter would be a device that literally only talk to the Internet (web browsing, Spotify, etc.)

Devices in the latter category could be siloed off from one another in the ways Moey said.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Tapedump posted:

It means do devices on your local network need to talk to other devices on your network, or do they just need Internet access?

An example of the former could be a laptop and a WiFi printer, or a tablet and a Chromecast.

An example of the latter would be a device that literally only talk to the Internet (web browsing, Spotify, etc.)

Devices in the latter category could be siloed off from one another in the ways Moey said.

Ohhh ok. I think I'd be fine throwing everything on a separate guest network? I have a couple Google Home speakers, a Nest thermostat, couple Kasa switches, and an August lock. Everything is controlled through either it's on app or the Google home app

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

You don't need to use HASS.io you can use the standard version of Home Assistant.

I run the normal version of home assistant in a docker on my Synology NAS.
https://hub.docker.com/r/homeassistant/home-assistant

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Slash posted:

You don't need to use HASS.io you can use the standard version of Home Assistant.

I run the normal version of home assistant in a docker on my Synology NAS.
https://hub.docker.com/r/homeassistant/home-assistant

Yeah, I'm a little confused what the point of running hass.io on "bare metal" is.

I do the same thing you do.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Hey folks, I just bought a place and I'm looking to get some home automation/security installed. We have an Alexa device the family likes using, so I've been leaning towards getting a Ring setup, but if there's a compelling reason to go with something else I don't have to integrate that.

Basically I want to get:
-a few outdoor cameras to cover the entrances
-motion sensing lights
-remote control thermostat
-smoke/CO2 detectors
all connected and can be accessed from my phone. I'd prefer it to not trash my wifi bandwidth but honestly I'd rather upgrade my wifi than go routing cables.

Is Ring my best bet or are there better alternatives I should be looking at?

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, I'm a little confused what the point of running hass.io on "bare metal" is.

I do the same thing you do.

Primarily for the "Add-on Store" https://github.com/hassio-addons/ giving almost one click install to additional tools/integrations (docker containers). Some with 'ingress' support https://www.home-assistant.io/blog/2019/04/15/hassio-ingress/
The Hassio supervisor takes care of HA and Add-on updates.

Also the integrated Snapshot/Backup, that backs up all the HA configs and installed Addons. I actually used a snapshot to migrate from a Pi HassOS set up to Hass.io running on Ubuntu.

Although, I'm not actually on "bare metal"...the Ubuntu host is running as a virtual machine.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

azurite posted:

If your automations depend on presence detection on an iPhone, I'm pretty sure that functionality straight up doesn't work in SmartThings

The one I have (turn on 3 lights when I approach the house) seems to work fine with my iPhone.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Maybe they fixed it, but it used to straight up not seem to notice or care whether my girlfriend's iPhone was home or not.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
I have a recording studio that I share with my bandmates, and IMOU cameras (US firmware) set up on motion detect.

We use Google Calendar to block out time for private rehearsal, giving lessons, etc.

I'd like to have the camera turn off motion sensing and notifications according to blocked out time on the GCal

Is this an IFTT thing or do I need to set up Blue Iris, or maybe a simpler third option?

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

BI will certainly do that with a profile change on the fly. I'm not sure about IFTTT for that.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Related to my question earlier about the trust-worthiness of these store-bought security systems. Three alarming papers just came out this week:

https://twitter.com/random_walker/status/1177570949710909441

That twitter thread (just 14 posts) is well worth the read.

To summarize: Our networked devices are storing everything they can to make a fingerprint of you. They're phoning that info back home in undocumented ways, forming the largest spy network in the world at the behest of corporations and world governments.

Most people have known about that news to some extent, but in particular, home security systems are not excluded from the scandal:

The tweet also goes into the extremes the companies will go to build your fingerprint, including a link that studies ultrasonic noises, found to be for discreet communication between devices in a user's home. Here's more on that:

Enfys posted:

Also tv commercials broadcast a noise that you can't hear, but that your electronic devices pick up (and also broadcast to each other):

quote:

The ultrasonic pitches are embedded into TV commercials or are played when a user encounters an ad displayed in a computer browser. While the sound can't be heard by the human ear, nearby tablets and smartphones can detect it. When they do, browser cookies can now pair a single user to multiple devices and keep track of what TV commercials the person sees, how long the person watches the ads, and whether the person acts on the ads by doing a Web search or buying a product.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/11/your-phone-is-literally-listening-to-your-tv/416712/

Whereas corporations can and do use this worldwide spying system for ultra-targeted advertising, governments presumably have a similar, analogous use for it: ultra-targeted spying. There's nothing stopping them from selectively targeting individuals found through it for more intrusive spying that they'd not get away with doing on the broader public. Case in point, the Pegasus malware, which was widely installed on iPhones but lay dormant and went unnoticed, until it recently got key journalists tracked and killed for their anti-government reporting.

