Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I hear there's a secret club and man I'm so interested in an idling club for secret seekers

edit: oh man now I'm watching numbers go up in style

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Atoramos posted:

I hear there's a secret club and man I'm so interested in an idling club for secret seekers

edit: oh man now I'm watching numbers go up in style

not only can you watch your numbers go up but you can watch other peoples' numbers go up and you can hear all the bitching about how numbers aren't going up fast enough what more could you WANT

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Don't forget about comparing your numbers!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

my number is definitely above average.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I try not to compare numbers

my number is fine

I am not self-conscious about my number's size at all

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The only number that matters is what Daily Spin tier you're on. Gosh 647 days worth of play..

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
My pp number doesn't go up as fast as I want :(

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Arcanum: Something happened in the update that added Spell Memorization and now Grimstalks are almost impossible to kill. Previously they were dead-killy (easily the most impressive standard enemy to that point, and maybe the only legit candidate to bring alongside you once available) but you could reach the point where you could out-heal their impressive damage AND rip through their regeneration, but now it's like I have all these buffs and a To-Hit that's through the roof but their regen is almost insurmountable. They can't really harm me but lol at the time it takes to down even one.

Combat really does need a balance pass or two.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Jesus, Grimstalks got buffed?! They were already awful compared to everything within like, eight levels of them - they were lich lord/ancient vampire tier because regen is the only combat stat that even matters because it consumes infinite IRL time versus finite.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Is there a list of skill caps anywhere? I'm getting to the end-of-t4 annoying phase where most skills are somewhere around 10-20, and training them past that will either take hours of holding enter or days of idling one specific thing, so it'd be nice to know what if anything (besides lore 30) is worth taking over 20.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Omi no Kami posted:

Is there a list of skill caps anywhere? I'm getting to the end-of-t4 annoying phase where most skills are somewhere around 10-20, and training them past that will either take hours of holding enter or days of idling one specific thing, so it'd be nice to know what if anything (besides lore 30) is worth taking over 20.
hours of holding enter is the way to go for sure, Focus owns

I checked the guide for you:
a dungeon at Planar Lore 30, which lmao at the concept of ever having
Shadow Lore 24 for one of the top tier classes
Demonology 20 for another
Nature Lore 20 for a Tier 4 class
upgrade at Planar Lore 20
upgrade at 20 Light (mana not skill) which I'm noting because I didn't even know that could get that high [this one's a pegasus mount so I'm pretty sure it's completely useless unless no other mount can reach the planar lore 30 dungeon which would be really funny and kind of flavor appropriate]
upgrade at 25 Earth (mana not skill)
upgrade at 31 Fire Lore or 30 Light Lore (holy poo poo light can go that high? I should delete my previous note but hell no)
two actions at 20 Crafting 30 Necromancy

So the real answer to your question is, take necromancy to 30, take fire lore to 31 and earth lore to like 20+enchantments to get to 25 earth mana, and then it's planar lore or go home

I don't think all this stuff is mutually exclusive, but I also don't know if any of it's worth it - I'd try for 30 Necromancy if you haven't locked yourself out of it by your paths so far because they have names that implies you're turning yourself into a lich, "Rite of Undeath" and "Craft Phylactery" but whatever floats your boat

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Oh cool, that's exactly what I was looking for- thank you!! Man, this game owns but I wish it was either easier to idle, or better-documented.

Of course, it updates like 50 times a day so I'm not complaining. ^^

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I mapped focus to a programmable mouse button with a toggle. I'm maxed out on it finally.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
My biggest complaint with arcanum is I can't make it research a bunch of stuff in a row, just one and then stop.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

In Arcanum, how do i get runes?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Crafting 15 is what unlocks it, I think.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

Crafting 15 is what unlocks it, I think.

ty

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Omi no Kami posted:

Oh cool, that's exactly what I was looking for- thank you!! Man, this game owns but I wish it was either easier to idle, or better-documented.
when I said "went through the guide" I did in fact literally mean clicking every spoiler tag on the discord, the documentation is awful (but I excuse the creator because they're just updating the game instead, so)

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I played Arcanum for a while but I've gone back to Incremental Adventures full-time now. The dev has added quite some nice QoL features lately, making the game feel a lot quicker and nicer to use.

There's still no new content beyond PL5 or so, but the level skip upgrades keep increasing so now I'm beating 5500 levels in about 15 seconds before it auto-prestiges and starts over. I like to watch numbers go up.

singateco
Jan 28, 2013
Arcanum is cool as hell, but they are constantly adding stuff so I decided to cool off with it for a while.

Steam version of NGU Idle runs like butter! It's good!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I need to go buy a lottery ticket. I got 85500AP on Friday and the consumables jackpot this morning from the wheel in NGU.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Newbie NGU question, I noticed the Cheese set is the last set without a boss kill requirement for max efficiency. Should I keep it around or is it okay to dump it and replace it with the next tier of stuff? Inventory space is still at a premium so...

and the claw won!
Jul 10, 2008
If it's level 100 and you found better stuff then dump it.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

and the claw won! posted:

If it's level 100 and you found better stuff then dump it.

