Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

SirPhoebos posted:

Murder harder.

Its already like a knife convention most of the time. What happens is I stab everyone, get a comfortable 2-3k respect lead and then a few years later my Doge randomly dies at thirty-five and in the meantime the other houses have sunk 2-3k gold into campaigns without me noticing.

Also one of them somehow got the title of Kingdom of Africa after I gave it to a family member for amusement and the rest are at least superdukes because of ??? and oh my god don't ever let your other houses get landed it's such a mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

FreudianSlippers posted:

For some reason one of the counts in my Hispanic empire is Indian, specifically Telugu from a culture on the south-eastern coast of the subcontinent. Another branch of his family, the one in the Canarias, has somehow become Berber. All of them are Catholic.

No idea how they got here.
That's just CK2. I had Romuva Sweden in Fergana valley.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
The weirdest one I saw was when Kolguyev, (that little tribal island way up in the arctic sea) was inexplicably ruled by a series of Indian, Tibetan, and Chinese culture rulers for 7 or 8 generations, totally independent and all of them following one of several different eastern religions. I never did figure out how they got there

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That's one of those ridiculous things that CK2 accidentally made a lot more likely from an event where a strange traveler from the far east comes to stay at your castle and leaves you with a courtier from a distant culture, which can wind up making a bigger impact than you'd expect. Similarly most Jews in courts are event-created, which can sometimes lead to random flips. I had the entire Kingdom of Italy go Jewish once for a little while after the king of Italy married one of them. Traces of that stuck around for a long time. Immortal quest chains usually produce some exotic pagan characters, all kinds of stuff.

Which isn't exactly ahistorical. The jewish courtier events are supposed to represent a minority group that isn't otherwise acknowledged by game mechanics (and sort of to provide a counterpoint to the ability to expel the jews), and there are historical cases of those minorities winding up with significant power. There's also lots of examples of populations just up and moving across the map for various reasons, most notably the Romani, but there were even more mass migrations back before the earliest start date in the early medieval period.

But it's still annoying when the Confederates convert to a new brand of christianity so now I can't holy war them without the Canucks feeling the need to come into things. Although it was nice when Pennsylvania flipped to Atomicists so the Anabaptists of New York State couldn't stop me from carving my way to New England.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

SirPhoebos posted:

I made my first attempt at playing the Byzantines but found it really frustrating because I was in constant civil wars. I'd like some help on how to play them (especially after being told the 40-something minor titles matter for picking your successor)

Having an iron grip on the Byzantine throne isn't hard these days, and with my method you may not always get the heir you want, but your successor will almost always be of your dynasty.

Two Simple Rules for Being Basileus Forever:
1. Breed/Educate males as hard as you would for a merchant republic except you want superior warriors as though you were pagan.

2. Fill your council and commander roster with as many dynasty members as possible, sometimes even if they suck.

Much like there are those two rules, there are two reasons why those rules exist:

1. Candidates for the next Basileus consist of your close family (including MY WIFE), your marshal, ALL your commanders, and title claimants.

2. The electorate consists of you, ALL your councillors, and ALL your commanders.

Because of this, if you fill your council and commander roster with your martially educated family, the vast majority of candidates will be your family, and the vast majority of the electorate eilll be family (and thus more inclined to elect a relative over, say, some random dickhead claimant). And the better their marshal the more likely they are to be elected. Also stack these family members with the huge amount of honorary titles the Byzantines have now to boost their voting power/suitability as the next Basileus.

Basically you're brute-force rigging the game. It's not a perfect system because occasionally you might get a shittier ruler, but if you do these things, the Byzantine throne should always remain under your control.

As for the civil wars and poo poo, that has very little to do with the Byzantine imperial elective and more to do with bog standard vassal management. Take care of your vassals as best you can, and use imperial rule/viceroyalties to brutally own dessenters and you should do alright, same as any other mostly-feudal government.

Also remember that imperial government lets you hold cities and castles without penalty, so lol if you're not stacking castles/cities in constantinople and/or rome.

Also just read this closely: https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Imperial_elective

Imperial Elective is kind of its own beast and it pays to get familiar if you intend to do a Byz run.

