Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Alaois posted:

when Pillars 1 came out, Arivia pointed out a backer tombstone on twitter that was just a bad transphobic joke, the devs apologized for letting it through and removed it from the game while people on twitter went apoplectic about her "censoring art"

Ah, I see. Just people being lovely and broadcasting their shittiness.

The backer who made the joke to begin with, not Arivia. Good on the devs for taking care of that and apologizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Alaois posted:

when Pillars 1 came out, Arivia pointed out a backer tombstone on twitter that was just a bad transphobic joke, the devs apologized for letting it through and removed it from the game while people on twitter went apoplectic about her "censoring art"

Also the guy who submitted said tombstone said he was fine with it getting changed to something not offensive but the freeze peach whiners didn't seem to care about that for some reason.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I had to look it up and oh nooooooo

cw: transphobia obviously
https://www.polygon.com/2015/4/10/8383627/pillars-of-eternity-transphobic-kickstarter-hate-feargus-urquhart

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

From the article it actually sounds like the person who wrote it also handled it about as well as possible (the devs contacted them, they agreed to change it and the devs put in the backer's updated headstone instead)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oof that original tombstone

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Zore posted:

ChibiiSoma had constant meltdowns about almost everything so its like cheating to post them.

I remember a huge rant in the Monster Hunter thread about how the new game was just appealing to idiot westerners and destroying the true roots of the Franchise when World was announced.

I know this was a few pages back but he had a few memorable crazy rants in the Monster Hunter thread. One was about how World was a bad gambit to appeal to Westerners and it'd flop hard and sink the franchise (it's since become the best selling Capcom title ever, not counting all the Street Fighter re-releases and such).

He was banned for a toxx that Monster Hunter XX would never be released outside Japan. He was a prototypical example of that strain of Games poster who alternated between miserable anger at games he poured hundreds of hours into and periodic meltdowns, so it's good that finally bit him in the rear end.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

For some reason I get the two of you mixed up a lot though. Did you have the same avatar at some point or something?

Don't think so, though our usernames do sound kind of similar if you don't come across them often.

But yeah, I don't think the shittiness of the tombstone was intentional (still oof, though), and that both Obsidian and the backer handled it as well as could have. IIRC the fact that the backer was okay with it riled up the 'free speech' guys (and for sure it was guys) even more, since changing one's mind out of consideration is censorship, apparently.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

CommissarMega posted:

Don't think so, though our usernames do sound kind of similar if you don't come across them often.

But yeah, I don't think the shittiness of the tombstone was intentional (still oof, though), and that both Obsidian and the backer handled it as well as could have. IIRC the fact that the backer was okay with it riled up the 'free speech' guys (and for sure it was guys) even more, since changing one's mind out of consideration is censorship, apparently.

That kinda thing happens a lot. Folks lash out at the person they were 'defending' when that person accommodates someone. Like even in cspam a few people were legit mad at a guy who goes around speaking about medicare reform because he stopped using phrasing like 'we're getting hosed by the insurance industry,' in his speeches when some people were offended by it (not the concept of profanity but they found 'getting hosed' as a perjorative sexist)
Yeah it struck me as something silly to get offended by, but the dude was trying to reach out to people and made them feel bad so he apologized.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I just read about that tombstone drama and had to do a double take when I read that the backer was willing to change it. I guess I'm so used to lovely people refusing to back down on things like that but it's pretty funny that the defenders were so dedicated to their cause their brains short circuited when the backer himself wasn't nearly as committed to keeping it as a bunch of internet randoms.

What a world we live in.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Amazing. Half of his posts in that thread are "stop whining for attention!" and then the punchline is his whining for attention

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Panfilo posted:

I just read about that tombstone drama and had to do a double take when I read that the backer was willing to change it. I guess I'm so used to lovely people refusing to back down on things like that but it's pretty funny that the defenders were so dedicated to their cause their brains short circuited when the backer himself wasn't nearly as committed to keeping it as a bunch of internet randoms.

What a world we live in.

It’s unfortunately not quite that simple. The backer’s replacement went something like “that bitch if she’d had a sense of humour this would never have happened”, turning it into a personal dig at me. So the guy was obviously upset about changing it, he agreed to change it instead of getting a refund and having his name pulled entirely.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Arivia posted:

It’s unfortunately not quite that simple. The backer’s replacement went something like “that bitch if she’d had a sense of humour this would never have happened”, turning it into a personal dig at me. So the guy was obviously upset about changing it, he agreed to change it instead of getting a refund and having his name pulled entirely.

