Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Destiny 2's new expansion has a revolver in it, the Loud Lullaby, that uses an updated and higher-quality version of the firing sound from the pistol in Marathon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

in Destiny 2, my titan looks like a post apocalyptic voodoo astronaut.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The last guardian is worth up to and including 40 bucks despite its flaws and I really like the architecture and spatial relationships of locations in it

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

moosecow333 posted:

I picked back up Bomber Crew and it’s been a really fun game so far.

If your engines become too damaged you will need to send your engineer out onto the wing mid flight to repair it. However, one time I forgot he was out there so when I initiated some intense maneuvers he lost his grip and got thrown from the plane.

The game also has a fast forward button when you’re over friendly land so you don’t need to waste a bunch of time when there are no threats about.

I wanted to like it, but it felt way too chaotic. My little guys needed to have a bit more agency because I couldn't keep up with them. A pause mode would've been nice.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

oldpainless posted:

The last guardian is worth up to and including 40 bucks despite its flaws and I really like the architecture and spatial relationships of locations in it

More like oldcomplainless

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In Assassin's Creed Odyssey there's one type of collectible called anigmata ostraka that are particularly hard to find on their own, as you need to use environmental clues and deduction to figure them out. New Game+ resets all your progress on the world map EXCEPT for these puzzles, which are already filled in for you.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
River City Girls is a fun side scroller brawler that picks up from the older RCR games. The sprites look really good, the gameplay is fun, and the music is really catchy. There's 3 or 4 tracks with vocals all done by the same artist, who meta appears as a boss in one stage.

One thing is there are shop keepers that sell you healing items, buffs and new moves. The guys that sell you moves are modeled to look like Billy and Jimmy from Double Dragon and are voiced by the Game Grumps

Another shopkeep is Skullmageddon from Double Dragon Neon from a few years back. Don't know if it's the same voice actor

A small thing in the game is the story, which follows the titular girls on a mission to rescue their boyfriends (the original RCR protagonists) who have been kidnaapped by someone. Through the story you encounter various clues and quest givers (some of which are voiced by youtube personalities) none of whom have any real idea where your boyfriends are or who took them. If you beat the end boss, you get the first ending where It turns out that the boys were never kidnapped. They just ditched class and took a spa day. They also don't seem to recognize the girls. . There is a secret second boss battle you can do if you beat the game once and collect 25 hidden items. This fight is against the two mean girls who you keep encountering through the game. I thought it was going to turn into some weird mind control twist, but no. The protagonists are just delusional. The mean girls even point out that this whole adventure is ridiculous as the heroes haven't been dating the boys since the 16-bit game from years ago, (and that didn't even get released in America).

Fixed spoiler

CzarChasm has a new favorite as of 02:36 on Oct 8, 2019

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Might uh, want to fix that second spoiler tag.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

CzarChasm posted:

There is a secret second boss battle you can do if you beat the game once and collect 25 hidden items. This fight is against the two mean girls who you keep encountering through the game. I thought it was going to turn into some weird mind control twist, but no. The protagonists are just delusional. The mean girls even point out that this whole adventure is ridiculous as the heroes haven't been dating the boys since the 16-bit game from years ago, (and that didn't even get released in America).

That seems really terrible.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Control is a really goddamn good game. Some of the collectibles involve inter-office memos and after-action reports on various supernatural events that the Bureau has investigated, including the aftermath of a previous game by the same people, Alan Wake. Minor spoilers for both games follow: What I really love is that the reports and such show that the Bureau has fundamentally misunderstood what happened in Alan Wake. They don't even seem to be aware that there was a malevolent presence driving the entire event and just think it was caused by Alan having a minor ability to rewrite reality. While I haven't beaten the game yet, it seems to be just one of many clues scattered around that the Bureau are just completely out of their depth when dealing with this stuff.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Polaron posted:

Control is a really goddamn good game. Some of the collectibles involve inter-office memos and after-action reports on various supernatural events that the Bureau has investigated, including the aftermath of a previous game by the same people, Alan Wake. Minor spoilers for both games follow: What I really love is that the reports and such show that the Bureau has fundamentally misunderstood what happened in Alan Wake. They don't even seem to be aware that there was a malevolent presence driving the entire event and just think it was caused by Alan having a minor ability to rewrite reality. While I haven't beaten the game yet, it seems to be just one of many clues scattered around that the Bureau are just completely out of their depth when dealing with this stuff.

