Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Payndz posted:

From that scene, it looks more like The Mummy Returns - "everything has to be bigger and faster and crazier than before! Also you have to do twice as many VFX shots in half the time on the same budget because we all gave ourselves pay rises."

(I actually like The Mummy Returns more now than I did at the time because compared to some of the poo poo that's been made since, it seems almost dignified and restrained. That CG Scorpion King at the end is still utter garbage, though.)

But if all of the Hobbit is like that, I'm glad I missed them.

The animated series based on the mummy returns was surprisingly deece, and significantly better than the movie imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I read the Hobbit when I was quite young, loved it, and asked my dad if there was another one. He said there was Lord of the Rings but it was too old for me. I grumbled.

And that's the story of how I narrowly avoided becoming a fantasy person. Except Pratchett, who doesn't count.

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost
Modern CG movies just spend way less time and money, proportionally, per shot than older shows. Jurassic park stands up today still because there is a tiny amount of CG compared to a modern movie, and what there is was laboured over for years by highly experienced artists and PHD level engineers.

There is a huge amount of amazing work in the hobbit that you won’t notice because it doesn’t look CG. Entire set replacements, water effects, background characters, sky replacements. But there are also things that are jarring because Weta had 3000 shots to do per show at 60fps, 4K and physics and time exists. If you had the same crew doing 15mins of CG in a 2 hour show it would be seamless.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

forelle posted:

Modern CG movies just spend way less time and money, proportionally, per shot than older shows. Jurassic park stands up today still because there is a tiny amount of CG compared to a modern movie, and what there is was laboured over for years by highly experienced artists and PHD level engineers.

There is a huge amount of amazing work in the hobbit that you won’t notice because it doesn’t look CG. Entire set replacements, water effects, background characters, sky replacements. But there are also things that are jarring because Weta had 3000 shots to do per show at 60fps, 4K and physics and time exists. If you had the same crew doing 15mins of CG in a 2 hour show it would be seamless.

Is it a thing to call films shows?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Wachter posted:

I think as a setpiece it's a really cool idea; my main problem with it is that the hulking Orc warriors appear to have the constitutions of daddy-long-legs

It's awful as a fight scene - dudes are practically throwing themselves into the frame onto Legolas's swords, and he's backflipping and skateboarding like he's spider-man.

It's awful as a comedy sequence - there's loads of brutal murder, there's little time for reaction shots, everything is swirling and spinning all the bloody time.

It's awful as an action setpiece - there's no real danger, the orcs are a meaningless threat, and the dwarves are constantly churned through a washingmachine right from the start, so are clearly invincible.

The Mummy is far superior in all respects: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZBkTm19fmM

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah

The Hobbit movies were godawful. A hundred different studios wanted a re-run of the money fountain that was the Lord of the Rings trilogy, so they ballooned what could've been one or two movies into three, with all the pointless extensions that entailed.

Meanwhile the New Zealand actors union got shafted by Warner Brothers and the government.

Gort fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 6, 2019

Skilbs
Jul 20, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

It is indeed a thing to call films shows. They all have code names as well so we can talk about them in the pub.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

If a genie/monkey's paw granted me three wishes, one of them would be a DVD copy of The Hobbit from the parallel universe where Guillermo Del Toro stuck it out and directed the thing his way.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's awful as a fight scene - dudes are practically throwing themselves into the frame onto Legolas's swords, and he's backflipping and skateboarding like he's spider-man.

It's awful as a comedy sequence - there's loads of brutal murder, there's little time for reaction shots, everything is swirling and spinning all the bloody time.

It's awful as an action setpiece - there's no real danger, the orcs are a meaningless threat, and the dwarves are constantly churned through a washingmachine right from the start, so are clearly invincible.

The Mummy is far superior in all respects: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZBkTm19fmM

It's also awful as a piece of worldbuilding, since there's a ridiculous amount of downward travel for the essetially flat forest they see between the crag they land on at the end of movie 1 and the lonely mountain, and because (per the book, anyway) it's meant to be a trade route down which the elves float barrels of wine and stuff, and about half of the barrel break entirely independently of the fight scene. And if it's NOT meant to be a trade route, why are there barrels waiting to be dropped into it? It's not like a culture like that would just throw empties away, barrels are loving valuable.

The HObbit movies were incredibly disappointing, my wife and I were more or less core audience for them, loved the books, loved the LotR movies, had been hyping up for The Hobbit to deliver the tentpole christmas moves for a couple of years to come. We watched the first one and came away actively not wanting to watch any more of them.

Umbra Dubium posted:

If a genie/monkey's paw granted me three wishes, one of them would be a DVD copy of The Hobbit from the parallel universe where Guillermo Del Toro stuck it out and directed the thing his way.

It would have been essentially the same, the problem with them wasn't the director, much as Jackson was wildly checked out of the whole process, it was the studios.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Looks like it should be a ride at Universal Studios.