:siren:Edit: I forgot a VERY IMPORTANT detail: with imperial elective government a person can only be a commander if they're landed. So if you use my methods you'll need to land your males to make them eligible for being a commander. This is usually how I end up with shittier rulers because I end up making dudes that suck commanders out of necessity and occasionally those rejects actually get elected. :siren:

But even then, a lovely ruler can be somewhat reformed. If you can hit 10 learning with the help of the scholarship focus, then do it and go hermetic until they poo poo out magnum opus, then go theology focus and join the benedictines. The benedictine order gives your dude tons of good traits and helps eliminate bad ones. I've had many a lovely ruler turn out pretty rad by doing that.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Oct 4, 2019

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

not this poo poo again

not this far west

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Yashichi posted:

not this poo poo again

not this far west

:black101:
:china:

E: I really dig the wee lil Italian enclave in the southwest

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
It says western protectorate, can't think of a better place for them

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Honky Dong Country posted:

:black101:
:china:

E: I really dig the wee lil Italian enclave in the southwest

It's not an enclave, it's a crusader state (the enclave naming is in EU4)

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

super fart shooter posted:

It says western protectorate, can't think of a better place for them

:hmmyes:

Yashichi posted:

It's not an enclave, it's a crusader state (the enclave naming is in EU4)

My man, it's a tiny lil bit of Italian territory in an otherwise Spanish/Andalusian land, I'm calling it an enclave

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Yashichi posted:

not this poo poo again

not this far west

ByzLP will live again one day

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

SlothfulCobra posted:

Which isn't exactly ahistorical. The jewish courtier events are supposed to represent a minority group that isn't otherwise acknowledged by game mechanics (and sort of to provide a counterpoint to the ability to expel the jews), and there are historical cases of those minorities winding up with significant power. There's also lots of examples of populations just up and moving across the map for various reasons, most notably the Romani, but there were even more mass migrations back before the earliest start date in the early medieval period.

Yeah, it's like that argument over game about 15th century Bohemia, Kingdom Come Deliverance. There were plenty of overreactions there but basically dev ridiculed people who mentioned it'd be nice to have a bigger diversity among characters. And dev had argued there's no way there are black people in 15th century Bohemia. This is not true, you can imagine plenty of plausible scenarios, but they would be all very unlikely so the devs were totally justified in not doing that. Instead they focused on historically plausible things like getting healing and night vision potions from alchemy.

The stories we want to hear - even if they are historical - are not about ordinary or the most likely outcomes. That's why every historical movie or game ever takes cool things that were rare to happen and talk about them. In Crusader Kings 2 it means that every merchant republic gets Romeo and Juliet event. Everyone gets courtesies from faraway exotic places, everyone who learns theology is susceptible to heresy as if there's an Eye of Terror corrupting their mind. Also every superstition about secret Satanists is true.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

not if you turn all that sh*t off (as you should)

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I'm just gonna throw out this out there but there's a very credible theory that says medieval bohemia was up to 100% black.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

excuse me boii??

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Always fun to see the Aztecs pop early but this is really quite a thing. No idea what has been going on in Europe and with the ERE already dead it looks like Christianity itself may be doomed.

It's going to be a bloodbath.

E: Oh and Mongols also spawned - right into a massive fuckoff Western Protectorate that has gone through two expanionist golden age emperors already.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Oh man, I'm kinda chomping at the bit to actually loving win in Spain. I'm trying 1066 start with Leon. Let's see if I can holy war myself some chunk on Iberia

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

the wiki says offensive pagans can use a powerful pagan invasion CB to take whole kingdoms, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen it- just the Norse one, which has its own section so I think this is something different. anyone know?

Also what would be a good kingdom name for a kingdom mostly matching Moldavia - I’m going with Dacia for now, but I’m not 100% on it. almost went with Scythia or Sarmatia But those ancient kingdoms were centered more on crimea. ]I ask because the region wasn’t actually named, as far as I can tell, until the Vlachs moved in in the thirteenth century and created the principality. and even then it was apparently named after some guy’s horse, so I figure it wouldn’t have the same name in my alternate history. another considered alternative is Kingdom Of Maramureș but I don’t like that one as much. Dacia is much snappier.

it’s pretty difficult to find any info on the region from the fall of Rome to the 1300s - seems like it was mostly just a place steppe nomads rode thru on their way to invade europe. serious suggestions only please

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What am I supposed to do with religion in the ERE? Just pick orthodox or iconoclast and go with it? (Assuming I’m not doing anything weird with it)

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

KDdidit posted:

What am I supposed to do with religion in the ERE? Just pick orthodox or iconoclast and go with it? (Assuming I’m not doing anything weird with it)

not sure what sort of answer you’re looking for. you can do that, sure. I was messalian in my Armenia run and had to kneel to the emperor in order to save myself from the abbasids, and he never gave me any trouble for it. does that count as weird.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The thing with the ERE that really bothers me is needing commanders to be landed, but other than that it's decent to manage. As well you can just easily mod the Emperor to have 9999 voting power so whoever you say goes.