They don't even know how the building they're in works. Or who/what the board is. They pick their director by handing someone a gun and waiting if the gun decides to shoot them or not. It's amazing how completely out of their depth they are. The best they can hope for is to keep the stuff contained as best as possible. And all that complete insanity juxtaposed to the boring banalities of everyday office work is just :kiss:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Polaron posted:

alan wake spoilers below

the bureau is out of their depth with the whole Hiss-pocalypse thing but their understanding of Alan Wake's events isn't completely off-base. they were able to suss out Zane's existence to some extent despite him retconning himself from reality, and their whiteboard notes even show that they clued into the contents of shoeboxes being immune to narrative-warping effects of Cauldron Lake. they otherwise focus on Wake because, by the time they become aware of the events surrounding Bright Springs, he's the only element who hasn't somehow been totally obliterated

i don't think they're meant to appear incompetent at their jobs, but they're a very large organization dealing with some very weird poo poo and it means that they're often slow to react or adapt to new events, sometimes with dire consequences

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

also they're focused on him because they were headhunting him for the Director role. Similar career/admin-focused shortsightedness as that which led to Trench and Darling unleashing the Hiss in the first place, proper banality of evil stuff. It's a theme that runs through the game again and again, like with the mold - the researcher lady refusing to destroy it because of how fascinating a research specimen it is, and guess who hired her for that exact drive and obsession she has? Darling.

And then a couple of jaded young millennial women have to come in and clear up all the mess. Control is thematically so good.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Haven't played Control yet but I super love that Remedy keeps their games in the same universe but slightly out of reach of each other.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TontoCorazon posted:

Haven't played Control yet but I super love that Remedy keeps their games in the same universe but slightly out of reach of each other.

sam lake is the kind of writer who only has a handful of ideas that keep getting remixed but remedy's games are spaced far enough apart that it doesn't bother me much

also i skipped quantum break entirely, which probably helped

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

sam lake is the kind of writer who only has a handful of ideas that keep getting remixed but remedy's games are spaced far enough apart that it doesn't bother me much

also i skipped quantum break entirely, which probably helped

I actually liked Quantum Break a bit but a lot like Remedy's other games, everything but the repetitive combat is great.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I'm a huge sucker for Control's aesthetic. Its kind of this weird indeterminate time period where everything looks like a government building from the 60s and everyone who works there dresses like it yet its definitely still a present day setting. It makes everything feel wrong in a subtle way.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Noita is a roguelite about being a wizard and exploring a cave where each pixel has its own physics. I just want to give it a quick shout-out for, in my first run, giving me progressively better and better wands with which to get myself into trouble until finally it just threw up its hands and put a nuclear missile on sale.

Protip: the safe zone for nukes is a bit more than five meters.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Been playing the S.T.A.L.K.E.R Anomaly mod alot these past few months and while it's frequently aggravating and difficult it really does look pretty sometimes,even on potato settings :

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I enjoyef the combat in Control a lot, and "themes common between games in a shared universe" is a lot different from "writer has no ideas lol."

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I started playing through Mafia 3 again for some reason, and I noticed a fun little detail-when you're driving a vehicle there's radio stations and stuff, like pretty much every GTA-like. But the little thing is that when you drive into a tunnel, the radio starts sounding more distorted and crackly. A cute little detail that the devs didn't need to put in, but I thought was neat.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

RagnarokAngel posted:

I'm a huge sucker for Control's aesthetic. Its kind of this weird indeterminate time period where everything looks like a government building from the 60s and everyone who works there dresses like it yet its definitely still a present day setting. It makes everything feel wrong in a subtle way.

Let me just say that uh... a friend of mine works for the government and that's pretty accurate.

No sense upgrading the decor with tax payer money. They need to use that budget to not upgrade the network, security, facilities or... just what are they spending that money on?!

