Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/dcpoll/status/1180948077747814406

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

skeleton warrior posted:

Is there absolutely any evidence that the witness was murdered by police other than ACAB?

No, but if he had testified in a mob trial and then turned up dead, would there really be any doubt about what happened? Plus the symbolism of shooting him in the mouth

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sarcastr0 posted:

What did Glenn Greenwald do now? Twitter seems very mad, but no one is bothering to quote him.

He's doing that thing where he's criticizing all of Trump's critics and agreeing with Trump and his allies that the deep state is just out to get Trump.

Like the most recent thing I saw was him criticizing Chuck Todd for calling Ron Johnson a conspiracy theorist.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

jimmy carter. Total American Badass!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Greenwald is a huge piece of poo poo lmao

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He’s been also screaming about how bad this whistle blowing is which is just :ironicat: as hell

generally i can at least follow the internal logic of his insufferable contrarianism but this current row im just like what the gently caress

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Haha Donald Trump got punked by North Korea twice now.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Eisenhower had a complicated presidency that got largely glossed over and memory-holed into boring conformity, just like everything else about the 50s because the Boomers decided that they needed a square foil for the 60s (except where Elvis, et al. are concerned).

But Eisenhower called in his first SoTU to desegregate the military and demanded to spend basically whatever funds necessary to do that and also desegregate federal jobs. He leaned on the govt of DC to integrate its schools and bitched out his secretary of the Navy when told that ‘maybe it’d be better to respect local customs’ (with relation to segregation).

He proposed and signed the Civil Rights Acts of 1957 and 1960, which were the first of their kind since 1875 and set the precedent for the much more powerful CRAs of the 60s. The CRA of 57 established the first permanent civil rights office in the DOJ and a civil rights commission on voting rights abuse.

In 1957 he also sent the National Guard to Little Rock to protect the Little Rock 9 during the school riots.

He also deemed himself a “progressive conservative” and expanded/legitimized all of the new deal programs that he inherited from Truman by giving them departments (Dept of Education, etc) and greatly expanding their budgets.

He established the interstate highway system as a continuation of new deal programs.

He arguably pioneered the idea of cultivating a firsthand relationship with the media, holding almost 200 press conferences which was unprecedented at the time and influenced every singe president since.

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

“Should any party attempt to abolish social security and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group of course, that believes you can do these things (...) Their number is negligible and they are stupid”

wikipedia posted:

When the 1954 Congressional elections approached, it became evident that the Republicans were in danger of losing their thin majority in both houses. Eisenhower was among those who blamed the Old Guard for the losses, and he took up the charge to stop suspected efforts by the right wing to take control of the GOP. He then articulated his position as a moderate, progressive Republican: "I have just one purpose… and that is to build up a strong progressive Republican Party in this country. If the right wing wants a fight, they are going to get it… before I end up, either this Republican Party will reflect progressivism or I won't be with them anymore."

Eisenhower started the space race and ordered the first Air Force One and dramatically ramped up government funding of science and tech.

Eisenhower also made the Lavender Scare happen with an executive order and got several thousand LGBTQ (and many not) gov employees fired and put on watch lists and didn’t stop or counter Joe McCarthy out of fear of exposing/derailing the H-Bomb program (and many others) and allowed blackballing to happen and presided over the streamlining and vast explosion of the Military Industrial Complex (for all that he famously pontificated against it).

He presided over some of the most idiotically ill-advised and wantonly destructive nuclear tests for the sake of beating the Russians. He presided over an era of greatly increased anti communist paranoia. He pushed for the modernization of the government infrastructure, partially because it fit his vision of progressive conservatism but mostly because ‘you gotta be ready for when the bombs fall.’

His administration wrote the Bay of Pigs plan and went into Vietnam. They wrote the book on domino theory and laid the groundwork for expansive anti-leftist activity at home and abroad.

Eisenhower was complicated. He was the hero of World War 2 (and later, the Cold War)- esp after MacArthur flamed out and burned all his bridges politically. He was Square 50’s America, but he was also unrecognizably progressive compared to almost any Republican President who followed him.

So it’s easy for him to be kinda memory holed. He has a place of honor for his military and federal legacy and his even-keeled image. But people vaguely remember “I Like Ike” and then Kennedy happened and Now Its The Sixties! and that’s all she wrote.

Even the stuff that he had a hand in- like Little Rock- he’s usually not included in the public memory as much as Kennedy.

The boomer kids see him as the old world and would rather you listen to this Creedence CD (the Forrest Gump soundtrack!) and not think about him too much. Besides, way more interesting poo poo like Rock and Roll was happening at that time. But really those days were for squares and we saved the world from that, didn’t you know.

