Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Why does Nyla Rose, the largest woman, not simply eat the other wrestler?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I hope Ryo Mizunami comes back, she was cool as gently caress.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Jim Cornette is a racist, sexist old man who rants about size yet pushed 5'9" Dirty White Boy/TL Hopper as a main eventer in his lovely regional promotion that also leaned on racial prejudice angles. He sucks through and through.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MJeff posted:

Jim's also started calling Kenny "Kenny Olivier" or something. I have no idea what the context of this is but given none I can only assume it's "ha ha girl's name" which....gently caress you, Jim!

He’s calling him that because of Laurence Olivier, because he thinks Omega is a prentious stage actor instead of a wrestler

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Kenny Olivier would be a p. good wrestling name

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Trying to burn someone by comparing them to Lawrence Olivier is a pretty incredible self-own

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Aesop Poprock posted:

He’s calling him that because of Laurence Olivier, because he thinks Omega is a prentious stage actor instead of a wrestler

Huh.

That's less bad than I thought.

Well apparently that guy has a buttload of oscar noms, so joke's on you Corny. :colbert:

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

MJeff posted:

Huh.

That's less bad than I thought.

Well apparently that guy has a buttload of oscar noms, so joke's on you Corny. :colbert:

please watch Rebecca or Marathon Man or something

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Deciding to burn somebody by calling him by the name of a guy who has a loving statue in front of The National Theatre and is one of the most well-regarded and appreciated actors of all time is exactly the sort of dumb burn you’d expect from someone constantly photographed wearing Family Guy tee shirts

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

WatermelonGun posted:

I dunno, those don't sound like they belong to any cinematic universe I've heard of....

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Please do not watch Rebecca without having first read the book, which is an all-time great

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

jesus WEP posted:

Please do not watch Rebecca without having first read the book, which is an all-time great

https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/945476040150810629?lang=en

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Or you could just watch any of his Shakespeare productions, they’re all incredible and you can also marvel at the fact that the dude had basically all of the plays he made into movies memorized front to back and he could switch from performing one character in, say, Hamlet to a completely different character in Henry V at the snap of a finger as you go through them.

Or the movies he made with Otto Preminger. Or his role in Spartacus. Or Wuthering Heights if you want capital-S Sexy Olivier.

What Buddy Murphy is to Kenny Omega is what Kenneth Branagh is to Laurence Olivier.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

That post really did my head in.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jim Cornette gave us performance data on what happens when you push a fat gently caress off a scaffold so there’s that.

I mean the dude thinks inciting a crowd to riot is good booking. I’ve been in riots. They suck. Jim Cornette is a dumbass.

Still chuckle at the time the progressive dweebs on Citizen Radio had Cornette on and less than a month later he goes on an anti-muslim rant.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

coconono posted:

Jim Cornette gave us performance data on what happens when you push a fat gently caress off a scaffold so there’s that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2m24JlJOW4

such a horrifying bump. It's a miracle he didn't paralyze himself

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Low Desert Punk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2m24JlJOW4

such a horrifying bump. It's a miracle he didn't paralyze himself

Cornette is an old school trained professional, he knows to always take a high spot bump directly on your tailbone and make sure to compress your spine vertically to absorb the shock. Also keep your head tilted back when you land to really whip your dumb melon head around.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

lmao that's terrible.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Cornette hates any wrestling that isn't exactly like the stuff that made him money in the past or is currently making him money. He will happily drop all of his convictions of what good wrestling is if you hand him a stack of cash.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

cornette worked himself into a shoot because his gimmick has made him toxic to any major company wanting to do business with him

now all he has are his sycophants and terrible podcast

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

Cornette hates any wrestling that isn't exactly like the stuff that made him money in the past or is currently making him money. He will happily drop all of his convictions of what good wrestling is if you hand him a stack of cash.

He really is the most pure of carnival shithead.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Gaz-L posted:

I think he's basically combining his idea of Omega and co 'pretending' to be wrestlers with the (to be fair, arguably accurate) idea of Kenny as a tryhard, therefore he's the self-proclaimed Laurence Olivier of 'play-wrestlers'.
Even though he goes in on Omega for talking about being an artist but not Bret Hart.

quote:

And, honestly, Bix, I think the NXT week one review should've made it clear before now. His argument was 'these are 4 girls I don't know in a match I don't care about' which is... the point is supposedly to introduce the talent to the audience and somehow having a match is bad for this?
Oh, I agree. But I feel like it's been getting progressively worse and worse over the last several months along with his takes in general getting darker and more mean-spirited across the board.

quote:

I mean, can someone look up the first episode of SMW and tell us how the 'master' introduced his talent to an audience?
This whole "explain it to me!" mentality from Corny—and he's not even the only one—drives me crazy for a number of reasons. It's just a roundabout way to call fans dumb marks, for one. Even if there are little things in formatting shows and on commentary where he's right to say that the shows should be a little more explanatory, I have no idea what he's even expecting most of the time. Especially since he hasn't given specific examples of how he would do it the way he did with his (very constructive) Raw reviews.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

quote:

So RAW gets a new GM who basically looks like Stalin or Guevara or so and as a social experiment he makes RAW the communist center of WWE while SmackDown focuses on pure capitalism. Every sports entertainer gets paid the same and there's no buffet backstage; everyone gets a lunch box for the day. Most of the main event players are not cool with that so they look to get drafted to SmackDown but the RAW GM closes the borders, so to speak, and refuses to make deals with the SD GM unless it's about sending SD superstars to RAW, of course. There could be a few outliers though for the surprise effect (people's contracts running out and getting hired by SD).

The low carders on the other hand love getting paid as much as the big players and there's free health insurance so they happily stay and form some kind of bond amongst each other and become close friends. They become some kind of wolfpack, if you will.