KDdidit posted:

The real answer is Hellenic. :hist101::colbert: (If you want to stay Christian the only difference between Orthodoxy and Iconoclasm is you can't convert the Varangians with Iconoclasm iirc)

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just meant as Basileus should you just pick one of the two and go converting until you’re done?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

KDdidit posted:

Just meant as Basileus should you just pick one of the two and go converting until you’re done?

Yeah they are heresies of each other so there will be rebels until you stomp one out.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

a fatguy bald spot posted:

the wiki says offensive pagans can use a powerful pagan invasion CB to take whole kingdoms, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen it- just the Norse one, which has its own section so I think this is something different. anyone know?

I think all (unreformed?) offensive pagans of non-nomadic government can use Prepared Invasions if they are between 10-50 realm size and the potential target also meets certain criteria. The Daring doctrine for reformed pagans also enables this. Not especially useful for you personally (as you probably have > 50 realm size in the first place to control 3 holy sites), but it can enable your vassals to expand on your behalf. That's how I've been able to get such a massive realm as Occultist Atlantica. I'm constantly at 90% threat because my vassals keep expanding like mad.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Neurion posted:

I think all (unreformed?) offensive pagans of non-nomadic government can use Prepared Invasions if they are between 10-50 realm size and the potential target also meets certain criteria. The Daring doctrine for reformed pagans also enables this. Not especially useful for you personally (as you probably have > 50 realm size in the first place to control 3 holy sites), but it can enable your vassals to expand on your behalf. That's how I've been able to get such a massive realm as Occultist Atlantica. I'm constantly at 90% threat because my vassals keep expanding like mad.

hmm, I was recently unreformed pagan in my Moldavia game (Catholic now tho, not reformed) and didn’t see an option for a prepared invasion on any other kingdom. I can check an earlier save I think

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Prepared invasion is only for some pagans, only Germanic in the normal game. Not to be confused with tribal invasion that all tribal rulers can do, nomad invasion, muslim invasion, decadence invasion, manifest destiny invasion, and sanctioned invasion.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

Prepared invasion is only for some pagans, only Germanic in the normal game. Not to be confused with tribal invasion that all tribal rulers can do, nomad invasion, muslim invasion, decadence invasion, manifest destiny invasion, and sanctioned invasion.

I've never been able to figure out the point of sanctioned invasions. There's so many restrictions on them that you will almost always have an easier to use CB available.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I've never been able to figure out the point of sanctioned invasions. There's so many restrictions on them that you will almost always have an easier to use CB available.

a CB that grabs such big chunks is pretty rare, if you can get the pope to like you a lot and/or excommunicate someone, you can expand pretty massively in one war. more CB options is good imo especially if they’re limited like requested invasions.

SlothfulCobra posted:

how do you do a tribal invasion then?? is it a kingdom level CB?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Tribal invasions I believe are culture specific and mostly exist as a pre-horse lords thing. It's what the Altaic or Magyar cultures would use to do their big horde invasions but with Horse Lords everyone with those cultures is nomadic and get a different CB to do the same thing.

Looking it up, it looks like also the once per lifetime invasion CB that the Alexander/Ashoka bloodlines can use is also considered a tribal invasion, although that's likely just a matter of the devs going "well we already have this CB in the code that nobody uses anymore - let's just make it that".

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Tribal invasions I believe are culture specific and mostly exist as a pre-horse lords thing. It's what the Altaic or Magyar cultures would use to do their big horde invasions but with Horse Lords everyone with those cultures is nomadic and get a different CB to do the same thing.