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah, sorry force of habit. I spent 15 years working in VFX, including 5 years down at Weta working (in part) on what would become the Hobbit movies. Guillermo Del Toro was directing them then though. You can still see his influences In the Goblin King design and a few other places. I left before Peter took over directing again.

forelle fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 6, 2019

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Umbra Dubium posted:

del Toro has an entire wikipedia page dedicated to his incomplete projects, and every single one of them is absolute gold: At the Mountains of Madness, The Witches (in stop motion! With Alfonso Cuaron!), Silent Hills, Death : The High Cost of Living etc etc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillermo_del_Toro%27s_unrealized_projects

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

GDT should direct more stuff.

I have havering with a friend about who should have directed the new SW trilogy and we got into the weeds a bit about the Hobbit, and I accidently suggested Del Toro should have directed Episodes 7-9 and my god can you imagine how good that would have been. I;d give a major body part for a GDT Star Wars movie.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's a while since I'd seen that (I'd completely forgotten about the poor bastard who spends half the fight in flames), but yeah, it's infinitely better than that Hobbit clip. Probably because you can see what's going on the whole time since the camera isn't whirling and flying and doing impossible Matrix moves through the scene as fifty-three things happen at once. And when there's a gag (like Evie yanking Rick out of the way of the bullets coming through the wall behind him), there's a moment for the audience to laugh before the action carries on. Rather than "Raaargh, now I'm Barrel-Man!" [action continues at exactly the same tempo as before]

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The other thing with the Hobbit is that the pacing is horrible. Like the first quarter of the movie is talking, and the rest is non-stop action sequences against CGI opposition that never poses a meaningful threat.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

thespaceinvader posted:

GDT should direct more stuff.

I have havering with a friend about who should have directed the new SW trilogy and we got into the weeds a bit about the Hobbit, and I accidently suggested Del Toro should have directed Episodes 7-9 and my god can you imagine how good that would have been. I;d give a major body part for a GDT Star Wars movie.

I learnt that at one point David Lynch was in talks for doing Return of the Jedi. To see the parallel universe version of that, my god.

Also got really bored with the Hobbit films - a combination of dragging the story out for so loving long, and with a tone that was all over the place. A two film version by GDT would have probably sufficed.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Drone_Fragger posted:

Hobbit is dogshit because everything was filmed green-screen and then everything added in afterwards with CGI. Any company can make a CGI Fantasy shitfest. I went into hobbit thinking it would have the spectacle and grandeuer of LOTR and was sorely disappointed because of it.

That's sorta the problem - they (well, GDT) originally wanted to make a different, distinct vision of the mythos, but then the studio got scared and decided the viewing public actually wanted it to have the spectacle and grandeur of the previous trilogy so pulled a handbrake turn and ended up with something trying to match the original trilogy, and failing horribly because of it.

Apologies to anyone interested in UK politics who didn't want to sit through 500 pages of LOTR chat. Also have been to Hobbiton nad spoke with a bus driver who worked on the films therefore my opinion is higher than anyone else's, unless maybe you've blown a dwarf.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Gort posted:

The other thing with the Hobbit is that the pacing is horrible. Like the first quarter of the movie is talking, and the rest is non-stop action sequences against CGI opposition that never poses a meaningful threat.

The pacing is horrible because they had to pad the everloving poo poo out of it to make it 3 3 hour movies.

Like, the pacing would have been weird even if they had done it in two movies (though apparently GDT wanted to do the book as movie one and some apocrypha sequel stuff as movie two which would have been better), but to make it 3 you have to get 9 complete acts in 3 complete 3-act structures out of one book that most competent adults can read in maybe 3 hours... it's not a good look.

Especially when they left out several key scenes that would have improved the packing and characterisation because they wanted DVD extras.

E: Re-rail: if you think there will even be a film industry by the time it comes to making movies about this period of history, what do you think Brexit: The Movie will look like?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Payndz posted:

It's a while since I'd seen that (I'd completely forgotten about the poor bastard who spends half the fight in flames), but yeah, it's infinitely better than that Hobbit clip. Probably because you can see what's going on the whole time since the camera isn't whirling and flying and doing impossible Matrix moves through the scene as fifty-three things happen at once. And when there's a gag (like Evie yanking Rick out of the way of the bullets coming through the wall behind him), there's a moment for the audience to laugh before the action carries on. Rather than "Raaargh, now I'm Barrel-Man!" [action continues at exactly the same tempo as before]

Also the assassin leaping up the side of the boat at Rick is a wonderful demonstration of Every Frame a Painting's claim that "things entering the frame is funny"

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

to swing it around back to politics, Scotland lost out on the Netflix Amazon Prime Lord of the Rings show (potentially a £1b budget) largely because of brexit uncertainty. So its gone to NZ.

Also I'm very excited to move back to NZ, and have another midnight skype interview on Tuesday (not LoTR related tho)

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah I've been to Hobbiton. It was pretty cool I suppose.

All this talk of CGI stuff though.

