Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

TinTower posted:

So that was the inspiration for that Mitchell and Webb sketch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj5HTUr2Ki0

Think it was more based on the story of the filming of The Tower Inferno, when Steve McQueen demanded that he have the exact same number of lines as Paul Newman, and that they both had to receive first billing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Davros1 posted:

Think it was more based on the story of the filming of The Tower Inferno, when Steve McQueen demanded that he have the exact same number of lines as Paul Newman, and that they both had to receive first billing.

If anyone is wondering how the producers solved this conundrum, they put McQueen's name first in the billing but moved Newman's slightly higher.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Goddamn Olivier was so loving cool.

He's also the guy who did Marathon Man with Dustin Hoffman, saw him running around doing jumping jacks and asked why, and when Hoffman explained he needed to be sweaty and exhausted for the scene Olivier replied,"My dear boy, have you ever considered acting?"

To be specific, Dustin was in the middle of that period where the marriage is over but the divorce proceedings aren't there yet, so he decided he wanted to "kill himself" on this movie - so he stayed up for like 48 hours before his first scene in the chair, he was drinking like a fish, doing all sorts of self-harm to himself without hard drugs or cutting, and when Olivier saw him doing the jumping jacks and looking like absolute poo poo, he shot out that classic line.

Later, as the production was wrapping, Olivier asked Hoffman to come to dinner with his family. The night wears on, and Dustin decides that he needs to ask Olivier a question, because Olivier is on the slow decline to certain death at this point - Olivier was intensely frustrated by the fact that he couldn't keep the lines in his head for the movie, understandable when he had four or five entire Shakespeare plays in memory only a decade or two before - and so Hoffman asks: "Larry... Mr. Olivier; why do we do this? Acting, I mean. Why do we do what we do?"

And Laurence Olivier grips either side of the table, and forces himself to his feet. He leans over the table, and says: "my boy, I'll explain it quite simply." And he gets real close to Dustin's face, we're talking a nose-length's space apart, and he goes, "lookatmelookatmelookatmelookatme..." before sitting back down.

Man had zero qualms over why he was an actor, or why anyone becomes a public performer. He just took his job seriously and enjoyed the hell out of it.

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 7, 2019

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm glad I voiced my concern because all of these Laurence Olivier stories rule.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
https://mobile.twitter.com/ryansatin/status/1181042793063387136

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

MJeff posted:

I'm glad I voiced my concern because all of these Laurence Olivier stories rule.

Two more Sleuth-related bits of trivia and then I'll stop. :v:

1. Caine and Olivier didn't socialize much offset...until Caine was watching Wimbledon (IIRC) on his TV set, and heard a knock at the door. It was Olivier, wondering if he could join Caine in watching the tennis.

2. Caine related how Olivier was having a lot of trouble getting to grips with his role, until someone suggested Olivier wear a false mustache for the character, at which point a switch seemed to have been flipped and Olivier had no more trouble. I believe he even told Caine that it helped having the fake moustache to hide behind for the role.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

it took people like seventeen cockteases with Braun to finally get the picture (when I was shouting it as loud as I could for months, because I'm always right), so I'll just say it outright right here.

Bray
Is
Never
Getting
That
Belt

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
He already got the belt and it sucked

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MJeff posted:

it took people like seventeen cockteases with Braun to finally get the picture (when I was shouting it as loud as I could for months, because I'm always right), so I'll just say it outright right here.

Bray
Is
Never
Getting
That
Belt
Just like the first incarnation of Bray Wyatt, I'm sure it will eventually happen once they've completely neutered the character and killed everyone's desire to actually see it happen.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Just like the first incarnation of Bray Wyatt, I'm sure it will eventually happen once they've completely neutered the character and killed everyone's desire to actually see it happen.

Bray getting the belt actually loving ruled for like.

Three weeks.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Defending the extrajudicial killing of journalists by an oppressive monarchy because the company whose wrestling I grew up watching takes money from them

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
https://twitter.com/BrayWyattGuy_98/status/1181113813707345920?s=20

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

*gets served a sandwich drenched in diarrhea*

Hmm, yes, well, you might think this tastes like poo poo, but maybe that's the point and it's actually genius

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
*gets hit over the head repeatedly with a brick*

Yes, you might think that I'm slowly being bludgeoned to death but once I become a vegetable I'll never have to work again so it's actually genius.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

WWE doesn't deserve benefit of the doubt. They've dropped the ball, or just thrown it directly in the mud out of spite, far, far, FAR too many times to deserve benefit of the doubt. Why do people keep letting them get away with this poo poo? It never pans out. What was the last thing WWE did that everyone hated that turned out alright that wasn't literally changed by sheer force of fan pushback? Kofi and Bryan winning the title at WM35 and 30 abso-loving-lutely would not have happened if fans weren't making GBS threads themselves in outrage for weeks (or in Bryan's case months) leading up to the show. Nothing they've ever done in recent memory that resulted in """"heat"""" has ever paid off. But no, just wait and see. Maybe they have a plan. Maybe this is good heat. Maybe they're going somewhere with it.