Looking it up, it looks like also the once per lifetime invasion CB that the Alexander/Ashoka bloodlines can use is also considered a tribal invasion, although that's likely just a matter of the devs going "well we already have this CB in the code that nobody uses anymore - let's just make it that".

according to the wiki, all offensive pagans can use it, and I was Tengri (tho maybe Romanian culture had something to do with it? also playing HIP so for all I know they removed it entirely)

Dr. Lucien Sanchez
Jan 19, 2011
I had an interesting event the other day, which I can't seem to find any mention of. I was playing as a Shia Berber kingdom in NW Africa, and just a couple of months after forming a custom empire, the event popped up -- I believe it was titled "A Call for Help" -- and it was essentially saying that the Shia population of Egypt were suffering under Sunni rule and were beseeching me for aid. I clicked the accept option and immediately was at war. I initially assumed is would be a religious liberation, but no, just an automatic Invasion of Egypt against the Abbasids (We won!).

Now, there definitely had been a child Shia caliph who I think ruled Egypt because I had betrothed one of my daughters to him and been allied. But he seemed to have converted to Sunni? I'm not entirely sure if that's what happened or indeed if that is possible. It was a pretty cool event though and I ended up nearly doubling my empire as a result. Anyone ever had this?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I've only had it work once in all my games, and it was against the queen of Serbia, who the pope really hated.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I decided to do something I've never done before: I made a Shattered World start, then took control of a guy in Ireland, used cheats to give him control of the entire Kingdom of Ireland area, a bunch of wealth/prestige/tech and a bunch of troops, not to mention a full set of hacked advisors.

Then I made him Aztec, and used cheats to make his entire realm culturally, religiously, and ethnically Aztec.

Then I hosed off to take control of a count in Eastern Europe. I plan to watch and see what the AI is able to do, and maybe see a cool Aztec takeover from the West, but with a way more stable base than Sunset Invasion.

I dunno, it seemed neat to me :unsmith:

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
I'm generally pretty unlikely to rename things in computer games when the game gives you a default/randomly generated option (except when my kids are watching and want to chip in - I have multiple animals across various games called "Rose" and "Lily", thanks to my daughter).

But my ruler had a daughter in CK2 and her name looked very close to (and like it should be) Wafflehead, so I renamed her. What I learned is that if you do this, the game adds that name into circulation, at least for that family. Unbeknownst to me until much later, Wafflehead the Festive had a granddaughter also called Wafflehead.

I guess it's probably a well-known feature, but it amused me when I came across Wafflehead the Clueless.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Every now and then someone asks for a CK3 that takes place entirely in a throne room where you delegate everything, and it looks like they're getting their wish: https://kotaku.com/being-king-doesnt-look-easy-in-upcoming-medieval-manage-1838701491

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKjJarr-cWE

Kinda looks like a cross between CK2 and Papers Please and looks like it is extremely my poo poo.

As someone who loves spergy strategy, medieval settings, point-and-click adventures and pixel art games in general, it's fair to say this game looks incredibly intriguing to me. Thank you for making me aware of it.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
The Gamer Dark Triad

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

I'm generally pretty unlikely to rename things in computer games when the game gives you a default/randomly generated option (except when my kids are watching and want to chip in - I have multiple animals across various games called "Rose" and "Lily", thanks to my daughter).

But my ruler had a daughter in CK2 and her name looked very close to (and like it should be) Wafflehead, so I renamed her. What I learned is that if you do this, the game adds that name into circulation, at least for that family. Unbeknownst to me until much later, Wafflehead the Festive had a granddaughter also called Wafflehead.

I guess it's probably a well-known feature, but it amused me when I came across Wafflehead the Clueless.

This is actually more likely in certain cultures, too, so sometimes depending on how widely you land your dynasty you can see your stupid joke name popping up all over the world.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I know this is almost certainly old news but I love the little detail for dragon's blood:

Where after enough time passes the picture becomes an actual dragon and changes their culture to 'dragon' because folklore.

Also being able to burn anyone alive for only piety cost and no opinion malus is great.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Rynoto posted:

I know this is almost certainly old news but I love the little detail for dragon's blood:

Where after enough time passes the picture becomes an actual dragon and changes their culture to 'dragon' because folklore.

Also being able to burn anyone alive for only piety cost and no opinion malus is great.

I desperately want this :stare:

Looks funny as hell

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I've found a bug in ATE: I keep getting this message:

The game keeps creating the title, as well as lowborns named Adam to hold it, and then it won't stop bugging me about this non-existent Empire collapsing. Killing the holder via console commands doesn't help. Nor does using the commands to usurp the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

I keep getting a bug where my children are joining the varangian guard at age like 2. Actually random NPCs in every state are also becoming varangian guard

Is this my custom character having had that trait at start, or having started as the Roman culture, or something with shattered world?