And Goldwater/Reaganites don’t want to think about him too much because he fits their conception of Republican-ism about the same as Teddy Roosevelt- he’s got the military stuff down but otherwise very un-Republican.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 6, 2019

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
The judge in the Amber Guyger trial tweeted that Joshua Brown was not shot in the mouth or head. Still, I'd like to see what the coroner report says. Also I'm going to guess that the cops never find any suspects in this case unless they look in the mirror.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Charliegrs posted:

The judge in the Amber Guyger trial tweeted that Joshua Brown was not shot in the mouth or head. Still, I'd like to see what the coroner report says. Also I'm going to guess that the cops never find any suspects in this case unless they look in the mirror.

just another random homicide in a safe neighborhood of a key trial witness something like 48 hours after sentencing of a cop, gotcha

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
lol.trump, bored and pouty like a toddler, will be in the front row for multiple former president funeral pictures forever.

Berke Negri posted:

just another random homicide in a safe neighborhood of a key trial witness something like 48 hours after sentencing of a cop, gotcha
God drat you guys are loving cynical. The cops might have just killed him for fun, it might not have anything to do with the other person they shot for fun.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

InsertPotPun posted:

lol.trump, bored and pouty like a toddler, will be in the front row for multiple former president funeral pictures forever.
They'll just keep not inviting him. And he won't care because he doesn't care about anyone or want to go to their funerals.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

empty whippet box posted:

So on the 19th when the white house refuses to comply with the subpoena for documents, which we absolutely 100% definitely already know is going to happen, at that point is it the DOJ that would have to act to arrest people for it? Or is it someone else? I am totally sure that whoever is supposed to enforce the subpoena is going to toadie out for trump but I don't know if it's barr or what.

House holds contempt vote -> Referral goes to DOJ -> Barr almost certainly refuses to prosecute -> House sues in civil court -> we all get real mad because of the lack of immediate gratification :v:

Tbf, we're getting to the point where the time involved in plodding through even fairly expeditious federal civil court becomes a factor worth considering.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

skeleton warrior posted:

Is there absolutely any evidence that the witness was murdered by police other than ACAB?

Its called not being a useful idiot. I'm tired of people telling me not to talk about the obvious atrocities in front of us. Do you also still believe in Santa?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
How long before we get "the whistle blowers were both democrats"?

Because lord knows the only way a republican can commit a crime is if another republican says he did.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

FFT posted:

Shot in the chest and mouth

the sourcing on this is an anonymous tip from the county medical examiner's office, according to / provided to Brown's (family's) lawyer

i'm more inclined to believe it than not, seeing as how this is the sort of public statement that might make judges annoyed at the lawyer, and the timing's obviously profoundly suspicious

also the medical examiner says the autopsy report won't be available for 90 days :thunk:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

How long before we get "the whistle blowers were both democrats"?

Because lord knows the only way a republican can commit a crime is if another republican says he did.

My hope is that the second whistleblower turns out to be Bolton lol

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

skeleton warrior posted:

Despite what TV and movies like to tell us, murders are almost never random acts of violence. Doubly so outside of mass events. Unless there's some other motivation for this murder, it would exceptionally weird for it not to be related.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

lol NK owns us yet again, nice diplomacy

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Yeah, "nothing to see here" is how it's being played.

quote:

Brown "was ambushed at his apartment complex as he got out of his car and (was) shot at close range," attorney Lee Merritt wrote in a Facebook post Saturday night. Merritt represents the Jean family.

He said a medical examiner told him Brown had been shot in the mouth and chest.

Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins refuted some of Merritt's comments in tweets Sunday, writing Brown "was not shot in the mouth or head but was shot more than one time" and "many career professionals are hard at work on this case."

The Dallas County Medical Examiner's Office told CNN by phone Sunday afternoon that it did not have any additional information to release in the Brown case other than his identification. A spokesperson for the medical examiner said the completed autopsy report will not be available for 90 days.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
Wasn't Amber Guyger's brother directly tied to some Neo Nazi dude and there was some evidence to suggest she knew him too or am I mixing up my Nazi Cops?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

FWIW

https://twitter.com/MeritLaw/status/1180646179178192896

e: he tweeted that after an earlier tweet about him being shot in the mouth

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

tecnocrat posted:

I live here in Dallas, it's 100% retaliation.

He was shot while exiting his car at his apartment. Two shots, one in the chest, and once in the mouth at close range. Nothing stolen.

Who shoots someone in the mouth except someone trying to send a message to others?

Yeah, this loving stinks to high heaven. I haven't smelled this much bullshit since the Epstein "suicide"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Strange Poon posted:

Wasn't Amber Guyger's brother directly tied to some Neo Nazi dude and there was some evidence to suggest she knew him too or am I mixing up my Nazi Cops?

Can't tell on a quick google, "amber guyger brother" and related searches come up with the trillions of articles about the victim's brother

but it did cross my mind that in addition to cops and cop sympathizers, boyfriend/friend/family of Guyger might be even more obvious suspects, so if your memory is accurate,

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Charliegrs posted:

So your saying people/person who did this might have known how to make a murder look less like murder.

Also how to not get caught.

hmmm......

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Apparently the practice of not releasing autopsy records "during ongoing criminal investigations", despite them technically being public record, goes back about 15 years in Texas. Odd that they'd say 90 days in this case rather than "until it won't interfere", but perhaps the normalization of it has changed the wording used.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Eisenhower had a complicated presidency that got largely glossed over and memory-holed into boring conformity, just like everything else about the 50s because the Boomers decided that they needed a square foil for the 60s (except where Elvis, et al. are concerned).