The people on SD watch and have split opinions among them as well, which means tons of potential feuds with the bigger guys fighting against the smaller guys and alliances forming and so on. There could be a mini-revolution in SD with a small stable of rich people holding everyone down and hiring heel low carders as henchmen.

Anyways, it all leads up to, of course, Survivor Series. There would actually be a reason to cheer for either brand. It's not RAW vs SD for the sake of it like usual. It's a war between the brands and a "civil" war among the brands themselves, so in the big team match people might turn on each other, but they have to work together, too. It could also be people forming alliances cross-brand (rich people supporting each other, pro-communism superstars helping each other).

Thoughts?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

This hurts. I wish I could go back in time and stop myself from reading this.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

quote:

So RAW gets a new GM who basically looks like Stalin or Guevara or so and as a social experiment he makes RAW the communist center of WWE while SmackDown focuses on pure capitalism. Every sports entertainer gets paid the same and there's no buffet backstage; everyone gets a lunch box for the day.

“Surely a buffet-style layout, perhaps even with potluck elements, better embodies leftist principles than simply tossing a pre-made meal at everyone regardless of need” I thought to myself, just before I realized that I’d already given far more deliberation to his first sentence (that is, “any”) than the author had to this entire stupid :smaug: thing he’s written and now I’m a little embarrassed with myself that I wasted my time and brain-space

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I feel like that guy has a lot of opinions on what he thinks the Constitution says

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

SatansOnion posted:

“Surely a buffet-style layout, perhaps even with potluck elements, better embodies leftist principles than simply tossing a pre-made meal at everyone regardless of need” I thought to myself, just before I realized that I’d already given far more deliberation to his first sentence (that is, “any”) than the author had to this entire stupid :smaug: thing he’s written and now I’m a little embarrassed with myself that I wasted my time and brain-space

I'm not even kidding the exact same thing happened to me.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

WatermelonGun posted:

My personal favorite Olivier film is Sleuth, which only stars him and one other actor, who just so happens to be Michael Caine. So AEW should do a skit with Kenny as Olivier and Moxley as Caine, is what I'm saying.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Mox would turn up as Caine from Get Carter.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Sydney Bottocks posted:

My personal favorite Olivier film is Sleuth, which only stars him and one other actor, who just so happens to be Michael Caine. So AEW should do a skit with Kenny as Olivier and Moxley as Caine, is what I'm saying.

i had never heard of this movie, but it looks great. thanks!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

WatermelonGun posted:

i had never heard of this movie, but it looks great. thanks!

Most welcome :)

Gaz-L posted:

Mox would turn up as Caine from Get Carter.

I'm fine with that. :c00l:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Is that the Sherlock Holmes one with the gimmick of Watson being the genius and Sherlock some old drunk he hired to be the public face so he could maintain some degree of privacy for himself?

Edit: Nope, I was thinking of "Without A Clue"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

Is that the Sherlock Holmes one with the gimmick of Watson being the genius and Sherlock some old drunk he hired to be the public face so he could maintain some degree of privacy for himself?

Without a Clue is what you're thinking of.

Ben Kingsley played Watson.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Edit: Nope, I was thinking of "Without A Clue"

Yeah, Sleuth is a two-man play that was adapted into film in 1972, it's one of my favorites because you can tell that neither man was going to be outshone by the other. There's a couple of great stories behind the making of it, too (and apologies for continuing a bit of a cinematic derail):

1. Caine was (understandably) nervous about working with Olivier, who had been made a Life Peer for his services to the arts. Finally he asked Olivier how he should address him. "I am the Lord Olivier and you are Mr. Michael Caine," said Olivier, then added "Of course, that's just for the first time we meet. Afterwards, I am Larry and you are Mike."

2. Partway through the film, Olivier told Caine words to the effect of "Before, I thought I would have an apprentice on this film. Now I see I have a partner."

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Yeah, Sleuth is a two-man play that was adapted into film in 1972, it's one of my favorites because you can tell that neither man was going to be outshone by the other. There's a couple of great stories behind the making of it, too (and apologies for continuing a bit of a cinematic derail):

1. Caine was (understandably) nervous about working with Olivier, who had been made a Life Peer for his services to the arts. Finally he asked Olivier how he should address him. "I am the Lord Olivier and you are Mr. Michael Caine," said Olivier, then added "Of course, that's just for the first time we meet. Afterwards, I am Larry and you are Mike."

2. Partway through the film, Olivier told Caine words to the effect of "Before, I thought I would have an apprentice on this film. Now I see I have a partner."

Sounds like Corny inadvertently paid Kenny a compliment, Olivier seems cool

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
He probably was going for that kind of sarcastic “great detective work, Sherlock” kinda zinger but it does come across more like an unintentional compliment.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

He probably was going for that kind of sarcastic “great detective work, Sherlock” kinda zinger but it does come across more like an unintentional compliment.

It's weird to me how your av/text is becoming more relevant all the time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Goddamn Olivier was so loving cool.

He's also the guy who did Marathon Man with Dustin Hoffman, saw him running around doing jumping jacks and asked why, and when Hoffman explained he needed to be sweaty and exhausted for the scene Olivier replied,"My dear boy, have you ever considered acting?"

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
"Hahaha stupid upstart Kenny OLIVIER is much like his namesake a nearly peerless master of his craft beloved by millions across the world for his stunning performances. His legacy shall surely be memorialized for decades to come hahaha. If he was smart he'd be remembered for using hate speech while getting stuck in a Wendy's drive through window, what a maroon!!"

- Extremely Relevant Guy James Cornette

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

So that was the inspiration for that Mitchell and Webb sketch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj5HTUr2Ki0