Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

TeaJay posted:

Oh yeah, that's a thing too. I wonder how it compares to the X7 concerning normal ROM use?

Fine? There's at least a dozen reviews of the MegaSD on youtube alone you could check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

And here I thought I was on a forum where I could ask for peoples' opinions on stuff I'm not well versed on instead of randomly googling stuff

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
automatic sales tax on eBay purchases makes me die

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

pzy posted:

automatic sales tax on eBay purchases makes me die

Thank Trump's hard on for Jeff Bezos for that one

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

TeaJay posted:

And here I thought I was on a forum where I could ask for peoples' opinions on stuff I'm not well versed on instead of randomly googling stuff

I have one. It is fine

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I also have a Mega SD. It's wholly replaced my X7 at this point (anyone want a used one? :v: ). Does everything I want it to do plus Sega CD *with* cheats.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Ironically my problem with the MEGA SD is that I can't have my Sega CD plugged in to use it.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

TeaJay posted:

Oh yeah, that's a thing too. I wonder how it compares to the X7 concerning normal ROM use?

Handles all cartridge roms with savestate and cheat support.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Yeah the Mega SD is pretty much entirely superior to the X7, if you have no interest in using the actual Sega CD hardware.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/ps2-last-remaining-way-to-play-cds-in-apartment/

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

My PS2 is still the primary DVD player in my house. It gets a lot of use.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

None of the consoles since then, that all have optical drives, support CD playback?

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Apparently the PS4 doesn't play CD's, but the PS3 and all XBoxes do. I wouldn't know, the newest console I have is a Nintendo Wii, there's a reason I'm posting in this thread.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Why doesn't the PS4 play CDs? Is there licensing involved?

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Ironically my problem with the MEGA SD is that I can't have my Sega CD plugged in to use it.

Yeah, my problem with it is that I'd need to get a different setup, since I currently use a CDX. 😂

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Sony co-created the compact disc with Phillips. So no, there aren't licensing issues. My educated guess is that the PS4 doesn't have an app in its OS that plays CDs.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

Cost saving on the laser assembly, perhaps? IIRC, CDs generally used infrared lasers, where DVDs used red and Blu-Ray, erm, blue. Though I thought that DVD lasers could also be used to read CDs, so it may well be that they considered CD playback to be so low use that it wasn't worth developing the playback features

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Or to goad you into signing up for a streaming media service.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

All music CD patents have been expired since the early 2000s, no one needs to pay license fees for that.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Star Man posted:

Sony co-created the compact disc with Phillips. So no, there aren't licensing issues. My educated guess is that the PS4 doesn't have an app in its OS that plays CDs.

It also doesn't play 4k blurays, and that was also a Sony joint. Unlike the PS3 where they stuck a little of everything on there, they stripped the PS4 down as much as they could get away with.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Milkman posted:

It also doesn't play 4k blurays, and that was also a Sony joint. Unlike the PS3 where they stuck a little of everything on there, they stripped the PS4 down as much as they could get away with.

4k Blu-Ray didn't exist until 2016, the base PS4 well pre-dates that and it's not something it could handle with just a software patch.

It is however weird they didn't put it in the PS4 Pro, which would otherwise be able to handle it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Ok so I tried a few more things with my gamecube, like booting into Majora's Mask via Swiss, since I don't own that disk.

So yeah, I think Ben drowned somewhere in my cube. I didn't go any further though, since the game crashed on me while trying to navigate through Clock Town. Since this was loaded directly from SD card, I think that rules out the disk laser as being the problem, so its something internal with the system. For funsies too, I ripped the file that contains the Ocarina roms from my copy of the OoT bonus disk using the gamecube, booted that file up in dolphin and didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

majora what's wrong. it'll be okay

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

Ok so I tried a few more things with my gamecube, like booting into Majora's Mask via Swiss, since I don't own that disk.

So yeah, I think Ben drowned somewhere in my cube. I didn't go any further though, since the game crashed on me while trying to navigate through Clock Town. Since this was loaded directly from SD card, I think that rules out the disk laser as being the problem, so its something internal with the system. For funsies too, I ripped the file that contains the Ocarina roms from my copy of the OoT bonus disk using the gamecube, booted that file up in dolphin and didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

Why don't you make a creepypasta story out of this. Maybe it'll be as big as ben drowned

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

fishmech posted:

4k Blu-Ray didn't exist until 2016, the base PS4 well pre-dates that and it's not something it could handle with just a software patch.

It is however weird they didn't put it in the PS4 Pro, which would otherwise be able to handle it.

I'm guessing Mark Cerny is still slapping wrists at Sony whenever anyone tries to fall into those old PS3 habits. Which he should.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Star Man posted:

Or to goad you into signing up for a streaming media service.

This was my assumption, since Spotify integration on PS4 is extremely deep to the point where Spotify have an entire Playstation subscription tier.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

So if anyone wants to watch me play through this in realtime, I'm streaming it now.

ChaosArgate posted:

Hey so my GameCube may or may not be hosed up so we're gonna stream some Ocarina of Time!

https://twitch.tv/chaosargate

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

So if anyone wants to watch me play through this in realtime, I'm streaming it now.

That's amazing.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

McCracAttack posted:

I'm guessing Mark Cerny is still slapping wrists at Sony whenever anyone tries to fall into those old PS3 habits. Which he should.

The original PS3 all was a good idea about 2-3 years too early. If anything it should have started stripped down and then added all of that functionality later. Really most of the launch PS3 is all things that are either standard now or should have been.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

The VOD itself is kinda garbage this time but I made a separate recording so I'll chop that up and get it posted somewhere eventually.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'm in town going round the second hand stores and there's a copy of Bubsy 3D for £5.

Do I?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

njsykora posted:

I'm in town going round the second hand stores and there's a copy of Bubsy 3D for £5.

Do I?
What could possibly go wrong?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Bubsy rises to the top! Of a ball of yarn

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im gonna be honest, prepare for dissapointment because its both bad and uninteresting

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I didn't get it. There was a copy of Soul Reaver I got instead. Also a Game Boy Camera I was tempted by.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The best feature of the GB camera was the shoot em up game. Take it from me, a moron who owned one.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

For some reason I got rid of my SNES years ago. Earlier this year I found these two leftovers when I was helping my parents clear out their house before they moved.

Now I want a SNES again. I also found my old Game Gear, without working sound. But it still runs!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Memories of me walking to FuncoLand and them refusing to sell me MK2 on the SNES on launch day and the cashier telling me "ask that stranger over there if he will buy it for you" and he did. Thank you anonymous stranger.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

manero posted:

I also found my old Game Gear, without working sound. But it still runs!

You may want to look into getting that repaired. Aside from the sound, Game Gears universally have problems with the capacitors. I haven't had mine repaired yet though since there's not much I'd play on it that I wouldn't rather play the Master System or Genesis equivalent of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manero
Jan 30, 2006

rujasu posted:

You may want to look into getting that repaired. Aside from the sound, Game Gears universally have problems with the capacitors. I haven't had mine repaired yet though since there's not much I'd play on it that I wouldn't rather play the Master System or Genesis equivalent of.

Heh, the only cart I have left over is Sonic. I suppose I could repair it and sell it, but I really have no urge to use the GG too much