Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
What does that mean? If you mean third partiers are going to toss presidential votes in the trash, ok, free country but that’s not useful.

If you mean guess they’ll vote Trump lmao, gently caress that line of argument.

If you mean primary centrist Dems, vote in leftists at local/state levels and push the national party left, by all means yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Non-winning electoral strategies: blaming the very loving people you've spent decades selling out because it helped your 401k

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I do not know what you are arguing. Legitimately, I’m not loving with you or trolling, but your point of view has not been explained well.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The last time the country decided to trust the Democratic party they gave them a generational majority which was promptly wasted on protecting the banks and passing a 1990s GOP healthcare plan so maybe people are well justified in not buying into the lesser of two evils bullshit any longer

So less evil happened?

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

And yes, both parties have been actively working on loving the poor since at least '92 (the Republicans well prior to that). It's just a matter of how openly racist each party is and the pace and intensity of the poor loving, and "if you elect us, you will not be as hosed as if you picked the other guys, but we're still gonna gently caress you some, and we're gonna tell you it's your fault" is a pretty tough sell. It still works sometimes, but most of the poor just don't vote.

All that said, the power base of the republican party, money and population wise, is definitely white suburbs. Sure, a lot of rural areas vote republican and that matters due to how our system weights geography heavily, but that's not where influence within the party is wielded.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The last time the country decided to trust the Democratic party they gave them a generational majority which was promptly wasted on protecting the banks and passing a 1990s GOP healthcare plan so maybe people are well justified in not buying into the lesser of two evils bullshit any longer

The democratic party never had a real majority. The only reason they had a majority was because of people who are all republicans today.

The PPACA had its flaws, but in its original form much of the issues that exist today would not because there was a public option, mandatory medicaid expansion, and funding to pay for everything. It has been specifically crippled by opponents to make it horrible, and even still the ACA has saved lives.

The non-prosecution of wall street is bullshit, I agree, but 2008-2010 was not a real majority. The democratic party didn't have 60 votes in the senate, and if you took out the bluedogs they didn't even have a working majority.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Rural voters also already do have extraordinarily great amounts of power in the federal government by virtue of the way the senate works.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Welp. You guys got ebb screaming into the void now.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Stravag posted:

Welp. You guys got ebb screaming into the void now.

He's always doing that, it's not new

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Not usually so literally

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That's just reality working its magic

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LingcodKilla posted:

If so why poor?

Because most of them are the worker bees.

"If so" makes it sound like you disagree.

Edit: Joker is real good y'all

Godholio fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 6, 2019

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Smiling Jack posted:

I think I'm gonna log off the internet again for a while

Please loving do.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Please loving do.

C'mon shim, no need to be impolite. We're all friends here.

Even if I don't like his opinions as a general rule.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Whole lotta petty bitches out today

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Got lost in the hall of mirrors again

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Coasterphreak posted:

He may be a cop, but at least he feels bad about it

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Coasterphreak posted:

I’m not even being mean, that guy needs to disconnect. He’s crack ping’d himself pretty drat good. He needs a break from this crap.

Not even trying to be lovely, just being real.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

EBB posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

i've got you

https://twitter.com/infinite_scream?lang=en

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
You might think with all this political garbage - what's in this poo poo for Rudy? Obviously, it's something, since he's working for the President for free.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1180989397019348993

This is the Perry angle too.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

https://www.ajc.com/news/national/woman-managed-get-past-security-and-onto-delta-flight/3jd1HMi3rz9WiTVgyD7MeL/

loving florida, man

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Had a weird florida moment recently. Guy was riding a bicycle ahead of me, pulls a handgun out from under his bike seat, fiddles with it (maybe a press check but hard to tell), puts it back and keeps riding.

This was a one speed with a wide seat so unless looking for it like I was, whatever holster or whatever he had stuck to the bottom of the seat was pretty low key to casual observance but would be really obvious for a cop looking for it.

I didn’t know off hand if open carry was legal in Florida but after looking it up later, apparently not.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

How much does TSA cost to run each year?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Anything over 0 duetschmarks and we're overpaying

Edit: a quick search gave 7.78 billion for 2020

Stravag fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 7, 2019

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/parkermolloy/status/1180955730557452289?s=21

Americans typically go easy on presidents post-tenure but it’s fuckin’ wild that people are liking W more and more instead of the opposite.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I will forever loving hate George W. Bush, but even with all his fuckery he is/was a million times the man that Trump is, and much better as a president.

How loving awful do you have to be to get me to like W over you? Donald loving Trump that’s how awful.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

mlmp08 posted:

Americans typically go easy on presidents post-tenure but it’s fuckin’ wild that people are liking W more and more instead of the opposite.

He's vocally anti-trump and generally charismatic. Not a hard leap

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also: Rip Taylor died today.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

mlmp08 posted:

It's because he wasn't really the problem, he was a dumbass bastard but not the prime mover. That was Rumsfeld and Cheney. Dick Cheney is a man that's so evil, despite him being in power 20 years ago I still can't understand what in the name of hell he wanted to do.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Hexyflexy posted:

It's because he wasn't really the problem, he was a dumbass bastard but not the prime mover. That was Rumsfeld and Cheney. Dick Cheney is a man that's so evil, despite him being in power 20 years ago I still can't understand what in the name of hell he wanted to do.

What a chickenshit take on the presidency and the power of a president or candidate to choose those around them.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

mlmp08 posted:

What a chickenshit take on the presidency and the power of a president or candidate to choose those around them.

I didn't say I was a fan of the bastard

e: I didn't mean what I think you felt, GWB was an awful president, probably the worst one over my lifetime, not just a bit bad, there's a whole load of my friends who had to go into the military because they couldn't afford to live otherwise and got the living gently caress kicked out of them. He wasn't the worst bit of that government though, the people around him were worse.

ee: I'll never forgive him for that.

Hexyflexy fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 7, 2019

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Ginger Baker died too

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

George W. Bush differs from Trump in that the former had a moral compass that guided his decision making and presidency. You could certainly disagree with the directions it pointed him and the decisions he made, but at least you had a general idea of what motivated him. You certainly can’t say that for Trump, and it’s even odds whether it’s narcissism, racism, aspiring authoritarianism, greed or the brain worms feasting.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

pantslesswithwolves posted:

George W. Bush differs from Trump in that the former had a moral compass that guided his decision making and presidency. You could certainly disagree with the directions it pointed him and the decisions he made, but at least you had a general idea of what motivated him. You certainly can’t say that for Trump, and it’s even odds whether it’s narcissism, racism, aspiring authoritarianism, greed or the brain worms feasting.

I mean, GWB literally thought God had chosen him to be president. Moral compass aside, anybody who believes that is a few degrees from normal.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Hexyflexy posted:

Even if it was just out of political expediency, don't forget that Bush was vocally anti gay rights, campaigned on a constitutional ban on gay marriage, etc. That seems awkward considering Ellen's activism stretching back to that era.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Flikken posted:

He's vocally anti-trump and generally charismatic. Not a hard leap
He has the power to step forward as an elder statesman of the GOP and say he believes Trump has violated his oath of office and must be removed. Instead he, what, makes some offhand remarks to journalists for easy points and doesn't invite Trump to events?

Sure, nothing he says will persuade Trump's fanatics, but it would still be wildly more significant than Romney reiterating his deep concern. I don't care that it's taboo for former presidents to interfere in the affairs of the sitting president--the current circumstances are uniquely extenuating.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I want Jimmy to mission impossible his way into the white house and get the data that will surely sink donny once and for all

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Also: Rip Taylor died today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBlirvhuMLE

A shame, but dude had a good run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006