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Oxxidation posted:

alan wake spoilers below

the bureau is out of their depth with the whole Hiss-pocalypse thing but their understanding of Alan Wake's events isn't completely off-base. they were able to suss out Zane's existence to some extent despite him retconning himself from reality, and their whiteboard notes even show that they clued into the contents of shoeboxes being immune to narrative-warping effects of Cauldron Lake. they otherwise focus on Wake because, by the time they become aware of the events surrounding Bright Springs, he's the only element who hasn't somehow been totally obliterated

i don't think they're meant to appear incompetent at their jobs, but they're a very large organization dealing with some very weird poo poo and it means that they're often slow to react or adapt to new events, sometimes with dire consequences

I mean, don't get me wrong. I don't think anyone else would do any better than the Bureau does. They clearly care about actually doing their jobs. They're just dealing with things that are so far beyond human comprehension that even their best isn't nearly good enough.

Now like I said, I haven't beaten the game yet so it may turn out that Trench was actually an evil mastermind and the Bureau his arm of oppression but I don't really get that feel so far.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Okay, FINE, I'll buy Control!

Stupid games made to appeal to exactly me.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

packetmantis posted:

I enjoyef the combat in Control a lot, and "themes common between games in a shared universe" is a lot different from "writer has no ideas lol."

that's not what i said. lake has a bunch of well-worn tools in his toolbox that come out in pretty much every one of his games, including but not limited to:

- multimedia/medium-blending, often in ways that call attention to the fourth wall. this started with a single twin peaks spoof in the first max payne, became much more pervasive in the sequel, and then by alan wake we were getting full-on live-action sequences spliced into gameplay. that's to say nothing of lake's long-time collaboration with poets of the fall

- ominous word-salad rants from antagonistic forces. again, starting with the Valkyrie trip in max payne, also everywhere in alan wake. reaches its peak with the hiss

- main characters who are often trying to break free of the circumstances/narratives constraining their lives, and usually he means "narrative" in the literal sense. MP2 was basically about max's fight to free himself from the bloody noir pastiche of the first title, and alan was trying to escape the actual story he'd written himself into at the beginning of his own game. meanwhile, jesse's game is called "control" for a reason

this isn't a knock on the guy, he keeps using these ideas because they work, albeit with varying levels of success

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Those are all extremely common themes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
ok, friend

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I'm giving WoW Classic a go and it's nice to go through that content without the auto-teleport looking for group stuff. I like having to walk to dungeons in different parts of the world. I meet people on the way and see things happening, get snippets of conversations and can intervene in combat. It feels like an actual world as opposed to the later expansions where they allowed flying mounts in Azeroth.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TheMostFrench posted:

I'm giving WoW Classic a go and it's nice to go through that content without the auto-teleport looking for group stuff. I like having to walk to dungeons in different parts of the world. I meet people on the way and see things happening, get snippets of conversations and can intervene in combat. It feels like an actual world as opposed to the later expansions where they allowed flying mounts in Azeroth.

This is how we all start off playing WoW, but eventually you'll hit endgame and dailies/World Quests and be thankful for being able to skip to where you need to collect the bear asses and wolf legs for the day.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
In DQIX I can not only pet dogs but I can also pet horses! Actually there's a lot of critters to interact with and cats all give this really tiny meow and it's adorable.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Playing Iceborne, the Monster Hunter loop really sucks me in. You want a weapon, so you need to farm a monster or two. But then you realize you could farm that monster much better with this other weapon, so you gotta quick get that. The weapon you want to use for that is about 2 tiers behind, so you gotta upgrade that, and ooh, there's an armor piece that compliments it perfectly. I've definitely gotten off-track by several degrees many times. But the feeling like you've always got a billion things to do is really addictive - thinking on it, kind of like a Stardew Valley / Harvest Moon repetition. You always gotta play one more day to see what became of your work, and tend the farm again.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I just discovered Signal Simulator, a game that has you playing as an employee of a SETI-like organization running a giant antenna array in the desert, with your only human contact being a helicopter that drops off supplies once a day. The isolation really adds to the atmosphere of the game.