Oh well that sucks even more :( I'm sorry

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Backer posted:

To anyone how was offended by this, I sincerely apologize. My intent was to ridicule the perpetrators of such behavior and not offend its victims. Any form of artistic expression leaves a lot to interpretation and is entirely subjective. But extrapolating any intent from a short limerick and crying in outrage is not the way to go about any of the struggles these victims face. Laugh at Firedorn's misfortune, his idiocy, his stupidity and narrow mindedness instead.
What a fuckhead. "Well Actually I was making fun of bigots and it is in fact you that is small minded"

Wow the blog post is so much worse than that article implies

Hub Cat has a new favorite as of 02:18 on Oct 7, 2019

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The replacement was in the article
"Here lies Firedorn, a bard, a poet,
He was also a card, but most didn't know it
A poem he wrote in jest was misread
They asked for blood, so now he's just dead"

I didn't read it as bitter as Arivia does, but I'm also not as close to the ordeal. Hell, I didn't even play Pillars, so can't tell you what the other gravestones are like and if it's in the spirit of the game, or if that's the massaged version the Obsidian folks created and the original backer wrote more of a whiny
"Firedorn was the greatest hero ever,
he would've saved the world again,
but a skeleton got mad and killed him for assuming their gender,
So much for the tolerant undead!"

edit:Holy poo poo, yeah he was thin skinned going by the blogpost. Arivia totally read it the right way. Dude may not have set out to say something offensive, but the way you fix that is acknowledge how it could be read and changing it -not whine that it's everyone else's fault for not knowing the intricate ~lore~ of the character in your head.

Coolness Averted has a new favorite as of 02:00 on Oct 7, 2019

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I’ve been through way worse. I don’t think it was right of Obsidian to let the backer use the replacement text as an attack on me, but the point was just to get the bigoted joke out of the game, and that got done at least.

@Coolness Averted: no, the guy really went off about how I was censoring him and that trans people were just being jerks with no sense of humor. It was definitely supposed to be a dig at me for calling him out. A+ tolerant undead joke though.

E: also this happened at the height of Gamergate. Totalbiscuit ended up baying for my blood and people were trying to break into my various social media accounts for months. Which, to bring it back to SA, is why I have a weird half-apologetic probation from VideoGames on my rapsheet for calling TB out and getting a bunch of reports.

Arivia has a new favorite as of 02:02 on Oct 7, 2019

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

"life imitates art" i say while i insist that my art only imitates life.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Arivia posted:

I’ve been through way worse. I don’t think it was right of Obsidian to let the backer use the replacement text as an attack on me, but the point was just to get the bigoted joke out of the game, and that got done at least.

@Coolness Averted: no, the guy really went off about how I was censoring him and that trans people were just being jerks with no sense of humor. It was definitely supposed to be a dig at me for calling him out. A+ tolerant undead joke though.

E: also this happened at the height of Gamergate. Totalbiscuit ended up baying for my blood and people were trying to break into my various social media accounts for months. Which, to bring it back to SA, is why I have a weird half-apologetic probation from VideoGames on my rapsheet for calling TB out and getting a bunch of reports.

Jesus

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

welcome to being a woman/marginalized person on the internet

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Arivia posted:

welcome to being a woman/marginalized person on the internet

Yep, it sounds pretty lovely

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

is gamergate still saying it's bad to lol at tb for dying of cancer years after saying someone should die of cancer for video game opinions

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

is gamergate still saying it's bad to lol at tb for dying of cancer years after saying someone should die of cancer for video game opinions

I feel like they'd be trying to canonise him if half of them didn't think the Catholic church was a Jewish conspiracy.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pretty sure nobody does gamergate anymore because they don't need a proxy to be Nazis. They can just be Nazis in public.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
At least we can all be glad that TotalBiscuit will never be a hateful bigot again, as his internalized spite infested his anus-cells and he died in loving agony.

Rest in piss you British tosspot, may all Gamergaters follow in your rancid footsteps.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Don't derail about Gamergate/Total Biscuit, thread.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I haven no stake in this, but what are you basing that on? If we're going on the amount of people that complain about that image, or "death" stuff on the Schad thread, maybe 6 people come out and complain, while the other few hundred involved in a thread say nothing and seemingly don't mind.

lmao, Bloody Hedgehog at it again, this time looking for people to explicitly say "I don't want to see memes from a photo of a murdered 14 y/o"

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Alaois posted:

Lol at the idea that a Kickstarter backer reward has anything to do with anyone's artistic vision, even if it wasn't bigoted bullshit

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

Lol at the idea that a Kickstarter backer reward has anything to do with anyone's artistic vision, even if it wasn't bigoted bullshit

