Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

0-2 in the Arena event, lost the second game against mardu knights who landed a Tournament Grounds turn 1 which allowed him to cast all of his spells by turn 3. I guess greed pays off in BO1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Fires of Invention is such a garbage card.

Haven't they learned their lessons with free casting costs yet?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i just went 5-2 in the mtg arena thing because the card i chose to scry to the bottom in my mulligan decided to change after i scryed, mana screwing me. sweet client. edit: also my no rares deck has gone up against golos field three times in a row in the play queue, glad things are fun today.

edit: okay the play queue algorithm must have changed massively because my one rare one mythic deck is facing nothing but meta decks

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 6, 2019

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I'm going to try the challenge with golos field. Playing against it in the queue it just seems to grab the game by the neck if it gets a turn 5+.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

4-2 with jeskai fires, at least I got a free Brazen Borrower out of it, lost to the Grixis Fires and to Golos (which is 80% of the decks participating), second one because I missed the window to click Cavalier.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
True, I was extremely surprised, pleasantly so, to get a couple cards out of the deal.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

5-2 with WBr Meow Mix. Seeing Midnight Reaper on the other side of the board really helped my plan of dealing them 1 damage anytime anything happens ever. Mayhem Devil slotting into food deck really stepped all over my fun. Whoever decided that it should trigger for both players saccing will be getting no cat cakes from me.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

6-2 with Bant Golos Field. Went 6-0 then last two I mulled into slow hands against fast boros decks.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I went 4-2 with the Golgari Adventures deck that won the MPL Split yesterday. Happy enough with that in a 50% winrate format. Lost to Rakdos Sacrifice and Grixis Control. Got a Lovestruck Beast and a Rankle in my rewards, too.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Bo1 should be open decklist. It's online, how hard is it to show us what our opponent's deck is? This is why magic isn't played Bo1! It only works in Hearthstone because you can tell what your opponent is playing by their avatar.

1-2 with jeskai fires. My first 2 games were against aggro that got to go first, but the 2nd guy misplayed hard. Game 3 I thought was a mirror match until they pulled out 3 maindeck absorb + mass manipulation.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 6, 2019

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

6-2'd the arena event with Cavalcade.

First loss because I didn't realize how spitfire worked, second was because I didn't shock a goose when I had the opportunity.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
2-2 with simic ramp. I liked the list a bit more than bant and it was a blast to play.
My two losses were pretty close too. First win even had me lying both oko and Nissan then playing a 32/33 voracious hydra the turn after.

Need more wildcards to make it though.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Count Bleck posted:

6-2'd the arena event with Cavalcade.

First loss because I didn't realize how spitfire worked, second was because I didn't shock a goose when I had the opportunity.

It's literally a Bird, though I suppose Shock isn't a Bolt so you didn't automatically know to Bolt the Bird.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
"Always shock the goose" sounds uncomfortably sexual though

edit: *pauly shore voice* no shockin' the goo-oose

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

sit on my Facebook posted:

:honk:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.cardknocklife.com/modern-meta-data-post-hogaak-ban/

You’ll never guess Modern’s best deck right now

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Mox Opal is marked for death. It is known

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yup. The main thing keeping me from even thinking about that deck is the high likelihood of a ban of expensive cards. Ancient stirrings or faithless looting would set you back under $10 for a playset. Mox Opal is $450 for your playset. That's too much risk on an obvious ban target. I don't expect it next announcement tomorrow, but it'll be soon unless someone finds a solution to the Urza family of decks rather quickly.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Don't you know youve got to shock the... goose?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

suicidesteve posted:

Don't you know youve got to shock the... goose?

Well there seems to be an absence of a certain ornithological piece: a headline regarding mass awareness of a certain avian variety.

What are you talking about?

Oh have you not heard? It was my understanding that everyone had heard...

Heard what?

OH WELL THE GOOSE, GOOSE, GOOSE, GOOSE GOOSE IS LOOSE.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Golos Field feels absolutely busted. Also what the hell were they thinking with Oko, that card is straight unkillable if you don't Murderous Rider it.

they really should have loving printed it into the ground like Tarmogoyf so they don't have to eventually ban a $200 card

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Golos Field feels absolutely busted. Also what the hell were they thinking with Oko, that card is straight unkillable if you don't Murderous Rider it.

they really should have loving printed it into the ground like Tarmogoyf so they don't have to eventually ban a $200 card

All 3 Throne Planeswalkers are basically unkillable except by removal or Questing Beast. The Royal Scions aren't in nearly as strong a deck right now as Oko, but a turn 3 Royal Scions is still basically there to stay unless they remove themselves with their ultimate. Even Garruk is basically glued to the board in that weird wolf deck that's making the rounds. Coming down turn 3 with basically 6 loyalty for the Oko and Scions is just nuts for anyone hoping to punch them down.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hellsau posted:

