Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

dexefiend posted:

I don't usually do enhancements until level 27.

been having a bit of trouble with that myself, some characters just will NOT cross the 22-27 divide without a half a mil in SOs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
It's really simple:

1. Sell the first piece of orange Very Rare salvage that you get for a cool 500,000.
2. Buy a full set of DOs so you don't suck.
3. Enjoy the rest of your easy ride to 50.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Between rare salvage, lucky recipe drops, and cashing in merits for stuff to sell it's basically impossible to hit 22 and not have enough inf to make level 25 IOs and just be done worrying about enhancements until 50.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Update that I am sure everyone cares about:

As of level 39, Storm/Water Defender is loving amazing.

What it took: 4pc Dark Watcher in Hurricane, 5pc Annihilation in Freezing Rain and the Whirlpool ability, 5pc Expedient Reinforcement + KB->KD in Tornadoes.

It starts being amazing. I was doing a Fire farm earlier, and i was being really impactful. Felt good.

Edit: after using my abilities, every attack I have goes to a 95% chance to hit.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 5, 2019

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I don't understand the desire for IOs at 27, 22s work just fine. Don't put so much stress on yourself for a measly 2%.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

Between rare salvage, lucky recipe drops, and cashing in merits for stuff to sell it's basically impossible to hit 22 and not have enough inf to make level 25 IOs and just be done worrying about enhancements until 50.

I would caution against wasting merits on anything before you start working on your final build at 47+. Reward Merits are invaluable for buying recipes that otherwise go for massively exorbitant prices on the AH.

Freakazoid_ posted:

I don't understand the desire for IOs at 27, 22s work just fine. Don't put so much stress on yourself for a measly 2%.

It's not really worth bothering with IOs until you can slot level 35s, which is when they begin to outperform SOs.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Brave New World posted:

I would caution against wasting merits on anything before you start working on your final build at 47+. Reward Merits are invaluable for buying recipes that otherwise go for massively exorbitant prices on the AH.

Nonsense. There are so many easy ways of getting merits, and in large numbers, that exchanging 10-15 for a big stack of Enhancement Converters to then turn into a couple million inf is not going to derail anything you might want to do at level 50.

Putting up with the fluctuating power levels of SOs and replacing them constantly is also a fool's game and a complete waste of inf.

homebrand
Oct 1, 2011
Oh man I beta tested this in school and remember nothing but enjoying the jumping travel power.

If I wanted to do the dumbest solo poo poo as a stalker, which powers would I pick?

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

homebrand posted:

Oh man I beta tested this in school and remember nothing but enjoying the jumping travel power.

If I wanted to do the dumbest solo poo poo as a stalker, which powers would I pick?

I can personally vouch for Staff primary on a stalker. Pick the secondary based on your own concept.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Crasical posted:

I can personally vouch for Staff primary on a stalker. Pick the secondary based on your own concept.

Staff Stalker is a pro pick.

It normally lacks single target damage. But the stalker version replaces its weak rear end ST damage with Assassin's Strike and keeps all the rad AOE twirly poo poo.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Can personally attest that Staff/Rad makes for a good gassy hobo, if that's your bag. No idea how stalker /Rad is numerically, but it fit my concept beautifully.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

elec/shield stalker is pretty much the stalker meme build at this point. elec is another set that was saved from mediocrity by being ported to stalker and replacing some bad powers.

stalker is very good and fun overall though!

Doon
May 4, 2005
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
If you pick Broadsword, you can sneak up on people with a chainsaw.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Slag Golems are some bullshit.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

They are reskinned warwolves. That whole npc power set is gently caress soft controls. Because in issue 1, people would control warwolves and farm them. so they made that entire npc power set immune to slows and immobilizes. and gave em super speed. and gently caress off huge boulders.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The worst part is that pre-CoV launch they had an extended breakdown of Sharkhead Isle and made it sound like Slag Golems were this cool and important thing because they spent time talking about how they used some kind of procedural process to randomize the trash they're made of or something.

And then it turns out they're completely unimportant yet keeping showing up in missions to be a massive pain in the rear end. Also one of their missions still contains what I have to assume is a placeholder dialogue string ("We're Slag Golems and we're attacking!").