Oh no I've absolutely been maxxing everything as I get it (including some stuff that was of questionable value to immediately max, like the boosts themselves). I guess I'll replace it with the Magitech stuff as it gets good enough.

Edit: Also, the ITOPOD perk page is daunting. What should I be aiming for after getting all the newbie perks?

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 7, 2019

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Infinity Gaia posted:

Oh no I've absolutely been maxxing everything as I get it (including some stuff that was of questionable value to immediately max, like the boosts themselves). I guess I'll replace it with the Magitech stuff as it gets good enough.

Edit: Also, the ITOPOD perk page is daunting. What should I be aiming for after getting all the newbie perks?

maxxing the boosts is not that bad. I waited a bit and went back and got them when it was easier to stockpile, but they're all multiplicative. With gear though the rule of thumb is keep accessories, toss everything else.

ITOPOD it's hard to go wrong with the generic EM stats, for now

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

A good early ITOPOD goal is get the first row completed. You can skip the 1000 PP perks for now but yeah start with the E/M buffs and work your way across the first row.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
All the fruit-related perks make a big difference. What a Crappy Perk is good as the first "big" purchase, it gives you a steady source of poop for your pomegranate, improving fruit leveling tremendously. First Harvest and Want Your Seeds will boost that even further, and then the knowledge fruit perks will turn that into your best source of Exp. You'll want to go for You'll Really Want This sometime in between getting those, you'll have to judge for yourself when you're up to sacrificing all other perk growth to save up, ideally when you've got a fresh 10-level milestone to start it off.

Don't do like I did and neglect the boring generic perks, though. All the E/M perks are good, Boosted Boosts will help power not just your equipment but also your cube, and put a couple points into Golden Showers whenever you feel like you want more gold. Crappy Perk is the only expensive one I feel is worth saving up for during those early stages.

Siamang
Nov 15, 2003
I'm playing this on Kongregate and all of the bosses after 151 are still the question mark images even though the game is listed as build 1.000 -1. Anyone else encountering that?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Siamang posted:

I'm playing this on Kongregate and all of the bosses after 151 are still the question mark images even though the game is listed as build 1.000 -1. Anyone else encountering that?

Intended. You unlock that lore once you make it to Evil difficulty. Or so I'm told. I haven't made it that far yet...

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Siamang posted:

You need to start Evil mode for them to start showing as actual bosses. The descriptions should probably change to account for that, it confused me too.

Siamang
Nov 15, 2003
Thanks! I think the part that confused me was that you have to reach boss 301 to start Evil difficulty, which seems like 'you have to go through this content before you can access said content'.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The description of boss 150 does tell you that you need to go to Evil mode to get the rest of the story after that point.

Siamang
Nov 15, 2003

Jabor posted:

The description of boss 150 does tell you that you need to go to Evil mode to get the rest of the story after that point.

I probably read, registered the information, and then promptly forgot. :downs:

I'm just to the point of idling Beardverse and building that set up to 100, and see that there are a lot of power/cap/bars ratios thrown around, but my base ratios are wildly different than equipped ratios. Does it matter that much at this point?

vuorikissa
May 1, 2007

something aka somethinggg aka 4G told me to post here and admit to my newfound NGU addiction (now that it's finally on Steam).

Hi, I'm vuorikissa/Marakatti, and I'm addicted to NGU.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

I just started running NGU a few days ago. I'm around boss 40, still can't adventure past the forest. There are enough things to put energy into right now that I'm just spreading my focus around and hoping that's the right thing to do

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Naylenas posted:

I just started running NGU a few days ago. I'm around boss 40, still can't adventure past the forest. There are enough things to put energy into right now that I'm just spreading my focus around and hoping that's the right thing to do

Try to get your Basic Training level reduced so it needs less energy for all 10 skills each rebirth, this is highest priority early

Do 1-hour or 30-min rebirths if you’re active, don’t worry if your number goes down a little

Get a level or two of the highest augmentation you can complete in 30 min or 1 hour

Spend your magic on a few points of blood to boost your number (make sure to cast the spell before rebirth)

Spend your exp on energy mostly, plus QOL stuff from adventure. Look at cost/benefit for getting bars vs energy speed. Bars are a multiplier- first one doubles your energy gain, second one 50% boost, etc

Shove your gold into money pit freely, more gold is better reward tiers

Don’t worry about leveling time machine just yet, it resets on rebirth and takes hours of all your energy.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I checked the guide for you:
a dungeon at Planar Lore 30, which lmao at the concept of ever having
Christ, I went into planar lore specialization because it sounded fun and I capped out at 22. No idea how to get to 30 unless one of the evil classes has a higher cap.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

RoboCicero posted:

Christ, I went into planar lore specialization because it sounded fun and I capped out at 22. No idea how to get to 30 unless one of the evil classes has a higher cap.

It's not normally accessible and if you cheat in 30 planar lore it's just 50 regular angels

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

oh god gently caress dammit

who added the zeroes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

oh god gently caress dammit

who added the zeroes