Golos Field feels absolutely busted

The effect and the name seem like they'd be on a Legendary land. It'd also make it a lot more fair mechanically.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Locke posted:

All 3 Throne Planeswalkers are basically unkillable except by removal or Questing Beast. The Royal Scions aren't in nearly as strong a deck right now as Oko, but a turn 3 Royal Scions is still basically there to stay unless they remove themselves with their ultimate. Even Garruk is basically glued to the board in that weird wolf deck that's making the rounds. Coming down turn 3 with basically 6 loyalty for the Oko and Scions is just nuts for anyone hoping to punch them down.

Oko and the Twins somehow feel that way in Modern too, I can’t imagine how Standard feels

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

rkajdi posted:

Yup. The main thing keeping me from even thinking about that deck is the high likelihood of a ban of expensive cards. Ancient stirrings or faithless looting would set you back under $10 for a playset. Mox Opal is $450 for your playset. That's too much risk on an obvious ban target. I don't expect it next announcement tomorrow, but it'll be soon unless someone finds a solution to the Urza family of decks rather quickly.

I have given up on Modern because for the last...two years?... it felt like every three months there is a new busted deck that you're either playing or losing to. This time it's Whirza. They won't ban anything tomorrow so we all get to watch it do its thing with Emry for a couple of months until WotC takes action.

W6 in Legacy and Astrolabe in Pauper are my candidates for tomorrow. Modern Horizons was a mistake, it turns out cards which you deem too strong for Standard just shouldn't be printed at all.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Katana Gomai posted:

I have given up on Modern because for the last...two years?... it felt like every three months there is a new busted deck that you're either playing or losing to. This time it's Whirza. They won't ban anything tomorrow so we all get to watch it do its thing with Emry for a couple of months until WotC takes action.

W6 in Legacy and Astrolabe in Pauper are my candidates for tomorrow. Modern Horizons was a mistake, it turns out cards which you deem too strong for Standard just shouldn't be printed at all.

In fairness, they didn’t seem Emry too strong for Standard and uh

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

TheKingofSprings posted:

Emry isn't that busted in a world without Mox and 0-mana artifact cantrips.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Emry is just a Modern Horizons card like Once upon a Time, pushed back to a regular set.

lol remember when they previewed Cabal Therapist for Modern Horizons and everyone was like, lol what is this garbage

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Hellsau posted:

Emry is just a Modern Horizons card like Once upon a Time, pushed back to a regular set.

lol remember when they previewed Cabal Therapist for Modern Horizons and everyone was like, lol what is this garbage

It was supposed to be one of the top ten cards in the set and looking back Im not sure I would put it in the top 50.

Basic snow lands have had more an impact on the format and they were a reprint.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

It was supposed to be one of the top ten cards in the set and looking back Im not sure I would put it in the top 50.

I wished it were regular Cabal Therapy but after Hogaak summer I take that back

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

AnEdgelord posted:

Snow lands wouldn't be poo poo without astrolabe though. Blood moon got put in the dirt by it.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Panzeh posted:

Snow lands wouldn't be poo poo without astrolabe though. Blood moon got put in the dirt by it.

Yes but thats not really my point. My point is that cabal therapist is a bad magic card.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

cabal therapy is one of the most skill testing cards in Magic history so it would be balanced in modern, the format where everyone is bad

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Panzeh posted:

I think I said this before but play more Ouphe. Just gimme Ouphe tribal please WotC.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Double sleeved my commander decks and even flattened them under some textbooks but they keep, uh, reinflating?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Argas posted:

Double sleeved my commander decks and even flattened them under some textbooks but they keep, uh, reinflating?

new card smell degassing

You shuffle them strange? What % of are foil?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

GoutPatrol posted:

new card smell degassing

You shuffle them strange? What % of are foil?

Just mash shuffling and only the odd foil here and there, so probably less than 15 in both decks combined? Using Katana outers, KMC Perfect Fit inners. They're clearly holding less air after I squish them flat (using a marble coaster, just gently pressing/letting gravity do the work before actually pushing down) than before but they're still getting some volume of air back afterwards. If I store them top-down in the flip and tray card holders, they are just a tad less reinflated over time than when I leave them top up.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
looked in two walmarts and a target and they didn't have any brawl decks despite eldraine product being on sale.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I lucked out ad foubnd the whole set at Wal-Mart. Played it today with the family, it's pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump collector
May 28, 2007
If a card is in NM condition otherwise, by how much should I devalue a warped card?