Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

goose willis posted:

Are all of the models in that box new, or are some of them old?

quote:

Not only does it feature 12 new plastic miniatures, including the stunning Incubi and Howling Banshee kits – not to mention two unique Characters, Jain Zar and Drazhar

Still, 12 new minis is pretty impressive for a battlebox where you usually only see one or two at most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
None of those DE models are needs-an-updated-sculpt old, they're all fairly recent and well designed.

Even the venerable Falcon still holds up, it doesn't need a redesign, just some refined kit elements, akin to the marine Tactical Squad refresh.

That Eldar Vyper, however...

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
That Eldar box seems like pretty incredible value since you can run it all as one army.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

JBP posted:

That Eldar box seems like pretty incredible value since you can run it all as one army.

I was going to ask that, do you run them as Corsairs or what? This box plus Sisters would be fun to try new schemes on.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

ijyt posted:

I was going to ask that, do you run them as Corsairs or what? This box plus Sisters would be fun to try new schemes on.

You just run them with one detachment of Craftworlds and one of Drukhari. Because they're both AELDARI that's fine.

The unit choices for both sides of the box are fuckin weird but I've never actually gotten around to buying Scourges even though the models are great, and I can always sell the Hellions on.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
You get to use their old new White Dwarf Ynarri rules from the sounds of the article.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Corrode posted:

You just run them with one detachment of Craftworlds and one of Drukhari. Because they're both AELDARI that's fine.

The unit choices for both sides of the box are fuckin weird but I've never actually gotten around to buying Scourges even though the models are great, and I can always sell the Hellions on.

Hell as long as I can paint them all in a unified colour scheme I'm happy.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Corrode posted:

I cannot read the minds of GW marketing people, but it looks to me like the model choice the Drukhari side is maybe motivated by "What will look really good on the side of the box and make people want to buy it?" Like, sure, Kabalites and Wyches might be the bread and butter of a Dark Eldar army, but if you were airbrushing a Dark Eldar army on the side of a van you would definitely go with the winged guys and the guys on Green Goblin hoverboards.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
The contents of the box also seem to be somewhat complementary to a Start Collecting set, so that probably factored into the decisions.

That, and some "let's shift some of these old rear end Vyper kits"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

JBP posted:

I wonder if the elf and dark elf codexes will have space marine style bonuses for running pure. I hope all new the codexes do.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Maybe some of those weird DE choices will have stat buffs?

Thatd be cool so probablly not.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

goose willis posted:

I liked how mysterious the old Necrons were and the minimalism of their army list somehow only made them more threatening

Like yeah now they're more tactically interesting and they have a lot of personality but they don't feel as scary as they used to be

This.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

What's a good transport case? The GW ones are easy to get and actually seem pretty good, but I've also seen people with (I think battlefoam) cases that have pouches for your books and stuff on them. Problem being those are expensive in AUD and if I'm paying $100 more just for a pouch I'll use the GW battle case and just carry a satchel like I do now.

Also size wise will the battle case be cool for a couple of repulsors, a couple of dreads and roughly 50 large troops (intercessors, eliminators, aggressors, that kind of size).

JBP fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 7, 2019

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I think the go to standard is KR Multicase but no idea how those cost over there.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

JBP posted:

What's a good transport case? The GW ones are easy to get and actually seem pretty good, but I've also seen people with (I think battlefoam) cases that have pouches for your books and stuff on them. Problem being those are expensive in AUD and if I'm paying $100 more just for a pouch I'll use the GW battle case and just carry a satchel like I do now.

Also size wise will the battle case be cool for a couple of repulsors, a couple of dreads and roughly 50 large troops (intercessors, eliminators, aggressors, that kind of size).

KR Multicase is always great, as long as you have the time and patience to decode their sizing system.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
The best thing is a magnetized case, makes transporting weirdly sized/shaped models so much easier than even a KR case, but does mean you need to put magnets in the bottom of every base.

I do still use my KR case a ton though and love it, just not as quick to take stuff in/out.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

PantsOptional posted:

KR Multicase is always great, as long as you have the time and patience to decode their sizing system.