But Eisenhower called in his first SoTU to desegregate the military and demanded to spend basically whatever funds necessary to do that and also desegregate federal jobs. He leaned on the govt of DC to integrate its schools and bitched out his secretary of the Navy when told that ‘maybe it’d be better to respect local customs’ (with relation to segregation).

He proposed and signed the Civil Rights Acts of 1957 and 1960, which were the first of their kind since 1875 and set the precedent for the much more powerful CRAs of the 60s. The CRA of 57 established the first permanent civil rights office in the DOJ and a civil rights commission on voting rights abuse.

In 1957 he also sent the National Guard to Little Rock to protect the Little Rock 9 during the school riots.

He also deemed himself a “progressive conservative” and expanded/legitimized all of the new deal programs that he inherited from Truman by giving them departments (Dept of Education, etc) and greatly expanding their budgets.

He established the interstate highway system as a continuation of new deal programs.

He arguably pioneered the idea of cultivating a firsthand relationship with the media, holding almost 200 press conferences which was unprecedented at the time and influenced every singe president since.

Eisenhower started the space race and ordered the first Air Force One and dramatically ramped up government funding of science and tech.

Eisenhower also made the Lavender Scare happen with an executive order and got several thousand LGBTQ (and many not) gov employees fired and put on watch lists and didn’t stop or counter Joe McCarthy out of fear of exposing/derailing the H-Bomb program (and many others) and allowed blackballing to happen and presided over the streamlining and vast explosion of the Military Industrial Complex (for all that he famously pontificated against it).

He presided over some of the most idiotically ill-advised and wantonly destructive nuclear tests for the sake of beating the Russians. He presided over an era of greatly increased anti communist paranoia. He pushed for the modernization of the government infrastructure, partially because it fit his vision of progressive conservatism but mostly because ‘you gotta be ready for when the bombs fall.’

His administration wrote the Bay of Pigs plan and went into Vietnam. They wrote the book on domino theory and laid the groundwork for expansive anti-leftist activity at home and abroad.

Eisenhower was complicated. He was the hero of World War 2 (and later, the Cold War)- esp after MacArthur flamed out and burned all his bridges politically. He was Square 50’s America, but he was also unrecognizably progressive compared to almost any Republican President who followed him.

So it’s easy for him to be kinda memory holed. He has a place of honor for his military and federal legacy and his even-keeled image. But people vaguely remember “I Like Ike” and then Kennedy happened and Now Its The Sixties! and that’s all she wrote.

Even the stuff that he had a hand in- like Little Rock- he’s usually not included in the public memory as much as Kennedy.

The boomer kids see him as the old world and would rather you listen to this Creedence CD (the Forrest Gump soundtrack!) and not think about him too much. Besides, way more interesting poo poo like Rock and Roll was happening at that time. But really those days were for squares and we saved the world from that, didn’t you know.

And Goldwater/Reaganites don’t want to think about him too much because he fits their conception of Republican-ism about the same as Teddy Roosevelt- he’s got the military stuff down but otherwise very un-Republican.

Ike was good. He hated McCarthy, took a stand and told MacArthur to gently caress off, and recognized the MIC for what it was and would be. The last decent republican.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Strange Poon posted:

I dunno but statistically speaking yea probably

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

spunkshui posted:

So your saying people/person who did this might have known how to make a murder look less like murder.

Also how to not get caught.

hmmm......

Who the gently caress else would want to murder the guy?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone who hears that this guy shot and doesn't automatically understand that it was definitely a retaliatory killing by the police is honestly just a trash person whose opinion is worthless. How obvious does something have to be before people don't pull the 'let's wait for all the facts' card when a black person is murdered or a woman is sexually assaulted?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/1180969654220668928

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Industrial strength denial.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1180971632975908865?s=21

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

it's really amazing how birdbrained our media is where we have Very Serious Pundits going 'well see there was backlash when the right made impeaching Clinton into a very seedy moral panic thing more than about his illegal actions, so ergo there's always going to be backlash to impeachment' and the white house going 'yea they're right!'

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

They're absolutely right that they can get people to accept their frame through repetition. NYT reporting on the second whistleblower stressed that he had "first hand knowledge" - implicitly accepting that somehow that's important, versus someone just relating reliable information that has been extrinsically corroborated / proven to be true. In reporting the second whistleblower, they accept to some degree the absolute nonsense "hearsay" argument advanced by the administration

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

https://twitter.com/RudyGiuliani/status/1180804952492576768

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
"Biden bribed Ukrainian Pres"

that's new

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

Real or fake?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Strange Poon posted:

Her aunt's niece was a member of a violent white-supremacist gang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

empty whippet box posted:

Anyone who hears that this guy shot and doesn't automatically understand that it was definitely a retaliatory killing by the police is honestly just a trash person whose opinion is worthless. How obvious does something have to be before people don't pull the 'let's wait for all the facts' card when a black person is murdered or a woman is sexually assaulted?

Maybe we could meet in the middle and wait for, y’know, any facts