Know what was cool? Animatronics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVi2klX_feE

Obviously Mortal Kombat was a dumb movie and the effect they're going for here with the 4-armed Goro is kind of cheesy, but the effects are dope as hell. Look at the drat movements of his face and arms.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Strom Cuzewon posted:

del Toro has an entire wikipedia page dedicated to his incomplete projects, and every single one of them is absolute gold: At the Mountains of Madness

gently caress I really want that now.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Marmaduke! posted:

Apologies to anyone interested in UK politics who didn't want to sit through 500 pages of LOTR chat. Also have been to Hobbiton nad spoke with a bus driver who worked on the films therefore my opinion is higher than anyone else's, unless maybe you've blown a dwarf.

Sunday Sport always delivers.

thespaceinvader posted:

E: Re-rail: if you think there will even be a film industry by the time it comes to making movies about this period of history, what do you think Brexit: The Movie will look like?

This but worse:

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Marmaduke! posted:

There's no blowing going on but one of the cool things about those videos earlier was that she got to inverview the actor playing Oin and he was willing to talk poo poo about it all.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

thespaceinvader posted:

The pacing is horrible because they had to pad the everloving poo poo out of it to make it 3 3 hour movies.

It didn't help that they decided to do this after they'd finished filming it as a two parter and the first part was months from release.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Qwertycoatl posted:

There's no blowing going on but one of the cool things about those videos earlier was that she got to inverview the actor playing Oin and he was willing to talk poo poo about it all.

He talked an epic amount of poo poo and it was really sad to see. There was a good move buried under all the flim-flam.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/Lokinash06/status/1180925310793064448

"Libdems: we'll take in any old crap."

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Steve2911 posted:

It didn't help that they decided to do this after they'd finished filming it as a two parter and the first part was months from release.

Someone edited them down into one film that contained nothing that wasn't in the book. You'll have to steal it off the internet of course.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

thespaceinvader posted:

The first movie will focus on the joy of the Olympics, before ominously ending the movie on a shot of Corbyn sitting in a Nando's as a diplomatic car from the Soviet embassy pulls up.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

What drives a Tory MP to switch over to the Lib Dems? I mean if they were just able to keep grifting as they are, then I assume they'd stick with the Tories because it'd be easier to keep getting re-elected, so it must be either a) they think the Tories won't get elected again at their constituency, or perhaps b) their campaign donors are mostly pro-Remain, and it's getting hard to keep a pro-Remain view while in the Tories?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Pochoclo posted:

What drives a Tory MP to switch over to the Lib Dems? I mean if they were just able to keep grifting as they are, then I assume they'd stick with the Tories because it'd be easier to keep getting re-elected, so it must be either a) they think the Tories won't get elected again at their constituency, or perhaps b) their campaign donors are mostly pro-Remain, and it's getting hard to keep a pro-Remain view while in the Tories?

Lib Dems are Tories with a nicer logo OP

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The first movie will focus on the joy of the Olympics, before ominously ending the movie on a shot of Corbyn sitting in a Nando's as a diplomatic car from the Soviet embassy pulls up.
I want to see that film.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Pochoclo posted:

they're bored/tired of being an MP so why not make a stand?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

MGS-credits style Jeremy Corbyn on the telephone: "I told them I voted remain........yes, yes, of course they'll believe that. They'll never know I secretly voted leave........yes, I got Momentum to cover your agents' tracks........No problem.......thank you............Comrade Putin."

Pochoclo posted:

At this point, the Libdems are more or less yellow Tories - without hyperbole, they're being run by a goddamn Tory who managed to out Tory the Tories, who is purposely aiming for that Cameron style :airquote: Compassionate Conservatism :airquote: that they feel comfortable with.

Some of it is probably wanting to avoid being tarnished with the fallout of a No Deal, at risk of being given the boot by the Tory voters, disliking Joris Bohnson, or just deciding that being an independent (CUK or otherwise) is political suicide. They're certainly not going to join Labour.

Maybe this is one last grift. There's always the chance for them to hop back over to the blue side if they managed to claw their way in, but see the which way they believe the wind is blowing. :shrug:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I know this is unfortunately topical for this thread lately, Big Nev has given his Twitter account over to https://twitter.com/Cradle_EPL, a charity to help support people effected by early pregnancy loss.

https://twitter.com/NevilleSouthall/status/1180943075801219072

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pesky Splinter posted:

MGS-credits style Jeremy Corbyn on the telephone: "I told them I voted remain........yes, yes, of course they'll believe that. They'll never know I secretly voted leave........yes, I got Momentum to cover your agents' tracks........No problem.......thank you............Comrade Putin."
Send my regards to the future president.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pochoclo posted:

Dorrell's not even an MP, he "stood aside" in 2015 to spend more time with his accountants family.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Dorrell's not even an MP, he "stood aside" in 2015 to spend more time with his accountants family.

Lmao what's even the point of making an announcement video like that then? It's centrist melt meaninglessness as gently caress

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What's the difference between Tories and Lib Dems post 2012?

Pochoclo posted:

It's centrist melt meaninglessness as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Libdems courting the tories rather than Labour is good imo