No they aren't. They never loving are. Vince is going to either forget this even happened and move on or he's going to run it back for 3 more months with the Fiend losing in more pathetic ways each time, then Seth's going to lose the belt on Raw in 2 minutes to Goldberg or something. If you actually believe there will be anything even resembling gold at the end of this painbow you are a naive fool, and you are exactly the kind of mark they've been preying upon since they told people Pat Patterson unified the North and South American championships in a tournament in Rio de Janeiro. Once a carny, always a carny.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
"Here's your food!"

"This food tastes like poo poo"

"Haha I put in poo poo it because this was my plan all along"

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
The other dumb take you see is people replying "but you'll watch Raw on Monday!!!" to ANYONE that tweets something about this being the final straw for them - especially since the ratings in the last four years or so have shown that people indeed are turning off their TVs in droves from WWE stuff.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

tired: the fans are booing at you :smith:

wired: the fans are booing WITH you :smug:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Defending the extrajudicial killing of journalists by an oppressive monarchy because the company whose wrestling I grew up watching takes money from them

Ah yes, murdering people who say mean things about you is totally cool.

Holy poo poo.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Trump has poisoned people’s brains wrt journalists

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oh, I know. My partner is a journalist for a conservative rag (she doesn't like it, but was out of work for the better part of a year, so a paying gig is better than nothing) and she will occasionally read me the hate mail they get, and it's kind of scary, particularly since it often trends toward they're not conservative enough.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

My friend used to work at the complaints department at the BBC and would get stuff like “There are too many Jews on TV” every day

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

jesus WEP posted:

My friend used to work at the complaints department at the BBC and would get stuff like “There are too many Jews on TV” every day

Wow Jeremy Corbyn, less time writing letters and more time stopping Brexit like the great Jo Swinson.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
I was perhaps unkind unknowingly

Gambit from the X-Men fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 7, 2019

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

E; ditto

Insertnamehere31 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 7, 2019

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES
I skipped to the end and thought he had given the main event by itself 29 stars.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Ok not to say i agree with his ratings but isn’t that one of the guys who mainly posts on the lefty Wrestling FB page? I inferred that he is somewhat on the spectrum and he seems to enjoy watching and giving star ratings to shows. People just kind of let him do his thing. Maybe I’m totally wrong, but cmon. Don’t be a dillweed about him.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Ok not to say i agree with his ratings but isn’t that one of the guys who mainly posts on the lefty Wrestling FB page? I inferred that he is somewhat on the spectrum and he seems to enjoy watching and giving star ratings to shows. People just kind of let him do his thing. Maybe I’m totally wrong, but cmon. Don’t be a dillweed about him.

I just joined that page and did not realize this

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

I just joined that page and did not realize this

It’s good man, it took me a week or so to pick up on it too. I think it’s just a place where he feels comfortable posting these ratings and won’t get a bunch of lovely wrestling fans arguing with him and calling him names.

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES
https://mobile.twitter.com/RealCCG_YT/status/1181027498693447680

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

i deeply hate this guy and wish he wasn’t allowed on the internet

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Oh God that's weird Izzy pedo guy, isn't it?

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

https://mobile.twitter.com/MaracleMan/status/1181129803543523329

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Is that the guy who was creepy about that Bayley superfan kid, deleted his whole twitter in shame then made another one with a very similar handle whilst also claiming to be trying to distance himself from his previous actions?

Because lol.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
https://twitter.com/i/status/988613131646648320

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

How do people with this mentally still exist? How??

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Honestly it's no worse than people who base so much of their life on any one BRAND. Marvel/DC, Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo, etc.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

sleepwalkers posted:

Oh God that's weird Izzy pedo guy, isn't it?

yeah. he makes me upset.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

This Fiend guy sounds real loving strong if he can kill someone twice by laying on his back and getting his face smashed in for like ten minutes straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

I want to see where this Arquette title reign goes too