Anyway, while decoding signals, there is a camera pointed in the direction of the antennas. At one point, I decoded one signal that turned out to be a human source - one notorious among space enthusiasts, among others - who seemed very confused. Seconds later, I hear a low roar from outside and see a giant smoke trail fill up the screen from top down. Apparently, the man lost something quite important.

The real kicker, though, is after going about my business for a few minutes, I head outside to do some maintenance on the antennas. After a couple of them, I notice something next to one of the arrays that seems out of place. On closer inspection, it is, indeed, very out of place. And, quite possibly, from outer space. It’s mine now, fucker.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is how we all start off playing WoW, but eventually you'll hit endgame and dailies/World Quests and be thankful for being able to skip to where you need to collect the bear asses and wolf legs for the day.

There are no dailies in classic wow.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Olaf The Stout posted:

There are no dailies in classic wow.

Yeah, but that wasn't the part I was replying to. It was the "ugh, flying mounts made travel easy" bit.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

RagnarokAngel posted:

There’s even an explanation for it: Altered Items becomes what they are thanks to the power of collective belief. Rumors, urban legends, any sort of focused mass thought on an item over time can potentially give it strange powers. Newer technology simply hasn’t been around long enough to develop that sort of space in our thoughts. Related, the Oldest House doesn’t really know how to deal with newer technology and so things like smartphones and computers tend to explode. It’s why the Bureau relies on pneumatic tubes for sending messages instead of e-mail, and the only contemporary computers in the whole place have protective wards around them to keep out the influence of the Oldest House. Basically, everything past the 80s is dangerous to bring into the Oldest House. Also No. 2 pencils

I also like that the entire Bureau resides inside something like a monster that can just kill them accidentally at any time, but that this is still safer and more secure than operating outside its confines

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 10:24 on Oct 9, 2019

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Man, I'm hoping someone puts together a good LP of Control. From all y'all's talk, it seems like an SCP game done right but I don't play many video games these days.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Control sounds like a good partner for James Vandermeer's book Authority, as an aside, and it sounds like some of the aesthetic might've been partly inspired by it. It's the sequel to Annihilation (which that one movie was based on), about someone stepping in as the head of a government agency investigating a supernatural phenomena, who then spends most of the book being stymied by the fact that everyone both inside and outside the agency has stopped giving a poo poo about it because they haven't found anything new in ages, and as a result everything's horribly underfunded and understaffed.

There's something really charming to me about the concept of 'the Men In Black are real, but they hit budget cuts'.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Cleretic posted:

Control sounds like a good partner for James Vandermeer's book Authority, as an aside, and it sounds like some of the aesthetic might've been partly inspired by it. It's the sequel to Annihilation (which that one movie was based on), about someone stepping in as the head of a government agency investigating a supernatural phenomena, who then spends most of the book being stymied by the fact that everyone both inside and outside the agency has stopped giving a poo poo about it because they haven't found anything new in ages, and as a result everything's horribly underfunded and understaffed.

There's something really charming to me about the concept of 'the Men In Black are real, but they hit budget cuts'.

Control is actually almost the opposite of that. The nature of the Oldest House makes it so that unless you know it exists, it’s impossible to be aware of its presence. This extends to the Bureau itself, which can safely work in secret, and also make whatever budget requests it wants from the government, since they naturally get lost and forgotten in accounting as a result of that weirdness. The FBC has enough of a budget to pull whatever kind of cover-up it needs to when an Altered World Event occurs somewhere, and they are actively running several disinformation campaigns, including tv and radio shows designed to make people disbelieve anyone talking about the supernatural. Like America Overnight, a conspiracy radio show that talks about how anything strange must be aliens, despite how close to the truth of something the callers may be

The members of the Bureau themselves are all fairly fanatical, both intensely enthusiastic and curious about weird poo poo and also largely unbothered by the insanely high death toll within their ranks that their work causes

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That said, it is indeed very obviously (and dev-admittedly) inspired by the Southern Reach novels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The "just another day at the bureau" attitude all the supporting characters have even as their workplace is being invaded by extradimensional horrors is one of the best things Control has going for it.