Be careful what you let into your homes, folks. Desperate local burglars might not be the only threat vector worth protecting against.

Besides oppressive governments, organized crime can hire those same local meth-head burglars to hit your neighborhood too, and crime organizations have access to far more resources including leaked info about you from programs like the above. I would know -- this summer I just had my license stolen from my mail and sold to one of those organizations for ID theft -- they combined it with my Equifax leak info and all sorts of other victims' info to do some real damage to me. Your home might be more likely to hit that way (organized crime) than by an individual. You don't want your security purchases to accidentally expose you even more.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 6, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The ultrasonic beacon stuff seems to be a little more hokum than necessary. It needs to have an active listener. People would have found by now, if the OS on the devices would do that. AFAIK it requires apps installed that happen to use sketchy middleware, currently.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Interesting, thank you.

Slightly scary about stuff being uploaded without the users knowledge.

quote:

Here’s how software from SilverPush, a leading provider of “audio beacons,” works: When you visit a website that uses SilverPush tracking technology, the site causes your device to emit an inaudible ultrasonic sound. If any other devices you’ve got lying around—a laptop, a phone, a tablet—has an app installed that includes SilverPush code, it’s listening for that sound. If it hears it, SilverPush knows that the two devices are close to one another and, presumably, belong to the same person.

More recently, SilverPush expanded into television advertising: Certain TV commercials include an ultrasonic audio beacon. Any nearby devices running SilverPush software will be listening for the beacon—if a device hears it, it records the match, allowing the company to figure out what ads users watch and for how long, and add that information to the user’s profile.

SilverPush product manager Piyush Bhatt says the audio tracking only operates in India, but the company, which is based near New Delhi, has established offices in San Francisco and the Philippines as well.

Combat Pretzel posted:

The ultrasonic beacon stuff seems to be a little more hokum than necessary. It needs to have an active listener. People would have found by now, if the OS on the devices would do that. AFAIK it requires apps installed that happen to use sketchy middleware, currently.
I would say that the fear is that this technology could be allowed to be implemented if it weren't for government intervention to ban it (c.f. subliminal advertising), rather than it being sneakily rolled out without anyone being aware of it.

On a lighter note:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5lj63-nc5g

also, what happens if your username is 'Xbox Sign Out' and you act like a dick online

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCB1ac4jIrE&t=24s

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Combat Pretzel posted:

There are technical limitations to all of this stuff, and a lot of it probably barely works because most software is crap rather than a magical solution. It's more just about the fact that they even tried make it, even left evidence of their attempts at ultrasonic tracking, which shows how desperate they are for that fingerprint of you.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
I'm not that comfortable running and doing stuff using the systems of QNAP (Container Station and so on) but was wondering if it is a good idea to just have a permanent (Ubuntu) VM running and doing all my self-hosted stuff from there? This would definitely be HomeAssistant and potentially other self-hosted tools (NextCloud?). I have a QNAP TS-453B with a Celeron CPU J3455 @ 1.50GHz and 8GB RAM.

Is the hardware powerful enough?

Any experiences or guides with/for this?

Can you recommend a certain VM or work-practice? As is evident, I'm still very much a novice to the self-hosted / DIY / Home Automation scene.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The ultrasonic TV beacon stuff has been available commercially since at least 2011, and I believe it had been deployed in the US at experimental scale. (The vendor had detailed claims about range and performance and so forth.)

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Was looking for remote water shutoffs and found what I think is relatively new whole house water filter from GE with a bunch of smart functions. Anyone have any experience with the filter?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Smart-Whole-House-Water-Filtration-System-GXWH70M/307938369

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Am I misunderstanding what they're saying? Isn't that literally the whole point of the Ring video doorbell?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Charles posted:

Am I misunderstanding what they're saying? Isn't that literally the whole point of the Ring video doorbell?

I guess they're saying it happens more often than just when authorized? Like maybe it's supposed to only do it when the doorbell is rung, not passively creep on everyone facing your front door at all times of the day, phoning home with everything. Their specific example for home security is a little unclear. Here's the paper containing that text: (link)

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I guess they're saying it happens more often than just when authorized? Like maybe it's supposed to only do it when the doorbell is rung, not passively creep on everyone facing your front door at all times of the day, phoning home with everything. Their specific example for home security is a little unclear. Here's the paper containing that text: (link)

Here’s what Ring says:

quote:

When does a Ring device record video?

When motion is detected by the device (including devices linked to cameras such as an alarm system’s motion detector), the video doorbell button is pressed, or video on demand (Live View) is initiated through the Ring app, a video file is streamed from the Ring device to the cloud.

So uh kinda seems like it’s doing exactly what they said it would.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Kalman posted:

Here’s what Ring says:

So uh kinda seems like it’s doing exactly what they said it would.