In terms of animations and general design they're reskinned War Wolves but they're arguably much worse in terms of powers. All War Wolves regardless of rank use the same two overtuned powers, meanwhile lieutenant and boss Slag Golems get loving Foot Stomp to ruin your Mastermind's day.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 7, 2019

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Also Slag Golems hit stupidly hard for no good reason.

I remember doing the Leviathan quest villain side and both my SS/WP brute and Katana/Elec Scrapper died multiple times there despite the 1/1 difficulty.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
https://old.reddit.com/r/Cityofheroes/comments/de7leq/and_this_is_the_last_time_im_being_baited_into/

:eyepop:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I seem to remember pretty much every zone in CoV has some kind of unique enemy that was really played up, but turned out to just be an overtuned one-note enemy group. They really loved -res sonic groups, for some reason.

It might be remembering wrong, also, but I'm pretty sure you meet a bunch of level 40+ enemies 5-10 levels early too, right?

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker
Slag Golems (and their bigger brothers, the Arachnoids) mostly draw their strength from their extremely spammable and *extremely* potent -Def powers on virtually all of their attacks. Very few ATs, much less powersets, in the game can contend with being hit by 80%+ of an enemy group's arsenal at all times in their early 20s, and turning things up to x8 even with a group was rolling the dice for how many people die to their initial alpha strike.

Arachnoids up the ante by doing bucketlods of Toxic damage and layering generous amounts of -Rech on all of their bullshit too. The bosses also get hold powers, but that's nothing compared to the absolute litany of garbage that Arachnoids can drop on players. I'm pretty sure they could go toe-to-toe with some Praetorian groups.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Oh boy. Skintones :nallears:

On the other hand,

Bobblewrap, who's working on this posted:

Everything everyone ever said about the UI code being terrible was a lie. It's much much worse.
:laugh:

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

spectralent posted:

I seem to remember pretty much every zone in CoV has some kind of unique enemy that was really played up, but turned out to just be an overtuned one-note enemy group. They really loved -res sonic groups, for some reason.

Hmm.

Mercy has Infected and Snakes, Port Oakes has ghost pirates and Coralax, Cap has Gremlins and Goldbrickers and Luddites, Sharkhead has Cage Consortium, Slag Golems, and Scrapyarders, St. Martial has Wailers, Grandville has Arachnoids.

Infected are boring, their plot never actually goes anywhere. They're just goobs that drank industrial runoff trying to get superpowers, though, so I don't know what I'm expecting from them.

Snakes are okay. Ancient magi-incarnate beasts slumbering in the caverns below the earth, slowly breeding stronger and more dangerous versions of themselves to become a ticking time-bomb for the island.

Coralax tie into the whole Leviathan story arc, they get a pass.

Ghost pirates are entirely missable, nothing ever directs you up to that corner of the map and you never really address the pirates themselves.

Goldbrickers don't ever really go anywhere, disappointingly. We never meet Midas and see what his deal is.

Gremlins lead into the whole 'beast beneath the mountain' thing which is neat. Luddites got a lot better with the inclusion of that new arc where you can see they're actually demonic dupes rather than just being a case of 'good is dumb'.

Slag Golems are... uh, pretty much the same as Coralax, narratively, just horrible to fight. Also the Scrapyarders make me feel bad beating them up (aside from the Demolitionists with their dynamite). Cage never actually does anything as far as I can recall, he's just an entirely mundane sort of evil in that he's an abusive and corrupt corporate employer with vague implications that he's gathering up red coral for magic purposes.

Wailers and Arachnoids are okay, it's been a while since I fought them so I don't remember if they suck as bad as slag golems. They are reasonably tied into the bigger plots of the zones they're in.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Wailers are okay except for how so much of St. Martial is kind of lame. It's impressive how much it managed to make hunting demons feel like chump work. Also stacking -res sucks.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Really? I like it. I'd take it over Nerva any day, at least.

I like Slot Machine and Johnny Sonata's story arcs.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

nerva's too loving big. never had a trip to nerva that didn't involve crossing a mile of open empty ocean

EDIT: I'm glad Arachnoids are Actually Difficult. I was loving up on them hard and I thought it was just because I sucked

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 7, 2019

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
Arachnoids are horrible. I can't think of any other enemy type that was as much of a roadblock to my groups momentum as getting into that mission where you had to hunt a bunch of arachnoid bosses in the Grandville gutters, an instanced map that was just nothing but other identical arachnoid models. We rolled through sappers, psychics, and all those Dark Astoria missions without trouble, slag golems were a speed bump (albeit one with a few deaths), but arachnoids were just wipe after wipe. Defeat them. All of them.