Yep I've looked before and couldn't work it out. It also seems to mount up cost wise pretty quickly. I wish they just had a case where you said I want something to suit an army of marines (which it sort of lets you do, but then it's like add all this poo poo and choose a box for it that you've never seen in person) and hit buy.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Newcrons are great. Literally a race of Skeletors in space. Seriously, look at the way Crypteks and Lords behave in the fluff - they talk and behave like Saturday morning cartoon villains.

They totally could and should have pariahs though too.

Side note, how do T'''''au fare up in Arena Kill-Team matches, given that drones can't open doors? Entering a tournament and wondering if I should paint up some Tau as an alternative to my usual 1K sons.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

JBP posted:

Yep I've looked before and couldn't work it out. It also seems to mount up cost wise pretty quickly. I wish they just had a case where you said I want something to suit an army of marines (which it sort of lets you do, but then it's like add all this poo poo and choose a box for it that you've never seen in person) and hit buy.

Just ask their customer support and they'll get back to you with what trays you need.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cooked Auto posted:

Just ask their customer support and they'll get back to you with what trays you need.

That's a good idea I'll email them with what I need. I've become so online that I forget humans can assist.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
So reading this thread for time in years and I’m thinking of going Guard or Orks again. Orks are so much bloody fun but... do you guys know if there are any plans to release cheaper plastics for guardsmen other than Cadian? I’d kill for some Tanith, Valhalla or non FW Krieg. Plastics could mean I could build and paint slowly and as much as I love the Death of Cadia story (thanks Luetin09) I just want someone different. Any plans from GW?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
No.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

JBP posted:

What's a good transport case?

KR Multicase is the only thing worth buying.

Plus they ship to Australia for free.

Von_Doom posted:

Any plans from GW?

Nup.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Are there any neutral factions in 40k that could even kind of work for a knight lore-wise? I found 6 knights and I was thinking I could paint them up as some sort of neutral pirate or hired Gun faction so that I could use them with my chaos stuff or my Imperial stuff and still KIND of satisfy my ocd over aesthetic presentation.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
There's always freeblades I guess

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Are there any neutral factions in 40k that could even kind of work for a knight lore-wise? I found 6 knights and I was thinking I could paint them up as some sort of neutral pirate or hired Gun faction so that I could use them with my chaos stuff or my Imperial stuff and still KIND of satisfy my ocd over aesthetic presentation.
I don't know if they're still around in 40k or, if they are, what their status is, but you could check out Ærthegn. They were essentially a pirate knight house and technically followed Horus though they kind of did their own thing. Even during the Heresy there were reports of Ærthegn knights attacking traitor forces, saving loyalists, etc. It sounds more like they took Horus' gifts and fell back into piracy when the opportunity came. There's a big spread about them in Horus Heresy book 4 or you could check this out; I think it covers most of it.

Again, not sure where they wind up post-Heresy, but if you extrapolate them as a pirate house doing their own thing 10,000 years later you could run them however you liked.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Safety Factor posted:

I don't know if they're still around in 40k or, if they are, what their status is, but you could check out Ærthegn. They were essentially a pirate knight house and technically followed Horus though they kind of did their own thing. Even during the Heresy there were reports of Ærthegn knights attacking traitor forces, saving loyalists, etc. It sounds more like they took Horus' gifts and fell back into piracy when the opportunity came. There's a big spread about them in Horus Heresy book 4 or you could check this out; I think it covers most of it.

Again, not sure where they wind up post-Heresy, but if you extrapolate them as a pirate house doing their own thing 10,000 years later you could run them however you liked.

Imagine I posted that perfect in every way mad max emote

Thanks all.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeast posted:

KR Multicase is the only thing worth buying.

Plus they ship to Australia for free.

So I think I'm going to get the Kaiser Bag because it seems way more convenient than the aluminium stuff. Does anyone have one of these? They sound great and have all the pockets and stuff I crave. Should I get some of the precut foam as well as some I can make whatever I want out of? I'm looking at the triple size one should I go berserk and buy two impulsors to go with my 3 repulsors.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Finished a lot of 23 orks. That brings my boyz count up north of fifty. Less than forty to go and I'll have my ninety for a decent army.