:thejoke:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
So I’m literally four years behind on the dumb lifehack thread, and I just got to this amazing bootlicker bragging about how he Made It by Working Hard at loving Target fifteen (now nineteen) years ago and millennials are dumb and so loving lazy. No spoilers I don’t know how it ends but the smug obliviousness by this 35ish year old man of what it is actually like to work minimum wage in 2015 (or 19) is making me crack up and also dream of :thermidor:

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Me too! I was lucky enough that one of my first jobs I had in High School was working at Target, and since I could read and follow instructions I got to put together everything. All the display furniture, strollers, car seats, etc... They even had these little sheets they called "Plan-o-grams" for putting up the pegs and shelves and whatnot. That was actually my task on the first day. My boss said "Yeah, here is a sheet of plan-o-grams, it will probably take you all day to get this done, I will come by and let you know when your first break is." and it turned out it was incredibly easy and I had them all done by the time he came back, and he was super suspicious that I had done it correctly, but I had. So, lifehack: Utilize your free education and have basic reading and problem solving skills to get gainful employment! Walla!

IncredibleIgloo posted:

That would explain the displeasure evidenced in their faces when I was promoted long before any of them. Millennial Lifehack: Divest yourself of personal responsibility by blaming hardworking others for your lack of success.

E: loving lol, just volunteer to work thanksgiving! You get payed more!

No motherfucker you work thanksgiving because you’re scheduled to and you get 8 loving bucks an hour

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 13:45 on Oct 7, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Man, it's liberating post-2016 when you can just call people bootlickers.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Utilize your free education and have basic reading ... skills ... Walla!

Lmao

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Ignore this, need to read before posting.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Captainsalami posted:

Ignore this, need to read before posting.

What a saga!

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
As it turns out finishing reading the latest posts before asking a question is smart, which I am not.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

maybe he worked at the Target office in Pakistan?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
The Worst Expat Ever is a guy I knew back in Korea who used to work in a Target stockroom. My friend pity-married him because Jesus told her to. Yeah. Anyways, the dude talked about literally nothing else. Just Target and the wacky antics one got up to in the stockroom of this random Target in loving Alabama. We'd be trying to have a cultural experience or try some good food, and this fat smelly fuckbar would talk about the time that EVERYONE IN THE STOCKROOM WAS RIDING BIKES OMG WACKY!!!!!

Anyways, he is exactly the sort of person to actually and genuinely brag about interpreting a planogram.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Honestly? If you made me choose 1 thing from the years of retail I did that I didn't loathe, it would have been planograms. Every minute organizing product is a minute you're not interacting with customers.

Plus when you're stuck in retail for that long you start to grasp at straws, and "I made my store look really nice for 5 minutes until the customers hosed it all up again" was something to cling to :smith:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Honestly? If you made me choose 1 thing from the years of retail I did that I didn't loathe, it would have been planograms. Every minute organizing product is a minute you're not interacting with customers.

Plus when you're stuck in retail for that long you start to grasp at straws, and "I made my store look really nice for 5 minutes until the customers hosed it all up again" was something to cling to :smith:

I got that at restaurants with that brief moment of "this looks yummy! I've made decent food!" but never in retail. Retail is where dreams go to die. And then be mulched into smiles.

I'm working at a small vet's office right now and it feels insanely liberating to be able to just be mostly real with customers. I have literally no veterinarian experience and have no desire to be in this field. Like half of the work is the same dumb poo poo you'd do in a kitchen. But rock in with scrubs and a clipboard and suddenly the same granny with strong opinions about where the febreeze should be located in the cleaning aisle will treat you like a war hero.

still making near minimum wage but hey, at least it's $13.50 here and not loving $7.25. Right? :downs:

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 15:24 on Oct 7, 2019

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I built a massive cantaloupe pyramid once. It was probably like 4 or 5 feet tall? The best days in produce though were those two magical days a week I had to put away the truck. Because I never had to leave the back room and interact with people. I took my lunch at 5 hours and 59 minutes (not 6 hours because that was a write up) then came back and took my two breaks and hosed around the last two hours of my shift.

The worst were the afternoon shifts because it's exclusively interacting with customers.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Part of my enjoyment was that I gave myself a fair amount of leeway with the planograms, and amazingly the pushback stopped after a while (the district manager realized it was easier to just not say anything, since the way I was organizing stuff actually ended up significantly boosting sales for my store), so I actually managed to eke out a tiny bit of applied creativity in a retail job!

Turns out moving the "cool robot toys and Arduino kits" from the dusty back section where we kept the alarm clocks and cordless phones, to a window-facing front section, increased sales in that high-margin product line by a massive chunk - who knew? :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The planogram appreciaters have logged on