I think only Lord Recluse gave us more trouble just because of his endless minions.

But since it's City of Heroes we just turned the difficulty back down to normal from where we had it and won.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Crasical posted:

Really? I like it. I'd take it over Nerva any day, at least.

I like Slot Machine and Johnny Sonata's story arcs.

Yeah, Johnny Sonata and Slot Machine are good, but there's also so many contacts in St. Martial that're glorified newspapers. The Nerva ones all feel like they have a bit more crunch, though the zone is hell.

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

So who's the best contact, either side?

personally my favorite has always been the RADDDDIIOOOOOOOOO

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

here comes the spunk posted:

Radio Free Opportunity, Television, and Slot Machine are all high points

I had a friend recommend Bane Spider Ruben, whose arc I quite liked

but my favorite so far has been everyone's buddy D-Mac. it's important to have fun, I feel

EDIT: if you leave D-Mac hanging on his high-five request you're worse than Longbow

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 7, 2019

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Becky the Widow isn't a contact, but she's my favourite NPC.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

spectralent posted:

Yeah, Johnny Sonata and Slot Machine are good, but there's also so many contacts in St. Martial that're glorified newspapers. The Nerva ones all feel like they have a bit more crunch, though the zone is hell.

I should refresh myself on Nerva's arcs. Darla Mavis' arcs are...okay, even though she's just an unpleasant woman. Psimon Omega's are boring/bad.

I haven't done Technician Naylor's in a long time, since the game was originally running, but I remember it being suffering.

I don't remember the other two contact paths in the zone at all.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Bieeanshee posted:

Becky the Widow isn't a contact, but she's my favourite NPC.

It's a shame she only shows up in one mission.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

This seems nice but there's only one or two alts I can think of that could use the extra detail. Even then, I still can't dye The Loeb's large brain a proper shade of pink.

Although now that I think about it, I did abandon a couple character concepts because I couldn't find the right skin tone.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I'd like more skin tones and the ability to match the skin tone on tights. You can do some pretty neat cyberpunk-y concepts with the panel and perplex tight designs, but only the darker skin tones can work for it as the brown tight colors can match them.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Crasical posted:

I should refresh myself on Nerva's arcs. Darla Mavis' arcs are...okay, even though she's just an unpleasant woman. Psimon Omega's are boring/bad.

I haven't done Technician Naylor's in a long time, since the game was originally running, but I remember it being suffering.

I don't remember the other two contact paths in the zone at all.

Having just subjected myself to them recently, I can tell you that the hateful, hateful people who created the Nerva arcs thought it was a fantastic idea to use that very long, uphill Shadow Shard map for kidnap/rescue missions. For some reason, on this map in particular, the NPCs are particularly bad at pathing such that you have to move at a snail's pace because they're constantly briefly backtracking every couple of seconds.

One of these missions was bad enough.

But the number of these missions is not one.

Nor is it two.

I think it may be less than four but I may have missed one and I am always willing to be surprised and appalled.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the rogue isles desperately needed a second pass that just never came

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I remember reading through one of the post-mortem devblogs and Posimiller basically flat out stated that "Since Villains were only 20% of the playerbase, it wasn't ever worthwhile giving them anything nice'.

It made me kind of depressed.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

here comes the spunk posted:

Westin Phipps. Yeah, I said it...

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

You MONSTER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Crasical posted:

I remember reading through one of the post-mortem devblogs and Posimiller basically flat out stated that "Since Villains were only 20% of the playerbase, it wasn't ever worthwhile giving them anything nice'.

It made me kind of depressed.

this stuff is self-fulfilling too. make nothing for villains and people won't play them. if they had put the effort in, more people would have played villains- but it was clear the devs only made stuff for heroes so people played heroes

its like the WoW devs suddenly deciding to just not make Horde content anymore because more people play Alliance or something. its total nonsense

i'm really hoping that we see more villain stuff made now that there's new content happening though. people are hungry for it, they want it, there just isnt anything there