Definitely not going to paint that many in a single go again, though. I found I was starting to lose time from missing steps on one boy or the other, or needing to go back and do more touch-ups, or just from having too many boyz getting in the way of grabbing paints and things. I think ten or so is a better number. Enough that assembly-line painting goes well, but not so many that they become unwieldy.

Next, though, will be a couple of HQs. I'm started on a Big Mek with SAG, and I've kitbashed a weirdboy from the AoS weirdnob. It'll be nice to actually take my time and do some better quality paintjobs again.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

JBP posted:

So I think I'm going to get the Kaiser Bag because it seems way more convenient than the aluminium stuff. Does anyone have one of these? They sound great and have all the pockets and stuff I crave. Should I get some of the precut foam as well as some I can make whatever I want out of? I'm looking at the triple size one should I go berserk and buy two impulsors to go with my 3 repulsors.

Yeah all the different KR bags own. Good choice.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

JBP posted:

Yeah I have two Kaiser bags and they're great. My go-to for most games is the standard 2-case where my dice, rulebooks, etc all live. When renovating my house a while ago I had to put most of my minis in storage, so I got the big 4-case bag too and that's ideal for the occasional Apocalypse game.

The 'pick-and-pluck' foam is generally better than the custom trays as you can make it fit perfectly. For Repulsors you'll want some combination of V1H or V1T trays.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

xtothez posted:

Yeah I have two Kaiser bags and they're great. My go-to for most games is the standard 2-case where my dice, rulebooks, etc all live. When renovating my house a while ago I had to put most of my minis in storage, so I got the big 4-case bag too and that's ideal for the occasional Apocalypse game.

The 'pick-and-pluck' foam is generally better than the custom trays as you can make it fit perfectly. For Repulsors you'll want some combination of V1H or V1T trays.

Do you reckon the 3-case bag will strike a nice balance and not be a pain to regularly take to a game? I could just get some extra card cases or a spare smaller case alongside a 2-case bag. I think I'll get a couple of full size pick and pluck for the tanks and junk along with a bunch of the troop ones they say suit primaris. This sizing system is not easy to work out but the product itself seems awesome.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
KR is great, and you should support them.

I have 16 cases worth.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah they're really good. (And you get used to the smell before long.)
I've got a couple of trays and one of the simpler bags. I do want more cases to stash away some stuff to get more space in turn in my display case but no real money to put on them right now.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

Do you reckon the 3-case bag will strike a nice balance and not be a pain to regularly take to a game? I could just get some extra card cases or a spare smaller case alongside a 2-case bag. I think I'll get a couple of full size pick and pluck for the tanks and junk along with a bunch of the troop ones they say suit primaris. This sizing system is not easy to work out but the product itself seems awesome.

I have a 3-case size, it works well. I tend to prefer the precut foam over pick and pluck.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What foam trays would you all recommend for storing Repulsors and Knights?

I have two Repulsor Executioners and a Redemptor for one case, and then one big knight and six armigers that I'd like to store in another set.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I have two Repulsor Executioners and a Redemptor for one case, and then one big knight and six armigers that I'd like to store in another set.

Is your Knight magnetized in the Hip?

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Corrode posted:

It has generated some truly spectacular rage, so it was totally worth it.

:smuggo:

xtothez posted:

Oh man. I just picked up a bunch of cheap models for my DA and literally started painting them today. That article didn't do a lot for my motivation. Especially as I sold off all my Ravenwing a few years back in favour of Deathwing and gunline units...

If it makes you feel any better, I trashed a bunch of metal scouts and stuff right before 8th dropped and they became the best troops Marines had. Also Dark Angels were never going to be good, so if you just make them slightly less good but they look cooler (bikes suck rear end to paint), I call that a win. The Chapter Tactic, much as it sucks, also lends itself well to gun-lining, so you got that going for you.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

dexefiend posted:

Is your Knight magnetized in the Hip?

Nope. Giant solvent-welded monolithic structure, although I recently cut the arms off and magnetized them so I could field a Gallant instead of the lovely Preceptor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

KR's Knight trays are great, but a big guy and six Armigers are 2 cases worth of foam just there.

EDIT: Looks like you can get both Repulsors and the Redemptor into one case though, and 3 total isn't so bad.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 7, 2019