Yeah, that is literally what it is supposed to do and what I got it for. (UPS/etc doesn't ring my bell. This lets me know when they are leaving packages)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

That's nothing...Nest Hello records full time whether there's motion or not!

(which is why I got it!)

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
The issue might be that there's no way to disable the motion recordings, and the fact that the recordings are taken and uploaded to the server even if the user isn't paying for the service that allows them to view such videos.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

n0tqu1tesane posted:

The issue might be that there's no way to disable the motion recordings, and the fact that the recordings are taken and uploaded to the server even if the user isn't paying for the service that allows them to view such videos.

Yeah, this is the way I understood it as well. The service is still gathering all the same data, but you're not allowed to access it unless you pay extra. If it didn't upload anything you didn't have access to it'd be a different story.

Same basic model as Slack, if you start paying for their service suddenly all those older messages that were "unavailable" become accessible.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

wolrah posted:

Yeah, this is the way I understood it as well. The service is still gathering all the same data, but you're not allowed to access it unless you pay extra. If it didn't upload anything you didn't have access to it'd be a different story.

Same basic model as Slack, if you start paying for their service suddenly all those older messages that were "unavailable" become accessible.

Nope. From the same link, if you're not paying for Ring to store video: "the video file will not be transcoded into a video recording and it will be automatically deleted." So it gets sent either way, but it doesn't get stored if you don't have access. And I'm not sure why they call "Ring doorbells upload video when they sense motion" a 'barely documented feature' when it's all over their website.

There's tons of privacy issues with IoT poo poo, not sure why that article felt it needed to try to drum up additional ones that are actually the basic function of the device.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

It is pretty stupid that Ring uploads the data if you're not paying for the service.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

It is pretty stupid that Ring uploads the data if you're not paying for the service.

It makes sense, honestly. It's how they do live viewing—device streams to cloud, cloud to remote device (presumably because it makes dealing with firewalls simpler not to have to have an open incoming port to stream video to the user's phone). And if they didn't stream on motion detection, non-plan users would have to wait for the device to be told to start encoding/streaming and wait through that delay before they get a live view.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Oh yeah I forgot about live streaming.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I converted my Nest account to a google account, which is largely fine by me (although I recall that some loss of interoperability was intended, which sucks), but now whenever I go to home.nest.com on my computer, it asks me to sign in via google. Is there a way I can stop this behavior? It's not making anything more secure (it pops up a window which already has my google account signed in, I click to select it, it takes me back) and this isn't a public computer, so it's just adding steps for no reason.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Welcome to google auth.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

some loss of interoperability is the biggest understatement in this thread.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Krakkles posted:

I converted my Nest account to a google account, which is largely fine by me (although I recall that some loss of interoperability was intended, which sucks), but now whenever I go to home.nest.com on my computer, it asks me to sign in via google. Is there a way I can stop this behavior? It's not making anything more secure (it pops up a window which already has my google account signed in, I click to select it, it takes me back) and this isn't a public computer, so it's just adding steps for no reason.

It has to pop up the window because Nest can't just sign you into things with your Google account without Google asking you if it's alright.

In this case, Nest is now a Google company, but imagine if any site that had Google login could just log you in with your Google account with Google first asking your permission.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Photex posted:

some loss of interoperability is the biggest understatement in this thread.
Not intentional - I thought I was losing, like, Alexa’s ability to adjust the thermostat. Did I lose more than that?

Thermopyle posted:

It has to pop up the window because Nest can't just sign you into things with your Google account without Google asking you if it's alright.

In this case, Nest is now a Google company, but imagine if any site that had Google login could just log you in with your Google account with Google first asking your permission.
No, I get what different things came together to create this situation. What I’m asking is why “cookies” simultaneously appear to be something they’re aware of (the popup has me logged in, after all), but completely inept at (because Nest can’t remember that it did this earlier today).

Also, I disagree with drawing parallels between “any site” and “a Google company”, but I understand what you’re trying to say.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

My point is that that is how oauth has to work because of browser's Same Origin policy. Because you're the on the nest.com domain, it cannot read cookies from the google.com domain

Nest should remember you've chosen to stay logged in, but that's a different issue from Google knowing you're logged in when the window pops up.

You can log out of any website using Google (or Facebook, or Twitter or anyone implementing the oauth standard) Login, but that won't log you out of Google, so the popup (which is served from google.com) will still know you're logged in to Google.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I gotta say if my company insists on analog garbage bargain basement cameras that I've earned a begrudging respect for Q-See. If you can get any internet connection at all to them, they just happily stream to the internet with very little setup.

Probably . . . . not very good from a privacy standpoint, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

This feels like a dumb question, but does the Nest Protect work fine with no internet? I've been toying with the idea of replacing my detectors with them and want to be absolutely sure that in the event of an internet outage I'd be fine. Also, what's everyone's experience with them?